Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Curious . . .

edited October 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Hello, I've been lurking here for the last couple of days so I thought I'd pop in and introduce myself.

Now where do I start . . .

Oh yea, what about my religious past and what I'm doing here. I'm from an evangelical Christian family, and still living at home. I've considered myself and evangelical christian, an agnostic, a pantheist, and an atheist--in that order. It's been a bumpy ride LOL.

I've been interested in meditation and yoga for some time now, and it seems that those were the first things that brought eastern religions in general to my attention. However, some of the book I read on yoga rather pushed me off the topic because they involve way more mystical thinking than I can stomach. :skeptical
Anyway, reading about that was part of me coming out of christianity, which I've always had a bit of trouble with because it involves a lot of dogma and such. I can't just make myself belive things, and I was always worried that I wasn't saved or something. Few other things pulled me out of that belief system on the way, but I'm not gonna get into detail here. Otherwise this post could get really long and rambly :p

I think the thing that triggered my interest in Buddhism was a quote that I found on an atheism website (www.positiveatheism.com) which is attributed to Buddha:
Believe nothing, O monks, merely because you have been told it ... or because it is traditional, or because you yourselves have imagined it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings -- that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide.
-- Buddha (attributed: source unknown)

I can't help but be attracted to a religion that says to use your own mind to discover what you should believe. So here I am, reading and seeking. Dunno if I'll ever actually call myself a Buddhist, but I do agree with quite a lot that I read about Buddhism. Think I read somewhere that we're not supposed to be to concerned with labels anyway :winkc:

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Welcome to the site. Just for your information that quote is from the Kalama sutta. Here is a link if you are interested in reading the entire thing. http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/
  • edited July 2005
    starstuff wrote:
    I'm from an evangelical Christian family, and still living at home. I've considered myself and evangelical christian, an agnostic, a pantheist, and an atheist--in that order.

I was a Roman Catholic, a Pentocostal, and non-denominational liberal Christian, an agnostic, an atheist, then an atheist Buddhist (and still am). I absolutely can't stand it when my mom tells me she believes such and such because that's what the pope says. She doesn't even read the Bible. Studying the Bible is what led me away from Catholicism, and eventually away from Christianity itself. Like you, I'm not much into people just telling me what to believe and expecting me to do it, or else. Not much for the mumbo jumbo in general ;)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2005
    The next step is to realise that all is "mumbo jumbo" and that we take for granted all sorts of things far more unreasonable than religious dogma!

Welcome, Starstuff.
  • edited July 2005
    Thanks to all for the warm welcome! And thanks a lot to Elohim for the cool link :thumbsup:
  • edited July 2005
    The next step is to realise that all is "mumbo jumbo" and that we take for granted all sorts of things far more unreasonable than religious dogma!

Very true. Especially considering all the 'snake oil' being sold these days.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Ha! That was the wrong link. LOL. Here is the Kalama sutta http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an03-065.html
    Hehe sorry about that. I'm glad you enjoyed it anyhow. :)
  • edited July 2005
    Haha Thanks for both links
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Welcome to the site!
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Welcome.
  • edited July 2005
    Hello All-
    I, too, have been nosing around for a few days. I am so incredibly happy I found this site. I have learned so much already by simply reading what is posted already. Also, there have been many though provoking questions.

I look forward to discussing and learning alongside you all!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Again, welcome to all newcomers. And congratulations on achieving this Precious Human Rebirth!

Hard Flower, if you ever get up to Sedona, stop by our temple and check out our amazing Amitabha Stupa. It's a 36 ft. tall red stupa just like the red rocks. It really rocks (scuse the pun)! The temple's name is Kunzang Palyul Choling, and we're located right next to the Sedona Public Library. www.kpc-sedona.org

Oh, I'm in Mongolia right now, but there's lots of other nice people there to greet you!

[IMG][/img]welcome3xf.gif

Palzang
  • edited July 2005
    Palzang-

Thank you for the welcome and the information. I was tossing around the idea of going to Sedona in the next couple of months, even moreso now!

I look forward to it.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Welcome to both starstuff and HardFlower. We're certainly glad to have you here :)
  • edited July 2005
    Hello to you both! I look forward to getting to know you both. Again, welcome to the site.

Adiana :D:D
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Here's a picture of the Sedona stupa to picque your interest even more!

[IMG][/img]sedstupa5aw.jpg
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Palzang that s BIG!
    Welcome strarstuff and Hardflower! Hope you are liking the forum. :)
  • edited August 2005
    Oh My.....I have never been so welcomed! Thank you all! I am at a turning point in my life (aren't we all) and in a very tumultuous time. I have learned so much by simply reading what everyone has to say here.

I love the picture from Sedona!

Things happen for a reason! It was purely by accident that I came across this site.....
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Buddhist lesson #1: There are no accidents!

Palzang
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I think the only way we should feel is welcomed. LOL Some other forums have forgotten this.
  • edited August 2005
    Welcome to both of you!! I love seeing those pictures of the temple in Sedona, but it also makes me sad because we got married in Sedona and I never went to see that temple! :( And now I don't live in Arizona anymore! Ahhh well....gives me another reason to go back to Sedona!

Anyways....I am sure both of you will find everyone here to be very friendly and helpful! This is a wonderful site!
  • MakarovMakarov Explorer
    edited October 2005
    Dear Curious, I have posted in other places how I came to Buddhism and it is much like your own story. I sought first a way to achieve relaxation engaging in simplified forms of Japanese Tea Drinking Ceremonies which combine meditation with the refined art of preparing and drinking tea. Primarily a relaxation technique but it quickly led me to seek a deeper philosophy of inner peace, peaceful living AND meditation. The more I read and questioned others about Buddhism I, as an agnostic, discovered that it encompassed everything I was looking for in terms of a lifestyle free of judgement, demands of blind faith and what I view as the "blackmail" aspects of Christianity...the accept it or burn in hell concept." It has been a difficult path for me not because of family pressures but more due to community pressure as I live in the Bible Belt AND in a city that is home to 5 Evangelical/Fundamentalist Colleges/Universities. I guess my beginners advice would be to learn everything you can, then decide on which "form: of Buddhism best speaks to you and move forward in that direction. I for one, find the images of multi-armed deities with oddly colored bodies, etc which I attribute in my beginners mind to Hindu influences, to be "put-offish". As a Westerner however I am sure that is normal. I find that for myself I focus almost entirely on the teachings and far less on the imagery which for newcommers can be disturbing at times. For me, personally, I try to follow the teachings of The Buddha who was a simple yet enlightened man, a great teacher and a mortal human. Use your ability to question and think, something which Christianity doesn't always welcome. You will find the path that is right for you. My understanding is that if it helps you move closer to the ultimate goal of enlightenment and live a peaceful and compassionate life as taught by The Buddha....it is probably a good thing.