Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do all buddhists pray?

I've never been big into prayer and was just curious.
How many of you pray?
Is it possible to meditate without prayer?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Pray to whom?
    For what?
    Do you mean 'pray' in the conventional sense?
    Like Christians do to God?

No......
    What would be the point?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited January 2010
    To whom or what would a Buddhist pray? Buddhism is about taking personal responsibility for one's own true happiness. Prayer is not part of Buddhism, and definitely has nothing to do with meditation. This book will introduce you to meditation and how to begin: http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/mfneng/mind0.htm

First you need to know what the purpose of meditation is and the purpose and subject of the Buddha's teachings. From the the above link:
    Chapter 3
    What Meditation Is

Within the Judeo-Christian tradition we find two overlapping practices called prayer and contemplation. Prayer is a direct address to some spiritual entity. Contemplation in a prolonged period of conscious thought about some specific topic, usually a religious ideal or scriptural passage. From the standpoint of mental culture, both of these activities are exercises in concentration. The normal deluge of conscious thought is restricted, and the mind is brought to one conscious area of operation. The results are those you find in any concentrative practice: deep calm, a physiological slowing of the metabolism and a sense of peace and well-being.

Within the Buddhist tradition, concentration is also highly valued. But a new element is added and more highly stressed. That element is awareness. All Buddhist meditation aims at the development of awareness, using concentration as a tool. The Buddhist tradition is very wide, however, and there are several diverse routes to this goal. Zen meditation uses two separate tacks. The first is the direct plunge into awareness by sheer force of will. You sit down and you just sit, meaning that you toss out of your mind everything except pure awareness of sitting. This sounds very simple. It is not. A brief trial will demonstrate just how difficult it really is. The second Zen approach used in the Rinzai school is that of tricking the mind out of conscious thought and into pure awareness. This is done by giving the student an unsolvable riddle which he must solve anyway, and by placing him in a horrendous training situation. Since he cannot flee from the pain of the situation, he must flee into a pure experience of the moment. There is nowhere else to go. Zen is tough. It is effective for many people, but it is really tough.

Vipassana is the oldest of Buddhist meditation practices. The method comes directly from the Sitipatthana Sutta, a discourse attributed to Buddha himself. Vipassana is a direct and gradual cultivation of mindfulness or awareness. It proceeds piece by piece over a period of years. The student's attention is carefully directed to an intense examination of certain aspects of his own existence. The meditator is trained to notice more and more of his own flowing life experience. Vipassana is a gentle technique. But it also is very , very thorough. It is an ancient and codified system of sensitivity training, a set of exercises dedicated to becoming more and more receptive to your own life experience. It is attentive listening, total seeing and careful testing. We learn to smell acutely, to touch fully and really pay attention to what we feel. We learn to listen to our own thoughts without being caught up in them.

The object of Vipassana practice is to learn to pay attention. We think we are doing this already, but that is an illusion. It comes from the fact that we are paying so little attention to the ongoing surge of our own life experiences that we might just as well be asleep. We are simply not paying enough attention to notice that we are not paying attention. It is another Catch-22.

Through the process of mindfulness, we slowly become aware of what we really are down below the ego image. We wake up to what life really is. It is not just a parade of ups and downs, lollipops and smacks on the wrist. That is an illusion. Life has a much deeper texture than that if we bother to look, and if we look in the right way.

Vipassana is a form of mental training that will teach you to experience the world in an entirely new way. You will learn for the first time what is truly happening to you, around you and within you. It is a process of self discovery, a participatory investigation in which you observe your own experiences while participating in them, and as they occur. The practice must be approached with this attitude.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Exactly so, Federica. Buddhism says that each of us is responsible for our own lives and what happens to us ... and our own enlightenment. We do not hand responsibility over to an outside force. Exactly so.
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited January 2010
    What about "aspirational" prayers?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited January 2010
    That's more like positive affirmation. It's not part of all traditions and it's not part of meditation. It is not seeking external aid but a practice to cultivate karuna and metta within one's own self. Although some undoubtedly see it as traditional prayer and overlook the true benefit of the practice.

Anapanasati and vipassana do not involve any of this. It's simple mindfulness and awareness and the method is precisely outlined in the suttas. This is what the Buddha practiced.
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    In Thich Nhat Hanh's book Living Buddha Living Christ, he mentions that buddhists pray by living the dharma. Our compassion, understanding, and good actions are prayers and offerings to all other sentient beings.
  • edited January 2010
    To whom or what would a Buddhist pray? Buddhism is about taking personal responsibility for one's own true happiness. Prayer is not part of Buddhism, and definitely has nothing to do with meditation.

not true.
    Nearly all Buddhist traditions utilize some form of prayer as a meditative method. Rather than praying to an entity or god Buddhist prayer is more of an aspirational development of the qualities of enlightenment.
    Prayer is most certainly a part of Buddhism and it has a lot to do with meditation.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited January 2010
    not true.
    Nearly all Buddhist traditions utilize some form of prayer as a meditative method. Rather than praying to an entity or god Buddhist prayer is more of an aspirational development of the qualities of enlightenment.
    Prayer is most certainly a part of Buddhism and it has a lot to do with meditation.

I'll simply repeat what I already said:

To whom or what would a Buddhist pray? Buddhism is about taking personal responsibility for one's own true happiness.

That's more like positive affirmation. It's not part of all traditions and it's not part of meditation. It is not seeking external aid but a practice to cultivate karuna and metta within one's own self.

What exactly are you disagreeing with? :confused:
  • edited January 2010
    I'll simply repeat what I already said:

To whom or what would a Buddhist pray? Buddhism is about taking personal responsibility for one's own true happiness.

That's more like positive affirmation. It's not part of all traditions and it's not part of meditation. It is not seeking external aid but a practice to cultivate karuna and metta within one's own self.

What exactly are you disagreeing with? :confused:
    Its not simply positive affirmation and it is a part of meditation.
    Aspiration and affirmation are not the same thing and in the Buddhist prayer tradition aspiration is a meditative practice.
    if you were to preface your statements with the appropriate context or your view and your traditions view rather than making blanket statements I would have nothing to disagree with.
  • edited January 2010
    I've never been big into prayer and was just curious.
    How many of you pray?
    Is it possible to meditate without prayer?

To answer your question, not all Buddhists pray and yes, you can certainly meditate without prayer.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Its not simply positive affirmation and it is a part of meditation.
    Aspiration and affirmation are not the same thing and in the Buddhist prayer tradition aspiration is a meditative practice.

The OP is not interested in prayer. There are plenty of traditions in which prayer has absolutely nothing to do with meditaiton. When I was still involved with Tibetan Buddhism, I was taught that praying was simply a means of developing one's own qualities and should not be seen as anything mystical. Perhaps prayers to deities is part of your meditation practice, but it is certainly not necessary--the method of anapanasati as taught by the Buddha does not mention prayer in any way. So that answers the OP's question. If others want to include it, they're free to do so, and clearly some Buddhists do.

"If a man could eliminate suffering by making offerings, paying homage, and praying, there would be no one subject to suffering left in the world because anyone at can pay homage and pray. But since people are still subject to suffering while in the very act of making obeisance’s, paying homage, and performing rites, this is clearly not the way to gain liberation."
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited January 2010
    The dividing wall between prayer and meditation can be thin ... St. Theresa d'Avilla (a Catholic nun) wrote a treatise on Contemplative Prayer that sounded more like meditation than prayer. All paths lead to Rome.
  • edited January 2010
    The OP is not interested in prayer. There are plenty of traditions in which prayer has absolutely nothing to do with meditaiton. When I was still involved with Tibetan Buddhism, I was taught that praying was simply a means of developing one's own qualities and should not be seen as anything mystical. Perhaps prayers to deities is part of your meditation practice, but it is certainly not necessary--the method of anapanasati as taught by the Buddha does not mention prayer in any way. So that answers the OP's question. If others want to include it, they're free to do so, and clearly some Buddhists do.
    That the OP is not interested in prayer is clear, your blanket statements about Buddhism in general however are not, they are misinformation at best. The OP deserves accurate information not blanket statements.
    I never said anything about prayers to deities, and just so you know it doesnt play any role in my personal practice. Whoever taught you that prayer is not something mystical was correct.
    You're statements about anapanasati and what the Buddha taught are the opinion of you and certain traditions but in no way speaks for all traditions or practitioners and therefore should be prefaced with this recognition rather than blanket statements about what the Buddha did and did not teach. You are not an authority on all Buddhist traditions and what was, is, and was not taught and therefore shouldnt speak as though you are.
    its just that simple, put your statements in their proper context in so others can see where you are coming from and I see no need for disagreement.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited January 2010
    That the OP is not interested in prayer is clear, your blanket statements about Buddhism in general however are not, they are misinformation at best.

You're statements about anapanasati and what the Buddha taught are the opinion of you and certain traditions but in no way speaks for all traditions or practitioners and therefore should be prefaced with this recognition rather than blanket statements about what the Buddha did and did not teach. You are not an authority on all Buddhist traditions and what was, is, and was not taught and therefore shouldnt speak as though you are.

In the Pali Canon, the Buddha did not teach it as part of anapanasati. Perhaps other traditions, commentaries, or Mahayana sutras say he did, I don't know. I didn't claim to be speaking on behalf of all offshoots of Buddhism. I said, according to the anapanasati sutta, there is no mention of prayer. Anyone who reads it can see this for themselves. And you agree it is not necessary. So relax. Breathe.

Your statements were as absolute as mine: "Prayer is most certainly a part of Buddhism and it has a lot to do with meditation."

Clearly, it is Buddhism and part of meditation for some, and not Buddhism or meditation at all for others. Relax. Breathe.

If you cannot see that I was simply trying to say that it is not necessary to meditation or Buddhism, just as by your seemingly absolute statement you were simply trying to say that it has it's place in certain Buddhist traditions and meditation and can equally be called "Buddhism," then you are simply arguing for the sake of it and I must say: GROSS! :mad: :lol: I must say, it is interesting you picked out my statement when others had said the same thing before and after me.

I trust we can leave it at that, yeah? :)

Edit -
    I never said anything about prayers to deities, and just so you know it doesnt play any role in my personal practice. Whoever taught you that prayer is not something mystical was correct.

Exactly. And I never disagreed with that. I just called it something else and in fact acknowledged it as a Buddhist practice within certain traditions. I believe the OP was talking about prayer in the more common sense in which people seek external aid by wishful thinking and believing the gods will answer their wishes. This, I don't believe, is part of any Buddhist tradition, and even if it is, the point remains that it's not essential. You agree that prayer in either form is necessary. I don't know what you're arguing about.
  • edited January 2010
    In the Pali Canon, the Buddha did not teach it as part of anapanasati. Perhaps other traditions say he did, I don't know. I didn't claim to be speaking on behalf of all offshoots of Buddhism.

:lol:

I trust we can leave it at that, yeah? :)
    they are not offshoots, they are Buddhism. this is the root of the disagreement. I know what the Pali Canon says, and it is relevant and all I am saying is that statements that are based upon this source should cite it in order to convey clearly where you are coming from. Thats all.
    just because we disagree doesnt mean i am upset or that i dislike you.

and I'm quite relaxed, thanks though.
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010
    To 'pray' is to 'wish'. It needs no more complex explanation and certainly is not propitiation of any deity.

We express our wishes in many ways, but primarily we are addressing our own minds and seeking to implant a desire, such as the attainment of Bodhichitta, or the wish for others to be free from suffering. In doing so, we are creating and reinforcing the causes to develop such beneficial attitudes. A mantra may be used in a similar fashion.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited January 2010
    they are not offshoots, they are Buddhism. this is the root of the disagreement. I know what the Pali Canon says, and it is relevant and all I am saying is that statements that are based upon this source should cite it in order to convey clearly where you are coming from. Thats all.
    and I'm quite relaxed, thanks though.

My dear, you have created a sectarian issue in your own mind. papanca.gifAll traditions including Theravada are offshoots of what the Buddha taught. You are assuming I am Theravadan and reading every syllable I speak as having an authoritarian tone. papanca.gif

You said "it is a part of Buddhism and meditation" and I said "it is not a part of Buddhism and meditation." So you are being hypocritical now; my statement is authoritarian and misinformative, but yours is not?

Two other people said the same thing as I did and yet you are choosing specifically to argue with me. Why? You're reading my posts with bias.papanca.gif

And incidentally, I cited my source, you did not.

And if you'd pay close attention, we don't disagree. All I was trying to say, is that it's not necessary to Buddhism or meditation and not practiced by all traditions. :buck:

That's all. You can continue arguing with yourself if you like. Take care.

papanca.gifpapanca.gifpapanca.gif
  • edited January 2010
    My dear, you have created a sectarian issue in your own mind. papanca.gifAll traditions including Theravada are offshoots of what the Buddha taught. You are assuming I am Theravadan and reading every syllable I speak as having an authoritarian tone. papanca.gif

You said "it is a part of Buddhism and meditation" and I said "it is not a part of Buddhism and meditation." So you are being hypocritical now; my statement is authoritarian and misinformative, but yours is not?

Two other people said the same thing as I did and yet you are choosing specifically to argue with me. Why? You're reading my posts with bias.papanca.gif

And incidentally, I cited my source, you did not.

And if you'd pay close attention, we don't disagree. All I was trying to say, is that it's not necessary to Buddhism or meditation and not practiced by all traditions. :buck:

That's all. You can continue arguing with yourself if you like. Take care.

papanca.gifpapanca.gifpapanca.gif
    grow up. the "argument" is over.
    I've created nothing and you know it.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited January 2010
    shenpen nangwa,

You clearly have a personal issue with me. If so, please PM me, and leave it out of the forum.

Thanks.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited January 2010
    not true.

Yes this is very true. :)
    edited January 2010
    I smell a bit of concealed anger on this thread, smells somewhat like gasoline.
    All we need know is a match and on come the cap locks. :wtf:
  • FyreShamanFyreShaman Veteran
    edited January 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    I smell a bit of concealed anger on this thread, smells somewhat like gasoline.
    All we need know is a match and on come the cap locks. :wtf:

Whoever ignites it needs to say a prayer first! LOL :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2010
    I do not pray.
    Ever.
    edited January 2010
    My mom, however, tells me that she will pray for me and Buddha.
    edited January 2010
    That's nice of her. :)
    edited January 2010
    Yeshe wrote: »
    Whoever ignites it needs to say a prayer first! LOL :)

Oh i dont dare now in case we incite the wrath of the angry buddhist :o
  • edited January 2010
    Oops... I didn't mean to start a fight, I just saw a thread about praying for peace and thought i had missed something fundamental.
    edited January 2010
    Oops... I didn't mean to start a fight, I just saw a thread about praying for peace and thought i had missed something fundamental.

:lol:

Its alright some people have strong opinions as you can see.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited January 2010

Lmao.
    edited January 2010
    federica wrote: »
    That's nice of her. :)

I can have her add you on to th elist if you would like federica :rolleyes:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Many buddhists pray and many do not. Some reasons to pray might be because you believe it has the power to reach beyond space and time to buddhas and bodhisatvas. You have to view the world from a perspective other than a materialist perspective for this to make sense I feel. Or a practitioner could not think in this way (perhaps they are a materialist) but they just notice that they feel better certain times when they pray. Its like that saying 'no atheists in a foxhole'.. I think that is a bit of an offensive saying. On the other hand it points out what some people notice in their experience that it is natural to ask for help when you are scared. It is comforting for me to ask for help from buddha or even my teacher when I am scared. Even when they are not in the room with me.

Theres also the practice of pranidhannas which are like clear formulations of what we wish for. By being clear about what we want we root out some conflicting wishes that cancel eachother out. Such as I wish to be happy but I also wish to always be agreed with admired etc. (because sometimes those things do not happen and if our happiness is based on them then we are not happy). By making skillful wishes we clarify ourself. Taking refuge in some way is a wish. Because we are recognizing the relative importance of refuge in the buddha as more important than if we have our favorite kind of coffee.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    It seems as though Mundus and shenpen were in violent agreement. :)
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited January 2010
    It seems as though Mundus and shenpen were in violent agreement. :)

nono.gif Don't know where you got the agreement part from. I was actually just pissing all over Mahayana. Violently. pee.gif *Goes and continues doing so all over personal Tibetan and Zen book collection* pee.gif

You know it. And shengpen knows it. And I do too:
    I've created nothing and you know it.

psychotic.gif
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    One thing I thought of once in interfaith arguments was the reflection that the same mind that is upset in any number of things is also upset in an interfaith dispute. I do hobbycrafts and I have had the same irritation when someone suggests to use a different brand of sanitizer (in beer brewing) than I use. It really irritates me when someone says that star san is the best sanitizer when I know that iodophore is just as good :D It also irritates me when someone says that cadmium red is the best paint to use for flowers because when I know that crimson is clearly the best. Ok made the second example up I'm just a beginner in painting.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited January 2010
    One thing I thought of once in interfaith arguments was the reflection that the same mind that is upset in any number of things is also upset in an interfaith dispute. I do hobbycrafts and I have had the same irritation when someone suggests to use a different brand of sanitizer (in beer brewing) than I use. It really irritates me when someone says that star san is the best sanitizer when I know that iodophore is just as good :D It also irritates me when someone says that cadmium red is the best paint to use for flowers because when I know that crimson is clearly the best. Ok made the second example up I'm just a beginner in painting.

I'm confused. Where did this happen? :confused:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I have had interfaith arguments personally.. I think the disagreement on whether prayer was part of buddhism reminded me of some arguments that I have had in the past. And a reflection (again in the past) that I had about such arguments being the same as any arguments we have about politics, or even in hobbies.

Sorry maybe I should have started a new thread!
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited January 2010
    There was no disagreement on whether prayer was part of Buddhism. There was only violent agreement. :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    violent agreement :)
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited January 2010
    YEAH! VIOLENT AGREEMENT, DAMN YOU@! YOU GET IT, ALRIGHT??
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Let me make you an offer you can't refuse....
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Somehow, this got missed:
    Yeshe wrote: »
    To 'pray' is to 'wish'. It needs no more complex explanation and certainly is not propitiation of any deity.

We express our wishes in many ways, but primarily we are addressing our own minds and seeking to implant a desire, such as the attainment of Bodhichitta, or the wish for others to be free from suffering. In doing so, we are creating and reinforcing the causes to develop such beneficial attitudes. A mantra may be used in a similar fashion.
    This is correct. Etymologically, "pray" in it originary sense means to "wish" or "request." One might well ask to whom a Buddhist would pray and Yeshe is correct in that we have no one to ask but our own being. In the Theravada canon, there is a precedent for what in many ways is not very different from certain practices in theistic traditions. Some of you might recognize it:
    (Then let him cultivate the thought:)
    May all be well and secure,
    May all beings be happy!

Whatever living creatures there be,
    Without exception, weak or strong,
    Long, huge or middle-sized,
    Or short, minute or bulky,
    Whether visible or invisible,
    And those living far or near,
    The born and those seeking birth,
    May all beings be happy!

Let none deceive or decry
    His fellow anywhere;
    Let none wish others harm
    In resentment or in hate.
    Just as with her own life
    A mother shields from hurt
    Her own son, her only child,
    Let all-embracing thoughts
    For all beings be yours.
    Source: Karaniya Metta Sutta

Interestingly, Buddharakkhita titles his translation "The Hymn of Universal Love."
  • edited January 2010
    i always thought prayer in buddhism in addition to planting seeds in yourself was also beseeching actual buddhas and bodhisattvas spread throughout the buddhaverse eh? he he
    edited January 2010
    I can have her add you on to th elist if you would like federica :rolleyes:

Oh, every little helps, as the old lady said, weeing in the ocean....:D

And yes, what Glow said.:thumbsup:
  • edited January 2010
    It's definitely possible to meditate without prayer.

As to whether prayer is part of Buddhism at all; it's not in the Tipitaka as far as I'm aware but many Thai people, for instance, do pray to the Buddha, and even ask him for things. Paali chants (which I at, one point, could read on my own) even talk about seeking to not anger the arahants or the Buddha as if he's going to get angry with us or punish us...:wtf: When I said once I feel uncomfortable bowing before statues (which was not a part of the earliest Buddhism, since they didn't even make statues until Greek influence) they even said "But you have to if you want him to answer your prayers... he even came all the way from Thailand and is pure gold." as if they believed the Buddha was in it. :eek: One reason I do not go to a Wat anymore and lost a lot of interest in Buddhism, since their idea of what it was had pretty much nothing to it that I found useful, meritorious or even mildly interesting, to be honest, it's completely indistinguishable from Hinduism.
    edited January 2010
    Jase wrote: »
    It's definitely possible to meditate without prayer.

As to whether prayer is part of Buddhism at all; it's not in the Tipitaka as far as I'm aware but many Thai people, for instance, do pray to the Buddha, and even ask him for things. Paali chants (which I at, one point, could read on my own) even talk about seeking to not anger the arahants or the Buddha as if he's going to get angry with us or punish us...:wtf: When I said once I feel uncomfortable bowing before statues (which was not a part of the earliest Buddhism, since they didn't even make statues until Greek influence) they even said "But you have to if you want him to answer your prayers... he even came all the way from Thailand and is pure gold." as if they believed the Buddha was in it. :eek: One reason I do not go to a Wat anymore and lost a lot of interest in Buddhism, since their idea of what it was had pretty much nothing to it that I found useful, meritorious or even mildly interesting, to be honest, it's completely indistinguishable from Hinduism.

Not so, 4 noble truths, 8 fold path, renunciation, impermenance, bodhichitta...and so on and so on. :p
  • edited January 2010
    caz namyaw wrote: »
    Not so, 4 noble truths, 8 fold path, renunciation, impermenance, bodhichitta...and so on and so on. :p

Totally so. Notice I said "Their idea", the people at the temple. Their idea of Buddhism is praying to the Buddha, giving him offerings, etc. Never anything about impermanence or bodhichitta. It's not really any different then Hinduism, Thai animism has completely overrun Buddhism at their temple.
    edited January 2010
    Jase wrote: »
    Totally so. Notice I said "Their idea", the people at the temple. Their idea of Buddhism is praying to the Buddha, giving him offerings, etc. Never anything about impermanence or bodhichitta. It's not really any different then Hinduism, Thai animism has completely overrun Buddhism at their temple.

I did watch a documentary not so long ago about Thai buddhism to find that on one of the islands people where asking deities to kill one another ....facepalm.
    Praying for inspiration and good conditions for practise is onething prayer for prayers sake alone leads no where. :wtf:
  • edited January 2010

Regarding prayer being a tool to improve ones own attitude and aspirations rather than actually having an effect on anything externally, I remember a talk by a Tibetan Buddhist teacher which I attended. Someone asked him about praying to the Buddhas and Bodhistattvas for help in difficult situations - and he said that if one was in a sinking ship, one could indeed pray for help, but it would be a lot better to find the lifeboat first! :)

• edited January 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    and he said that if one was in a sinking ship, one could indeed pray for help, but it would be a lot better to find the lifeboat first! :)
    lol Thank you everyone for your responses you helped alot.:smilec:
    edited January 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »

Regarding prayer being a tool to improve ones own attitude and aspirations rather than actually having an effect on anything externally, I remember a talk by a Tibetan Buddhist teacher which I attended. Someone asked him about praying to the Buddhas and Bodhistattvas for help in difficult situations - and he said that if one was in a sinking ship, one could indeed pray for help, but it would be a lot better to find the lifeboat first! :)

Yes, brilliant....
    A similar adage I heard, which is a favourite of mine, is:

"By all means call on God, but at least row AWAY from the rocks!" ;)