Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Killed a fly today - though for a reason- feeling bad

124»

Comments

• FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Sorry all! I've only been at this a year or two, so are we supposed to not feel attatched to our family, but still love them? And if so, how is this acheived? Thanks!
    Love & Peace
    Joe:)

We begin with love for our family and extend that gradually to other beings, in a wider and wider circle. In the end, we may end up loving our family no more or less than other beings.

We hopefully also learn not to cling to friends and family as 'mine', and to be upset by them, as if their role in life is to please us. For example, if you girlfriend leaves you for another person, if it makes her happy you should be happy for her and not miserable for yourself.

And I don't know anyone who is able to do that, although maybe someone here can claim that level fo detachment from self-cherishing. Not me. :)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Sorry all! I've only been at this a year or two, so are we supposed to not feel attatched to our family, but still love them? And if so, how is this acheived? Thanks!
    Love & Peace
    There is absolutely no need to apologize for this.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    One time I heard a Geshe say that if we could only experience the results of our karma immediately we would be much better at avoiding negative karma. Like if you step on a bug and immediately felt your rib cage being crushed. That would end the philosophical debates, wouldn't it?

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Love & Peace

Actually you're supposed to abandon your family and go live in a cave.

Just kidding! No, you can love your family without being attached to them, though that's a difficult feat to accomplish, of course. You achieve it the way you achieve anything else, by practice. One way is to examine the faults of cyclic existence, contemplating impermanence and the suffering that is a fundamental part of living. Examining that, we can cut the attachment to external objects. True love is without attachment.

Palzang
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Thanks everyone.:D
    I don't get upset if something happens for the better. Like a girl I'd been going out with on-and-off (LOL) since I was two:lol: left me and I wasn't upset because it had come to the point where we hardly got a chance to speak to each other. It was for the better, simples;)
    Of course it's probobly different for adults LOL:o
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I wouldn't know. I've never been one... :tonguec:

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    LOL :D
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I think a good example of loving kindness and equanimity is to see a parent who lost a child to a drunk driver, be able to forgive them and help them recover their lives. That is a truly amazing demonstration of love.
    edited January 2010
    Trully amazing...