Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Truth about Christianity & Buddhism co-existing ... seeking advice

2»

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Vangelis wrote: »
    Jo theprising,

I can't get into a discussion of nibbana because words to describe it are meaningless. The uncreated cannot be pointed to, it cannot be defined as anything existing in this samsara. So I have no way of understanding or describing it. The Buddha, whilst he experienced it, could not explain it adequately in words. It would be arrogant and complete folly for me to go where even the Buddha could not. Suffice to say that Brahma, god, christ, etc are conditioned beings, not nibbana.

So please, in this matter take caz namyaw's sage advice.

Regards,

Vangelis

What a good idea :o
  • edited January 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    I get what you're saying and agree but it also needs to be understood that all Buddhists are 'trying to follow the path of another'. Right?

Yes and no. As long as you are seeking something, you are doing just that, seeking. You are waiting for the end result of your search, but you already have the end result. The reason you don't see the result you already have is because you are waiting for results that you expect to happen.

That being said, I find that people might wander their entire lives without experiencing the nature of reality. So how do they experience the true nature of reality? They have to search for it. The problem is that people's search for truth becomes the very thing that distracts them from seeing the truth that was already there. You cannot experience no-self by searching or by will.

So what is the answer? You have to search without searching. I know this makes no sense at all, but somehow, I know you understand what I mean. :)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    We live here and now so practise here and now.

I find precisely this message in the sutras, the Gospels, the Sufi poets and neo-paganism. This is how I understand HHDL's message of universalist benevolence. The only debate and difference are only on the "how" we practise.

edited January 2010

I find precisely this message in the sutras, the Gospels, the Sufi poets and neo-paganism. This is how I understand HHDL's message of universalist benevolence. The only debate and difference are only on the "how" we practise.

There is practise for everyone of different levels it depends where you want to go, higher realms, liberation, great enlightenment ? The choice is there.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    There is practise for everyone of different levels it depends where you want to go, higher realms, liberation, great enlightenment ? The choice is there.
    All of these places "to go" are distractions, something to chase after. There is nothing to do but watch, and rest.
    edited January 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    All of these places "to go" are distractions, something to chase after. There is nothing to do but watch, and rest.

The zen babble in this context isnt appropriate nor helpful all some people do is watch and rest...homer.jpg
    If buddha had not chased enlightenment then surely he would never have got there...;)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    If he had not stopped chasing it, he wouldn't have gotten there, either. :)
    edited January 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    If he had not stopped chasing it, he wouldn't have gotten there, either. :)

Use the boat to cross the ocean but once you've reached the other side dont carry it any futher. ;)
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Hank777 wrote: »
    I would very much like to hear from you, your views on this situation, especially keeping in mind that I consider God my spiritual leader, but find the BUDDHIST ways to be very pure and seemingly compatible with Christianity.

I do not believe there is any true conflict between any of the world's religions, except those barriers imposed by those who wish for barriers. In support of my argument, I relate a story from my mother, and a list of comparable Tibetan Buddhist/Catholic traditions:

1. My mother was raised in an atheistic family, so she was unfamiliar with the Bible. When in her 20's, she met Paramhansa Yogananda and started practicing yoga. While meditating one day, she broke her meditation because she heard a great wind and wanted to close the window before it began to rain. Imagine her surprise when she found the window closed and the air outside calm and still. Image her even greater surprise when some years later she filled in as organist at a church for our neighbor who was ill (and the regular organist). It was Pentecostal Sunday and the reading included Acts 2:2, "And suddenly a sound came from heaven like the rush of a mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting."

2. A rose by any other name:
    Catholics believe in the Apostolic Succession, Tib.Buddhists talk about the lineage.
    Catholics partake in the Sacrament of Penance, Tib.Buddhists do the Vajrasattva puja
    Catholics believe in the Substantiation of the Host, Tib.Buddhists take the guru into themselves by eating the offering of the Guru puja
    Catholics have a mother of God ... so do the Tib.Buddhists
    Catholics have multiple saints ... so do the Tib.Buddhists
    St.Theresa of Avila wrote about "contemplative prayer", which was basically a form of meditation.

It is not the head, but it is the heart itself that matters when we do our practice ... and this does not vary from one religion to another.
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited February 2010
    The three jewel , in deeper meaning are just refers to seek to learn from the awakening mind, the awakening speech ( teaching ) and the awakening behaviour .

Buddha is the awakened wisdom to preceive the reality
    Dharma is the awakened teaching / enlightening principle in the universe
    Sangha is those who practice to walk & protect the path of awakening