Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bhikkunis - or the first nuns, would half the length of his teachings?

edited February 2010 in Buddhism Basics
How come Buddha said that by letting there be a sangha for women his teachings would not last as long, they would in fact half?

Comments

• edited January 2010
    Where was that written?
  • edited January 2010
    everywhere, look it up on google! says it in every book ive read :)
  • edited January 2010
    I',m not quite sure that that is a direct quote but i have read something similar somewhere, i also read with this quote that he was refering to the lust and weakness of men and the fact that they would desire the women instead of focusing on the teachings.

Im not quite sure but i hope this helps.
  • edited January 2010
    i dont believe that Buddha taught this.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Em... what I've read somebody said that to him. In reply he said some un-prejudiced speech. I doubt Buddha would be a sexist pig! I seriously hope not- I don't have an ounce of respect for a prejudiced person, but a ton of respect for people un-prejudiced. I seriously doubt Siddhartha Guatama would say something like that...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2010
    read this.....
  • edited January 2010
    federica wrote: »
    read this.....
    Ah the good ole 8 Heavy Duties.
    Certainly an addition made by some misguided man several centuries after the Buddha's parinirvana.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Rosanna07 wrote: »
    How come Buddha said that by letting there be a sangha for women his teachings would not last as long, they would in fact half?
    I have heard this is not found in the suttas but in later commentaries. This seems to be the case because the Maha-Parinibbana Sutta refutes this, when it states:
    42. "There was a time, Ananda, when I dwelt at Uruvela, on the bank of the Nerañjara River, at the foot of the goatherds' banyan-tree, soon after my supreme Enlightenment. And Mara, the Evil One, approached me, saying: 'Now, O Lord, let the Blessed One come to his final passing away! Let the Happy One utterly pass away! The time has come for the Parinibbana of the Lord.'

43. "Then, Ananda, I answered Mara, the Evil One, saying: 'I shall not come to my final passing away, Evil One, until my bhikkhus and bhikkhunis, laymen and laywomen, have come to be true disciples — wise, well disciplined, apt and learned, preservers of the Dhamma, living according to the Dhamma, abiding by appropriate conduct and, having learned the Master's word, are able to expound it, preach it, proclaim it, establish it, reveal it, explain it in detail, and make it clear; until, when adverse opinions arise, they shall be able to refute them thoroughly and well, and to preach this convincing and liberating Dhamma.

:)
    edited January 2010
    Rosanna07 wrote: »
    However, the matter states the Buddha said the Dhamma would last 500 years. This appears to be true because the Buddha-Dhamma became increasingly Hinduised. At about 500 years after the Buddha's death, Dependent Origination started being taught as a theory of rebirth.

Even today, most 'Buddhists' assert Dependent Origination is a theory of rebirth. As such, they do not 'see' the Dhamma. The Buddha said, they who see Dependent Origination, see the Dhamma.

e7nxnm.jpg
  • edited January 2010
    I have heard this is not found in the suttas but in later commentaries. This seems to be the case because the Maha-Parinibbana Sutta refutes this, when it states:

Its in the Vinaya.
  • edited January 2010
    However, the matter states the Buddha said the Dhamma would last 500 years. This appears to be true because the Buddha-Dhamma became increasingly Hinduised. At about 500 years after the Buddha's death, Dependent Origination started being taught as a theory of rebirth.

Even today, most 'Buddhists' assert Dependent Origination is a theory of rebirth.

e7nxnm.jpg
    This is your opinion.
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010

Even today, most 'Buddhists' assert Dependent Origination is a theory of rebirth. As such, they do not 'see' the Dhamma. The Buddha said, they who see Dependent Origination, see the Dhamma.

e7nxnm.jpg

Are you saying Dependent Origination was invented 500 years after Buddha's death? If not, why was it not taught in the preceding 500 years?
    edited January 2010
    Yeshe wrote: »
    Are you saying Dependent Origination was invented 500 years after Buddha's death? If not, why was it not taught in the preceding 500 years?
    I said Dependent Origination as a theory of rebirth was invented 500 years after Buddha's death.

But Dependent Origination as a psychological reality regarding the arising and ceasing of suffering was expounded by the Buddha himself.

• edited January 2010
    no. he is saying that the Mahayana is Hinduism.
    stick around and he will try to assert that Nagarjuna was a nihilist.
    edited January 2010
    no. he is saying that the Mahayana is Hinduism. stick around and he will try to assert that Nagarjuna was a nihilist.
    Are not the Mahayana dieties, such as Tara, Aloketesvara, etc, borrowed from Hinduism?

What denial!

Even Mahayana teachers I have listened to openly say Mahayana was the joining of Buddhism & Hinduism to make Buddhism more attractive to the common people when it was losing its appeal.

Please. Reality please rather than emotional clinging.

edited January 2010
    no. he is saying that the Mahayana is Hinduism.
    Shenpen Nangwa.

I challenge you.

I ask you to post a picture of each Mahayana deity and I will then reply with the pre-existing Hindu equivalent.

Even Tantra is a practise borrowed from Hinduism.

edited January 2010
    Ah the good ole 8 Heavy Duties.
    Certainly an addition made by some misguided man several centuries after the Buddha's parinirvana.
    Actually, there is nothing wrong with the good ole 8 Heavy Duties in the monastic setting. They are very practical.

It is not proper for a monk to seek teachings from a woman. His motives may be childish, seeking female luv energy.

It is good to support female ordination. But we must be careful our outspokenness in this matter is not arising from our sexual attraction.

For monks (not laypeople), the Buddha said:
    284. For so long as the underbrush of desire, even the most subtle, of a man towards a woman is not cut down, his mind is in bondage, like the sucking calf to its mother.

Dhammapada

• edited January 2010
    Shenpen Nangwa.

I challenge you.

I ask you to post a picture of each Mahayana deity and I will then reply with the pre-existing Hindu equivalent.

Even Tantra is a practise borrowed from Hinduism.

Why would i use any deity images in this discussion?
    They are adapted methods, who cares if they can be related to existing Hindu deities? This in no way would prove your point.
    On the point of tantra, sure again there are close historical relationships between the two, but the methods of practice cant be asserted as the same, many have tried.
    If we want to play that game we could relate the very advent of Buddhism to the other shramana movements that were going on around the 5th century BCE and say that it too constists primarily of borrowed methods which, historically, they are for the most part.
    Any argument that the Mahayana and Vajrayana are Hinduism can just as easily be asserted about the Shravakayana and Pratyekabuddhayana.
    Personally, I dont care. I see specifically Buddhist value and teaching all all of the methods mentioned.
    edited January 2010
    I don't care what people say. Whether they did say it, someone else said it, or it was never said. That was 2500 years ago. Two-thousand five-hundred. That's a lot, and a lot of things have changed since then. By including men and woman, as one, into something, it will only strengthen us. By including people of any race, and moral belief, it will only strengthen us. By people of other beliefs taking part and learning with and about us, it will only strengthen us. It will only strengthen our unity, to ourselves, each other, other people, the world. Buddhism and the Dhama, the Sangha, we can continue for an uncountable number of years if everybody drops their racism, sexism, prejudiceds, if, whether Buddhism was, is, or never were, the way to go forward, to last, is to evolve, to adapt, to accept. :)

Love & Peace
    Joe
    edited January 2010
    Are not the Mahayana dieties, such as Tara, Aloketesvara, etc, borrowed from Hinduism?

What denial!

Even Mahayana teachers I have listened to openly say Mahayana was the joining of Buddhism & Hinduism to make Buddhism more attractive to the common people when it was losing its appeal.

What you assert about the Mahayana is not my understanding of it.

I have checked on a few deites, and it would appear for example, that Kali in her present form appeared in scripture around 100 years after Vajrayogini. The similarities in appearance and nature are too great for coincidence, so one may surmise that in fact some Hindu deities were drawn from Buddhist deities. Your claim is spurious, in that both Hindu and Buddhist tantras progessed concurrently, leaving behind Vedic deites and allocating them subservient status.

It is also possible to confuse deites as the names recur over time, such as Kali. Tara deities may also have no connection with each other.

Where in the Hindu pantheon do you find Avalokiteshvara earlier than 2500 BC?

Again, you assume that the Tantra was invented to make Buddhism more palatable to 'the common people' yet ask yourself who had access to the Tantra in Buddhism.

You may also be clinging to an interpretation of Mahayana which is far from 'reality'. ;)
  • edited January 2010
    Actually, there is nothing wrong with the good ole 8 Heavy Duties in the monastic setting. They are very practical.

It is not proper for a monk to seek teachings from a woman. His motives may be childish, seeking female luv energy.

this may be true but the language of the 8 heavy duties is overtly misogynistic and that is unnecessary.
    edited January 2010
    They are adapted methods, who cares if they can be related to existing Hindu deities? This in no way would prove your point.
    You have proved my point. Thank you. Discussion over.

• edited January 2010

What denial!

you seem pretty excited and emotional. :)
    edited January 2010
    this may be true but the language of the 8 heavy duties is overtly misogynistic and that is unnecessary.
    They are practical.

For example, many mothers of monks sought to enter the monastery.

As such, the former relationship cannot exist. This is untenable.

One cannot have maternal relationships in the monastery.

• edited January 2010
    You have proved my point. Thank you. Discussion over.

what?
    that you dont have one?
    you certainly dont, like you consistantly do with the Pali sources you site you have taken a tiny chunk out of context in order to make a statement.
    nice try.
    edited January 2010
    you seem pretty excited and emotional. :)
    Acutally, you are not only caught up in imagining and speaking things you do not know or see (false speech), but you are being defeated in debate post after post.

The two-fold defeat, namely, defeated by moral transgression and defeated in debate.

:eek:

Bhikkhus, there are these eight kinds of anariyavohara (ignoble ways of speaking). What are the eight kinds? The eight kinds are:
    the tendency to speak of having seen things that have not (really) been seen;

the tendency to speak of having heard things that have not (really) been heard;
    the tendency to speak of having experienced things that have not (really) been experienced;
    the tendency to speak of having realized things that have not (really) been realized;

the tendency to speak of having not seen things that have been seen;
    the tendency to speak of having not heard things that have been heard;
    the tendency to speak of having not experienced things that have been experienced;
    the tendency to speak of having not realized things that have been realized.

:o
  • edited January 2010
    They are practical.

For example, many mothers of monks sought to enter the monastery.

As such, the former relationship cannot exist. This is untenable.

One cannot have maternal relationships in the monastery.

Mothers of monks would be nuns.
    Of course they wouldnt be allowed in the monastery, they would go to the nunnery around the corner.
    See, no need for misogyny.
  • edited January 2010
    Acutally, you are not only caught up in imagining and speaking things you do not know or see (false speech), but you are being defeated in debate post after post.

this one is my favorite.
    nothing like claiming victory in a debate as an attempt to convince others that you are right.
    nice try.
    edited January 2010
    Why would i use any deity images in this discussion?
    On the point of tantra, sure again there are close historical relationships between the two, but the methods of practice cant be asserted as the same, many have tried.
    If we want to play that game we could relate the very advent of Buddhism to the other shramana movements that were going on around the 5th century BCE and say that it too constists primarily of borrowed methods which, historically, they are for the most part.
    Any argument that the Mahayana and Vajrayana are Hinduism can just as easily be asserted about the Shravakayana and Pratyekabuddhayana.
    Personally, I dont care. I see specifically Buddhist value and teaching all all of the methods mentioned.

Indeed. Those who regard Vajrayana as superstitious idolatry have no understanding whatsoever about the practice.

I would also say the same about Hinduism, as the surface appearance of worshipping or propitiating a deity is far from the reality of the pujas.
    edited January 2010
    Mothers of monks would be nuns.
    Of course they wouldnt be allowed in the monastery, they would go to the nunnery around the corner.
    See, no need for misogyny.
    What are you talking about?

A full bhikkhuni would engage with bhikkhus in many activities.

The heavy rules are to ensure the bhikkhuni do not enter into an maternal relationship where, for example, they are bossing around their bhikkhu son, getting their bhikkhu son to run errands for them, telling their bhikkhu son his practise is not good enough and is causing mother embrarrassment, etc.

Obviously, you cannot image the possibilities, possibly due to some kind of Tara worship tendency.

2nszmd.gif

Even in the current Theravada bhikkuni matter, there were bhikkhunis, just like teenage girls, saying 'Ajahn Brahm is more loving & compassionate than other bhikkus", etc. This tendency of "my boyfriend is better than your boyfriend" should not be allowed to occur, where bhikkhunis like a demanding woman, start to put down bhikkhus, like a wife puts down her husband for his shortcomings that do not meet her expectations.
    edited January 2010
    Indeed. Those who regard Vajrayana as superstitious idolatry have no understanding whatsoever about the practice.

I would also say the same about Hinduism, as the surface appearance of worshipping or propitiating a deity is far from the reality of the pujas.
    Its all Hinduism, regardless of how esoteric the practise is.

:smilec:
  • edited January 2010
    What are you talking about?

A full bhikkhuni would engage with bhikkhus in many activities.

The heavy rules are to ensure the bhikkhuni do not enter into an maternal relationship where they are bossing around their bhikkhi son, getting their bhikkhu son to run errands for them, telling their bhikkhu son his practise is not good enough and is causing mother embrarrassment, etc.

Obviously, you cannot image the possibilities, possibly due to some kind of Tara worship tendency.

:p
    i think i love you.
    I can certainly understand these possiblities.
    What I am suggesting is that there are better methods to prevent them than the overt misogyny of the 8 heavies.
    Maybe all that isolated breath counting has got you a little loopy.
    (Honestly, I am joking. I actually do think this is fun)
    edited January 2010

The two-fold defeat, namely, defeated by moral transgression and defeated in debate.

DD

You seem to be asserting that your view (of DO) is 'psychological reality' yet the views of others are 'imagining and speaking things you do not know or see'.

You cannot judge what others know and see.
  • edited January 2010
    Its all Hinduism, regardless of how esoteric the practise is.

:smilec:
    If a practitioner doesnt understand the view and intent of the teachings they could practice in a way that could be considered "Hindu" but this is true for any Buddhist tradition.
    One cannot successfully argue that Buddhist Tantra and Hindu Tantra are the same. Just like a lot of people could unsuccessfully argue that Therevada is "Hinayana" (which it isnt).
    edited January 2010
    Maybe all that isolated breath counting has got you a little loopy.
    More false speech. I have never practised isolated breath counting.

Do we have a tendency to project mental states onto others?

• edited January 2010
    More false speech. I have never practised isolated breath counting.

Do we have a tendency to project mental states onto others?

really? you have to be joking, i was.
    Also, you're statement about "Tara worship" that inspired this joke is already in one of my quotes so it didnt work when you went back and removed it.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited January 2010

Well perhapes it was especially designed for people of a certain mindset/capacity.
  • edited January 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Well perhapes it was especially designed for people of a certain mindset/capacity.

touche
    edited January 2010
    Buddha was techincally hinduistic, so perhapes it is not to far to say that all buddhism is hinduistic in origin some traditions may have resemblance but surface appearance does not show whats underneath.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Would members please stick to the topic, and stop bickering about matters not directly related to the first post?
    Thank you.

I am of the opinion that the reason the Buddha felt that the teachings would last 500 years was because he knew men couldn't keep it in their pants.
    ergo, men would be the downfall of the Dhamma, not women....

the amount of threads started by men declaring they're addicted to porn, and they masturbate and thy're lustful...together with the amount of sex scandals which have surrounded eminent Buddhist lamas in recent years, would bear this out...

And this comment is simply horrendous....
    "Sooner or later, we'll see female monks everywhere," said Phra Kru Opaswuthikorn. He added that the introduction of the Siladhara order, or 10-precept nuns, which was set up by the most senior Western monk, Ajahn Sumedho, as an alternative to female monks in Thailand was also unthinkable.

It would be difficult for the Thai public and the clergy to accept the Siladhara order, he said, because the presence of women creates unnecessary problems for the monks' vow of chastity."
    so of course, the fact that they can't keep their vows, is the women's fault....?:skeptical

(Big debate on Bikkunhi ordination on another forum....)
    edited January 2010
    touche

Why would this be touche ? :confused: All dharma is designed for people of different mindsets if a certain group of people are overly msyogenistic then would it not be better to apply rules to deal with this ? As DD has pointed out a mother son relationship between a bhikkhu and bhikkuini would be unproductive as once one has entered an ordained life.
  • edited January 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Buddha was techincally hinduistic, so perhapes it is not to far to say that all buddhism is hinduistic in origin some traditions may have resemblance but surface appearance does not show whats underneath.
    exactly.
    all of the shramana movements sprung from traditions that we now label as Hindu.
    edited January 2010
    exactly.
    all of the shramana movements sprung from traditions that we now label as Hindu.

Should we care to be labeled ? a label is a sticky application, a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet. :p
    edited January 2010
    LOL :rolleyes:
    The eight heavy duties are extremely, in my opinion, sexist.
    :hrm:

Love & Peace
    Joe
    edited January 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »

Love & f*****g Peace
    Joe

Chillout some people are sexist, so unsprisingly there are rules to deal with that :o

Besides the concept of sexism seems to be a relativly new concept, back then everyone knew their appropriate roles and capablities so it doesnt really suprise me that rules will appear distastfull toward us westernised people.
    The dharma changes wherever it goes.
  • edited January 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »

Love & Peace
    Joe

Agreed. I think they are extremely sexist as well.

I also think they were added by later misogynistic monks to subjugate woman and are not a part of the authentic Buddhadhamma.
  • edited January 2010
    poto wrote: »

I also think they were added by later misogynistic monks to subjugate woman and are not a part of the authentic Buddhadhamma.

i think this is most certainly the case.
    their views were most likely reinforced by patriarchal social norms.
    edited January 2010
    i think this is most certainly the case.
    their views were most likely reinforced by patriarchal social norms.

Perhapes this is true i would not expect a buddha to discriminate upon who can attain based on gender, although i wouldnt expect him either to completly ignore the human variations and condition equality is a pipe dream of the unrealistic this is samsara.
    edited January 2010
    Many of the regulations were put into place for nuns in order to protect them...

For example, there is a rule against a nun touching a monk's robes...this was actually to prevent monks using nuns as laundry maids and getting them to do their cleaning and washing for them.
    Another stated that nuns had to be accompanied everywhere... they were dangerous times for women, because due to their poor social status, men were not dealt with harshly if they assaulted or harmed a woman. Therefore an escort minimised the likelihood of a nun being attacked or assaulted.
    I was given these explanations by a nun at this monastery, near me.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I love the movie 'Doubt'.

Anyone seen it?

Women are not the only sensual distraction for ordained men (and who knows how many times they have intervened to protect the innocent from the ordained male).

Last week when I read this,
    "It would be difficult for the Thai public and the clergy to accept the Siladhara order, he said, because the presence of women creates unnecessary problems for the monks' vow of chastity."
    and the rest of that article regarding full ordination for women I was horrified.

To categorically deny women the choice to fully ordain and devote their lives to the Dhamma for the asinine reasons given by the patriarchs is nothing short of spiritual rape.

It's a filthy, squalid dictate filled with fear and hate and it creates immeasurable suffering.

If men who have truly devoted their lives to living the Dhamma really have so much of a problem dealing with their desire for women that they cannot even interact in groups with them during ceremonies or alms rounds or what have you, than the women, I'm sure, would be more than happy to live their ordained lives completely separate from the men.

How this could ever be perceived as a logistical problem in the face of a woman's desire to live the monastic life is galling. Have these men ever heard of Catholic nuns?

I love men and always have but by god their precious sense of entitlement makes me want to scream. How dare they place any obstacles, much less dictatorial mandates, in the way of a woman's desire to ordain.

I'd normally view a situation like this as the imbecilic, ludicrous, petty, and puerile situation it is if the cost to the spiritual life of women wasn't so high.

Deep shame on them.