Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Paganism

Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
edited January 2010 in Faith & Religion
Hi all :)
Can you be both a Pagan and a Buddhist (a Pagan Buddhist) I've read Buddhists can have another religion...

If so, what are the core beliefs of Paganism? When I've met Pagans they seem very nice and modern Pagans are nice and un-prejudiced.
I'm interested in learning more,
Thanks,
Joe :)

Comments

• edited November 2009
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    If so, what are the core beliefs of Paganism? When I've met Pagans they seem very nice and modern Pagans are nice and un-prejudiced.
    Thanks,

You should probably ask this in a pagan forum, since paganism is a very large subject.
    Also - Paganism isnt really ONE specific religion. Both Celtic beleif, druidism, and norse mythology goes under the term "pagan" but they are three very different religions.

I hope it helps
    Much love

Allan
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited November 2009
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited November 2009
    "Pagan" literally means "non Judeo-Christian religions" so technically Buddhism is paganism :p Maybe you're looking for Wicca, Celtic Reconstructionism, or Hellenic Polytheism? I find the connotation people usually get from "pagan" is mostly from Wicca or things made up by Hollywood. :)
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Can you be both a Pagan and a Buddhist (a Pagan Buddhist)...
    The Triumph motorcycle would be totally cool, but there might be issues with the drug dealing and feuding with the Hell's Angels. ;-)
  • edited November 2009
    Can you be both a Pagan and a Buddhist (a Pagan Buddhist)
    one can be what one wants. the challenge is, are the disbelieving parts of you willing to accept such a fusion?

if those voices in your self don't approve of you adding buddhism to your paganism then i suggest that you ask them why.

by doing so you may discover all kinds of interesting and wonderful things about yourself, including limits that should be respected for the time being.
    edited November 2009
    you adding buddhism to your paganism

Just saying it's adding Paganism to my Buddhism ;)

Thanks for the help everyone :)
    I'll go and see if I can find a Pagan forum, first I'll have a look on the internet for which sect matches by beiefs the most, those links will come in handy thanks :D
    Joe
  • edited November 2009
    Just saying it's adding Paganism to my Buddhism ;)
    oops, i got that backwards, didn't i? hehe

anyway, yea... i'm very interested in what you're doing because 1) i aim to be a comparative mythologist, which helps give me potential latitude to understand and feel at home in any kind of religion and practice, and 2) that was more-or-less my base which i am now striving to add buddhism to.

so i'd love to hear how it goes; what kinds of insights you make, etc... :)
  • edited November 2009
    OOh! I'm interested in Celtic stuff and spirituality! I've been learning a bit about druidry. There is a great website and online druid college which teaches aobut druidry! You write essays and they mark them! You get PDF files for your courses. It's free
    It's called the New Order of Druids, I'm a member. They're very open to all religions and love new members.

Unfortunately, right now the website is down because of some Turkish dudes who hate it and attacked it. They're restroing it now. Check out the website every few days to see if it's back up. Here's the linkm I hope you enjoy it when it's back up!

http://www.druidcircle.org/avalon/index.php
    edited December 2009
    Hi!
    I've joined a forum but I'm worried I won't be welcome:o
    It's Wiccan because I like and agree with most of their beliefs. I would feel Ok on a Buddhist side of things becoming a Wiccan Buddhist but what would Wiccans think?
    thanks everyone,
    Joe:o
  • edited December 2009
    If they are true wiccans, they will welcome you. Wiccans believe in all gods, right? So why not all the Buddhas? I think I've seen Wiccans who believe in Buddhas. I've got a wiccan book that has a list of deities for spellwork and to call upon for help, and a few of them a Buddhas and even Shakyamuni Buddha .(I mean the original Buddha, I get confused between Goutama and Siddartha).
    That's why I like paganism, pagans are very open, although some I don't think to Christianity.
    edited December 2009
    Oh good, on the Wiccan forum I got a lovely welcome from a girl named Olivia. She said she apreciates someone of one religion who wishes to widen their knowledge of others and was sure many others did too.:)
    Wiccans believe in all gods, right?

Actualy they're demi-theistic which means they have a God and a Goddess (the God the Sun and Goddess the Moon). Anyway on the bright side as long as my religion isn't evil they don't have to agree with it. :lol:
    That's why I like paganism, pagans are very open, although some I don't think to Christianity.

I like un-prejudiced religions but many of them originally were, of course there's kind un-prejudiced people of every belief system (I tend to call this modern- Christianity, Islam ext.)
    In Wiccan there's a whole sect devoted to homosexuals!:eek: Now that's pretty modern!
    Maybe Pagans don't like Christians because of what the Christian's ancestors did to the Pagan's ancestors; 1500 years ago the Christians went through Britain and converted Pagans and killed them if they didn't agree...
    I read that in a history book but a Chistian called them barbarians. Maybe Wiccans were burned as witches? (I don't know that for curtain but they practice witch craft and wiccan meens witch so I put two and two together...)

With being a Christian how do you deal with reincarnation/heaven? A christian told me I'd go to Hell and so will the Dalai Lama, Buddha ext...:(
    Joe
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Snowpaw wrote: »
    If they are true wiccans, they will welcome you. Wiccans believe in all gods, right? So why not all the Buddhas? I think I've seen Wiccans who believe in Buddhas. I've got a wiccan book that has a list of deities for spellwork and to call upon for help, and a few of them a Buddhas and even Shakyamuni Buddha .(I mean the original Buddha, I get confused between Goutama and Siddartha).

Siddhārtha Gautama (Siddhattha Gotama, Pali) was the full name of the Buddha.

He was also known as Shakyamuni Buddha ('Sage of the Shakya tribe').
    Hope this helps clear some confusion, at least!
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I don't mean to be dismissive of this question in any way, but the main question this thread has posed to me is a technical one.

In the past when people made misspellings in the thread title, the misspelling remained. However, the original misspelling of paganism in this thread had been corrected. Why the higher (or new) standard?

BTW, "pagan" meant someone living in the country (backwards) who was not likely to be amenable to new ways of thinking. In other words, they held on to the old beliefs about numina and gods, etc. Of course, now the word has different connotations, but let us remember that it's IN THE CITY where new ways take root —not in the countryside.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    I don't remember doing this one, so I can't say 'guilty' or otherwise....
    I have a tendency to amend misspelled titles, if I think that the irritation of reading a misspelling will detract from the replies received.
    I've seen it happen.
    It has even been requested of me by some members to amend any errors in the titles of their threads.

Hope this helpes. ;)
    edited December 2009
    IN THE CITY

I live in a small town ;)
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I live in a small town ;-)
    You live in a pagus, so you're a Buddhist paganus. Does that answer the original question? ;-)
  • edited December 2009
    I believe in the gods. Well sort of. I believe that God created the gods to protect the ancient people and to help them understand different spiritual aspects of the world and the divine.
    I'm a very strange Christian.
    Yes, some Christians do condem (I dunno how to spell that word! It's the only one)
    others to Hell. Hell, in my opinion does not exist. It represents the bad actions of people and I think Bad Karma.
    I believe we go to heaven when we die and after a period of time, we go back down. Unless we're enlightened or have achieved our soul purpose. I'm kind of a Celtic Christian. Sort of. I add some Celtic spsirituality to Christianity and I have researched some actual Celtic Christianity. I believe God created spirits and gods that flow through all of nature, well what they represent. I also believe God himslef is in every natural thing including you and me.

Thanks Federica. That cleared up my confusion, well most of it!
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited December 2009
    I read that in a history book but a Chistian called them barbarians. Maybe Wiccans were burned as witches? (I don't know that for curtain but they practice witch craft and wiccan meens witch so I put two and two together...)
    Wicca is a new thing.
    Can you be both a Pagan and a Buddhist (a Pagan Buddhist) I've read Buddhists can have another religion...
    When I started college I was actually enrolled in two at the same time, because I couldn't make up my mind [here we have a definite course to take, like Law, Naval Engineering, Medicine, Chemistry... if we change our mind we have to take another test to get into college again], although I failed at the attempt miserably. Even before I got to the end of the first semester, I dropped the towel on one, because I was having classes around the clock about things I didn't have the time to study.

Some people miraculously managed two courses until the end, but as a result they weren't prepared to be one type of professional or the other, due to vicious competition of people who were doing just one thing at a time, and around the clock. :-)

The point is, even though sometimes we don't like to, it is best if we make up our minds and set a single course of action. All religions have as goal lead us away from suffering into a type of salvation, whatever form it might take, but it is best if you stick to one.

BTW, Snowpaw, I like your avatar. I just feel like biting it. :-P
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited December 2009
    In Wiccan there's a whole sect devoted to homosexuals!:eek: Now that's pretty modern!

I am one, and I don't think this is modern. People in the west think they are free from a caste system, yet the whole thing about "gays behave like this gays talk like that", and trying to qualify someone for their sexuality is as neanderthal as it gets. I don't know how this sect would work, but I would expect, from its pagan background, it would involve either a mystical belief that sets homossexuals apart, or a place to hook up.

Sorry if it sounds a bit acid, but these are my two cents.
    edited December 2009
    I am one, and I don't think this is modern. People in the west think they are free from a caste system, yet the whole thing about "gays behave like this gays talk like that", and trying to qualify someone for their sexuality is as neanderthal as it gets. I don't know how this sect would work, but I would expect, from its pagan background, it would involve either a mystical belief that sets homossexuals apart, or a place to hook up.

Sorry, I just sort of meant many religions were/are unkind to homosexuals, but yes I've just realised that is sort of offensive.:o

edited December 2009
    I believe in the gods. Well sort of. I believe that God created the gods to protect the ancient people and to help them understand different spiritual aspects of the world and the divine.
    Yes, some Christians do condem (I dunno how to spell that word! It's the only one)
    others to Hell. Hell, in my opinion does not exist. It represents the bad actions of people and I think Bad Karma.
    I believe we go to heaven when we die and after a period of time, we go back down. Unless we're enlightened or have achieved our soul purpose. I'm kind of a Celtic Christian. Sort of. I add some Celtic spsirituality to Christianity and I have researched some actual Celtic Christianity. I believe God created spirits and gods that flow through all of nature, well what they represent. I also believe God himslef is in every natural thing including you and me.

I love your beliefs :D
    That's really interesting:)
    You live in a pagus, so you're a Buddhist paganus. Does that answer the original question? ;-)

What does pagus mean? Excuse my ignorance.:o
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2009
    What duz comowexual mean? Excuse my ignorance. You'll have to forgive me, but I rather dislike the "H" word. My swami always used to say, "Actually there is no such thing as a noun. Everything's a verb, a cycle of energy. Therefore try not to see people (especially the young) as static, but rather as loving, growing and ever evolving."

To me it's unkind to refer to people as if they were cold, dead meat —a commodity separate and distinct from oneself. Nay, we all share the same basic human nature. The appetites may vary, but that is no reason to divide people. There is no accounting for what excites people. It is especially reprehensible to label people in this way who are kind, self-sacrificing, and respectful of other people.

Putting people into categories, based solely on emotional/psychological/sexual needs is unkind and demeaning. People are bigger than that. Makes me think of a plague almost. If it were contagious, I guess someone might suggest treating it as Ebola must be treated.

Here's Wikipedia on "Pagus:"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagus
    edited December 2009
    As it happens not so long ago I heard some religion-hater (well- I hear it all the time) say all religions should be banned. I disagreed with this but for the first time it got me considering 'no religions'. Having a different religion to someone can sometimes ruin a friend or relationship. Why do we have to catogarise ourselves in anything. You don't have to say you're a Christian/Muslim/Buddhist/Hindu/Sikh/Jew ext... You're a person, end of. Many people, I'm sure, don't agree, or have faith, in every part of their religion, can't we stop being sheep and just have our own beliefs? I now understand where he/she was coming from- catagorising ourselves as bought a lot of badness through out the world through out history

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2009
    As it happens not so long ago I heard some religion-hater (well- I hear it all the time) say all religions should be banned. I disagreed with this but for the first time it got me considering 'no religions'. Having a different religion to someone can sometimes ruin a friend or relationship. Why do we have to catogarise ourselves in anything. You don't have to say you're a Christian/Muslim/Buddhist/Hindu/Sikh/Jew ext... You're a person, end of. Many people, I'm sure, don't agree, or have faith, in every part of their religion, can't we stop being sheep and just have our own beliefs? I now understand where he/she was coming from- catagorising ourselves as bought a lot of badness through out the world through out history.

Religion is, among other things, a creative expression of our search for happiness, meaning and truth. I have also heard people express their desire to "kill religion" (e.g., Dawkins et al.), and I understand some of their reasoning for making such statements, but I can't help but think that doing so would come at a great cost to humanity.
  • edited December 2009
    I've read Buddhists can have another religion...
    Is there a citation/site/link for this claim?
    Would love to see the context in which that was being said...
    What's your version of 'Buddhism'? Does it resonate with that which has been taught by the Buddha per se or perhaps a version resonating your own interests and goals for this point in life?
    Meanwhile... some other perspectives...from the Pali Canon
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an08/an08.026.than.html
    Then Jivaka Komarabhacca went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down, sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One: "Lord, to what extent is one a lay follower?" "Jivaka, when one has gone to the Buddha for refuge, has gone to the Dhamma for refuge, and has gone to the Sangha for refuge, then to that extent is one a lay follower."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an05/an05.175.than.html
    "Endowed with these five qualities, a lay follower is an outcaste of a lay follower, a stain of a lay follower, a dregs of a lay follower. Which five?
    He/she does not have conviction [in the Buddha's Awakening];
    is unvirtuous;
    is eager for protective charms & ceremonies;
    trusts protective charms & ceremonies, not kamma;
    and searches for recipients of his/her offerings outside [of the Sangha], and gives offerings there first.
    Endowed with these five qualities, a lay follower is an outcaste of a lay follower, a stain of a lay follower, a dregs of a lay follower.

"Endowed with these five qualities, a lay follower is a jewel of a lay follower, a lotus of a lay follower, a fine flower of a lay follower. Which five?
    He/she has conviction;
    is virtuous;
    is not eager for protective charms & ceremonies;
    trusts kamma, not protective charms & ceremonies;
    does not search for recipients of his/her offerings outside [of the Sangha], and gives offerings here first.
    Endowed with these five qualities, a lay follower is a jewel of a lay follower, a lotus of a lay follower, a fine flower of a lay follower."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an08/an08.026.than.html
    "And to what extent, Lord, is one a virtuous lay follower?"
    "Jivaka, when one abstains from taking life, from stealing, from sexual misconduct, from lying, and from fermented & distilled drinks that lead to heedlessness, then to that extent is one a virtuous lay follower."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.20.budd.html
    Of all the Paths the Eightfold Path is the best;
    Of all the truths the Four Noble Truths are the best;
    Of all things Passionlessness is the best:
    Of men the Seeing One (the Buddha) is the best. This is the only Path; there is none other for the purification of insight. Tread this Path, and you will bewilder Mara.
    Walking upon this Path you will make an end of suffering.
    Having discovered how to pull out the thorn of lust, I make known the Path.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.16.1-6.vaji.html
    And the Blessed One spoke, saying:
    "In whatsoever Dhamma and Discipline, Subhadda, there is not found the Noble Eightfold Path, neither is there found a true ascetic of the first, second, third, or fourth degree of saintliness.
    But in whatsoever Dhamma and Discipline there is found the Noble Eightfold Path, there is found a true ascetic of the first, second, third, and fourth degrees of saintliness.
    Now in this Dhamma and Discipline, Subhadda, is found the Noble Eightfold Path; and in it alone are also found true ascetics of the first, second, third, and fourth degrees of saintliness.
    Devoid of true ascetics are the systems of other teachers.
    edited December 2009
    Then Jivaka Komarabhacca went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down, sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One: "Lord, to what extent is one a lay follower?" "Jivaka, when one has gone to the Buddha for refuge, has gone to the Dhamma for refuge, and has gone to the Sangha for refuge, then to that extent is one a lay follower."

Being the Buddha doesn't presently exist doesn't that make it literally impossible to be a Lay Buddhist?
    "Endowed with these five qualities, a lay follower is an outcaste of a lay follower, a stain of a lay follower, a dregs of a lay follower. Which five?
    He/she does not have conviction [in the Buddha's Awakening];
    is unvirtuous;
    is eager for protective charms & ceremonies;
    trusts protective charms & ceremonies, not kamma;
    and searches for recipients of his/her offerings outside [of the Sangha], and gives offerings there first.
    Endowed with these five qualities, a lay follower is an outcaste of a lay follower, a stain of a lay follower, a dregs of a lay follower.

"Endowed with these five qualities, a lay follower is a jewel of a lay follower, a lotus of a lay follower, a fine flower of a lay follower. Which five?
    He/she has conviction;
    is virtuous;
    is not eager for protective charms & ceremonies;
    trusts kamma, not protective charms & ceremonies;
    does not search for recipients of his/her offerings outside [of the Sangha], and gives offerings here first.
    Endowed with these five qualities, a lay follower is a jewel of a lay follower, a lotus of a lay follower, a fine flower of a lay follower."

That has just really made me disapointed, and a wee bit disgusted, in Buddhism :confused: Who is to assume I don't believe in both charms and karma, a very stupid assumption to make.
    "And to what extent, Lord, is one a virtuous lay follower?"
    "Jivaka, when one abstains from taking life, from stealing, from sexual misconduct, from lying, and from fermented & distilled drinks that lead to heedlessness, then to that extent is one a virtuous lay follower."

Can anyone say they havn't broken one with out breaking one in the proccess of saying they havn't. As a once good friend said to me; "If you say you've lied you're truthfull, if you say you have not; you're a lier.";)

Of all the Paths the Eightfold Path is the best;
    Of all the truths the Four Noble Truths are the best;
    Of all things Passionlessness is the best:
    Of men the Seeing One (the Buddha) is the best. This is the only Path; there is none other for the purification of insight. Tread this Path, and you will bewilder Mara.
    Walking upon this Path you will make an end of suffering.
    Having discovered how to pull out the thorn of lust, I make known the Path.

That person should be careful their head doesn't explode;)

I do not remember where I read that Buddhists' could have other religions, just that it's not always considered a religion, and neither is Wiccan...
    Sooo...
    Joe
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Being the Buddha doesn't presently exist doesn't that make it literally impossible to be a Lay Buddhist?

The Buddha is the Dhamma. If one practices and follows the Buddhadhamma, they are a lay follower.
    That has just really made me disapointed, and a wee bit disgusted, in Buddhism :confused: Who is to assume I don't believe in both charms and karma, a very stupid assumption to make.

Why would it make you disgusted in Buddhism? The point of that quote is that one shouldn't rely on things like "protective charms" that will "protect you from bad kamma." Instead, you have to realize that only you are responsible for your kamma, and to "protect yourself" from "bad kamma," you're going to have to work on yourself.
    Can anyone say they havn't broken one with out breaking one in the proccess of saying they havn't. As a once good friend said to me; "If you say you've lied you're truthfull, if you say you have not; you're a lier."

The point of the precepts is to try. You are a lay follower if you vow to try.
    That person should be careful their head doesn't explode

The 8FP is a path which leads to Nibbana, but the perfection of the 8FP is Nibbana itself. You think trying to follow the 8FP would make one's head explode? Why? Joe, what do you believe the Buddha taught? :confused:
    I do not remember where I read that Buddhists' could have other religions, just that it's not always considered a religion, and neither is Wiccan...
    Sooo...

You can do whatever you want. The Buddha didn't teach "Buddhism." He taught a timeless, transcendent truth. This truth is the only thing which leads to the true release from dukkha, and that is all the Buddha taught.
  • edited December 2009
    Here are some links for your further investigation as to how Buddhists across the board regard the meaning and process of taking the first step commitment simply known as the Refuge:
    The Threefold Refuge
    Taking Buddhism as Refuge
    Taking Refuge: The Decision to Become a Buddhist
    The quote was not intended to assume anything on anybody's part.
    Anyone who has done a systematic and detailed study of the Buddha's Teaching, particularly on the Pali Canon, would have come across this part.
    That is why in my earlier post, there was a question asking on what were your views on Buddhism, so that we can know you better and from what perspective are you coming from, as different people think differently due to various circumstances.
    And presented also in my post were snippets from what the Buddha taught as in the Pali Canon. This particular piece of scripture in mention, speaks generally on what is to be expected/standard practice from a committed lay follower, with a proper and full understanding of the Teaching in mind.
    From another view, the teaching is meant to reach out to all kinds of beings, some with 'baggage' and some without.
    So yes, you don't believe in charms but there are others who do.
    So this scripture speaks to those who do, and who have taken up the commitment of a lay Buddhist, to relinquish them for a higher practice and self realization as how the Buddha taught. For those who don't have such a 'baggage', why should they feel the weight of the scripture's statement?
    Another analogy is just like in every household/family, there are standard norms/practices that the family abides with and for collectively.
    That is all there is to it.
    Can anyone say they havn't broken one with out breaking one in the proccess of saying they havn't. As a once good friend said to me; "If you say you've lied you're truthfull, if you say you have not; you're a lier.";)
    Again, the scriptural quote was a general advice for lay followers to take up the most fundamental Buddhist practice and training, the foundation of morality or sila. And those 5 are the basics for Buddhists.
    Whether one maintains/upholds them properly or not, that is another issue which is not the concern of this thread.
    One does not need to be perfect before taking up the Precepts/Training Rules, for it was intended for all of us who come seeking for a direction and leading to the path of self discipline as a lay Buddhist. Besides, these 5 training rules are not the sole domain of Buddhists but can also be taken up by anyone in life.
    That person should be careful their head doesn't explode;)
    You will have to forgive my ignorance as to understanding the nature and meaning of the statement above.
    Well, I must concede that the word 'religion' means differently to different people. It can range from the theistic notion to the 'do as you please' angle. The Buddha called the Path as "Dhamma & Discipline" and elsewhere as other notions but related back to the first one. I am not too clear as to what Pagans define their Path as for those ones that I have encountered in my life, differ in their explanations themselves.

Allow me to illustrate something here based on your own words and sharing some examples further along the way.
    You have brought up one point earlier, in that you do not believe in karma. Yet that is one of the teachings in Buddhism. The point that I am trying to arrive at is, in answer to your own main question, without having recourse to other opinions, it will not be easy nor practicable to combine two or more paths, i.e in the given OP's case: Paganism and Buddhism, when one may not even have the fundamentals of either or nor neither intact yet.
    As it is, if one finds hard even to accept (not to mention practice) one Path's teachings, how is it possible to even practice both at the same time?
    Akin to 2 ships, one places one foot in either, when both ships go their own way, what happens to the one placing one foot in both? H/She will perhaps have to make a decision to finally place both feet firmly in one ship or experience falling into the sea.

Then there is the other point...
    Syncretic practice? Cafeteria believers?
    I have no problems with those who do but they should also know, that when one does that, then one should not be expecting the full/total benefits of the Path as expounded by the Buddha to be realised as how He envisioned it for us. It is quite realistic to expect that when we choose to do things our way, then be prepared for our own results.
    One example:
    If one who has a problem with head dandruff and uses many shampoo / treatment brands at the same time, what is to be expected?
    Yes, one is using all those shampoos intended for hair dandruff treatment but not all is good/suitable for one's condition.
    They must be tested out individually to the fullest for optimum results to see if it really works isn't it? If it doesn't, after all that intensive use and care of one brand, fine, go ahead and change to another.
    But if one is gonna use all the brands at the same time, making a shampoo 'cocktail', and on top of that inconsistently, then perhaps it's not realistic at all to later say that the whole thing is not working out when actually, it was the user's approach that needed to be reviewed.
    Yes initially, it may seem to work out but in the long run, there are even potential chemical side effects that may trigger off an even more serious problem like how one friend of mine found out that it started to cause balding for his case. So now, he has to contend with dandruff AND balding.
    Last I heard, he is following treatment with one specialist.

Similarly, having been a member of many, many online Buddhist Forums and in real life, Dharma centres/temples, there were many sharings of people who did just that: combining different paths. Sounded cool and very transcendental at the earlier stages, but they speak of later experiences where as they progress along, they found that the paths start to fork out their own individual roads.
    Some of them end up choosing to have a full commitment in Buddhism, some in other paths, some...I have no idea how they ended up back in Christianity, as in the real life cases, where I knew these people who gave 'testimonies' of their spiritual journey when I was still in Church then, it's okay, I rejoice with them that they finally found something suitable.
    But in many cases, they ended up incriminating and blaming Buddhism for their spiritual woes. Upon placing them under further scrutiny, most are actually having a cocktail menu of various ideologies and practices that are not even Buddhist to begin with, and when questioned further on Buddhism per se, that's where the cat comes out of the bag. That they did not really have a firm grasp nor a committed practice in Buddhism per se.

A final general sharing from my own experience:
    Where I live in South East Asia, it was amazing to hear these people categorizing their involvement in astrology, necromancy, consulting mediums/sorcerers, going after the latest amulets/charms, various strange ceremonies/rites, geomancy and the whole 'shopping list' as 'Buddhism'. When you ask them on stuff like the 4 Noble Truths, Eightfold Noble Path, Dependent Origination, Triple Gem and so on, it's often either the wild look or the 'DOH!' that one often gets. But the first word that often falls out of their lips is "I'm 'Buddhist'". And what type of impression do the common Christians have on 'Buddhism'? As what these people claim. The more discerning ones amongst them know that it is not.

At the end of the day, it's one's own life, decisions and consequences.
    One is truly the heir of one's own doing or undoing. Even the Buddha can only show the way, we must walk it. He has done His walking and achieving, how about me? :cool:
    edited December 2009
    Hello everyone,
    I apologise, I misunderstood many things said, and some people have, I think, misunderstood me...

I do believe in kama and charms although I do understand that they can not be used to remove bad kama. (Sorry if I displayed I thought differently:o).

Uh, sorry about the Buddha thing, I didn't fully think about that:o

I guess I wasn't thinking straight about the Lay Buddhist thing, I usually say if you can't do something you should at least try, again wasn't thinking straight *wishes I could re-answer the post:(*

I use the term 'big headedness'. It annoys me when people say that's the Truth and that's the Best Way, it's sort of the reason I escaped from Christianity. Everyone thinking 'my religions the big ''I am'' '. No one knows for certain what paths are best, we can only guess, that's why I don't like people saying this path, this way, this idea, is the best, maybe that's just me, sorry.

My beliefs change constantly and I've hopped from one religious stepping stone to the next, trying to find out which one holds me firmest. I recently had one of my common minie-enlightenings where I find out a bit of my True Self. In that I discovered that the only way to keep my head above the Waters of Life I needed two stepping stones and a good look out for an even better one. That is why I have two faiths and try to read as much as I can about as many as I can. I have taken a quiz that showed I matched Theravada Buddhism 100% and then a few days later I took it again and discovered Theravada had dropped way down the list, Mahayanan was fourth and Neo-Pagan 100% (just an example of my changing beliefs).
    My beliefs

Belief in a Diety

I believe in Mother Earth as a sort of Goddess that supports all her children and changes whole species like a child growing in a Mother's womb. I believe in planets as Gods and planets out there that support life as Goddesses. Moons are like Demi-Gods and Demi-Goddesses. This is slightly a metaphorical term when I use God and Goddess.

After Life

I believe after death you have a short 'rest' is some heaven-like place (a bit like a life tea-break lol). Afterwards the whole karma/reincarnation thing. When you break the cycle (Buddhist way) your soul (yes, I believe in souls) goes into like an even bigger wheel; The Wheel of Life. When the world ends she starts over but slightly differently.

Modern Issues and Other Beliefs

I believe in contacting the Goddess in a way through charms and medatating ekcetra. I believe on equal right for people of any gender, race, religion or sexual preference (apart from paedophiles). On the topic of abortion I believe it's murder and even if a children home is the only choice at least they have a life, and a possible new family. I believe everything happens for a reason, including births. I only believe in abortion if the birth threatons the mother or the child has a physical or metal illness or deformaty the parents could not afford to provide correct care for.
    Do my beliefs match any faith fully:).
    Thankyou,
    Joe:)
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Hi Joe,

From the looks of things I would say you are pagan and not buddhist (never trust an on-line test! :lol:)
    Paganism is a very much progressive religion and a very personal one. No two people can say they follow exactly the same. Buddhism is also a personal journey, but it has structure and is based on the teachings of Buddha. From what you have stated, and from what I know of Buddhism, your beliefs don't fall in-line with Buddhism. (Sorry)

I have met a few pagans (wiccans) who include Buddhist practice with-in their religion but do not call themselves "Buddhist". Personally I see nothing wrong with this. But please note, they do not follow both religions. The reason for this is confusion. You can already see how yourself (I assume) and others on this thread have got confused. Let me explain... As you deepen your spiritual journey (and I hope you do), you will learn more of Buddhism and more of Paganism, and you will find many things which conflict each other (like the use of charms/gods and goddesses etc). This might even stir up doubt and confusion in your mind, but please be assured, Buddhism (and paganism) is just one way. Only you can decide which way is best for you. Once you found it, go for it :cool: There's no need to choose a "side", just find what's best for you and what works for you. And what I've learned, try not to label yourself. You are a spiritual person on a journey. No need to call yourself "buddhist" or "pagan" or "wiccan" or anything. Enjoy the journey, find your niche, and practice with all your heart to free all santient beings from suffering.

Nios.

PS, I was raised christian, moved to paganism, then finally found buddhism. (with stints in other religions on the way :cool:)
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Buddhists value all living beings and have other similarities with Pagan beliefs.
    No idea where the 'non Judao-Christian' came from - the word is related to fields.

Buddhism in the west may well take on board Pagan culture, as it has taken on cultural accretions from other countries. It ws probably once asked within Tibet - will Buddhism be acceptable with Bon, or in China - will it fit well with Daoism.

I love the utterly simple creed most Pagans follow:
    'Do what thou wilt save it harm none.' It is a great fit with 'non harming', ahimsa etc. valued within India.

Buddhism is too late arriving in the West to absorb Yuletide - the Christians pinched it long ago.LOL :)
    edited December 2009
    I don't think there's much point in pigeon holling myself into being called anything, I'm just a person... :)
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Nios wrote: »
    Hi Joe,

From the looks of things I would say you are pagan and not buddhist (never trust an on-line test! :lol:)
    Paganism is a very much progressive religion and a very personal one. No two people can say they follow exactly the same. Buddhism is also a personal journey, but it has structure and is based on the teachings of Buddha. From what you have stated, and from what I know of Buddhism, your beliefs don't fall in-line with Buddhism. (Sorry)

I have met a few pagans (wiccans) who include Buddhist practice with-in their religion but do not call themselves "Buddhist". Personally I see nothing wrong with this. But please note, they do not follow both religions. The reason for this is confusion. You can already see how yourself (I assume) and others on this thread have got confused. Let me explain... As you deepen your spiritual journey (and I hope you do), you will learn more of Buddhism and more of Paganism, and you will find many things which conflict each other (like the use of charms/gods and goddesses etc). This might even stir up doubt and confusion in your mind, but please be assured, Buddhism (and paganism) is just one way. Only you can decide which way is best for you. Once you found it, go for it :cool: There's no need to choose a "side", just find what's best for you and what works for you. And what I've learned, try not to label yourself. You are a spiritual person on a journey. No need to call yourself "buddhist" or "pagan" or "wiccan" or anything. Enjoy the journey, find your niche, and practice with all your heart to free all santient beings from suffering.

Nios.

PS, I was raised christian, moved to paganism, then finally found buddhism. (with stints in other religions on the way :cool:)

Interesting Nios, but I kind of disagree with you. (Disclaimer - I have not seriously practised Buddhism for very long, only 8 months so I am willing to be corrected on anything I am wrong about in regards to Buddhism)

I have been a Pagan for about 18 years. I was Wiccan for 8 and Kemetic Orthodox for 10 (although to be totally honest, my beliefs are still Kemetic, I honour/worship the Kemetic Deities). I find that I _CAN_ practise both together. Thich Nhat Hanh is his book "Living Buddha, Living Christ" said that one can even be a Christian Buddhist as he found so many similarities. He even has a statue of Jesus on his altar with the Buddha. Before that (and asking here) I often thought I wasn't "good enough" to be a Buddhist because I wasn't an atheist and struggled with anatman.

Of course this is just my opinion and may be quite flawed, so take it for what it's worth :)

Edited to add: Just to give you some background, in the Kemetic path we have the concept of Ma'at (and also a Goddess Ma'at), which is "Truth" or that which is right. Ma'at is neither good nor bad, it just is. I find the Noble Eightfold Path and Ma'at to be in harmony so by trying to live the NEP is also trying to walk in Ma'at.

Hope that helps explain my position :)

Respectfully,
    Raven
    edited December 2009
    Thanks Raven :)
    For the past month or two I have changed beliefs at an alarming rate, but a few days ago I decided it needed to stop. All my friends, family, teachers etcetra know I'm a Buddhist, and it would get confusing if one day I'm a monotheist, then a polytheist, then a duotheist, so I looked as deep as I could to what I truly believe (and trust me- it's not like anything I put before). Of all the time I've called myself 'Buddhist' I've only meditated a few times but now I feel stable again so I will try to begin meditating, as I belief it's good for the mind, and it makes me feel good. Here my TRUE beliefs are;

Belief in a Diety
    I'm Agnostic, although I believe in evolution over creation.

Afterlife
    I can't be sure but I believe in the possibilities of things I'd probobly give heaven about ten percent, nothing thirty-five percent, reinarnation fifty percent, Other about five percent. I'm not sure if I believe in ghosts but I do believe there is definitely something exciting, unknown, and supernatural, somewhere. I believe in something in us like a soul or a life force or something I guess.

Modern Issues
    Pretty much the same as my other ones modern issues, equal rights for all genders, races, religions, sexual preferences. And the same views on abortion.

• NiosNios Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Interesting Nios, but I kind of disagree with you. (Disclaimer - I have not seriously practised Buddhism for very long, only 8 months so I am willing to be corrected on anything I am wrong about in regards to Buddhism)

I have been a Pagan for about 18 years. I was Wiccan for 8 and Kemetic Orthodox for 10 (although to be totally honest, my beliefs are still Kemetic, I honour/worship the Kemetic Deities). I find that I _CAN_ practise both together. Thich Nhat Hanh is his book "Living Buddha, Living Christ" said that one can even be a Christian Buddhist as he found so many similarities. He even has a statue of Jesus on his altar with the Buddha. Before that (and asking here) I often thought I wasn't "good enough" to be a Buddhist because I wasn't an atheist and struggled with anatman.

Of course this is just my opinion and may be quite flawed, so take it for what it's worth :)

Edited to add: Just to give you some background, in the Kemetic path we have the concept of Ma'at (and also a Goddess Ma'at), which is "Truth" or that which is right. Ma'at is neither good nor bad, it just is. I find the Noble Eightfold Path and Ma'at to be in harmony so by trying to live the NEP is also trying to walk in Ma'at.

Hope that helps explain my position :)

Respectfully,
    Raven

Hi Raven,

Essentially we actually agree with each-other. :)
    TNH did find similarities, as have many (including myself and my teacher). But the differences are also there.

:D
    edited December 2009
    dhammachick

The practice of Buddhism does not require worship of deities or belief in them.
    However, neither does it negate such beliefs, as long as these dieties are regarded as described in the Buddhist cosmology, and regarded as a means of working on the mind rather than objects of worship.

I think your Kemetic beliefs are perhaps most closely related to Vajrayana Buddhism, where deities represent aspects of the mind we seek to cultivate. Kemetic deities represent aspects of the one, Netjer, which would match a Hindu cosmology, which is very similar to the Buddhist cosmology used within Vajrayana, albeit that Buddhist deties are lower in the pecking order and there is no creator deity.

Looking at a few descriptions of Kemetic activities, there seem to be quite a few parallels with Vajrayana - pujas, shrines, emphasis on lineage, Akhus as similar to Buddhas and Bodhisattvas etc. I daresay that many 'revived' forms of worship which had no ongoing rituals borrowed ceremonies from elsewhere and adapted them.

However, the bad news is that within Buddhism there is no 'need' for Refuge other than in the 3 Jewels. Combining with other formalised religions is very difficult, as if one then takes refuge in anything else in weakens that Refuge commitment within Buddhism.

I do not see a problem for a Buddhist with 'pagan' respect for life, the seasons etc etc. but the line must surely be drawn at actions which take Refuge in ceremonies or deities attached to that.

I know very little of Kemetic Orthodoxy except for the Wiki enty but whereas Wicca and Druidry are revivals or developments of Pagan faiths, yours seems to be a revival of Egyptian worship and I can't see how it fits into this topic other than it was founded by someone formerly Wiccan. What is the Pagan nature of Kemetic Orthodoxy?
    edited December 2009
    I like where you're coming from Yeshe:) I've decided to follow Therevada Buddhism as I agree with much of their beliefs. I still have a healthy respect for Mother Earth & Nature of course;)
    The Dalai Lama indirectly implied that we should NOT focus on our differences, Nios. So shouldn't we really be trying to bring ourselves closer together than push ourselves apart, after all- what good would that do us?;)
    Love & Peace,
    edited December 2009

Just saying, I recently learned about some new religions and stuff and I found out that one or two sects of Christianity a polytheistic! I don't remember there names or their full beliefs I'm afraid :( but I'll have a look :)
    edited December 2009
    Just saying, I recently learned about some new religions and stuff and I found out that one or two sects of Christianity a polytheistic! I don't remember there names or their full beliefs I'm afraid :( but I'll have a look :)

They're called Catholics - Father, Son, Holy Ghost, Virgin Mary, Pope - and any other saint you care to pray to. In my book, if you pray to them, they're a de facto deity as an object of worship, veneration and propitiation. LOL :)
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited January 2010
    The Dalai Lama indirectly implied that we should NOT focus on our differences, Nios. So shouldn't we really be trying to bring ourselves closer together than push ourselves apart, after all- what good would that do us?;)
    Love & Peace,

I think perhaps either I have not made my position clear or you have not understood it, either way let me apologise and try to re-iterate...

I am not focusing on the differences, but neither am I ignoring them.

I LOVE other religions. I love finding the similarities, finding the ties not only in their teachings but in actual historical "meetings" between them. Learning about religions and where buddhism and "them" meet is one of my hobbies. And I encourage others to do the same.

Also, as I said before, I see nothing wrong in anyone, of any religion or school of thought, including parts of other religions in their practice or even taking part, now and again, in another form of religion. My wife is christian but comes along to our sangha meetings. She isn't buddhist and doesn't take part in the refuge or chanting, but she loves the meditation and the incense, and the teachings and so on. I see nothing wrong with this. I still enjoy reading the bible and reading about the "old" religions of europe and africa and so on and so fourth. I love dicussing the similarites between religions with friends.

Through my years of study I have also grown a very deep respect for the differences. Unlike others I do not see them as a barrier but I see them as something wonderful. We are all different with different beliefs and it all makes life so much more interesting. I think it's actually a real shame when someone comes along and says that two different religions are the "same". Yes there are similarities, which is important to remember, but I think the differences are also important. It makes life more interesting.

I think, what people like the Dalai Lama and TNH are trying to do is to re-educate those who only see differences. They are saying "look, there are so many similarites". And I don't dispute that. I commend that. What I'm saying is, to the people who only see similarites "look, there are differences too" and both these views are just as important if we are to understand and respect eachother. The middle path, no? If we were all the same following the same path, how boring would life be?

Maybe my views are not mainstream. Maybe even confusing to many people. The problem, I've always found, is trying to express what I mean on a webforum. Not easy when you have dislexia. This is why I usually stay out of converstations, because I end up either confusing people or not expressing what is in my head.

I hope that has cleared up a few things. If not, apologies again.

Nios. ;)
    edited January 2010
    I should be the one appologising my friend, sorry. Thankyou for explaining. :)
    Joe

P.S. I didn't mean catholics I don't think BTW.
  • edited January 2010

Thanks,

Hi Joe.
    Before becomming a buddhist I was a Pagan and had been for about 10 years. Basically British paganism was centred on the worship and protection of mother earth and nature. The Wiccan aspect which goes with it (which i was almost part of) is the magic side, which uses candles, herbs and other items to do spells. The main rule was "If it harmeth none, do as you will".

When examining this rule, it iseasy to see the link between Buddhism and Paganism - the shared belief in karma and not getting away with anything, and with balance.

The reason I became a buddhist and left paganism behind was that i needed a path and teachings which could help me to be a better person for both myself and others. I was doing 'white' spells (blessings, protections etc) to help others, but i needed to focus on myself and make myself a better person before i could start with others.

There are still some strong elements of Paganism/wicca that i do (tarot, occasionally candle spells etc). I think both work very well together - buddhism gives us teachings and a path, and paganism/wiccan gives us magic.

But, really, all religions are the same just with different names and interpretations of the same values - be kind, love everyone, and feed people.
    edited January 2010
    :)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Joe, wherever did you get the idea that Buddhism is a religion?

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    Thank You Palzang :)

Dear Friends,

As I understand "Training with the BuddhaDharma" (my quote hehe) from a bit of poor training. It's about training to develop the mind as a effective tool to closely examine (penetrate) whatever's happening in and around us. All the teachings, if correct, are simply skillful means to help others understand and eventually KNOW how to do this.

How this is applied is a personal decision. If we grasp to tightly to some notion of what Buddhism is or isn't, based on the words in some sutra or from some "teacher" do we lose our capacity to really investigate all circumstances with an openness that allows us to clearly understand what's happening.

I actually like the teachings of some ole' guy called the His Holiness the Dalai Lama and another ole' guy called Thich Nhat Hanh when they talk about our practice as simply hearing, thinking, and meditating. For me that's hearing or receiving information about stuff happening through my sense doors, Thinking, which is really investigating and verifying the correctness of that information through contemplation, and, finally, meditating upon personally verified information in order to habituate myself to what I, with confidence, imagine to be the correct path.

So, go out and investigate stuff, Yahoo!! enjoy the play in the garden. Don't get stuck in what others say is correct or not. Certainly listen to what folks are saying but don't just believe it because it's what they say is correct.

I heard this said and I like it, it applies to this rant also - "Don't believe a word that I say." "I can't tell you the truth." "You, dear have to find that for yourself." Have fun! Do this with Humor!! :lol:

Shalom and Hugs
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I agree, Brother. Shugs! (short for Shalom and Hugs)

Palzang
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010
    How much of what we call paganism today, especially the old European religions, is really a continuation of those old world views and practices, and how much is born out of Victorian spiritualist whooey. Those "Druids" who gather at stonehenge for instance. :wtf:
    edited January 2010
    Oh forget it, I'm ME, there is no one else like ME, I am unique :D LOL That's what is says in my RE book :D Anyway, it was just a, em, 'fling', I'm over it now. LOL sorry...
    Love & Peace
    Joe
    edited January 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Joe, wherever did you get the idea that Buddhism is a religion?

Palzang

According to da List of World Religions... Here's the definitian of 'religion' and 'Buddhism' from my Oxford English Dictionary;
    religion a belief in God or gods; a system of worship and
    faith; a formalized expression of belief.
    Buddhism a system of ethics and philosophy based on teach-
    ings of Buddha.

By that I'd say I think you're right Palzang.

Love & Peace
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I'm ME, there is no one else like ME, I am unique

Thank God, er, I mean, Buddha!

Yes, I know Buddhism is normally listed as a religion, but it really doesn't meet any of the normal criteria one expects of a religion, does it? No god, for instance. No savior. No concept of a soul. All that good stuff. My teacher calls it a technology, other people call it a philosophy. IMHO, it doesn't matter what you call it, the important thing is to just do it because it will eventually end not only your suffering, but the suffering of all sentient beings. Ne c'est pas?

Palzang