Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Films I've seen

2»

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Really? You liked Sherlock Holmes? I went and saw it when I couldn't get into Avatar as it was sold out, and I thought it really sucked. The acting was good, but it was so obscured by the gross Hollywood overproduction that it totally got pushed aside. That's what happens today in Hollywood. Nobody just tells a story anymore. Got to fill up the screen with CGI, violence, and loud music, even though it has nothing to do with the story. I like simple films, like Billy Eliot or The Kiterunner, that tell their stories and leave it at that. Much more effective. Want to see a movie that simply tells a story but is devastating? Go see White Ribbon (if you can find it!).

Not to mention that the Sherlock Holmes in the movie bore little resemblance to Sir Conan Doyle's creation.

Palzang
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    edited March 2010
    The Big Lebowski - I loved it the first time I saw it, and still like the character. But when I saw it again, I was shocked at how many f-bombs there are! A real challenge to someone who is trying to maintain a "right speech" approach to life!

A lovely surprise for me this week was The Last Station. All I knew was that it has Helen Mirren in it. I loved it! It also stars Christopher Plummer and is about the dying days of Leo Tolstoy and the relationship struggle between him, his acolytes, and his wife. Great visuals, great acting, good script.

Also, if you can catch it, a movie called Pulse, now showing again at our IMAX. It is about percussion musicians around the world. Very fun and upbeat.
  • edited March 2010
    I've always been a fan of John Boorman's Excalibur, from 1981. One of the grittier interpretations of the Arthurian legend.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Excalibur never existed! Along with robin hood and various other people in my 'it's not true' song in another thread, but I don't think anyone bothered with the link LOL. I went to see Alice in Wonderland on Saturday night, I know, I know, a big manly film but I faked my way in and wasn't scared a bit *Aargh! A rabbit!* It was actually a good movie, t'was funny :o

Love & Peace
    Jellybean