Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and Sex?

edited February 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hello everyone,
I am very new to Buddhism. I have been studying it off and on for about two years now--very casually. Today I was reading different websites and came across this:

A core teaching of Buddhism is the Buddha's Eightfold Path.
<!--msthemelist--><table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <!--msthemelist--><tbody><tr><td width="42" valign="baseline">topbul1d.gif</td><td width="100%" valign="top">The second of the eight steps is called Samma sankappa: right thinking or right resolve. It has been stated as:<!--msthemelist--></td></tr> <!--msthemelist--></tbody></table>
"You must renounce the pleasures of the senses; you must harbor no ill will toward anyone, and harm no living creature." <sub></sub>
When applied to sexual behavior, this step would seem to imply that one must:
Engage in no pleasurable activities at all, including both masturbation and sexual pursuits with another person.

Why is this considered bad?

Thank you,
Amanda

It came from this site: http://www.religioustolerance.org

Comments

• edited January 2010
    It is not that you must not; it is not a commandment. It is that avoidance of sensual pleasures fosters detachment from them. It is our attachment to these temporary phenomena that are the cause of our suffering, our dukkha.

Unless you are an ordained bhikkhu or bhikkhuni, it is rather the absense of sensual (and sexual) misconduct, not the absence of sex altogether. You can be a Buddhist and still have a family. It's just that at some point, if you wish to continue on the path to ultimate Nibbana, you will realize the harmful attachment that goes with sexuality and the desire for sex will then fall away.
  • edited January 2010
    desire is the mother of suffering, so if we wish to end suffering we have to control and limit our sensual desire so that it does not become attachment. but, desire as a psychological need and desire as merely doing something that has some value in it to a person, though related are different. for lay buddhists, sex can be a valuable thing, though it comes with risks and so one must be wary. romantic relationships are very valuable in the practice of love, because one person who you are romantically involved with can serve as an example and a catalyst for the love of all beings no matter what your normal relationship to them is.
  • edited January 2010
    So sex is okay, but you should just avoid being attached to it? Not letting it control you and letting yourself be okay without it.
    Am I understanding that right?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2010
    That sounds right to me Pink
  • edited January 2010
    pinkxlotus wrote: »
    So sex is okay, but you should just avoid being attached to it? Not letting it control you and letting yourself be okay without it.
    Am I understanding that right?
    For the Buddhist layman that still desires sex, it is avoidance of sexual misconduct. Not to have sex with someone's spouse, not to force sex, not to have sex with a minor or cousin or anyone else that your particular society shuns. If you do have sex, meaningful sex within a relationship is the healthiest way to go for so long as you still desire it.
  • edited January 2010
    Aldrisang wrote: »
    For the Buddhist layman that still desires sex, it is avoidance of sexual misconduct. Not to have sex with someone's spouse, not to force sex, not to have sex with a minor or cousin or anyone else that your particular society shuns. If you do have sex, meaningful sex within a relationship is the healthiest way to go for so long as you still desire it.

Can you explain to me what you mean by "Buddhist layman"? Sorry, I am still very new.

So there is nothing really "wrong" with having sex within a committed relationship, but the ultimate goal is to get rid of your desires, which would include sex? Is that right?

Thanks again!
  • edited January 2010
    Exactly. By Buddhist layman, I mean anyone who hasn't entered monastic life (monkhood). There are monastic rules against sex, but the precepts concerning sex are less demanding upon a layperson.
  • edited January 2010
    they laity still like to get laid
    he he he he

but, the ultimate goal is to attain a state of emptiness, which is just synonymous with nirvana. this does not mean to cease sexual desire, it just means to live in the mind in a state of desirelessness, to end thirst. but to end thirst does not mean you cease drinking water.
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited January 2010
    This is not a rule and shouldn't be thought of as one but my favorite advice on this subject is in the book "Living Buddha Living Christ". Thich speaks about sex and sexual misconduct for all people (except those monks and nuns that have made promises) and advises that one only have sexual relations with a person with whom you have made a long-term commitment. He doesn't mention marriage but states that because it is such a deeply emotional act that you should experience it with one you trust and love (vive versa).
  • edited January 2010
    Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate it. I believe that I understand now. :)
  • edited January 2010
    but to end thirst does not mean you cease drinking water.

Wise words!
  • edited January 2010
    I assume sex in Buddhism has gone the same was as in other religions - made into a much more negative notion than originally intended by the masculine orthodxy:)
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited January 2010
    the ultimate goal is to attain a state of emptiness, which is just synonymous with nirvana. this does not mean to cease sexual desire, it just means to live in the mind in a state of desirelessness, to end thirst. but to end thirst does not mean you cease drinking water.

Is sex same as water?
    :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2010
    yes.

Fluids do come into it.:rolleyes:
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited January 2010
    federica wrote: »
    yes.

Fluids do come into it.:rolleyes:

Both are essential for life.
    Correction water is essential to life and sex for life.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2010
    MatSalted wrote: »
    I assume sex in Buddhism has gone the same was as in other religions - made into a much more negative notion than originally intended by the masculine orthodxy:)

No, not at all.
    It is treated as an attachment to gradually free yourself from, just as any form of attachment to anything else, is worked upon.

Buddhists see nothing wrong with sex at all, providing it is practised in a manner which does not compromise the third Precept.
    And that factor, is largely a decision to be made by those actively involved.

I think you're confusing sexual discrimination with 'sex'.
    But that's a whole 'nuther story.....;)
  • edited January 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Buddhists see nothing wrong with sex at all, providing it is practised in a manner which does not compromise the third Precept.

I think some Buddhist do, but that will be cultural rather than spiritual:)

Mat
    edited January 2010
    precisely.
    so it's nothing to do with 'Buddhism' as Buddhism is, it's more to do with a personal inference and interpretation.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2010

"You must renounce the pleasures of the senses; you must harbor no ill will toward anyone, and harm no living creature."
    The above teaching is for monks & nuns.

For laypeople, the Buddha advised to practise sexual morality or fidelity as follows:
    Husband & wife,
    both of them having conviction,
    being responsive, being restrained,
    living by the Dhamma,
    addressing each other with loving words:
    they benefit in manifold ways.
    To them comes bliss.

When both are in tune in virtue.
    Having followed the Dhamma
    here in this world,
    both in tune in precepts & practices,
    they delight in the world of the devas,
    enjoying the pleasures they desire.

Samajivina Sutta: Living in Tune

Kind regards

edited January 2010
    MatSalted wrote: »
    The Buddha emphasised non-harming.

What has anything to do with masculine orthodoxy?

Those who pursue the life of a monk or nun renounce sex.

edited January 2010
    So sex is okay, but you should just avoid being attached to it? Not letting it control you and letting yourself be okay without it. Am I understanding that right?
    Not really. If you are engaging in sexual activity, your mind is attached to it.

If something was not controlling you, why would you do it?

If you were okay without it, then why would you do it or be concerned with it?

The Buddha taught there are monks & laypeople. For laypeople, having sexual relations is generally a necessity, otherwise they will burn up with sexual craving.

Sexual craving is a natural element connected to reproductive instinct or mechanisms. If we examine nature, we can see all creatures, human, animal, fish, insects, plants, etc, have sexual craving.

The Buddha encouraged those who need to engage in sexual activity to do so in ways that minimise harm & lead to the development of social & spiritual virtues.

The Buddha's teachings of non-attachment are not really related to sex.

Kind regards

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Making love is beautiful and wholesome. When your are making love, completely make love. What kind of practice avoids healthy function? How can making love hurt practice if you dont engage in sexual misconduct? What kind of awakening requires you to be a eunuch? Monks and nuns make their choice. Thats one choice. It isnt the measure of all.
  • edited January 2010
    No offense to anyone intended - but in my view making love can be surrounded with romantic nonsense and attachment - its a release of sexual tension which produces fluids rather like blowing one's nose. The biological purpose of sex is to produce offspring in humans just as it is in animals. All the mental delight/anguish and fantasy is added on through mental proliferations.

I've had a husband in the past (now dead) and plenty of fantastic sexual encounters - but sex itself is just a desire which is satisfied (or not).
    One can also still have very loving, lasting and meaningful relationships with others without body fluids being involved.

edited January 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    No offense to anyone intended - but in my view making love can be surrounded with romantic nonsense and attachment - its a release of sexual tension which produces fluids rather like blowing one's nose. The biological purpose of sex is to produce offspring in humans just as it is in animals. All the mental delight/anguish and fantasy is added on through mental proliferations.

I've had a husband in the past (now dead) and plenty of fantastic sexual encounters - but sex itself is just a desire which is satisfied (or not).
    One can also still have very loving, lasting and meaningful relationships with others without body fluids being involved.

Bet your great in the sack! :lol: .

Sex can be a digusting pustule of a timewaster, or a very healthy and wholesome, and wholistic, part of life. It depends on you. Buddhist dont have to be the anti-sex league.
    edited January 2010
    What kind of awakening requires you to be a eunuch?
    Richard

How would you know the answer if you have not tried it?

Personally, I am not sure what kind of "awakening" you are referring to?

There is an awakening that passes through every mental emotion, especially the most primal of fear, loneliness and the feeling of death.

This is the awakening into viveka or perfect aloneness. Viveka = Nibbana

edited January 2010
    What a narcissic vouyeristic response! An old man still obsessed with sex, projecting or imposing their lust upon an unknown other.

:o
    edited January 2010
    What a narcissic vouyeristic response! An old man still obsessed with sex.

:o
    OLD!!? :lol: I'm 45, married 20 years, with a healthy love life. Thats hilarious... dirty dirty sex ooooh.
    edited January 2010
    OLD!!? :lol: I'm 45, married 20 years, with a healthy love life. Thats hilarious... dirty dirty sex ooooh.
    Richard

Your sex life is your business. But to cynically say to another "I bet you're great in the sack"....nothing to do with dirty dirty sex.

Just a statement of our life's priorities and how we view & relate to & objectify others....

edited January 2010
    Richard

How would you know the answer if you have not tried it?

Personally, I am not sure what kind of "awakening" you are referring to?

There is an awakening that passes through every mental emotion, especially the most primal of fear, loneliness and the feeling of death.

This is the awakening into viveka or perfect aloneness. Viveka = Nibbana

Not one that involves kissing the world and and its cares goodbye. Talk about narcissistic.:D Sublime narcissim.
    edited January 2010
    Richard

Your sex life is your business. But to cynically say to another "I bet your great in the sack"....nothing to do with dirty dirty sex.

Just a statement of our life's priorities and how we view & relate to others....

That was a joke buddy.
    edited January 2010
    That was a joke buddy.
    OK. But it was a bad & distasteful joke.

edited January 2010
    OLD!!? :lol: I'm 45, married 20 years, with a healthy love life.
    Sorry. I imagined that was a picture of yourself in the photo. If so, pretty old looking 45 year old.

:lol:
    edited January 2010
    OK. But it was a bad & distasteful joke.

Ok. I apologize if I offended. .....its just that comparing sex to a sneeze tickled my funny bone.
    edited January 2010
    Sorry. I imagined that was a picture of yourself in the photo. If so, pretty old looking 45 year old.

:lol:
    But handsome no? ..... only kidding again only kidding.
  • edited January 2010

What an extremely coarse and unnecessary comment to make !

.... and I bet you're not matey ! :lol:

edited January 2010
    Not even better than a sneeze? :lol: I'm sorry I just found that really funny, in an innocent way..... honest. I take it aaaall back.

No disrespect dazzle.

terribly unenlightend:dunce:
  • edited January 2010
    I didn't say 'sneeze' Richard. I said blowing one's nose. Thinking that was funny didn't warrant making a sexual comment to me.

However I accept your apology - but you must quite rightly stay in the self appointed, unenlightened drivelling bloke corner for the moment. :)

edited January 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    I didn't say 'sneeze' Richard. I said blowing one's nose. Thinking that was funny didn't warrant making a sexual comment to me.

However I accept your apology - but you must quite rightly stay in the self appointed, unenlightened drivelling bloke corner for the moment. :)

Ok I'm happy to be that.
    edited January 2010
    On a serious note... this does opens up a challenging subject. Sex and Buddhism. Buddhist Sex. I have seen sophisticated, mature people who are not prudes, (a few who are psychotherapists!) flush at the very mention of this subject in a buddhist context. There is an obvious reason to not discuss such matters around monks or nuns. But for others the question is an important one. I personally believe that a healthy marriage for instance includes sexual intamacy. Others dont and thats fine. No right and wrong here, but for those who do the question of how to keep practice in a sexual relationship is a good topic to discuss.
    edited January 2010
    2hzrcya.gif2urwbjm.gif
  • edited January 2010
    ^ What is that smiley doing? Haha
  • edited January 2010
    What has anything to do with masculine orthodoxy?

In world religions, I think lots.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Hello everyone,
    I am very new to Buddhism. I have been studying it off and on for about two years now--very casually. Today I was reading different websites and came across this:

A core teaching of Buddhism is the Buddha's Eightfold Path.
    <!--msthemelist--><table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <!--msthemelist--><tbody><tr><td width="42" valign="baseline">topbul1d.gif</td><td width="100%" valign="top">The second of the eight steps is called Samma sankappa: right thinking or right resolve. It has been stated as:<!--msthemelist--></td></tr> <!--msthemelist--></tbody></table>
    "You must renounce the pleasures of the senses; you must harbor no ill will toward anyone, and harm no living creature." <sub></sub>
    When applied to sexual behavior, this step would seem to imply that one must:
    Engage in no pleasurable activities at all, including both masturbation and sexual pursuits with another person.

Why is this considered bad?

Thank you,
    Amanda

It came from this site: http://www.religioustolerance.org

The best advice I can give is to NOT read too much. Experience is the best teacher you can have. A lot of newbies go right to the written stuff. In western society we are taught that because of books like the bible. Go out and take a walk in a park. Sit down, close your eyes, and listen.
  • edited February 2010
    What happens if after meditating for a long time and becoming more interested in buddhist philosophies, you find that you have a greater sense of contentment in your life and lessening desire, which also results in a lessening of your sexual desire? Obviously this probably wouldn't be a problem for someone who wasn't already in a sexual relationship, but for someone who was... I'm not sure what the right thing to do would be then. You could be true to yourself, but then this would most likely cause suffering (sexual frustration) to your partner, and eventually the relationship too.

I'm not sure if people ever actually find this to be a problem, but I can see how it could be, potentially. After reading this thread I just started to ponder about it.
    edited February 2010
    nuageux wrote: »
    What happens if after meditating for a long time and becoming more interested in buddhist philosophies, you find that you have a greater sense of contentment in your life and lessening desire, which also results in a lessening of your sexual desire? Obviously this probably wouldn't be a problem for someone who wasn't already in a sexual relationship, but for someone who was... I'm not sure what the right thing to do would be then. You could be true to yourself, but then this would most likely cause suffering (sexual frustration) to your partner, and eventually the relationship too.

I'm not sure if people ever actually find this to be a problem, but I can see how it could be, potentially. After reading this thread I just started to ponder about it.

If you honestly do not feel a sexual relationship with your partner, then you would have to be honest . If your partner loves you and is committed there can be accomodations. Insincere sexuality is more harmful than whatever comes of your honesty.
  • edited February 2010
    Not really. If you are engaging in sexual activity, your mind is attached to it.

If something was not controlling you, why would you do it?

If you were okay without it, then why would you do it or be concerned with it?

I don't really understand this line of reasoning. Are you saying it is impossible to do something without it controlling you or being attached to it? By this logic, are we not then controlled by food whenever we eat, no matter how attached or unattached we are to the eating itself? I'm not sure I agree, I think it is possible to take action without necessarily being attached to the action or the outcome.
    edited February 2010
    epicurio wrote: »
    I don't really understand this line of reasoning. Are you saying it is impossible to do something without it controlling you or being attached to it? By this logic, are we not then controlled by food whenever we eat, no matter how attached or unattached we are to the eating itself? I'm not sure I agree, I think it is possible to take action without necessarily being attached to the action or the outcome.

Just curious, are you an Epicurean?
  • edited February 2010
    Just curious, are you an Epicurean?

Heh, I don't call myself an Epicurean, but I would say I have been influenced by the philosophy. While Epicureanism is often defined as a hedonistic philosophy, it is actually closer to the middle path of Buddhism than either extreme of self-mortification/self-indulgence. Epicurus was devoted to overcoming stress and anxiety in this life in order to reach a state of tranquility, in a manner similar to the Buddha's devotion to eliminating suffering.

Where I think the difference arises is that Epicureanism is a more "complete" philosophy in the sense of defining a theory of metaphysics, epistemology, ontology, ethics, etc. while Buddhism considers everything secondary in the face of the problem of suffering and the goal of the cessation of suffering. Reflecting this singularity of focus, the Buddha understood much more completely than Epicurus did how suffering arises and how it can be ended.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    nuageux wrote: »

I don't think this need be a problem. People change over the course of a relationship whether they're practicing Buddhism or not. It's only natural that a person's sexual appetite will vary over time. You know the old saying about if a newly married couple put a bean in a jar every time they consummated the marriage in the first year and then took one out of the jar every time after the first year the jar would never get empty! If it's a healthy relationship I think it would work itself out naturally. And I do think that one's sexual desire does decline as one's practice deepens. That's only natural as well.

Palzang
  • edited February 2010
    Hi everyone. I have read through these things, and this is just what i have taken from it and my personal experience:

Buddha taught selflessness (non-selfishness). I think sex or my desire for sex for my own pleasure stems from just that, the desire for my own pleasure, and it comes down to craving/selfishness. But sex in, say, a committed relationship, where I am not having sex to please myself, but to please my wife/partner/whatever is a more correct way to look at sexual desire. And in seeking to please my wife and make her happy, i too am pleased and made happy. When we have the desire for our own self, then often times when we can't get sex, we are not content, we are suffering. But if we can eliminate the selfish desire behind it, and embrace the loving (devotion to another) aspect of it, it becomes something more wholesome, more fulfilling. And when it is understood in this way, it becomes not sexual desire, for that is gone, but it becomes the devotion to enriching someone else's experience of life, which enriches our own, and maybe others' through this understanding in a less direct way as well.

Note: I still have the selfish part of sexual desire from time to time, so that may be a sign that my understanding is not yet fully correct or right. But this is how i feel currently :)

Thanks to everyone who posted their views on this, and thanks for taking the time to read my current understanding of it.