Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Truth about Christianity & Buddhism co-existing ... seeking advice

edited February 2010 in Faith & Religion
Hello people,

In search of some "en-lightening" advice, I come to you with a few questions that are currently really keeping me busy... hope you can help me out.

I am a Catholic Christian, although I must right away admit; not an active church goer or bible reader etc., as much as trying to live as an honest person with Christian beliefs.

Lately though I have realized that I am in search of some spiritual or maybe even practical guide-lines for my day-to-day life, and recently I have come to realize I can relate to many aspects of the BUDDHIST philosophy.

... However many questions arise now...

1 - Being a Christian is very important to me, can I still practice BUDDHISM, without "betraying" my own religion? I read many say BUDDHISM is "not" a religion and therefore can co-exist.

2 - But what about accepting BUDDHA as a spiritual leader ?? (Taking refuge...) That looks like it would be against the 2nd Commandment ... ( not worshiping another "idol") ... I read that BUDDHA is not a God, yet one should accept only his spirtual guidance ?? Three jewels etc.

I would very much like to hear from you, your views on this situation, especially keeping in mind that I consider God my spiritual leader, but find the BUDDHIST ways to be very pure and seemingly compatible with Christianity.

Thank you all for your time and advice !! :)

Comments

• Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Buddhism does not put limitations on what one believes. I would recommend learning all you can, thinking about it, and questioning it (pretty generic I know but that is the proccess). Those who study Buddha's teachings do not worship Buddha but follow his teachings and counsel. However, your Christian beliefs might conflict with somethings Buddha taught, no worries, question it all and if it doesn't work with your logic it is not your thing. My GF is a cafeteria catholic but she still meditates and follows many Buddhist precepts. She even goes to meditation with me at times.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Hank,

You're free to take as much or as little from Buddhism and any other religion/belief system/whatever as you like. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. If you find something beneficial, take it for what it is.
    1 - Being a Christian is very important to me, can I still practice BUDDHISM, without "betraying" my own religion? I read many say BUDDHISM is "not" a religion and therefore can co-exist.

The Buddha explained that he taught only one thing: dukkha and freedom of dukkha. That is, suffering of the mind. His teachings are not concerned with things like God and such. If you can sit and observe the true nature of your mind then you are practicing "Buddhism." It's not a religion, although religions called "Buddhism" have been built around it. It would only be betraying your religion as much as reading a Dr. Phil book would be.

If you are looking for straightforward teachings that cut to the core of his message, then I would suggest looking into the Theravada tradition primarily. For someone such as yourself, I would suggest the teachings of Buddhadasa and Prayudh Payutto which can be found here: http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/ - they cut straight to the heart of of Buddha's teachings on quenching dukkha.
    2 - But what about accepting BUDDHA as a spiritual leader ?? (Taking refuge...) That looks like it would be against the 2nd Commandment ... ( not worshiping another "idol") ... I read that BUDDHA is not a God, yet one should accept only his spirtual guidance ?? Three jewels etc.

The Buddha was a man who claimed nothing but inner peace and freedom from dukkha: Nibbana. And this, in turn, is all he taught. You take refuge in the Buddha, the dhamma, the sangha, the teachings that lead to the freedom of dukkha. It has nothing to do with worship. If you practice his teachings and have respect for them then you've taken refuge in him; you see firsthand that his teachings hold true and you practice them. You take refuge in many things every day.

There is nothing about only accepting his spiritual guidance. Indeed, the Buddha is no longer alive. ;) The dhamma is not "his," rather, the dhamma is universal truth... you can find it anywhere when you know what to look for.
  • edited December 2009
    If you are looking for straightforward teachings that cut to the core of his message, then I would suggest looking into the Theravada tradition primarily. For someone such as yourself, I would suggest the teachings of Buddhadasa and Prayudh Payutto which can be found here: http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/ - they cut straight to the heart of of Buddha's teachings on quenching dukkha.
    I am very much so, thanks allot for the link / suggestion, I will surely look into it.

I can really appreciate your comparative way of explaining and analyzing my dilemma (if you will). I guess I do agree for the most parts, which is a relief as you may understand. I love my religion, but am starting to share a big passion also for BUDDHISM ...
    You take refuge in the Buddha, the dhamma, the sangha, the teachings that lead to the freedom of dukkha. It has nothing to do with worship. If you practice his teachings and have respect for them then you've taken refuge in him; you see firsthand that his teachings hold true and you practice them. You take refuge in many things every day.
    I appreciate once again your analogy, however, when you speak of teachings & taking refuge in BUDDHA, it sounds as though it could be considered idolizing ... what is your take on that?
    ...your Christian beliefs might conflict with somethings Buddha taught, no worries, question it all and if it doesn't work with your logic it is not your thing.
    Yes QUIET_WITNESS that's my point, I want to look at it that way, I mean I have to, look at re-carnation & heaven for the closest example.

I would just like to consider practicing the BUDDHIST philosophy as much as Christianity will allow it...

Thanks again !! :)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Hank777 wrote: »
    Lately though I have realized that I am in search of some spiritual or maybe even practical guide-lines for my day-to-day life...
    Hi Hank

Buddhism can help you greatly here. Buddhists hold the Buddha had the eye of stainless insight. He provided instruction on every aspect of life, be it economic, social, spiritual, etc.

The Buddha taught on three levels: (1) ethics/non-harming; (2) concentration/love/mind training; and (3) insight/wisdom.

A Christian can learn from Buddhism on the first two levels because the respective teachings are fully compatible. But I cannot see how a Christian can practice Buddhism on the highest level.

Insight/wisdom level is all things are void of self, void of belonging to self and merely natural elements. 'God' is a form of 'self' thus incompatible to Buddhism.

I have heard Catholic priests teach more mystically, such as, "all comes from God and returns to God". This kind of teaching eliminates 'self-view'. It eliminates regarding things as belonging to oneself. Alternately, things are regarded as belonging to God.

Please bear in mind the Buddha taught 'not-self'; of things not belonging to oneself; because to regard things as belonging to oneself is the root of suffering.

So, if all things are Nature (Dhamma) or if all things are God, both ways of understanding remove regarding things as being 'self' and 'belonging to self'.

However, to be a real Buddhist, all things are just Nature. From dust to dust rather than from God to God.

Kind regards

:)
    edited December 2009
    I appreciate once again your analogy, however, when you speak of teachings & taking refuge in BUDDHA, it sounds as though it could be considered idolizing ... what is your take on that?
    'Buddha' means 'The Enlightened One'. The Buddha is not a statue but first a human being and foremost a teacher. The Buddha called himself 'The Spiritual Friend' just as Jesus called himself a spiritual friend.
    It is in dependence on me as an admirable friend that beings subject to sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress & despair have gained release from sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress & despair.

When a person has me as an admirable friend, he can be expected to develop & pursue the noble eightfold path.

It is through this line of reasoning that one may know how admirable friendship is the whole of the holy life.

Upaddha Sutta
    I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

John 15:15
    Jesus said to her, "Mary." She turned toward him and cried out in Aramaic, "Rabboni!" (which means Teacher).

John 20:16
    Then the thought occurred to Ven. Pukkusati: "Surely, the Teacher has come to me! Surely, the One Well-gone has come to me! Surely, the Rightly Self-awakened One has come to me!" Getting up from his seat, arranging his upper robe over one shoulder and bowing down with his head at the Blessed One's feet, he said...

Dhatu-vibhanga Sutta

:smilec:
    edited December 2009
    I would suggest the teachings of Buddhadasa and Prayudh Payutto which can be found here: http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/
    The following lecture discusses a Buddhist conception of God.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books6/Buddhadasa_Bhikkhu_ABC_of_Buddhism.pdf

• edited December 2009
    Wow Dhamma Dhatu thanks so much for your posts !! I can see you put in allot of effort, especially with the quotes regarding Jesus.

I will post again soon in this topic, right now I want to take it in... for as it happens I am reading Bhuddhadasa at this very moment :)

Thanks again !! :)
  • edited December 2009
    Greetings!

We would try to answer your noble queries by paraphrasing teachings received by genuine Bodhisattwas. Your questions are few and short, but whose seriousness and deep level deserves our greatest attention to detail and our dedication to answer to the best of our ability. Please read carefully.

ANSWER:
    A "Christian" in the deep level of the meaning of the word is someone who has incarnated the Christ Force. Yeshua the Christ (also known as Jesus Christ) happened to be a very good practicing Jew who welcomed teachings from ancient Egypt initiatic mysteries, deep esoteric Tantric teachings from Moses (and which are taught in secret at advanced levels of Judaism) and even visited Buddhist places such as Tibet. Unfortunately a considerable number of churches only see the "appearance" of Christ as an individual; thus we do understand your confusion.

All realized Boddhisattwas have attained Christhood (that is, they have incarnated the Christ Force within, when duly prepared). Such is the True Meaning of Christmas.

You are not the only Christian who takes a look at Buddhism in a practical way, so as to enhance, support and promote Christian practices and a Christian way of living. Yes, you can be a Christian and a Buddhist at the same time. Buddhist meditations, for instance, can be applied when performing meditation on understanding the root cause of sin, in order then to pray to divinity to extirpate from within the psyche such root and sin no more. Buddhist Dream Yoga practices can enhance your Christian awareness to deeper and more continuous depths, in such a way that you can remain lucid, in an intensive vigil state while at the same time your physical body is resting asleep; this way, thus, you are to become a Christian 24 hours a day, and not like other Christians who happen to knock their awareness out to a black-out while asleep and remember nothing the next morning when waking up after some 7-8 hours of sleep.

So these are just some of the benefits that Buddhism can bring to Christians. There is absolutely no conflict between any form of Buddhism and Christianity.

We recommend you to check out Snow Lion Publications (http://www.snowlionpub.com) and check out what retreats any High Lama could be giving near you. Also, not everything that shines is made out of pure gold; so careful with anyone claiming teaching Dzogchen (for example) when in fact he/she is not teaching true authentic Dzogchen at all. But the Lamas mentioned in Snow Lion publications have gone through a good screening, and therefore are good.

And finally, His Holiness Tenzin Gyatso (the Fourteenth Dalai Lama) once said that Tibetan Buddhism does not seek to make people from other religions get "converted" into Tibetan Buddhism.

Now your 2nd question.

There are different levels of definition of the word Buddha. There is a historical Buddha known as Siddartha Gautama Sakyamuni the Buddha; he was not the only Buddha (awakened one) of his time, he was not the first one, and he is certainly not the last one. Then there is the Intimate Buddha; it is this inner Buddha who the 3 Jewels of Refuge is referring to, and not to the most popular of all historical Buddhas. So when we take refuge in "the Buddha" we are actually referring to that part or spark of the Divine which resides in our heart. It'a a matter of wording; that's all. Buddhists call it "the Buddha" (that is, the Inner Buddha) when referring to the 3 Jewels of Refuge, while Christians can call it "the Spark of God within" and which Jesus Christ our Lord helps us realize. So there is absolutely no conflict with any of the 10 Commandments at all.

The 2nd Jewel of Refuge is the Dharma. By Dharma we are referring to the Holy Teaching that can liberate us from torment and suffering due to sin; the Dharma can help us identify consciously (through deep analytical meditation) the root causes of sin, and to eventually disintegrate to cosmic dust (through Divine intervention, of course) such root cause of sin. The "Dharma" is just the name given by Buddhists; there is Jewish Dharma, there is Christian Dharma, there is Muslim Dharma, ...and so forth.

And finally, the 3rd Jewel of Refuge: the Sangha. The Sangha refers to all those enlightened beings who altogether have renounced to the bliss of the inner state of realization and true freedom (known as Nirvana) in order to dwell amongst us in this valley of tears in order to give us a helping hand and attain complete intimate self-realization of the Spiritual spark of the Lord in our hearts. But Sangha is just the Buddhist term for this; there is the Jewish Sangha (major and lesser prophets), there is Christian Sangha (some -- not all -- saints), there is Muslim Sangha (Muhammad the Prophet, Al Hallah and other Sufi saints).

So to the Christian view, taking refuge in the 3 Jewels (as Buddhists call this) can be translated to taking refuge in: the spark of God within the heart which needs to be self-realized and become free from sin and the torments caused by sin, that is, the Buddha; the holy Christian teaching, all its gospels and Old Testament -- and even some Gnostic Gospels if you are careful enough to hand-pick and select such as the Gospel of Judas and the Gospel of Thomas), that is, the Dharma; and the group of very dedicated saints and prophets who have been giving us a helping hand for centuries, that is, the Sangha.

Now about all those Buddha statues and painted figures. There is this ancient art which portrayed different functions, qualities, powers and virtues of the One-and-Only One God in different anthropomorphic appearances. Buddhists -- in particular Tibetan Buddhists -- have done this a lot, and all those diverse appearances of Deities are nothing but different aspects, qualities and functions of the One-and-Only One God. Interesting, isn't it? There is no idolatry whatsoever, however as stated earlier, not everything that shines is made out of pure gold, and some people have gone to some extremes portraying a very fat Buddha with long ears where you could get some money from the sky if you rub its tummy; but such practice is not Buddhism at all.

It is hoped that your questions are answered. Please feel welcome to send questions to: Ngawang.Jinpa.Zangpo@gmail.com.

In the Dharma,

Ngawang JInga Zanpo
  • edited December 2009
    Hi there NJZ,

I'm totally confused by your meaning here:
    Now about all those Buddha statues and painted figures. There is this ancient art which portrayed different functions, qualities, powers and virtues of the One-and-Only One God in different anthropomorphic appearances. Buddhists -- in particular Tibetan Buddhists -- have done this a lot, and all those diverse appearances of Deities are nothing but different aspects, qualities and functions of the One-and-Only One God. Interesting, isn't it?
    :confused:

Buddhists don't believe in "the One-and-Only One God." ....do they? :eek:

....unless of course you mean in the sense outlined in the essay by Bhikkhu Buddhadasa quoted by Dhamma Dhatau #7 ?

Kind regards,

Dazzle
  • edited December 2009
    Greetings!

We would try to answer your noble queries by paraphrasing teachings received by genuine Bodhisattwas. Your questions are few and short, but whose seriousness and deep level deserves our greatest attention to detail and our dedication to answer to the best of our ability. Please read carefully.

ANSWER:
    A "Christian" in the deep level of the meaning of the word is someone who has incarnated the Christ Force. Yeshua the Christ (also known as Jesus Christ) happened to be a very good practicing Jew who welcomed teachings from ancient Egypt initiatic mysteries, deep esoteric Tantric teachings from Moses (and which are taught in secret at advanced levels of Judaism) and even visited Buddhist places such as Tibet. Unfortunately a considerable number of churches only see the "appearance" of Christ as an individual; thus we do understand your confusion.

All realized Boddhisattwas have attained Christhood (that is, they have incarnated the Christ Force within, when duly prepared). Such is the True Meaning of Christmas.

You are not the only Christian who takes a look at Buddhism in a practical way, so as to enhance, support and promote Christian practices and a Christian way of living. Yes, you can be a Christian and a Buddhist at the same time. Buddhist meditations, for instance, can be applied when performing meditation on understanding the root cause of sin, in order then to pray to divinity to extirpate from within the psyche such root and sin no more. Buddhist Dream Yoga practices can enhance your Christian awareness to deeper and more continuous depths, in such a way that you can remain lucid, in an intensive vigil state while at the same time your physical body is resting asleep; this way, thus, you are to become a Christian 24 hours a day, and not like other Christians who happen to knock their awareness out to a black-out while asleep and remember nothing the next morning when waking up after some 7-8 hours of sleep.

So these are just some of the benefits that Buddhism can bring to Christians. There is absolutely no conflict between any form of Buddhism and Christianity.

We recommend you to check out Snow Lion Publications (http://www.snowlionpub.com) and check out what retreats any High Lama could be giving near you. Also, not everything that shines is made out of pure gold; so careful with anyone claiming teaching Dzogchen (for example) when in fact he/she is not teaching true authentic Dzogchen at all. But the Lamas mentioned in Snow Lion publications have gone through a good screening, and therefore are good.

And finally, His Holiness Tenzin Gyatso (the Fourteenth Dalai Lama) once said that Tibetan Buddhism does not seek to make people from other religions get "converted" into Tibetan Buddhism.

Now your 2nd question.

There are different levels of definition of the word Buddha. There is a historical Buddha known as Siddartha Gautama Sakyamuni the Buddha; he was not the only Buddha (awakened one) of his time, he was not the first one, and he is certainly not the last one. Then there is the Intimate Buddha; it is this inner Buddha who the 3 Jewels of Refuge is referring to, and not to the most popular of all historical Buddhas. So when we take refuge in "the Buddha" we are actually referring to that part or spark of the Divine which resides in our heart. It'a a matter of wording; that's all. Buddhists call it "the Buddha" (that is, the Inner Buddha) when referring to the 3 Jewels of Refuge, while Christians can call it "the Spark of God within" and which Jesus Christ our Lord helps us realize. So there is absolutely no conflict with any of the 10 Commandments at all.

The 2nd Jewel of Refuge is the Dharma. By Dharma we are referring to the Holy Teaching that can liberate us from torment and suffering due to sin; the Dharma can help us identify consciously (through deep analytical meditation) the root causes of sin, and to eventually disintegrate to cosmic dust (through Divine intervention, of course) such root cause of sin. The "Dharma" is just the name given by Buddhists; there is Jewish Dharma, there is Christian Dharma, there is Muslim Dharma, ...and so forth.

And finally, the 3rd Jewel of Refuge: the Sangha. The Sangha refers to all those enlightened beings who altogether have renounced to the bliss of the inner state of realization and true freedom (known as Nirvana) in order to dwell amongst us in this valley of tears in order to give us a helping hand and attain complete intimate self-realization of the Spiritual spark of the Lord in our hearts. But Sangha is just the Buddhist term for this; there is the Jewish Sangha (major and lesser prophets), there is Christian Sangha (some -- not all -- saints), there is Muslim Sangha (Muhammad the Prophet, Al Hallah and other Sufi saints).

So to the Christian view, taking refuge in the 3 Jewels (as Buddhists call this) can be translated to taking refuge in: the spark of God within the heart which needs to be self-realized and become free from sin and the torments caused by sin, that is, the Buddha; the holy Christian teaching, all its gospels and Old Testament -- and even some Gnostic Gospels if you are careful enough to hand-pick and select such as the Gospel of Judas and the Gospel of Thomas), that is, the Dharma; and the group of very dedicated saints and prophets who have been giving us a helping hand for centuries, that is, the Sangha.

Now about all those Buddha statues and painted figures. There is this ancient art which portrayed different functions, qualities, powers and virtues of the One-and-Only One God in different anthropomorphic appearances. Buddhists -- in particular Tibetan Buddhists -- have done this a lot, and all those diverse appearances of Deities are nothing but different aspects, qualities and functions of the One-and-Only One God. Interesting, isn't it? There is no idolatry whatsoever, however as stated earlier, not everything that shines is made out of pure gold, and some people have gone to some extremes portraying a very fat Buddha with long ears where you could get some money from the sky if you rub its tummy; but such practice is not Buddhism at all.

It is hoped that your questions are answered. Please feel welcome to send questions to: Ngawang.Jinpa.Zangpo@gmail.com.

In the Dharma,

Ngawang JInga Zanpo
    Hi Ngawang!

Thanks ever so much for you "indepth-explanation" of Buddhism & Christianity. Let me also say I am impressed with your vast knowledge in both. I read it carefully, and really enjoyed it.

Not surprisingly I find both great help & relief in your explanations. Most importantly though I find comfort in practicing the Buddhist philosophy knowing all this. I will have a closer look at your link, thanks.

I may be well wrong, but I find it easier to find practical guide-line in the Buddhist philosophy, probably because I think it requires a great (expert almost) effort to understand and analyse the Bible. With both Christianity & Buddhism though, interpretation is always where the confusion or disagreements start. I hope to avoid it as much as possible therefore, and will try my best to find interesting reading ( I have already started a new topic on that), but maybe you can make some reading suggestions for me, as I start out in making the Buddhist philosophy my own. Thanks!
    The following lecture discusses a Buddhist conception of God.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Bo...f_Buddhism.pdf
    Dhamma Dhatu, thanks again, really appreciated your parallel quotes! :)

Thanks all & as always Best of Luck !! :)
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Hello people,

In search of some "en-lightening" advice, I come to you with a few questions that are currently really keeping me busy... hope you can help me out.

I am a Catholic Christian, although I must right away admit; not an active church goer or bible reader etc., as much as trying to live as an honest person with Christian beliefs.

Lately though I have realized that I am in search of some spiritual or maybe even practical guide-lines for my day-to-day life, and recently I have come to realize I can relate to many aspects of the BUDDHIST philosophy.

I would very much like to hear from you, your views on this situation, especially keeping in mind that I consider God my spiritual leader, but find the BUDDHIST ways to be very pure and seemingly compatible with Christianity.

Hello dear Hank

There are many people who come from the same background as you.

I do not have detailed answers to your questions at this stage, but suggest a book for you.

It is called Living Buddha, Living Christ by a Zen Master called Venerable Thich Nhat Hanh.

Perhaps it can help put some questions at ease in your mind, or perhaps it can be a start to your journey of inquiries.

Whatever the case, I wish you well and thankyou for your inquiring and open mind.

Gassho,

Abu
  • edited December 2009
    EXCELLENT Gassho, book noted !! :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Hank,

Good to meet you and may you enjoy all the blessings of the Incarnation.

As a Buddhist Christian (or Christian Buddhist), I have written here and elsewhere about the way in which each enriches the other for me. Others have done so better than I and I would recommend that you look at Thomas Merton's Asian diaries and his conversation with Thich Nhat Hanh. Dan Berrigan and TNH also published their conversations. There are many others, too.

If you are interested in the 'depth' subjects, John Cobb, Jr., edited a wonderful collection of essays based on writings by Masao Abe, entitled The Emptying God.

Readings of both the canonical and deutero-canonical Gospels (particularly Mark and Thomas) will reveal the extent to which Jesus urged a particular notion of 'non-self' also.
  • edited December 2009
    I believe the original poster's problem is not going to be with Buddhism but rather with Christianity. While Buddhism strikes me as being particularly accomodating to other beliefs, Christianity has historically been rather unfriendly towards efforts of religious syncretism. Thus it would be fine for a Buddhist to adopt elements of Christianity, but problematic by most definitions of Christianity to return the favor.
  • edited December 2009
    Dear Dazzle,

Thanks for bringing up your doubts. Sorry for confusing you.

"We"... Our first mentor in Buddhism recommended -- he just recommended and didn't actually tell us it's compulsory -- to use the term "we" when we are in need of providing someone a immediate answer as simple as possible that is based on teachings of Bodhisattwas. So "we" are Ngawang Jinpa Zangpo and the Boddhisattwas whose teachings were respectfully -- but carefully -- paraphrased in order to provide an answer. This avoids "mystic pride" from developing. This also helps avoiding any attachment to selfish Ego. The writing style of using "we" is not new, though; others have used it in their esoteric writings.

You are right about Buddhists with regards to not believing in the One-and-Only One God; never in the writing there is even the slightest hint about believing in anything. God, in Buddhist terms, is more like a direct experience of the Absolute Truth. "Seek the Truth, and it shall set you free..."; free from suffering, free from delusion, free from the very root cause of sin and its dreadful consequences.

In Buddhism there are two main types of meditation: analytical meditation; and meditation for experiencing Illuminating Emptiness. Illuminating Emptiness is the Absolute Truth, that Buddhist experience of what others could call God.

Now, such Absolute Truth has expressed itself in a wide variety of ways and forms of manifestation, divine qualities, divine virtues, and so forth... It's much like watching the mercury level of a thermometer rising; we don't see molecules moving as more kinetic energy is received through heat, nor we could even see the heat energy itself as it truly is; we can only see the manifestation. So Buddhists, particularly those who are not completely self-realized yet, happen to experience the Samadhi or Maha Samadhi, Illuminating Emptiness, the Absolute Truth, God, and then once back here in this valley of tears, we find only manifestations that can be beautifully and respectfully expressed through this ancient form of art of Deity forms.

"And God created man at His own Image, at His Image He created man, male and female He created them..." (From the Book of Genesis)

The above quote implies that God is both, Male and Female; thus there are Male and Female Deities...

It could be quite lengthy into going on into deeper explanations where only our High Lama could really provide you some insight, Dazzle, but it's sure hoped here that your doubts are cleared.

Have a joyous holidays season!

In the Dharma,

Ngawang Jinpa Zangpo
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Hank,

Good to meet you and may you enjoy all the blessings of the Incarnation.

As a Buddhist Christian (or Christian Buddhist), I have written here and elsewhere about the way in which each enriches the other for me. Others have done so better than I and I would recommend that you look at Thomas Merton's Asian diaries and his conversation with Thich Nhat Hanh. Dan Berrigan and TNH also published their conversations. There are many others, too.

If you are interested in the 'depth' subjects, John Cobb, Jr., edited a wonderful collection of essays based on writings by Masao Abe, entitled The Emptying God.

Readings of both the canonical and deutero-canonical Gospels (particularly Mark and Thomas) will reveal the extent to which Jesus urged a particular notion of 'non-self' also.

While not in the same league as Merton, I thought Cooper's God Is a Verb was good. I know it doesn't have much to do with Christianity directly, but I got a lot out of it.
  • edited December 2009
    Well, this post cements everything for me...that there isn't a conflict but tell that to my Catholic grandmother when I skip mass tomorrow and go to a Buddhist ceremony! She was already less than pleased when I attended a Unitarian Universalist service for Christmas eve. This will test my Buddhist compassion as I deal with her about this!
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Hello people,

I do have to ask you what is the point in clinging to your christian identity when you dont regularly go to church or read the bible ?
    If being a christian is that important to you why is it that you are unable to put some effort in to it ?
  • edited December 2009
    Hi N_ J_ Z,

Thank you for your response.

As you will see, I deleted my question about the use of 'we' before you replied. It actually reminded me of the royal "we" used by the UK Queen, and by former kings and queens !

Many thanks for clarifying your meaning about the God issue.

I'm already a long-term offline Tibetan Buddhist practitioner -and I am also investigating the wonderful Theravada Thai Forest Tradition.

All the best for 2010 !:)

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • edited December 2009
    I believe the original poster's problem is not going to be with Buddhism but rather with Christianity. While Buddhism strikes me as being particularly accomodating to other beliefs, Christianity has historically been rather unfriendly towards efforts of religious syncretism. Thus it would be fine for a Buddhist to adopt elements of Christianity, but problematic by most definitions of Christianity to return the favor.

I agree this is mroe likely where issues are going to occur such as will Hank be able to take communion if he is practicing Buddhism also. There are soem important doctrinal issues for Catholicism.

Hank I am training to be a Religious Studies teacher and obviously being here I'm Buddhist. I have to teach about the world religions which means trying to find ways ot understand them all. Sharing with other people of other faaiths has been a really profound thing for me. It may be difficult for you at times trying to follow Buddhism while still being a Catholic but I think it is worth it.

One of the things I have discovered is that a person's religion in itself is not important but how they approach it. For example a very conservative catholic will have more in common with other conservative people from different faiths than a liberal catholic.

Christianity is like Buddhism there are many different ways of interpreting and practicing it. I have been working in a Catholic school and being Buddhist was very much welcomed there and I am sure you will be able to find Catholics who are very welcoming also to you.

Follow what feels right for you and you won't go wrong.
  • edited December 2009
    In my opinion all people are seeking the same thing. Some call it God, others call it Allah, some refer to it as Nirvana, and others Advaita. You can give it different names, but it's the same thing. Names are only words.

Every religion tries its best to teach you the way to find truth and peace the best way they know how. Of coarse overtime there are misunderstandings. I believe the problem is that religions teach you how their path to truth, but truth is a pathless land. The path is different for everyone.

You must be your own teacher.
  • edited December 2009
    So very CORRECT sad clown, indeed Buddhism is the most accommodating of all philosophies, but in fact as I progress in this exploration I find that the two can be combined imho. For as Marmalade said:
    In my opinion all people are seeking the same thing. Some call it God, others call it Allah, some refer to it as Nirvana, and others Advaita. You can give it different names, but it's the same thing. Names are only words.
    So true Marmalade, you are pretty wise for a 19 year old ! :) ... you too should consider reading the article I mention below, if this interest u!
    I do have to ask you what is the point in clinging to your christian identity when you don't regularly go to church or read the bible ?
    If being a christian is that important to you why is it that you are unable to put some effort in to it ?
    Hi Caz Namyaw, I can see how you would think this, so let me explain. I have gone to church, though admittedly not much, but have never felt I fitted in somehow. Now I have been told it's not a requirement to be Christian, as I do live by the Christian commandments and very much believe in god. I find that in some ways Buddhism offers me a practical day2day structure, that in fact will lead to the very same goals that Christians strive for.

As Marmalade said, all religions in essence strive for the same: which is the Truth / Dhamma.

I just so happen to be reading "NO RELIGION" by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu, and it offers great insight to this discussion.

Thanks so much for your insights and angles, much appreciated !! :)
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited December 2009
    The Buddha too was seeking for the Ultimate and found it.
    In the same way I saw an ancient path, an ancient road, traveled by the Rightly Self-awakened Ones of former times. And what is that ancient path...? Just this noble eightfold path: right view, right aspiration, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration....I followed that path. Following it, I came to direct knowledge of aging and death, direct knowledge of the origination of aging and death, direct knowledge of the cessation of aging and death, direct knowledge of the path leading to the cessation of aging and death. I followed that path. Following it, I came to direct knowledge of birth...becoming...clinging... craving...feeling...contact...the six sense media...name-and-form... consciousness, direct knowledge of the origination of consciousness, direct knowledge of the cessation of consciousness, direct knowledge of the path leading to the cessation of consciousness. I followed that path.

'In any doctrine and discipline where the noble eightfold path is not found, no contemplative of the first...second...third...fourth order [stream-winner, once-returner, non-returner, or Arahant] is found. But in any doctrine and discipline where the noble eightfold path is found, contemplatives of the first...second...third...fourth order are found. The noble eightfold path is found in this doctrine and discipline, and right here there are contemplatives of the first...second...third...fourth order.And if the monks dwell rightly, this world will not be empty of Arahants."

http://www.buddhanet.net/wings4ts.htm
    edited December 2009
    Marmalade wrote: »

I believe the problem is that religions teach you how their path to truth, but truth is a pathless land. The path is different for everyone.

Personally, I disagree with everything you have said above, especially your last underlined sentence.

To me, what you have stated is blind faith, superstition & dogmatic.

edited December 2009
    I just so happen to be reading "NO RELIGION" by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu.
    Personally, I find this book subjective. Spacing out in nothingness does not mean there are no religions. Buddhadasa is just preaching 'white darkness', imo.

• edited January 2010
    The Buddha taught on three levels: (1) ethics/non-harming; (2) concentration/love/mind training; and (3) insight/wisdom.

Hi Hank,

I would just like to elaborate on each of the three levels in Dhamma Dhatu's excellent post.

(1) ethics/non-harming: When I was studying the Buddha's teachings on ethics, I found that they were far better and more completely defined than in Christianity so in that way they can be used to enhance the Christian path. The Buddhist suttas look at the three different forms of "output" in the experience of existence: thoughts, words and actions. They then define wholesome thoughts words and actions and unwholesome thoughts words and actions. Then they show how to eliminate unwholesome thoughts, words and actions and how to increase wholesome thoughts, words and actions. This is clearly completely compatible with Christianity and in going beyond it, helps to enhance it dramatically.

(2) concentration/love/mind training; There are many different meditation techniques taught by the Buddha but some in particular are very powerful for a Christian. There are 4 meditations called the Brahmaviharas or "the divine abidings". These meditations can raise one to the level of heavenly beings but developing a heart of infinite loving-kindness (metta), infinite compassion (karuna), infinite altruistic joy (mudita) and infinite equanimity (upekkha). I recommend these particularly to Christians because they are the prescription for rebirth in the heavenly realms of existence. Develop metta for example to its maximum potential and not only will you attain rebirth in the heavenly realms but it is said that heavenly beings with seek out your company while you are here on earth. Very powerful stuff indeed.

(3) insight/wisdom; This is where there will be conflicts with Christianity. For example, one of the 3 marks of all existence is impermanence. That is, all things are impermanent - what arises will one day cease. All beings that exist will one day die. This is the nature of existence and it is as true for humans as for all beings - either heavenly or hell beings. This is of course in conflict with the Christian teachings of an everlasting god and and everlasting afterlife.

Anyway, you can also download many pdf books on Buddhism from buddhanet.net if you are interested in learning more about Buddhism.

Enjoy your Christian path,

Vangelis
    edited January 2010
    Vangelis wrote: »
    ..........................(3) insight/wisdom; This is where there will be conflicts with Christianity. For example, one of the 3 marks of all existence is impermanence. That is, all things are impermanent - what arises will one day cease. All beings that exist will one day die. This is the nature of existence and it is as true for humans as for all beings - either heavenly or hell beings. This is of course in conflict with the Christian teachings of an everlasting god and and everlasting afterlife.

Anyway, you can also download many pdf books on Buddhism from buddhanet.net if you are interested in learning more about Buddhism.

Enjoy your Christian path,

Vangelis

Dear Vangelis,

Happy 2010.

Thank you for the analysis. I agree, up to this point. In my own understanding (which the Reformers would tell me was Spirit-inspired - but who knows?) there is no ultimate contradiction here either.

The notion that Christ taught 'permanence' in any comprehensible sense does not square with the texts ("heaven and earth shall pass away"), nor with the reported experience of Christian mystics. I think there can be little doubt, when one has met, either in the flesh or in their writings, that some Christians have 'reached a place' which can be experienced as similar to those puzzling words of the Heart Sutra.

Time and again, both in the Synoptic Gospels and in Thomas, Jesus tells his disciples that 'self' is a delusion.

It is argued, of course, that the Father/Mother God is 'eternal', being without beginning but where does this grasping at an inexpressible concept differ from the Buddhist notion that, whilst all is impermanent, it also has no beginning?

There are some things, as William Carlos Williams so sagely remarked, which can only be said in a poem.

The teachings of the Buddha and of Buddhism have greatly added to my enjoyment of the Christian path.

• edited January 2010
    Hi Simon,

A happy 2010 to you too. You have given me much to think about for which I must thank you. I think it is more the "organised" christian religion which holds steadfastly to the concepts of a permanent god/heaven/hell that would clash with Buddhist wisdom but a more open minded christian, possibly a gnostic christian, would see less conflicting ideas in Buddhism.

Thank-you for your informed post.

Metta,

Vangelis
  • edited January 2010
    Hank, if you look for them you can probably find the elements of Buddhism you like within your own tradition. Check out the writing's of John Main, or older mystical works like St John of the Cross et al.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from looking into Buddhism but if you are fortunate enough to have a religious tradition to draw from you may avoid a great deal of confusion by further expoloring what you know.
  • edited January 2010
    I know I'll get in trouble for saying this, but in the book of thomas (not the gospel of thomas, which is a gnostic text), a scripture older than those in the gospels in the new testament (written like at 300 AD) in which there are many parallels to sayings in the new testament, is used by some scholars to find out more about the historical jesus.

In it Jesus says,
    Whoever drinks from my mouth will become like me; I myself shall become that person, and the hidden things will be revealed to him
    Imo, its not whether or not your betraying Christ by looking into Buddhism, but whether or not you're betraying Christ by following "christianity".
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010

Every religion tries its best to teach you the way to find truth and peace the best way they know how. Of coarse overtime there are misunderstandings. I believe the problem is that religions teach you how their path to truth, but truth is a pathless land. The path is different for everyone.

The equating of Nirvana or "Emptiness" with God, The One, "I", and so forth is the most common way one can misrepresent Buddhism. There is a fundamental absence of something ultimate to hold onto. Resting into this basic groundlessness can be one way of describing the practice. Faith in this context is letting go without anything to hold onto...anything. letting go of somethingness, letting go of nothingness. It takes alot of work it seems to burn off our subtle need to hold on.
    edited January 2010
    So very CORRECT sad clown, indeed Buddhism is the most accommodating of all philosophies, but in fact as I progress in this exploration I find that the two can be combined imho. For as Marmalade said:

So true Marmalade, you are pretty wise for a 19 year old ! :) ... you too should consider reading the article I mention below, if this interest u!

Hi Caz Namyaw, I can see how you would think this, so let me explain. I have gone to church, though admittedly not much, but have never felt I fitted in somehow. Now I have been told it's not a requirement to be Christian, as I do live by the Christian commandments and very much believe in god. I find that in some ways Buddhism offers me a practical day2day structure, that in fact will lead to the very same goals that Christians strive for.

As Marmalade said, all religions in essence strive for the same: which is the Truth / Dhamma.

I just so happen to be reading "NO RELIGION" by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu, and it offers great insight to this discussion.

Thanks so much for your insights and angles, much appreciated !! :)

Ah i see, well personally i beleive there are many beings in these universes gods included, you have to be carefull though i beleive the reason why a view of god isnt promoted is because there is a danger of a laziness of the saviour seeker developing, it is better just to be open minded and rather then seeking an external saviour seek to help yourself. :o
  • edited January 2010
    The equating of Nirvana or "Emptiness" with God, The One, "I", and so forth is the most common way one can misrepresent Buddhism. There is a fundamental absence of something ultimate to hold onto. Resting into this basic groundlessness can be one way of describing the practice. Faith in this context is letting go without anything to hold onto...anything. letting go of somethingness, letting go of nothingness. It takes alot of work it seems to burn off our subtle need to hold on.
    meh after looking at it and comparing it to hinduism, both seem to use different language to describe something very similar. The Buddha said he would only use what was observable, and things like a brahman probably couldn't be observed.

Though I think the main point of buddhism was there may or may not be a Brahman, the point is that prayer and faith in one won't get you to nibbana. Hinduism stripped from an Ishvara isn't very different from the previously stated.
    edited January 2010

For a good, serious discussion on kenosis and Sunyatta, I would refer you to the collection of essays commenting on a wonderful piece by Masao Abe:
    The Emptying God
  • edited January 2010
    meh after looking at it and comparing it to hinduism, both seem to use different language to describe something very similar. The Buddha said he would only use what was observable, and things like a brahman probably couldn't be observed.

Well, if you have read the Pali suttas, you would see that the Buddha not only observed Brahma but travelled into his plane of existence to teach him about the delusions he has. Brahma's main delusion is that he is an everlasting being and the Buddha would explain to him that this is not the case. As we know, the delusion of seeing the permanent in the impermanent is contradictory to the Right View of the Noble Eightfold Path and therefore what keeps beings in samsara. Clearly Brahma is therefore not compatible with Buddhism and neither is the Hindu concept of reunification with Brahma the same as the Buddhist ultimate goal.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Buddha taught that a conditional impermanent self was unsatisfactory... That does not imply that a self which is non-conditional, permanent, and satisfactory does not exist. Such a self would be beyond thought as it is nonconditional.

On the other hand in my own experience I am not sure what the utility of believing in a self beyond thought is. I don't know how that would help someone. At the least one could logically say that it wasn't a wrong thought.
  • edited January 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Buddha taught that a conditional impermanent self was unsatisfactory... That does not imply that a self which is non-conditional, permanent, and satisfactory does not exist. Such a self would be beyond thought as it is nonconditional.
    Dhp 277 Sabe sankhara anicca.
    Dhp 278 Sabe sankhara dukkha.
    Dhp 279 Sabe dhamma anatta.

Dhp 277 All conditioned things are impermanent.
    Dhp 278 All conditioned things are suffering.
    Dhp 279 All things are not-self.

All things are not-self. There is nothing, not even nibanna, that is a self. If there was something, anything in this experience of existence that is permanent then the noble path of perfection would not exist as it would not be required.
    On the other hand in my own experience I am not sure what the utility of believing in a self beyond thought is. I don't know how that would help someone. At the least one could logically say that it wasn't a wrong thought.

That's because there is no self.
  • edited January 2010
    Well, if you have read the Pali suttas, you would see that the Buddha not only observed Brahma but travelled into his plane of existence to teach him about the delusions he has. Brahma's main delusion is that he is an everlasting being and the Buddha would explain to him that this is not the case. As we know, the delusion of seeing the permanent in the impermanent is contradictory to the Right View of the Noble Eightfold Path and therefore what keeps beings in samsara. Clearly Brahma is therefore not compatible with Buddhism and neither is the Hindu concept of reunification with Brahma the same as the Buddhist ultimate goal.
    What is the Buddhist ultimate goal then O.o

I never quite understood, from what I hear, it equates to annihilation, but that doesn't seem all too desirable... I know nibbana is the goal, but what IS it?
  • edited January 2010
    Personally, I disagree with everything you have said above, especially your last underlined sentence.

To me, what you have stated is blind faith, superstition & dogmatic.

Quite the opposite, actually. What I'm suggesting is that you don't take anyone's word on anything. I believe true understanding can only come from personal experience. If I tell you that putting your hand on a hot stove will hurt you, you probably won't do it, but you will never know for sure if it would hurt you or not until you try it.

So go ahead, touch the stove. That's what I mean by being your own teacher.

Trying to follow the path of another is simply trying to fulfill your expectations of what that person's path will bring.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Quite the opposite, actually. What I'm suggesting is that you don't take anyone's word on anything. I believe true understanding can only come from personal experience. If I tell you that putting your hand on a hot stove will hurt you, you probably won't do it, but you will never know for sure if it would hurt you or not until you try it.

So go ahead, touch the stove. That's what I mean by being your own teacher.

Trying to follow the path of another is simply trying to fulfill your expectations of what that person's path will bring.
    I get what you're saying and agree but it also needs to be understood that all Buddhists are 'trying to follow the path of another'. Right?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    If nirvana is conditioned then it is impermanent and not a goal worthy to pursue..

Try reading The Buddha Within... Which has references, quotes, and footnotes to relevant buddhist sutras.

thank you

PS hint the dhammapada refers to a self. If there is no self then whom identifies that there is no self? Who identifies that there is the faculty of discrimination? And is THAT self empty of self? Is there an infinite regression of empty selves?

I don't wish to argue with you however I accept you as a rangtongpa just read the buddha within if you are interested in others beliefs.

peas and beans
  • edited January 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    If nirvana is conditioned then it is impermanent and not a goal worthy to pursue..
    Nibbana is the unconditioned. Nowhere did I say otherwise.
    Try reading The Buddha Within... Which has references, quotes, and footnotes to relevant buddhist sutras.
    Not sure why I would need to read this when I can read the suttas directly.
    thank you

PS hint the dhammapada refers to a self. If there is no self then whom identifies that there is no self? Who identifies that there is the faculty of discrimination? And is THAT self empty of self? Is there an infinite regression of empty selves?
    Can you please provide the reference here? I am not sure if you are quoting the Dhammapada itself.
    I don't wish to argue with you however I accept you as a rangtongpa just read the buddha within if you are interested in others beliefs.

peas and beans

Not sure what this rangtongpa thing is. I even googled it and am still confused. Please provide more info. I'm actually a Theravadin Buddhist so I post based on that point of view. I don't think, however, that Tibetan or other Buddhist types would differ in the basic Buddhist concepts.
  • edited January 2010
    What is the Buddhist ultimate goal then O.o

I never quite understood, from what I hear, it equates to annihilation, but that doesn't seem all too desirable... I know nibbana is the goal, but what IS it?

Hi the uprising. This is a difficult topic to discuss because even the Buddha who discovered it and often abided in nothingness could not describe it in words. Only experiencing it can describe it. However, he did use such adjectives as cessation, the unborn, the uncreated. Here is a brief description: http://www.buddhanet.net/nutshell10.htm

Note that it is NOT annihilation or mere nothingness. It's impossible to actually adequately describe it in words. Sorry I can't help any more.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Vangelis

I am not a good buddhist I don't wish to debate I fail

Be well...

Read the Buddha Within for an interesting read which will refer to Mahayana sutras...
  • edited January 2010
    Hank,
    Its an interesting question you ask and one i can relate to in many ways. I converted from christianity ( i was raised in the faith ) to judaism to hinduism.

when i first started going to a hindu temple, i did so because i was drawn to the place and the teachings almost beyond my control. I felt an instant connection and understanding and a sense of belonging - but i also felt and wanted to remain very jewish.

For many months i tried to justify and define my beliefs. I was adamant that i could be both a hindu and a jew and i grasped at any sense of compatability and sameness between the two faiths.

I think maybe its the same for you. From what ive read you are looking for reasons , explanations and justifications as to how you can remain both a hindu and a christian without conflict. To me it seems you are superimposing christian ideas and understanding onto Buddhist ones.

Thats not neccisarily a bad thing - its always good to see things from a differant point of view - but in this scenario - i dont think its beneficial - because in your search to justify how you can be both things - you risk missing important nuances, meanings and lessons from both paths.

Buddhism differs significantly from Hinduism in that - for the main - it doesnt have the sense of god that christianity and hinduism do. Its more practical , steps and thinking , a way of seeing the world - without the religious dogma that on the surface can seem to be the cause of the conflict you maybe feeling.

There are many things similar between the teachings of buddha and jesus, but there are also enourmous differances. The two teachers appeared at very differant times, in differant circumstances, and in very differant parts of the world and this has an effect on the teachings.

For instance - in india where buddhism and hinduism originated, there are lush forests, and a wealth of fruit and vegetables to eat- so being vegetarian is easy - and woulnt mean starvation or poor health for many people.

But Israel is a very differant landscape. Its harder to farm, there is less natural vegetation and there is also desert where nothing grows- so being vegetarian there - would mean death for many people ... which is why neither jesus - nor any other jewish teachers befor him taught it -

do you see what im getting at???

You are dealing with two very differant belief systems that are very unique in their teachings and view of the world...

There is much in buddhism that is physcology as much as anything - and there are certainly things you can take from that. And as others have already said - there is no issue with you practiising christianity from a buddhist point of view.

But you have already said you are a christian - and that is a faith - which - even at its most liberal end - believes it is the only faith to god - that all other paths and faiths are invalid .. jesus is the only way...

and there is much in buddhsim that contradicts christianities teachings as well.

I am now at a point where i realise that i cannot be both a practising jew and practising hindu. The two are just too far apart from each other.

I follow and practise the teachings of Buddha because it compliments my Hindu faith. But im now in the final stages of abandoning Judaism ... Judaism - even though it recognises the validity of other faiths is just in too much contradiction to Hinduism and im realising now that perhaps i clung to judiasm for so long for cultural reasons more than religious ones...

i will always remain - culturally jewish. But im now 100% Hindu with a good helping of Buddhism on the side.

of course every one is differant - and i definatly think you should continue to explore buddhism .But you also need to be real about how your faith sees things...

for instance -how would your church react if they knew you were following the teachings of buddha ? would they still view you as christian ???

you know your faith and your community - and while there is nothing stopping you believing as you choose - sometimes you have to understand that there are rules that cannot be broken...

in judaism - to follow anyone other than god is to be outside of judaism . In judaism god never has a face - so according to the rules of that religion - i ceased being a jew the second i walked into that hindu temple and bowed to the statue - and offered my obeisances to it as the face of god...

and no matter how i feel, or believe or what verbal gymnastics i do - that is the fact of judaism ... and although personally im only just letting go - had anyone from my synagogue known of my involvement in hinduism - i would have been expelled from my community more than a year ago...

i hope all that makes sense ??? sorry for such a long post
    edited January 2010
    We live here and now so practise here and now.
  • edited January 2010
    Hi the uprising. This is a difficult topic to discuss because even the Buddha who discovered it and often abided in nothingness could not describe it in words. Only experiencing it can describe it. However, he did use such adjectives as cessation, the unborn, the uncreated. Here is a brief description: http://www.buddhanet.net/nutshell10.htm

Note that it is NOT annihilation or mere nothingness. It's impossible to actually adequately describe it in words. Sorry I can't help any more.
    I was frustrated w/ not being able to find the definition of nibbana, and already stumbled upon that :P. I don't know, in it, it says nibbana is eternal, desirable, happy, and unconditioned. That's like the traits of brahman, maybe when buddha disregarded "brahma" he was disregarding a "being", or deva, since clearly this nibbana is eternal, and thus not EVERYTHING is impermanent; and maybe there is "brahman" but it doesn't think or have a will like how an ishvara (maybe what the buddha really casted aside) does.

Interesting as he equates it to the position of an electron, as it fits w/ my whole rough theory w/ what the universe/ultimate/nibbana/brahma is, stemmed on by quantum theory. Quantum theory states that the location of the contents of an atom CHANGE when we LOOK at them differently, which brings up the whole question of consciousness, as that is what decided the method of looking. When we aren't looking at the atom, it exists merely as a wave, as all possible locations of the contents.

Extrapolate this onto the whole universe, and the universe EXISTS; it all exists, every possible scenario, every possible conformation of sub particles exists. It only has a LOCATION in x, y, z, and time because WE are looking at it. When we aren't, the universe exists as infinity, brahma.

Does that fit into any idea of nibbana? O.o
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Nibbana is a personal experience of total peace. Identification with a "Brahma" or any other self-concept creates struggle which obscures that peace. Those who've obtained some kind of "Brahma" are typically stuck in some kind of god-realm samsara.
  • edited January 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    We live here and now so practise here and now.

Sage advice.
  • edited January 2010
    Hi theprising,

I can't get into a discussion of nibbana because words to describe it are meaningless. The uncreated cannot be pointed to, it cannot be defined as anything existing in this samsara. So I have no way of understanding or describing it. The Buddha, whilst he experienced it, could not explain it adequately in words. It would be arrogant and complete folly for me to go where even the Buddha could not. Suffice to say that Brahma, god, christ, etc are conditioned beings, not nibbana.

So please, in this matter take caz namyaw's sage advice.

Regards,

Vangelis