Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Paganism

2»

Comments

• Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited January 2010
    So technically we're faithless, hopeless, and souless. That says it all :D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Yes, grasshopper.

Palzang
    edited January 2010
    :lol: I'm a faithless, souless, hopeless person... What make us sound even better is if we didn't believe in hearts either....:D
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Yes, grasshopper.

Palzang
    Could you please call me grasshopper? Ive never been called grasshopper.:)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    No, grasshopper, I can't.

You mean you have a heart, LNP? Hmmm...

Palzang
  • edited January 2010
    i love paganism
  • edited January 2010
    I've read up about taoism and I think there beleifs are fascinating.So I think I will become a Taoist Buddhist.
  • edited January 2010
    I think this Buddhism plus one thing is really down to individual perception and feeling...

i converted out of christianity, then became heavily involved in paganism for several years before converting to judaism and then hinduism..

In between i bounced between Buddhism and shamanism and even islam..

Im guessing in this context that paganism means the old style nature centric type paths like wicca or druidism.. etc

I personally believe in the idea that we are our ancestors, and that who and what our ancestors were, how they lived and believed influences us today.

Im a mixture of many differant cultures, southern irish, roma, hungarian,eurasion, jewish, english, scots .. and i think that the reason i went through so many differant paths was just the voices of my ancestors speaking with me... ive always indulged myself when it comes to that and allowed myself to explore my feelings of connections to certian paths or beliefs fully ...

i like to think that its made me more rounded and with a better understanding of myself and the world.. i see those explorations now as a kind of search for understanding of who i am...

I call myself a hindu now.. its a path that for me makes the most sense. It incorporates many of the ''pagan'' ideas i found so attractive in my younger days and allows me the freedom to have them in my life and to worship as i please ...

to me - everything is connected to each other... i say prayers into the rising sun now - just as i did when i was a pagan... the language and words have changed - but the intent , the reason behind them has not...

I follow the teachings of Lord Buddha too.. i study the dharmapadda, go to meditation classes at a buddhist center. If i go to a buddhist temple - ill bow and offer obeisances to buddha just as i would my deities in the temple...

does that make me a buddhist ??? i would say yes - many others would say no because i believe in god ... does it really matter how others see or define me ??

once i would have said yes - now i would say no. The point of Buddhas teachings was to free humanity from moksa and from suffering... to unite us - not divide us by giving us yet another lable and way of calling ourselves...

in the dhammapada- buddha says that you can read all the holy words you want - but what use are they if you dont apply them...

and i think by that he meant that all faiths have something to offer and that its their teachings that should be important above all else...

i think on some levels buddhism is complementary ot ''paganism'' on others its not .. so long as you can reconcile them without loosing the essence of either teaching or path - then i personally dont see a problem with practising both...
    edited January 2010
    So do I Pietro!
    Interesting KJ! I don't like to pigeon-hole myself personally :D As it says on my religious affiliation 'I am unique :o)' :lol: Most people have a sect though.
    And I must say you're a very interesting person Channah! You must know lots and lots about religion, shows a very open and questioning mind :thumbsup:
    Love & Peace
    Joe
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Greetings Yeshe,

I apologise for the tardiness of my reply - I have been in hospital and away from here far longer than I hoped.

Having said that, you are correct in your summary of Kemetic Orthodoxy. I myself do not see refuge in the Three Jewels as being the same as worshipping the Netjer and I apologise if I misled you into believing that to be the case. I just myself find the comparisons between Ma'at and the NEP to be similar.

The Pagan nature of KO is that they are monolatrous - basically Netjer (Divine One) is the one and the many. The Names of Netjer (eg NebtHet, Aset, Wesir etc) are facets or personalities of Netjer.

That's a really basic description but pretty much sums it up.

Hope that helps.

- Raven

ETA: KO also believes in heka (magic) and the afterlife. However they have a belief that if you "fail" judgement day then your soul is swallowed by the demon Ammit and you cease to exist.
    Yeshe wrote: »
    dhammachick

The practice of Buddhism does not require worship of deities or belief in them.
    However, neither does it negate such beliefs, as long as these dieties are regarded as described in the Buddhist cosmology, and regarded as a means of working on the mind rather than objects of worship.

I think your Kemetic beliefs are perhaps most closely related to Vajrayana Buddhism, where deities represent aspects of the mind we seek to cultivate. Kemetic deities represent aspects of the one, Netjer, which would match a Hindu cosmology, which is very similar to the Buddhist cosmology used within Vajrayana, albeit that Buddhist deties are lower in the pecking order and there is no creator deity.

Looking at a few descriptions of Kemetic activities, there seem to be quite a few parallels with Vajrayana - pujas, shrines, emphasis on lineage, Akhus as similar to Buddhas and Bodhisattvas etc. I daresay that many 'revived' forms of worship which had no ongoing rituals borrowed ceremonies from elsewhere and adapted them.

However, the bad news is that within Buddhism there is no 'need' for Refuge other than in the 3 Jewels. Combining with other formalised religions is very difficult, as if one then takes refuge in anything else in weakens that Refuge commitment within Buddhism.

I do not see a problem for a Buddhist with 'pagan' respect for life, the seasons etc etc. but the line must surely be drawn at actions which take Refuge in ceremonies or deities attached to that.

I know very little of Kemetic Orthodoxy except for the Wiki enty but whereas Wicca and Druidry are revivals or developments of Pagan faiths, yours seems to be a revival of Egyptian worship and I can't see how it fits into this topic other than it was founded by someone formerly Wiccan. What is the Pagan nature of Kemetic Orthodoxy?