Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Killed a fly today - though for a reason- feeling bad

edited January 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I killed a fly today - though for a reason feeling bad
is there anything i should do
still feeling bad...

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2009
    suman,

My advice would be to make an effort to refrain from such actions in the future with the understanding that all living beings, whether big or small, simply desire to live their lives and be happy in their own way, according to their specific capacities. In essence, try to develop compassion for all living creatures and see where that takes you. Personally, I've found that it's made me a much kinder and happier person. Perhaps you will too.

Jason
  • edited July 2009
    Let me tell you something. This case is with spiders,

I used to be a good guy, I used to move spiders outside even if it took 30 minutes, I was afraid of them and afraid of hurting them. There were very many- i live in the basement of a house etc, there would be at least 3 or 4 on the wall if I inspected it...at any given time,

then one day, like today , I got super pissed, i was in a really bad mood, and I saw one of these spiders, i really killed the fuckin shit out of him, I squashed him with pure rage and I liked it. I liked the fact that i wasn't putting up with their shit, anymore, not wasting time moving them and letting them make me afraid,

So then another spider,- and I murdered that one too, I found a flat swiffer like broom and made it my new weapon, only for killing spiders, it worked great, I started a count and posted it online for all to see, i got to about 13- or 14 spiders, but then i realized that everytime i saw a spider i got excited, not afraid, because I wanted to kill them.

so my question to you is, do you really feel bad? or did that fly get in ur face and u fuckin killed the mother fucker, its not ur fault he's too stupid to risk his life , RIGHT?
  • edited July 2009
    If you're asking my opinion, I've always found that to observe your thoughts as you are thinking them, and then--don't judge them, just observe them--anger fades to calm. Joy to contentment. And sorrow to understanding.

What I usually have trouble with then, however, is not knowing what to do next... ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Flies and mosquitoes are fair game to me. They die.

I don't consider them to be sentient beings, but harbingers of disease and filth.
    If they're not sentient beings, no harm done.
    If they are, I consider any future life has to be better than the one they're in, anyway.
  • edited July 2009
    *gasp* :O
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Flies and spiders do possess the ability to sense and feel which makes them sentient beings. A rock, for example, is probably not a sentient being. I base this belief on scientific understanding as well as the understanding of the Buddhist teachers I've read and spoken to.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2009
    federica wrote: »
    Flies and mosquitoes are fair game to me. They die. I don't consider them to be sentient beings, but harbingers of disease and filth. If they're not sentient beings, no harm done.
    Dear Federica

Flies and mosquitoes are sentient beings. A sentient being is a being that breathes. The first precept is:
    Panatipata veramani sikkha padam samadiyami

I take the precept to abstain from destroying living beings.
    The Pali word 'pana' means 'breath'. The precept is to abstain from destroying 'breathing things'.

The Buddha advised:
    "[4] And what are the fermentations to be abandoned by tolerating? There is the case where a monk, reflecting appropriately, endures. He tolerates cold, heat, hunger & thirst; the touch of flies, mosquitoes, wind, sun & reptiles; ill-spoken, unwelcome words & bodily feelings that, when they arise, are painful, racking, sharp, piercing, disagreeable, displeasing, & menacing to life. The fermentations, vexation, or fever that would arise if he were not to tolerate these things do not arise for him when he tolerates them. These are called the fermentations to be abandoned by tolerating.

Sabbasava Sutta
    If flies and mosquitoes are harbingers of disease and filth, then possiblity a right intention may save us from reaping the negative results of such karma.

However, given disease is rarely caused by flies and mosquitoes in developed countries, I personally cannot see any right intention that will save one from reaping the negative results of such karma.

Where I live, dengue fever is growing in its occurance. Killing mosquitoes however will not go far to prevent catching dengue fever given mosquitoes are always sharing our blood when we are not conscious of it (such as when we sleep).

Prevention can help, such as mosquito repellent & mosquito nets but killing will not help much.

With metta

DDhatu

:)
  • edited July 2009
    The flies, mosquitos, spiders, suffer just like we do, they do what they do to survive. They feel the need to find food and mate, they have no malice towards us.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche once said, if we can't have compassion for something as small and helpless as a bug, who will we have compassion for?
  • edited July 2009
    We should certainly do our best not to harm even the smallest of creatures. All beings suffer fear and pain just as we do.
    _/\_
    edited July 2009
    Dazzle wrote: »
    We should certainly do our best not to harm even the smallest of creatures. All beings suffer fear and pain just as we do.
    _/\_
    Hi Dazz

Possibly all beings experience fear and pain but do all beings suffer from attachment?

In my mind, real suffering is attachment via self-view rather than the discomfort of pain or fear per se.

Thus, is the mind of a fly or mosquito capable of 'self-view'? Do the minds of flies and mosquito concoct the views of "I", "me" and "mine".

Where is the problem of suffering from fear and pain?

Is the problem or dukkha in the mind of the mosquito or in the mind of the human being that fears and cannot endure the mosquito and thinks: "That mosquito is hurting & harming me"?

:confused:

Personally, I doubt flies and mosquitos can concoct 'self-view' because they generall have little regard for their own welfare. If one waves a mosquito away, it keeps coming back. Or at a certain time of the year, there are large tough flies here which viciously bite and suck blood. I usually take a soft rubber thong and hit them when they are air bourn (so not to kill them). But they keep coming back.
  • edited July 2009
    Hi DD,

With respect, to speculate if other sentient beings have attachment or not isn't a consideration for me in this particular matter of not causing them pain. It is reasonable to assume if one pulls the legs from an insect that it will most certainly feel pain from the injury and suffer from the loss of legs.

Have you ever heard an animal screaming in pain when it has been injured? I have, many times. When I was a child, there were many big metal traps set in woods and the countryside by landowners and farmers. Animals would rip their legs off trying to free themselves from the traps. I had never heard a sound from my pet rabbit as a child, but the sight and sound of a terribly injured broken and bleeding wild rabbit screaming in pain having suffered for hours in this way in a trap, remained in my memory for a very long time.

I have also heard and seen various species of bird and animal obviously feeling great pain and suffering when injured or dying.

So for myself, intellectual speculation in these matters comes secondary to doing my best not to harm other beings if it can be avoided.

Regarding your mention of the matter of flies and mosquitos having little regard for their own welfare and thus no self-view --- if you had seen drunken men attacking each other -sometimes with weapons- at pub closing time in a certain city area of the NE UK as I once did, you would probably wonder this about humans too! :)

_/\_
    edited July 2009
    Thank you dear Dazzle

I will concede I should avoid speculations.

Your examples were indeed powerful, convincing and clear.

• edited July 2009
    jinzang wrote: »
    Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche once said, if we can't have compassion for something as small and helpless as a bug, who will we have compassion for?

People hopefully.

I wouldn't get too broken up about a fly. My compassion range doesn't quite extend to insects. It's not like I take magnifying glasses or anything to them, but I mean I reserve my compassion for humans, dogs, and cats. Humans above all though.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2009
    *gasp* :O
    This from someone who thinks it's morally acceptable to kill an animal if we're hungry? Please.....:rolleyes:

Thanks for all your input, everyone.
    I really do, sincerely appreciate your comments, insight, wisdom and clarifications.

The flies and mosquitoes are dispatched as an absolute last resort, not as a first one.
    I try to shepherd flies out of the nearest available door/window, if I can. I use fly/mosquito repellents and screens as far as possible.
    Mostly, I am successful. More often than not, I can avoid it.
    But if it comes to the crunch - I'm afraid I don't lose any sleep over it.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    I reserve my compassion for humans, dogs, and cats. Humans above all though.

That's interesting because Lama Phurbu Tashi said he's noticed that Americans will get very concerned about an injured dog or cat, but won't one bit about a million cattle being slaughtered for their dinner. It strikes me as a bit odd too.
    edited July 2009
    The flies and mosquitoes are dispatched...
    I find your phrase "dispatched" interesting. To me, it sounds like St Peter at the gates of heaven & hell (godly realm) directing the traffic.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited July 2009
    We cannot know what goes through the mind of a fly (and I'll pass on the very bad joke of the same genre)... maybe he got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, or is having a 'bad hair' day? We just cannot know, so Like Fede, if I can avoid killing them I do. I almost never kill them out of doors, because I see that as their space, and inside is my space. But, as now, we are having an invasion of ants inside the house, every time you turn around the another trail of several thousand ants making tracks across your kitchen or dining room... 'Raid' wins out over compassion.
    edited July 2009
    Listen, if the monks in a monastery in California managed to come to terms with having to dispatch thousands of invading cockroaches, I can get over the demise of the occasional fly or mosquito.
    I didn't say it was right.
    I just mean it's not as bad as some stuff that happens.
    Just this evening, a man in the car in front of Nick's, hit a cat that zoomed across the road. It was completely unavoidable, and the cat never stood a chance.
    Apparently, the guy was very cut up about it, and felt dreadful, as would anyone else. Several people stopped, because it was a tragic mess.
    But the guy's windscreen was covered in flies....
    I doubt very much he felt the same way about them.....

I'm afraid I don't have the same equitable feeling for flies as sentient beings, as I do for other sentient creatures.
    Like I said, I strive to avoid it as far as possible, but I'd rather kill a fly, than a cat. Certainly by accident, and definitely by design.....
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Dear Fede,

I don't think anyone is saying the answers are simple ones or that hard choices don't need to be made at times. My post referred only to your statement that flies and spiders are not sentient beings. I disagreed with that.

I ran over a skunk once. It couldn't be helped and I certainly wasn't going to swerve to avoid it and risk my life by crashing the car. That would be idiotic. (I felt terrible for hours and I eventually had to give myself permission to let go of the guilt by asking myself how long I was going to force myself to suffer. It didn't honour the life or death of the skunk to suffer so I let the guilt go.)

But I still think flies and spiders are sentient beings. :p :buck:

Love,
    Boo
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Of course they are, Boo. Just because they don't think the way humans do or have the mental capacity of a human doesn't mean they don't experience attachment and desire. Ever seen a bunch of flies go after some, er, doo-doo? You saying they don't experience desire?! :)

Palzang
    edited July 2009
    Suffering is attaching to things as "I", "me" and "mine". We must realise this.

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited July 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    Of course they are, Boo. Just because they don't think the way humans do or have the mental capacity of a human doesn't mean they don't experience attachment and desire. Ever seen a bunch of flies go after some, er, doo-doo? You saying they don't experience desire?! :)

Palzang
    You and I are agreeing, Palzang. I'm saying they are sentient beings. I don't know anything about the desire of flies and spiders though, but desire doesn't have to be present to make a being sentient anyway, does it? All that's required is that a being perceive or feel things. Since flies and spiders do indeed perceive and feel things and this has been proven by science they are sentient beings.

That's all I'm saying. :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2009
    I know, I was agreeing with you. I do however think that they do experience desire and grasping. We all live in the desire realm, and we all take rebirth out of desire, whether we're humans or insects or whatever.

Palzang
    edited August 2009
    Are we not blurring the edges between instinctual behaviour and emotional behaviour?
    Grasping and desire are fuelled by emotions because we crave and are attached.
    A fly's instinct is to eat, fly, crap, and reproduce.
    I doubt there is any emotional response there.
    I really do.

their brain is the breadth of two hairs, and it's length is five hairs' breadths.
    They do assimilate extraordinary levels of information, based on vibrational movements through the surrounding air. they are able to gauge where the swat is, and when it's going to strike. They assimilate all this information through air currents moving the hairs on their body. This way, they predict where the blow is aimed from.....

But sentient?
    Sorry.
    I don't buy it.

Just to clarify though, I managed to capture a massive bluebottle today - and a wasp yesterday - under a glass, and liberate them outside.

I do mean it when I say I try to avoid killing them at all costs.....
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    It's got nothing at all to do with emotions. Quite the contrary; emotions arise out of grasping and attachment. You don't have to be able to generate emotions in order to experience desire. You've got it a little backwards.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Oh, right, Palzang. I forgot that rebirth is actually dependent upon craving which means all beings do live "in the desire realm" as you put it. I don't think I'll go much deeper than that though, at least not until I gain more understanding of the subtler realities. I have to take things slooowly. The brain isn't what it used to be.:buck:

(Palzang, this reminds me that I've been meaning to ask you about dualism, or non-dualism, and that sort of thing. I feel that my grasp of it is extremely tenuous. You mention it sometimes and when you do a little bell goes off in my head, the little bell that tells me to pay attention. If I thought about it myself for a while and came up with a good question or two, would it be cool to PM you?)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Of course. But it's really not that difficult a concept. At some point we established the delusion of "self" and "not-self". Over her we have what we call "I" and over there is everything else. That's dualism. It is the source of all our problems. From this basic dualistic delusion desire arises because if we have marked off our own little space as "self" that leaves a whole huge universe out there that is "not-self", and of course then we are in need - food, wealth, lovin', air, water, everything. We desire everything because we think we're separate from it and therefore must bring it into our ego-realm to possess it or we'll be lacking.

Non-dual means we have remembered that actually there is no separate self, that truly we are one with everything. In such a state of mind, what would we desire? Everything is already there. That's where true happiness derives from.

Palzang
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    Ahhh! That explains it perfectly! I get it now. I was complicating it, as usual. I can bring that into my meditation practice because I can see it much more clearly now. Thank you so much, Palzang.

You know, ever since I started practicing I've been feeling more and more connected to everything. It makes me feel full somehow. And relieved.
    edited August 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    It's got nothing at all to do with emotions. Quite the contrary; emotions arise out of grasping and attachment. You don't have to be able to generate emotions in order to experience desire. You've got it a little backwards.

Palzang
    You're darned right I have, and I meant what you said, not what I said....I unreservedly withdraw my about-face remark.....:o

but I'm still wondering - with regard to the fly - where 'desire' is instinctive, and where it's grasping.....
    In other words, when it wants to vomit on our food and eat it, and sit on a cowpat and gather cr*p - is it merely an instinct to survive, or is it desire? :confused:
  • edited August 2009
    Mind if I add my two cents here?Thich Nyat Hahan hinted in one of his books that I read, (and I've read so many now that I cant recall which book right now----) that perhaps Buddhism might nbeed to be modernised a little bit. I think in the area of killing insects, we deffinately should get real. What if I woke up one morning to find hundreds of maggots all over my kitchen counter? Should I just walk away and let them be to spread disease? What if a family of rats moved into my attic and I wasnt successful in live-trapping them. Do you know how many rats there would be in no time at all? I cannot think that we are supposed to just put up with certain beings because we are so afraid of the "Do not kill" law. Spiders, flies, mosquitos, house mice...moles outdoors in my vegetable garden...I ask their forgiveness then I get 'em!
    edited August 2009
    Suzanne52 wrote: »
    Mind if I add my two cents here?Thich Nyat Hahan hinted in one of his books that I read, (and I've read so many now that I cant recall which book right now----) that perhaps Buddhism might nbeed to be modernised a little bit. I think in the area of killing insects, we deffinately should get real. What if I woke up one morning to find hundreds of maggots all over my kitchen counter? Should I just walk away and let them be to spread disease? What if a family of rats moved into my attic and I wasnt successful in live-trapping them. Do you know how many rats there would be in no time at all? I cannot think that we are supposed to just put up with certain beings because we are so afraid of the "Do not kill" law.
    it's not a question of being afraid of it. it's a question of understanding that there are consequences, and these consequences are Karma. basically, we don't get away with anything. It all counts.
    Kill all you want to, if you want to. But understand that at one point or another, you'll accrue what's coming to you.
    Spiders, flies, mosquitos, house mice...moles outdoors in my vegetable garden...I ask their forgiveness then I get 'em!
    You ask their forgiveness?
    you're kidding, right?
    You have no qualms whatsoever about killing them - but you still ask their forgiveness?
    How can they forgive you?
    What would you do if they said 'no'?
  • edited August 2009
    Suzanne52 wrote: »
    Mind if I add my two cents here?Thich Nyat Hahan hinted in one of his books that I read, (and I've read so many now that I cant recall which book right now----) that perhaps Buddhism might nbeed to be modernised a little bit. I think in the area of killing insects, we deffinately should get real. What if I woke up one morning to find hundreds of maggots all over my kitchen counter? Should I just walk away and let them be to spread disease? What if a family of rats moved into my attic and I wasnt successful in live-trapping them. Do you know how many rats there would be in no time at all? I cannot think that we are supposed to just put up with certain beings because we are so afraid of the "Do not kill" law. Spiders, flies, mosquitos, house mice...moles outdoors in my vegetable garden...I ask their forgiveness then I get 'em!

I usually always agree with modernizing things, but this issue seems to deal a little bit more directly with how we are supposed to live. "Do not kill living things". We could modernize other things that don't have such a direct calling to be living the right way... like some of the rituals and things clothing that might turn a westerner off to the religion.

On a side note, what are we supposed to do about cars? I was trying to be mindful on my car ride home yesterday, only to realize I was annihilating massive amounts of insects on the way. Am I just supposed to not drive now?
  • edited August 2009
    Are we not blurring the edges between instinctual behaviour and emotional behaviour?
    Grasping and desire are fuelled by emotions because we crave and are attached.
    A fly's instinct is to eat, fly, crap, and reproduce.
    I doubt there is any emotional response there.
    I really do.

their brain is the breadth of two hairs, and it's length is five hairs' breadths.
    They do assimilate extraordinary levels of information, based on vibrational movements through the surrounding air. they are able to gauge where the swat is, and when it's going to strike. They assimilate all this information through air currents moving the hairs on their body. This way, they predict where the blow is aimed from.....

But sentient?
    Sorry.
    I don't buy it.

I do think though Federica that there are far higher beings in the universe than we are who think the same way about us! Compared to them, our brain is the breadth of two hairs, our basic instincts to them seem rudimentary. Yet we are still seen as sentient and worthy of life by them. That's how I think when I see something as tiny as a fly. To us, being so much bigger and evolved they seem insignificant and barely worthy of thought. But how insignifcant we must likewise appear to far higher beings than us who thankfully don't act upon that! :D xxx
    edited August 2009
    Valid point.....

well, when I meet one of them, I might argue that point with them.
    until then........ ;)
  • edited August 2009
    Lol!!! But you know Federica - that's only if they let you :p xxxxxx
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited August 2009
    I just wanted to add that this issue is not solely about the fly or spider in question. It's also about our minds and the imprint that is made upon our minds when we kill sentient beings, whether large or small.

I haven't had a problem with mosquito bites until recently. In the last two weeks I've been bitten many times on and around my feet and for some reason the itching and resultant scratching has caused my feet to swell alarmingly. The insects, and mosquitoes in particular, are more numerous this year as a result of all the rain we've been having. At the time they're occurring the bites burn and itch terribly, more so than they ever have before for whatever reasons. I've been losing my patience and smacking them when they bite, killing well over 30 or 40 this season. I've been watching my mind very closely during and after these mini massacres ('mini' is probably not the word the mosquitoes would use...) and there is definitely a negative impact on my mind. I feel more brutal and I find myself making excuses for killing them. Once I kill the first one, killing the next becomes easier. The more I kill them the less I see them as fellow sentient beings. There are more negative results but you get my point.

I just wanted to add that because it's been an issue for me lately.
  • edited August 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    I just wanted to add that this issue is not solely about the fly or spider in question. It's also about our minds and the imprint that is made upon our minds when we kill sentient beings, whether large or small.

I haven't had a problem with mosquito bites until recently. In the last two weeks I've been bitten many times on and around my feet and for some reason the itching and resultant scratching has caused my feet to swell alarmingly. The insects, and mosquitoes in particular, are more numerous this year as a result of all the rain we've been having. At the time they're occurring the bites burn and itch terribly, more so than they ever have before for whatever reasons. I've been losing my patience and smacking them when they bite, killing well over 30 or 40 this season. I've been watching my mind very closely during and after these mini massacres ('mini' is probably not the word the mosquitoes would use...) and there is definitely a negative impact on my mind. I feel more brutal and I find myself making excuses for killing them. Once I kill the first one, killing the next becomes easier. The more I kill them the less I see them as fellow sentient beings. There are more negative results but you get my point.

I just wanted to add that because it's been an issue for me lately.

Yes Brigid I can definitely relate to that feeling. I've killed quite a few mosquitoes this summer myself which I feel really bad about. Also though I wonder if, since we have a right to live and be happy as sentient beings too, perhaps what we are doing when we kill them is simply redirecting their life energy to a, well, less irritating existence??!!! :confused: xxx
  • upasakaupasaka New
    edited August 2009
    Insects are sentient. Killing is killing. Intention to kill followed by the act is as bad as it gets.
    The insect may gain a more fortunate rebirth, but if that is believed, it follows that its killer will not.

Dengue Fever can be caught from a bite during the daytime - it happened to me. I was told this is not uncommon in India.

The behaviour tolerated on this site is awful - posts attacking sects, swearing and endorsing deliberate killing. Not a forum for me. Please carry on.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited August 2009
    upasaka wrote: »
    The behaviour tolerated on this site is awful - posts attacking sects, swearing and endorsing deliberate killing.
    You are, of course, free to choose your online associations. I will, of course, disagree with your assessment and apologize in advance for this off-topic post.

The simple rules on this site are to treat each other with respect and not "troll" the community. Cursing for the purpose of self-expression (not directed as invective) and discussing the sentient state and attitudes towards insects is well within bounds. Clearly a difference of opinion exists here and a civil discussion or debate on the topic is, in my opinion, healthy. What is more Buddhist than re-examination?

As far as attacking sects is concerned, I reserve final judgment on what an "attack" constitutes here. I like to think of myself as mostly impartial in this regard, but concede my own unavoidable biases. I simply do my best. Repeating personal experience and observation without resorting to name-calling has resulted in many balanced discussions of sects here over the years and has been a shining example of how our members conduct themselves. I don't think anyone can deny that dangerous or unsavory sects exist in any religion or philosophy and Buddhism is no different. Being able to distinguish between the desirable and undesirable teachings that exist is a great function of community.

I wish you well if that represents the end of your participation here, but we have few regrets in our methods of community management. :)
    edited August 2009
    For my part, I frequently kill home-invading insects that I feel threaten or annoy me (like mosquitoes and spiders) and spare/transplant others that I feel are harmless (box elders and grasshoppers). Is this in line with Buddhist teachings? Probably not. Then again, I don't put on airs of being a bodhisattva, either. I'm just a perpetually new Buddhist. :) I haven't contributed to this discussion because I don't have a strong opinion on it and am interested in the dialogue that takes place here.
  • upasakaupasaka New
    edited August 2009
    Lincoln wrote: »
    You are, of course, free to choose your online associations. I will, of course, disagree with your assessment and apologize in advance for this off-topic post.

The simple rules on this site are to treat each other with respect and not "troll" the community. Cursing for the purpose of self-expression (not directed as invective) and discussing the sentient state and attitudes towards insects is well within bounds. Clearly a difference of opinion exists here and a civil discussion or debate on the topic is, in my opinion, healthy. What is more Buddhist than re-examination?

As far as attacking sects is concerned, I reserve final judgment on what an "attack" constitutes here. I like to think of myself as mostly impartial in this regard, but concede my own unavoidable biases. I simply do my best. Repeating personal experience and observation without resorting to name-calling has resulted in many balanced discussions of sects here over the years and has been a shining example of how our members conduct themselves. I don't think anyone can deny that dangerous or unsavory sects exist in any religion or philosophy and Buddhism is no different. Being able to distinguish between the desirable and undesirable teachings that exist is a great function of community.

I wish you well if that represents the end of your participation here, but I we have few regrets in our methods of community management. :)

If you decide to run a site which trashes Right Speech it is in no way 'Buddhist'. Mods endorsing killing sentient beings is also hardly a 'shining example'. Each to their own. Be well. Goodbye. ;)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2009
    If you decide to run a site which trashes Right Speech it is in no way 'Buddhist'. Mods endorsing killing sentient beings is also hardly a 'shining example'. Each to their own. Be well. Goodbye. ;)

I am sorry that Upasaka does not manage to understand that people are discussing something that genuinely troubles them. It is easy to say that "killing is killing" but it is much harder to know where to draw the line. When we come to the decision that we will practise harmlessness, we will inevitably be assailed by scruples and doubts. Because we take refuge in the Sangha, we will turn to our peers and our teachers to help and instruct us.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    I've noticed that most of the attention on this thread is about killing, whether it is OK to kill some sentient beings or whether they're really sentient or whatever. How about we flip the whole thing over and read this precept as not anti-killing but rather pro-life? What about thinking about it as promoting life rather than vowing to just not take it? Like for instance, feeding birds in the winter rather than just taking a hands-off approach and not deliberately killing them. Do you see a difference there? Maybe if it we looked at the problem that way it would become a bit clearer, respecting life wherever we find it and doing our best to both preserve and promote it.

Palzang
    edited August 2009
    That's a good point Palzang, and is actually, a good way of viewing many a dilemma....
    To turn it on its head.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited August 2009
    I'm thinking that upasaka may well be new to Buddhism, and has an idealistic point of view. Nothing in life is ever that clear cut. The Yin Yang symbol itself expresses this with its dots of opposing colour in the large areas. In all good there is some bad and vice versa.

I am always reminded of the torment experienced by the monks, recounted in one of Lama Surya Das' books, whom when establishing a new monastery in the US, found it overrun with vermin. Despite all their efforts to preserve life, ultimately they had no choice but to take life. Surely these monks are the epitome of Buddhism, so it cannot be said that anyone who accepts killing is not a Buddhist, that view is far too simplistic.

I like Palzang's "on it's head" example, as usual, our pal Pal, has spread a little clarity. I choose to believe that while I may indeed reap some negative karma for eradicating some pest from my home, it is far outweighed by my love and consideration for all the animals and creatures that I come in contact with. The daily feeding of wild birds in my yard, and rescue of small creatures, spiders and insects from certain death on a regular basis, surely neutralize that.
    edited August 2009
    If you decide to run a site which trashes Right Speech it is in no way 'Buddhist'.
    You'd do well to not pretend to be the final word on the Eightfold Path to me, nor the difference between allowing something and endorsing it.

A website cannot be a Buddhist. It's members can, but we accept non-Buddhists and Buddhists at any stage of their journey here as well.

Clearly, this place is indeed not for you since you have it all figured out.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2009
    On whether or not it's "OK" to kill "vermin", one must also take into consideration other factors as well. Surya Das' example of the monks trying to live in a temple overrun by vermin is a good example. If the critters are eating offerings off altars and being otherwise destructive to the Dharma, is it better (assuming it is not possible to get rid of them without killing them) to leave them alone and continue to accrue tons of negative karma, or is it actually kinder to dispatch them and prevent them from accruing all that negativity? Such problems never have clear cut answers that apply to all situations. That is a really important point to remember.

The same could be said of abortions. Can you really make a rule that says never have an abortion because to do so will prevent a being from its opportunity to enjoy a precious human birth? Are there never situations in which an abortion might be the kindest alternative, when the needs of the mother might outweigh the needs of the unborn? How about in cases like the rape of a child, which is happening in the Congo even now? Not so easy to make that call!

So I think it is best not to jump on the fundamentalist bus that says thou shalt do this and thou shalt not do that. You really have to look at the big picture in every such decision.

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2009
    We may also need to take into account a fundamental shift in Western opinion on the relationship between humans and other animals, as well as increasing confusion on where to draw the line on 'sentience'.

As far as I can see, the past few decades have brought about a real shift in our understanding of our place in the animal kingdom. It probably began with the "Save The Whales" campaign (1951) and has been emphasised by concepts such as Lovelock's Gaia hypothesis and the Deep Ecology movement. We no longer see ourselves as 'owners' but, more and more, as 'stewards'.

edited August 2009
    Insects are sentient. Killing is killing. Intention to kill followed by the act is as bad as it gets.
    The insect may gain a more fortunate rebirth, but if that is believed, it follows that its killer will not.

Oh really...? That's a definite, is it? Could you therefore explain how Angulimala managed it?
    Dengue Fever can be caught from a bite during the daytime - it happened to me. I was told this is not uncommon in India.
    Point being?
    The behaviour tolerated on this site is awful - posts attacking sects, swearing and endorsing deliberate killing. Not a forum for me. Please carry on.
    Thanks, don't mind if we do.
    Pop kettle on whilst you're out.....