Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

wondering if there was any meaning behind a dream i had...

edited February 2006 in Faith & Religion
A few years ago all i had seen of budda was the little laughing buddas you can find in walmart for $5.25. I had an odd dream a few months ago and i thought nothing of it at the time. But recently i've been having second thoughts about it.

It [my dream] began when my mother took me to another country because of somthing at work. i wanted to look around the area outside of the hotel and she said i could. I left the hotel and looked around an open air market. i turned a corner and 3 men tried to rob me, so naturally i ran. i ran through countless alley ways and found a stone door, i opened it and ducked in, the three robbers wouldnt enter seemingly because they were afrsid to. ignoring this i continued down a long stone passageway of black marble. I enterd a large room filled with water and a large golden statue on an island of marble [which was pretty much a black slab of marble that rose maybe 2 inches above the water] i heard the men behind me and i dove into the water and swam to the island and hid beside the statues arm. [the statue itself was made of gold and was thee size of a 6 foot man sitting indian style] the men stopped at the door and refused to go any further as they scanned the room for me. I sat behind the staue shaking with fear, i leaned against it and it was soft, as if the statue was not made from gold at all but as if it was an actual person. I put it to one side of my mind until the statue moved its hand onto mine as if to calm me [and quite frankly it did work]. the men left after a aountless amount of time and i moved to sit just before the staue and looked at it puzzled, it motioned to the water ad cupped its hand and motioned as if to pour somthing on its arm. i took the hint and cupped some of the cool water in my hands and poured it onto the statues arm as directed, the gold washed away and i watched it trickle off of the slab and into the water and it gathers i a golden pool around the slab. i looked back at the arm and where the gold had washed away was skin, i cupped more water into my hand and was about to repeat the process but i woke up.

As i said i thought nothing of the dream until i had to do a report on it in my world geography class and stumbled upon a statue of budda that was in hongkong. so since then [this was about 3 months ago] i had been searching to some place that might tell me if my dream ment anything.

so what are your opinions?

thanks for at least reading my post ~Miya

Comments

• edited July 2005
    MiyaCrane wrote:
    tell me if my dream ment anything.

Firstly let me compliment you on having a very poignant dream.

Some of the sangha here will tell you this dream is an awakening - others will tell you it means nothing.

What is really important is whether or not you truely think this dream has meaning.

So I will ask you:

What does the dream mean to you?
  • edited July 2005
    Firstly let me compliment you on having a very poignant dream.

Some of the sangha here will tell you this dream is an awakening - others will tell you it means nothing.

What is really important is whether or not you truely think this dream has meaning.

So I will ask you:

What does the dream mean to you?

if i only knew.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I believe that each of us could recount our own reactions to your dream, MiyaCrane, it is so full of meanings.

I want to thank you for sharing it with us: it led me to an interesting meditation.

BSF's question is a wise one (quelle surprise!) but I would like to say that this 'feels' like a big dream and you might find it useful to explore it. If you think that one of us can help, why not send a PM?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Speaking of dreams I had a strange one last night. I dreamed that I was visiting a Buddhist temple that seemed vaguely familiar. It turned out that the abbot from the temple I go to was it's abbot. In the dream I wondered if this temple was supposed to be the same one. I happened to see the abbot and so I went to talk to him for a while. It was a friendly talk, nothing really about Buddhism, and nothing really important. He was busy and eventually had to leave. Later I had a strange feeling and went back at night. It turnrd out that he became very sick and was about to die. The monks all were sad and wondering who would relpace him as abbot. It makes me wonder if he is alright. I want to go Sunday if I have time to make sure it was only a dream.

I got another shock today at work when a young lady that I took an order from feinted. I saw this man with a t-shirt with the Thai flag on it. I said,"Sawadee" which is hello. He responded with ,"Sawadee cup sabaidee mai?" which means hello how are you. As soon as I said,"Cup sabaidee." which means I am good, the lady just fell forward on her face. Everyone ran over to see if she was ok, and I ran to the phone to call 911.

It was really strange the way it all happened. I eventually left work early, and I decided to relax by checking the forum.

p.s. That is quite a dream you had MiyaCrane. Maybe it means that Buddhism is the right Path for you. I don't know. It's intriguing nonetheless.
  • edited July 2005
    OK, id like to learn more about buddhism, the fundamentals and such. does anyone have any links or references i that could use to learn more? :) ?

p.s and thank you for all your replies, its nice to be able to post some where and not have you head bitten off. :D
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I keep having dreams and talkingabout them and no one ever offers much advice. I will be honest. I am lost, too.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Links (reading):

http://www.buddhanet.net/
    http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/
    http://www.saigon.com/~anson/ebud/ebidx.htm
    http://mahamakuta.inet.co.th/english/b-way.html
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index.html

Links (Listening):

http://www.mettaforest.org/Audio%20Dhamma.htm
    http://www.dhammatalks.org.uk/index2.htm

Take your time and read whatever is easy for you to understand. Skip anything that seems too difficult. Just see if anything sounds good and appeals to you. If it does, study it a little more. If it doesn't, then just leave it aside.

Sorry, I don't interpret dreams. Some dreams are just dreams. Others involve things in people's subconsious that I couldn't begin to delve into without knowing them. Some may be more, but I cannot say for sure. I wish I could be of more help.
  • edited July 2005
    Somebody always seems to post a topic before I get around to it. =P I have meant for a while to post about this. I keep having dreams about my family members dying and tonight I fell asleep at approx. 9 PM. I woke up two hours later and I had a dream about my father being killed horribly in a fire. He is sick in real life and I constantly worry about him, but he has been better lately. In my dream he came to pick me up from my job and walked inside. He decided to pick up a tool (I work as an auto mechanic's assistant). When he picked up the tool, he sat it down and it knocked a can of Carb Cleaner (powerful auto parts cleaner if you don't know) and it hit my boss's tire balancer and it shorted out and engulfed in flame. My father was standing next to it and it burned him alive while I had to watch horrificly. I mean, I saw it as if it was real, down to the last atom of skin, I saw it as if it were really burning in real life. We burried his remains and tried to live without him, but my life fell apart in my dream. This all happened shortly after my best friend in the entire universe, my dog Willie, was killed by a car when he wondered onto the road. As odd as it sounds, I love Willie even now more than I love my friends and family. My parents have been having marital problems since around the time my dad got sick and we got Willie, and I remember several times when they would start yelling and fighting about pointless things and they would literaly throw Willie out of their room and I would pick him up and cuddle with him on our couch until they stopped. He meant the world to me and when my mother told me he had been hit, I ran faster than I've ever ran before to see him one last time before we buried him. Since then I have been depressed off and on for days at a time. If anyone has any advice they can offer me about any of this, please just PM me or post it here. I'm sure I've posted about my dog already on the forums, so please excuse this one here.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Spacey,

My deepest sympathy for your loss.

Mourning is mourning. It is a pianful process through which mind and body both go. If, perhaps, we were well-practised and settled in the View, such storms in the ocean would not affect us as deeply, although HHDL wept with us when we spoke of my wife's (then recent) death. And the Taras were born (in the stories) from the tears shed by Avalokiteshvara.

Buddhism is often, in the West, portrayed as a path of dispassionate coolness. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh writes:
    Without suffering you cannot grow. Without suffering, you cannot get the peace and joy you deserve. Please don't run away from your suffering. Embrace it and cherish it. Go to the Buddha, sit with him, and show him your pain. He will look at you with loving kindness, compassion and mindfulness, and show you ways to embrace your suffering and look deeply into it. With understanding and compassion, you will be able to heal the wounds in your heart, and the wounds in the world. The Buddha called suffering a Holy Truth, because our suffering has the capacity of showing us the path to liberation. Embrace your suffering, and let it reveal to you the way to peace.
  • edited July 2005
    Spacey,

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your dog, Willie. I have been lucky enough to have had a special pet of my own, a little Toy Poodle named Dior. Dior was picked out by my mother, but he decided he wanted to "choose" me as his "special human family member." LOL! He was a great dog and he lived until the age of 16 years. I was inconsolable for some time after his death. Dior was, of course, the entire family's dog but he and I just had a special relationship. Anyway, I am sending prayers and comfort your way. Take care.

Adiana :)
  • edited July 2005
    Spacey, my feelings go out to you. On Christmas Day 2 years ago, my dogy Lucy was run over by a car due to my inattentiveness. She died a slow, painful death while I watched helplessly.

That night I had a vivid, startling dream in which I held a vein between my fingers and felt its thinness like cooked spaghetti. The difference between life and death is that small.

Not very uplifting words, I'm sorry.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Actually I haven't got no idea what does the Buddha say about such dreams... Do they mean something, tell something, or are they simply dreams?

I always dismiss most dreams as simply being dreams.
  • edited February 2006
    MiyaCrane wrote:
    A few years ago all i had seen of budda was the little laughing buddas you can find in walmart for $5.25. I had an odd dream a few months ago and i thought nothing of it at the time. But recently i've been having second thoughts about it.

Dear Miya

Thank you for sharing your remarkable dream with us.
    I cannot interpret your dream. I don't think anyone can interpret another persons dream.

Perhaps the dream is symbolic. Perhaps it represents the future. Or an alternate reality, something that is yet to be..

May you find the answers.

Best wishes, and hugs
    May you find what you seek..

Hope
  • edited February 2006
    spacey wrote:
    Somebody always seems to post a topic before I get around to it. =P I have meant for a while to post about this. I keep having dreams about my family members dying and tonight I fell asleep at approx. 9 PM. I woke up two hours later and I had a dream about my father being killed horribly in a fire.

Dear Spacey

I had a mental breakdown and severe depression when my dog died. I think I have a rough idea of how you feel.. Wish I could help you feel better..

if you would like to chat with me or if I could help you in any way please tell me.

If you are suffering from depression please seek advice of others and/or counselling. Don't suffer in silence..

Prayers and best wishes
    Hope
  • edited February 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Actually I haven't got no idea what does the Buddha say about such dreams... Do they mean something, tell something, or are they simply dreams?

I always dismiss most dreams as simply being dreams.

Well Buddha does describe certain dreams and their significance... I think he described them as visions. I think he described his mother having a dream which fortold his birth
    (http://www.bactervira.com/WisBib_07w1/17BUDD_Y_07w1.htm)

In Buddhism dreams do appear as fortelling future events, and with symbolic significance..

[note - above just from what I remember.. ]
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I keep having dreams and talkingabout them and no one ever offers much advice. I will be honest. I am lost, too.

Okay, Comic.

Tell me one of your dreams and I'll tell you what I think about it.

-bf