Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Discussion on having a non-buddhist partner

edited January 2010 in Buddhism Today
Hi everyone.

I was hoping to have an open and frank discussion about the challenges and blessings of having a non-buddhist partner. On one hand (and in my calmer mindset) I believe they are a blessing; a never-ending and relentless testing of our buddha nature, but on the other sometimes their behaviour alongwith their lack of understanding or appreciation of meditation and a spiritual lifestyle becomes, well, hard to handle.

So, thoughts?

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2009
    My girlfriend isn't a Buddhist, but I've never really found that hard to handle. My practice is mainly focused on my own intentions and actions, and I've found that dealing with difficult or inconvenient externalities is just another part of that practice. Very few things in this life are ever the way we want them to be, and I think that accepting this fact is an important step.

I used to think that if my girlfriend was Buddhist, things would be a lot better, but I've since found that clinging to the idea of things being a certain way usually brings me more suffering than the fact they're not. The truth is, even if my girlfriend was Buddhist, there would still be other things that bothered us about one another, and we'd still have the same difficulties other couples have.

For me, the practice is a personal journey. And the fact that other people can't understand or don't appreciate certain aspects of my practice doesn't really bother me all that much because even if they did, it wouldn't help my practice any.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    He sounds like an asshole. Dump him.
  • edited December 2009
    fivebells wrote: »

Thank you for your incite, but he is anything but as "asshole" - he is an amazing husband and I love him fiercly. I have not plans on "dumping him" at all. My reason for starting this thread was to encourage a discussion about buddhist practioners and their different experiences with their partners. On the whole my husband is very supportive - its not about him and his actions, it is about me and how I deal with these everyday incidents, and any handy hints or teachings that could come in useful would be great.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    :lol:

Emma, chill. He was kidding....

I too have a partner who is not Buddhist, and basically, I echo what Jason says.

Having a partner who is/is not Buddhist, creates its own complications.
    Some beneficial and positive, others detrimental and negative.

When things are awry, it's a lesson.
    When things are going well, it's a lesson.

When is life NOT dukkha?
  • edited December 2009
    Ah ok fair enough - sorry didnt realise it was a joke - doh!

thanks for all the good advice. I think i just need to get myself in that mindset to count my blessings and see everything as a challenge, and realise life is not full of blessings and curses, just challenges and lessons. thanks guys
  • edited December 2009

I didn't realize it was a joke either. Maybe it was something in the delivery?
    edited December 2009
    I didn't realize it was a joke either. Maybe it was something in the delivery?

And people think I'm not funny? :D
    edited December 2009
    It wasn't a joke, actually; thanks for assuming the best, Federica. Emma, you're clearly unhappy about some behavior of your husband's, and your comments on the matter are contradictory, so you're conflicted on the matter. You're not going to sort this out until you face the issue honestly and begin to think clearly about it.

But if you're married, dumping him over this would be a bit rash. Sorry about that. I assumed he was your boyfriend.
    edited December 2009
    Actually, I can see how there could be other stuff going on, here. Sorry I said that.
    edited December 2009
    No worries, fivebells. We know you meant well.
  • edited December 2009
    FiveBells> hey man its all good! No offence taken at all!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    Emma-Angel wrote: »
    (. . . ) but on the other sometimes their behaviour along with their lack of understanding or appreciation of meditation and a spiritual lifestyle becomes, well, hard to handle.

So, thoughts?

Sometimes, we can view such situations as life-enhancing and educational, opportunities to deepen our practice, and improve our knowledge of the Dhamma, whilst all the while broadening our understanding of dukkha.

But there's no need to be a complete idiot about it.

We have to also practice self-preservation, and not succumb to 'idiot compassion'.

If something becomes unreasonable, overtly intolerable and frankly an impediment to our practice and progress, we should say so.
    in view of the misunderstandings in previous posts, I am not implying, Emma, that this is the case with you at all, but to take an extreme, if our partner ridicules our practice in private, and challenges our patience in an isolated environment, that is one thing. But if they do so in public, and take the mickey in front of others, ridiculing our stance on compassion, loving kindness and meditation, then -

Up yours mister, what gives you the right to behave in that way?
    You think you're being funny? You think you're being clever?
    Why do you feel so threatened by all this?
    What's rocking your boat in what I do?
    If it makes me a happy, calm, centred person, with a positive outlook, what's it to you?
    Why do you feel the need to undermine my practice?
    Makes you feel big, does it?
    Makes you feel powerful?
    I realise, understand and accept you have your opinions about what I practice, and that's fine, that's your right.
    But now - You're just being a bully.
    You're just trying to browbeat me into submission, and attacking something important to me.
    I'd be just as defensive if someone was attacking you. I'd defend you, to the end, because you're important to me.
    So for you to be demeaning towards something that is also important to me, is just wrong.
    You either need to justify yourself logically, and tell me just why it riles you so much, so we can discuss it, or you can just shut up about it, now, once and for all.
    So - which is it going to be?

or something like that......:D
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I was hoping to have an open and frank discussion about the challenges and blessings of having a non-buddhist partner. On one hand (and in my calmer mindset) I believe they are a blessing; a never-ending and relentless testing of our buddha nature, but on the other sometimes their behaviour alongwith their lack of understanding or appreciation of meditation and a spiritual lifestyle becomes, well, hard to handle. So, thoughts?
    Hi

Spirituality & religion are characterised as a means of self-reliance & refuge in another, such as the Buddha or a guru. Meditation is a symbol of aloneness. Thus, if you are a husband, there is always the potential to feel threatened or somewhat inadequate if your wife takes refuge in religion.

Also, regardless of the relationship dynamics, each partner must learn to fully respect the other, that is, for any characteristic that has a wholesome quality. This is basic friendship and basic respect.

Therefore, my guess is you should communicate clearly & honestly to your husband if you feel he disrespects your interest in Buddhism. Then you should also express what Buddhism means to you, in a way that shows how it benefits your relationship and makes you a better person for the purpose of your relationship.

But if you start to talk about Buddhism as a way to fulful shortcomings in your relationship and/or in terms of a superstitious belief system he cannot empathise with, that may be problematic.

Kind regards

DDhatu

:)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2010
    ...testing of our buddha nature...
    The Buddha did not generally give spiritual solutions for moral problems.

For those living in a household, the Buddha taught four moral qualities can be developed & practised, namely, honesty/openness (sacca), training in virtue & self-improvement (dama), patience/endurance (khanti) and generosity/sacrifice (caga).

So when problems arise, they can be brought into the open and behaviour can be improved according to what is good and beneficial. Sometimes, sacrifice is required here, where there is a non-beneficial quality or when simply having to renounce one's preferences for the benefit of another. In brief, unselfishness.

Kind regards

DDhatu

• FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010
    My wife's not a Buddhist and for some reason complains about my use of consorts for tantra. I've explained that it's not me not really having sex in a not real way, but she just doesn't get it.

Should I buy a new wife or keep this one and buy more consorts?
    edited January 2010
    ....Are we being flippant? :wtf: :nonono:
  • edited January 2010
    My wife's not a buddhist either; in fact, we are so far apart in terms of perspectives that I often--affectionately--call her the anti-buddha. She's all romance and clinging, and I'm all abut logic and letting go.

But that's one of the great things about Buddhism; it's so compatible with other beliefs and points of view. If there are any issues on my part, I examine them; if there are any problems on her part, i use them to cultivate compassion and empathy for her and strengthen our relationship.
  • edited January 2010
    It used to bother me that my boyfriend and now fiance is not a Buddhist, just because I felt so bonded to my friends who've shared these experiences with. It made me sad to think that we would never connect on this level. However, I love him dearly for who he is and slowly came to accept that we can still share a deep and intimate connection without sharing the same faith. He accompanies me on retreat or for teachings to support me and share this part of my life. Ive offered to go to church with him in return, but he doesnt go and remains in spiritual limbo. anyway, i think most of my desire was simply desire. and silly.
    edited January 2010
    Urizen wrote: »
    My wife's not a buddhist either; in fact, we are so far apart in terms of perspectives that I often--affectionately--call her the anti-buddha. She's all romance and clinging, and I'm all abut logic and letting go.
    Everything in Moderation - including Moderation....Can't you meet in the middle? Sounds as if there's a bit of 'stuckedness' in both views....?
    But that's one of the great things about Buddhism; it's so compatible with other beliefs and points of view. If there are any issues on my part, I examine them; if there are any problems on her part, i use them to cultivate compassion and empathy for her and strengthen our relationship.
    Forgive me for saying so (you probably don't mean this to sound the way it does) but that does sound patronising...

if there are issues on your part, you examine them....
    Do you then apply a remedy?
    Do you, for example, try to be a bit more romantic and affectionate, embracing and clinging-without-grasping?
    She is after all, the one person you have committed to.
    She has a right to expect that therefore, she is more important to you than anyone else.
    That's how she'd like to be viewed in your eyes.
    Do you confirm this to her?

The 'problems on her part'... does she see them as problems, or is this just your perception?
    Does your compassion and empathy in strengthening your relationship, do things in a way which fulfil her?

please understand I know I could be completely off-bat here...but your comments provoked thought here....

Thanks!

edited January 2010
    I always say that my wife is a better Buddhist than I am.

No, she does not know anything about Buddhist scripture, no she has not 'taken refuge', but she is the most loving and compassionate person I know. She is very strong and decisive - and nearly always right.
    edited January 2010
    ....."nearly"?

huh....:hrm:

A 'real' man would simply say she is Always right.....

:lol::lol::lol:
  • edited January 2010
    but that does sound patronising...

I should have worded that a little more skillfully. Looking back on that post, it seems really patronizing. In fact, I feel bad for having posted that. I guess I've some more work to do, eh?

Thank you for your comments, Federica. I didn't mean that post to come across the way that it did, but you've really given me something to think about. Thanks! : )
    edited January 2010
    ;):)
    edited January 2010
    federica wrote: »
    ....."nearly"?

huh....:hrm:

A 'real' man would simply say she is Always right.....

:lol::lol::lol:

Well, she picked me as a partner......................... LOL :)
  • edited January 2010
    Yeshe wrote: »
    I always say that my wife is a better Buddhist than I am.

No, she does not know anything about Buddhist scripture, no she has not 'taken refuge', but she is the most loving and compassionate person I know. She is very strong and decisive - and nearly always right.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
  • edited January 2010
    I've had this question go through my head for a long time now, and though it would be easier if she was "buddhist" but I don't think that's the case. My wife and I are ultra-opposites, everything about our lives has been contrary to the other. I do think that's what keeps us together though. The fact that if I don't know the answer about something, more than likely, she has the answer, and vice-versa. She's the yin to my yang I guess.
    edited January 2010
    Yeshe wrote: »
    Well, she picked me as a partner......................... LOL :)

Good point......

I see what you mean by 'nearly' now....;)

(I am just kidding! :D)
    edited January 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Good point......

I see what you mean by 'nearly' now....;)

(I am just kidding! :D)

Damn - outwitted by a woman - again! LOL :)

I also have 2 adult daughters - I stand no chance! ;)
    edited January 2010
    Oh, your house must be a blissful challenge 3 x once a month!!

I really do sympathise with you!!

(The only comfort I can give you is that often, women's cycles synchronise... so maybe it will go down to just once a month - in triplicate!) :eek: :grin:
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Emma-Angel...

My wife is not a Buddhist... AND I HATE IT...

Because she is far more Buddhist than I!!!!!!! :o

She diligently moves spiders and small creatures outside where they belong, and shows lovingkindness to just about everyone, and has compassion for all sentient beings...

I just hate these non-Buddhists, competing with us REAL Buddhist... and succeeding!!!! :lol:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    LOL!!
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited January 2010
    If I may offer any advice, which I was trying to do in my post above, but as usual, being too obtuse, is practice what the Buddha taught...

"Look not for faults in others, look at your own faults."

(Here endth the lesson) :lol:
  • edited January 2010
    hi i have been studying and meditatinf for about 3 years,my partner wont discuss it with me but talked to a friend who also has an interest. i was hoping his enlightenment would help our relationship but he seems to practice the principles with others rather than me! im not sure how thats meant to work for him but here s hoping!