Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

buddhist wedding

edited December 2009 in General Banter
Hi everyone! I am a practitioner of Tibetan Buddhism and I wanted to ask people for advice about my up-coming wedding ceremony. Is there any somewhat simple way to incorporate the Dharma/Tibetan custom in our wedding ceremony? My Lama lives 5 hours away, so he evidently cant be present. I was going to have a secular family friend who can legally wed people do the vows.

Any thoughts?

THANKS!

Comments

• edited November 2009
    i don't know much but how about a section when you're eating when you concentrate on the food in silence?? Oops actually that sounds a but dull for a wedding!:crazy:
  • edited December 2009
    zebra wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I am a practitioner of Tibetan Buddhism and I wanted to ask people for advice about my up-coming wedding ceremony. Is there any somewhat simple way to incorporate the Dharma/Tibetan custom in our wedding ceremony? My Lama lives 5 hours away, so he evidently cant be present. I was going to have a secular family friend who can legally wed people do the vows.

Any thoughts?

THANKS!
    Hi Zebra,
    Its definitely possible.
    a lama friend of mine is performing my wedding ceremony next week!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Ooooh! Congratulations on your wedding, Shenpen!
    Many, many happy years ahead!
  • edited December 2009
    Okay, well thanks for all your thoughts. I have a new question for you.

So now, after discussing the officient question at length, my fiance who is a 'lasped' Christian, wants to have an old pastor of his do the vows.

So now Im thinking that in addition to the pastor, we should have my Buddhist friend who I look up to officiate as well. Any thoughts on a Christian/Buddhist interfaith ceremony? Who does/says what? Im so lost!
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Do what you want, Zebra ... and, of course, what your intended is comfortable with.

It may be something as simple as the Bride & Groom presenting katahs to everyone who comes in the receiving line. Nothing more Buddhist than blessing others with your love.
  • edited December 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    Ooooh! Congratulations on your wedding, Shenpen!
    Many, many happy years ahead!
    thank you.
    it was really a wonderful ceremony.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Maybe then, you could give the OP some pointers on the neutrality of such a joyous occasion.....? :)
  • edited December 2009
    zebra wrote: »
    Okay, well thanks for all your thoughts. I have a new question for you.

So now, after discussing the officient question at length, my fiance who is a 'lasped' Christian, wants to have an old pastor of his do the vows.

So now Im thinking that in addition to the pastor, we should have my Buddhist friend who I look up to officiate as well. Any thoughts on a Christian/Buddhist interfaith ceremony? Who does/says what? Im so lost!
    you can have the Buddhist make offerings and recite blessings etc.
    at my wedding the lama made torma offerings, renewed our refuge vows and sealed the ceremony with the four immeasurables.
    i think you could easily mix the two traditions by using the offerings or something like the four immeasurables.