Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Films I've seen

edited March 2010 in General Banter
Again, as a little bit of light entertainment. . . . .
A thread recommending (or not recommending) films you've seen :)

Ok, i'll start.

I went to the cinema last week to see 'Ong Bak - the beginning'.
It was AWESOME :p

If you love martial arts, this guy (Tony Jaa) is fantastic.
Loved the story too :uphand:
Its a prequel to 'Ong Bak' which is also a great film. Well worth seeing :D

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Great idea Tokyo_Rose,

Can i admit something pretty uncool:o
    I saw 'This Is It' on the weekend and i was electrified:eek:. I know there is alot of contention around the late MJ but seeing his rehersal footage really blew me away. To my suprise he still had it- rough, half practised, half baked genius and the other dancers and muscians were awesome. Led a pretty unbalanced lifestyle though! Nostalgia for the 80s kid in me.

By the way I am also based in Yorkshire and have just organised to practice with a Sangha linked to Thich Nhat Hahn way out in Settle (every time i want to i can't remember his name - i have to google it! How embarrassing). Are you linked to any sanghas?

Cheers Blueface
  • edited November 2009
    ^ ^ ^ As a lifelong Michael fan, i really should have gone to see 'This is it'. I admit i couldn't face it. Not yet, i'm still too upset :sadc:
    I may be braver when it comes out on DVD.

I'm glad you enjoyed it though Blueface :)
    He is the best performer there ever was!
    I went to see him live, in 1997 on his History tour.
    I was only a few feet away from him! One night i can never forget!
    Amazing :D
  • edited November 2009
    definately see it - take some tissues too for the crying you'll do...sad and amazing. Hoping to go to my first meeting with the buddhist group i'm joining in Settle in a month. There is a Leeds one but its in someone's house so seems a little informal. Apprantly theres a Leeds Buddhist centre too. I've seen a few groups in York and Harrogate but I'm quite picky!!
  • edited November 2009
    ^^^ I honestly don't think i can face seeing it. Not yet :(

I hope the new group is just right for you :)
    I can't travel far as where you are, i haven't got any groups to join here :sadc:
    Ive been studying by myself, and joining in on the forum.
    Its great you've got the choice ;) LOL
    I hope its the right one for you, let me know how you get on :)
  • edited November 2009
    Ooo, i almost forgot to say, last week i went to see '9' , the new Tim Burton film.
    Tim Burton at his dark eerie best ;)
    Very cute lovavle characters, but a sad ending. Well i thought so :rolleyes:
    Worth seeing anyway :)
  • edited November 2009
    i love Tim burton - will try to see that one but maybe on dvd...i'm too poor :(
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I want to see 9, too.
  • edited November 2009
    :doh:doh, just got the pic - wolf in sheep's clothing...i'm so slow. i just thought it was a really woolly dog!
    edited November 2009
    At least you apprehended my canine nature before it was too late. Many have failed to...
  • edited November 2009
    ^ ^ ^ He's an untrimmed poodle really :p

Blueface- do you have an orange network phone? orange wednesdays are a 'two for one offer', so you get in for £3. Not as bad as £6 obviously, lol. I go wednesdays, its a good idea if you have that option (maybe a friend has orange?) Thats the only way i can afford to go to the cinema, it is very expensive :(

'9' is pretty good. Not as good as Nightmare before Christmas (i don't think he could beat that) but it was kind of cute and sad :rolleyes:
  • edited November 2009
    virgin...the phone that is. I think i might have a friend on orange i could try though :)
  • edited November 2009
    blueface wrote: »
    virgin...the phone that is. I think i might have a friend on orange i could try though :)
    Cool, all they have to do is txt FILM to 241 and you get a voucher (code that you give at the ticket booth)
    Cheap cinema ;)
    Go for it :D

Also, you can get 'buy one get one free' pizza, at pizza express on orange.

*i should really get commission for this. . . . .
    I shall take my pay in Cadburys buttons*
  • edited November 2009
    i'm seeing a chocolate theme...
  • edited November 2009
    fivebells wrote: »
    At least you apprehended my canine nature before it was too late. Many have failed to...

You mean like in Doctor Who? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUtkMExVjzo
  • edited November 2009
    i'm seeing a chocolate theme...
    I see one frequently
    edited November 2009
    You mean like in Doctor Who?

I think of myself more like this one.

But that's just another impermament, unsatisfying self-concept...
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hey, wait a minute! Seattle is in Washington, not England! You can't fool me... Oh, what? It's where? Oh, ahem, sorry, It's Settle, not Seattle... Who knew?! Is that where the term settle-ment comes from by any chance? :)

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention a new movie that just opened here in DC this weekend called The Messenger. It's about Army officers who have the extraordinarily unpleasant duty of informing families of their loved one's death in Iraq/Afghanistan. Sounds like a real downer, eh? Well, apparently not. Here's what the director had to say about it:

It's a film about getting back to feeling, it's about gratitude. It's not a downer, it's a feel good movie that respects the fact that life isn't always about feeling good. Please go see it. Then call someone and tell them you love them. You'll see what I mean.

I'm thinking about making one of my rare trips to the cinema to see it. Might be good for KoB to see as well, eh? Teach him a little compassion...

Palzang
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Movies I've seen recently:

The Fourth Kind: I'm a total sucker for Milla and anything that has to do with aliens, but even Milla couldn't save The Fourth Kind from being little more than a 2 hour long episode of Sightings.

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin: Classic Shaw Brothers kung fu flick. It's one of my favourites, and I was psyched to see a screening of it at the Hollywood Theatre.

Capitalism: A Love Story: I'm not really a big fan of Michael Moore or his films, but I got suckered into seeing this with a bunch of people. To be honest, the movie wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Could've been a lot worse. Maybe worth renting.

District 9: I really enjoyed this movie. I loved the characters, I loved the subtext, and most of all, I loved the fact that it was an original idea (read "not a lame-ass remake").
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    And here's a nice video I found on someone's blog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jedd2FiZTqM&feature=player_embedded

Palzang
  • edited November 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    And here's a nice video I found on someone's blog: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jedd2FiZTqM&feature=player_embedded

Palzang
    LOL thats the sort of silly thing id do :p
  • edited November 2009
    I watched 'Fearless' on dvd last night.
    Jet Li :D

Oh, i so love watching martial arts. . . . .
  • edited November 2009
    So whats everyones favourite film?
    Mine is, and always has been 'The Warriors' :D

:thumbsup:
    edited November 2009
    Lately, I've been getting into "Mad Men." The samsara!!
  • edited November 2009

[/I]I'm thinking about making one of my rare trips to the cinema to see it. Might be good for KoB to see as well, eh? Teach him a little compassion...

Palzang

:D

I will definitely have to look into it!

I rarely go to the movies. I think most modern movies are boring, superficial, politically heavy-handed, and predictable. But there are a few new and some old movies I've seen in the past year that I really liked.

The Hurt Locker- about bomb disposal team in Baghdad.

Gran Torino- about a racist, retired Detroit auto worker who's neighborhood is being overrun by immigrants and gangs.

Casablanca- about an American stuck in Vichy-controlled Casablanca during WWII.

I thought all these movies were great.

As for the duds...

The Surrogates- was only humorous if you interpreted the movie as a critique of cell phones and text messaging I thought. It seemed like a slightly less action-packed version of the Matrix.

Paranormal Activity- Waste of time and money. Glad I went to the matinee. It wasn't even that scary!

Terminator 4- No Arnold, and Christian Bale was lame. The only interesting character was the Terminator hybrid guy.

Pretty much the only movies I like anymore are ones either directed by the Old Guard like Eastwood or nameless, never-heard-of directors who have one-hit wonders of genius.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2009
    I'll agree with you on that one. Most movies made today, at least in Hollywood, aren't worth a nickel, much less $10 plus popcorn! I thought that both The Hurt Locker and Gran Torino looked interesting, but unfortunately I rarely have the time to go to the movie anymore. No time, no money. But occasionally one will pull me enough to go see it.

Palzang
  • edited November 2009
    Gran Torino looked interesting
    I quite enjoyed that. Im not particularly an Eastward fan, but he played the part brilliantly. Good one-liners, good story.
    Maybe you could see it on dvd? :)
  • edited November 2009
    favourite film is The Big Lebowski
  • edited November 2009
    favourite film is The Big Lebowski

Cool :)

Have you ever seen The Warriors?
    (1979, directed by Walter Hill) :)
  • edited November 2009
    no, tell me more...

('4 weddings', i didn't really say that though...)
  • edited November 2009
    no, tell me more...
    It looks kind of old now (it was 1979) but the whole thing put together is excellent. Right from the beginning where the various gang are getting ready to go to the meeting in all thier colours, its just fantastic.
    Its not like the gang style nowadays eg. Boys in the hood, or anything like that. Its unique.
    Ive seen it 400 times +
    I wore out 2 video copies and 1 dvd. Am onto second dvd copy, and always keep one spare.
    If im actually wearing these vids and dvds out, then i must be watching it a lot ;)

(Taken from a write-up)
    Can you dig it? Director Walter Hill's cult classic follows the Warriors, a Coney Island gang falsely accused of killing the messianic leader of a city-wide peace summit to unite the warring factions, as they make their way through 28 miles of "enemy territory" with 100,000 rival gang members hot on their trail. Michael Beck, James Remar, Debra Van Valkenburgh, Dorsey Wright, and David Patrick Kelly star

Warning! DO NOT get the directors cut!
    Get the original film, the directors cut absolutely ruined it.
    Always get the 1979 original film. Directors cut is ruined!

Oh, and if you do watch it, feel free to have conversations with me anytime!
    Though i warn you, i know every single line :p
    LOL

warriors.jpg
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Hi,
    I'm watching New Moon in a week for my birthday, anyone like the look of it?
    I don't why but I've always loved vampires. I see them as good guys really.
    Has anyone watched Van Helsing? Great film. The vampires aren't that bad, for one they need to drink blood to survive and you don't blame tigers and lions for hunting do you? And secondly they do try to unleash dozens of new vampires but they only want kids don't they?

There I go; Blood Peace; Save the Vampires!!!:p
  • edited November 2009
    Absolutely love "Blade Runner". The scenery is "retrofitted future" and can be described as neo-noir. It just has a great atmosphere with the ultimate anti-hero (you might know him from Indiana Jones).:winkc:

Also Casablanca is really great, still love that movie.
    Think those two are pretty much my favorite.:D

The Woody Allen films I've seen are also pretty good. I like the film "Vicky Christina Barcelona" which has the ultimate smooth artistic womanizer in it. Also "whatever works", despite stating it's not a feel good movie is nice entertainment with a cranky old New-Yorker. That movie has the funniest dialog I've heard in a long time.
  • edited November 2009
    Anyone going to see or has seen Michael Moore's new movie about Capitalism?
    edited November 2009
    No, what's it about? :)
  • edited November 2009
    Love'N'Peace,
    It's a kind of critical look at Capitalism through the past year's financial crisis, that's the synopsis. Here's some info on it:
    http://www.wsws.org/articles/2009/oct2009/capi-o06.shtml

Any opinions?
    edited November 2009
    Unless I misunderstood the synopsis from your link (I scanned through it) it sounds a pretty lousy film LOL! :/
  • edited November 2009
    lol Love'N'Peace, not a glowing review that one! ;)
    edited November 2009
    Agreed :D
  • edited January 2010
    I saw AVATAR last week..good movie...enjoyed it!
    edited January 2010
    I wouldn't mind seeing that, though some people say it's good, others bad... *sigh*
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I saw Avatar last week. The visual effects were on such a titanic scale that it has surpassed all other films in that respect. The story, however, is mediocre and a pastiche of the old cartoon "Ferngully" combined with "G.I. Joe." I would go see it again but this time I'll bring ear plugs, as my GF and I walked out feeling like we just left a rock concert.
    edited January 2010
    BTW New Moon (*****) was GREAT! This is what I watched since then;
    UP *****
    St Trinians Two: The Legend of Fritton's Gold *****
    Meet The Morgans *****
  • edited January 2010
    I saw Book of Eli this past weekend and I really enjoyed it.

I have been looking for a more inspirational movie to watch as of late, and recently my job ( a marketing company) picked up the campaign for Extraordinary Measures. It is the new CBS film's Harrison Ford / Brendan Frasier movie that is being released this Friday.

The movie is based on a true story of a father who overcomes great odds to find a cure for his children's life threatening disease. I typically love Harrison Ford movies so I cannot wait for the tickets to go on sale.

Here is a link with trailers:

Extraordinary Measures
  • edited January 2010
    Recently watched "Inglourious Basterds." I thought it was excellent, but then I like Tarantino films. I have a somewhat dark sense of humor sometimes, which seems to go well with his films.

While people are recommending films I would like to recommend "Pi" It is actually the symbol for 3.14... but I don't know how to post that from a PC. Darren Aronofsky directed the film. Lots of cool metaphors about "god" and stuff.:D
    edited January 2010
    That advert was good Ladysilver, I might watch that :)
  • edited January 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    That advert was good Ladysilver, I might watch that :)

I am going to see it this weekend with my hubby:) All the hype around the office has me really looking forward to it.
    edited January 2010
    I might go and see it tomorrow, might as well... I'm off to town anyway :)
    Love
    Joe
  • edited January 2010
    I saw 'Up in the air' George Clooney's big oscar hope on the weekend. Excellent - empire also liked it giving it 5 stars. It has a balance of comedy and drama i find just right...also topical dealing with issues relating to the recession. Recommended.
    edited January 2010
    It looks good :)
  • edited March 2010
    I also liked new moon.... and what about Sherlock holmes guys. It was a good movie.