Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is the United States really THAT bad??

2»

Comments

• ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I hate only George Bush. I love American Buddhists.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Don't 'HATE' George Bush.... hate the things he represents....!
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited September 2005
    god bless america and the world
    comparing my country and america is like heaven and earth(or hell?),imho if you are born in the usa,it means you have good karma in your previous life.
    what i feel sorry for is the restriction of immigration law since 9/11,my friend must go back here cause he was afraid of being caught,he worked as an illegal worker in a restaurant.He doesnt want to be american citizen,he just wants to earn a few dollars more
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    imho if you are born in the usa,it means you have good karma in your previous life.

Not, I fear, if you are poor, Black or unemployed, as today's UN report shows: infant mortality, for example, has been rising since 2000 and is now equal to that of Malaysia.
  • edited September 2005
    In a recent news broadcast on a British news channel, it was reported that the Rev Jesse Jackson said that on visiting the Football stadium in new Orleans that "it was like looking inside the Hull of a slave ship".

What do you guys think of this statement? was it constructive? or likely to increase racial tension....it was a very powerful statement!

Do statements like this help or hinder?
  • edited September 2005
    Found this little ditty on Michael Moore's website

Friday, September 2nd, 2005
    Vacation is Over... an open letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush

Friday, September 2nd, 2005

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING -- to do with this!

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit.

Yours,

Michael Moore
    MMFlint@aol.com
    www.MichaelMoore.com

P.S. That annoying mother, Cindy Sheehan, is no longer at your ranch. She and dozens of other relatives of the Iraqi War dead are now driving across the country, stopping in many cities along the way. Maybe you can catch up with them before they get to DC on September 21st.
  • edited September 2005
    Well, I would say that is not a constructive statement and is probably going to cause more racial tension. There is already a good amount of racial tension over the New Orleans issue. I guess I would like to know why Rev Jesse Jackson felt the need to say that.

My husband and I were watching "Real Time with Bill Mar" the other night and they were showing photographs of people in New Orleans. The first photo they showed was of a young black man with a sack of groceries under his arm and a case of soda, and he was wading through the water. And the caption said "Young man wades through water after looting a store". Then the next picture, they show two white people, also with a sack of groceries wading through water and the caption said "A young couple wading through the water after finding food". I was so dissappointed when I saw those photos and their captions. And here I thought this was the year 2005.
  • edited September 2005
    I really like Michael Moore. :) I am waiting for the day for him to be shot, though! He really has some big balls!
  • edited September 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    I hate only George Bush. I love American Buddhists.

What about Non-Buddhists? Do you hate those people?
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited September 2005
    WE are Usians. Not just Americans. This whole side of the world is america. And most of it is very poor. The United States and Canada have most of the comorts. A little bit of Mexico but not much.
  • edited September 2005
    I for one, Believe it is time to stop this blame game and Racial Intensions. The people of New orleans, No matter who they are need help. Along with all the animals that have been left. This devisation will take years to overcome. And all this political garbage they are playing is only distracting from what really must be done.
  • edited September 2005
    I agree completely. Like Abraham said earlier, help the people and animals now, and worry about the rest of the "garbage" later!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Hahahaha, you can sure tell he's from Michigan. Gotta love that sarcasm!

Anyone from Flint has big balls. Flint is like mini-Detroit.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Well, I dunno. When I was in France, we met this really cool police (gendarmerie) guy at the Tour de France. (That was cool, too--allez, Lance!) My classmates and I asked if he'd ever been to the States, and he said yes. He also said that he liked the US better than France and he would like to move here.
    I was TOTALLY not expecting that one. Jacques, or Jackie as we affectionately called our newfound friend (he didn't mind), said that once he got to know a few Americans, we weren't ALL bad. And the food was pretty--I kid you not--"kicka**." (Thank you, MTV.)
    So I guess what I'm trying to say is, not everyone thinks we're idiots, or something like that. But it is kinda embarassing when patriotism gets out of control. Who can judge whether or not we're the best nation? No one has that authority. I think that some extremely overzealous Americans could stand to learn a few good points about other countries before they get such a big head. Every country has merits and faults. :p
  • edited September 2005
    trust me...................... yes!!!! the U.S. is bad!!!!!!!!!!! i won't say anymore so the government doesn't lock me up forever, oh.. oh my god!! the FBI!! RUN!!! :hiding: this is what happens after they find you!! :zombie: :rarr: :zombie: :eekblue: :zombie:
  • edited September 2005
    America makes it hard not to hate some of the things they do. And i hate hating stuff :-/

Can't speak for all of Britian but the people i've met really don't like what Bush does, even if Blair does.
    edited September 2005
    Ain't that the truth, my Florin friend!
  • edited September 2005
    twobitbob wrote:
    Can't speak for all of Britian but the people i've met really don't like what Bush does, even if Blair does.

Yea, well, most of the people in the US don't like what Bush does either!
    edited September 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    Yea, well, most of the people in the US don't like what Bush does either!

This is why we're not calling for air strikes on Turtle Island - yet! LOL
  • edited September 2005
    yes we do............. we really don't like bush.......... i don't want the government to shut us down as terrorists so i won't criticise bush too much. :zombie: :zombie: :mullet:
  • edited September 2005
    LOL, Simon thank you for not calling air strikes on us, I think Brother Wind and Sister Water are doing enough right now.
  • edited September 2005
    A lot of Americans on this forum have talked about how hard it has been for them to say to their family and others that they're buddhist - is it really that bad?
  • edited September 2005
    MoonLgt wrote:
    LOL, Simon thank you for not calling air strikes on us, I think Brother Wind and Sister Water are doing enough right now.

No kidding. I can't believe that another hurricane is about to hit.
  • edited September 2005
    twobitbob wrote:
    A lot of Americans on this forum have talked about how hard it has been for them to say to their family and others that they're buddhist - is it really that bad?

Yes, it can be very difficult. Some of my family members are Christian and some are Catholic (I am the youngest of 6 children and we were reaised Catholic), and when my mom came to visit, I spoke to her about how I was studying buddhism and she gave me a very strange look. And a while back, I told my mom I wasn't so sure that I believed in God and then I started getting ALL these emails and comments from a brother of mine. So I am not sure if my mom told him that I am studying Buddhism now, but he hasn't said anything to me yet. But it's not nearly as hard for me as it is for others to tell their family members that they are studying a different religion than what they were brought up with.

So is that just an "American" thing?? I would think that would be worldwide!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    It's astounding to think that in a country so "young", attitudes are so firmly entrenched and unflinching.... I'm greatly generalising here, so forgive me, but The USA as a whole has, by and large, a very recent history.... but so much has happened in the space of 400 years.... It seems as though life has accelerated to make up for lost time.... Yet conversely, when I look at the attitudes I have met in the UK, which has a longer 'constructive' history, I find people to be far more relaxed.... perhaps the USA is just so much more intense... it's "larger than life" and lives life to the extreme....

France.... well, France is another whole kettle of fish....!!
  • edited September 2005
    YogaMama wrote:

So is that just an "American" thing?? I would think that would be worldwide!

Dunno. My mum just said 'oh', and started buying me buddhist calenders for christmas.
    My dad said 'as long as I don't have to do anything'. And my Grandmother ( a devout Roman Catholic) said 'it's all the same'.
  • edited September 2005
    Consider yourself VERY lucky! :)
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2005
    I have a lot of british friends, and I've found that in general, the english (as with many things) are much more relaxed about religion than their american counterparts. See, americans have a need to feel like a part of something so badly, that when they do grab onto something they hang on for dear life. It is like that with everything - we are a very intense culture. So a family, as a whole, is intense about their religion (which in our country is overwhelmingly christian). And when a wayward son comes in and claims that it is all bunk and he is 'out', they tend to freak a little bit.

Yes, it is difficult for us.

I would say that it is no more difficult for us than for, say, a muslim in singapore, or a catholic in mexico. The british just happen to be a very relaxed people ;)
  • edited September 2005
    well i still havent told anyone in my family.......... so i'm no well of knowlegde on this part. :mullet:
    edited September 2005
    The british just happen to be a very relaxed people
    We just don't like to make a fuss!

And an English person, on the whole, sees religion as a personal matter, and, as with all personal matters, instinctively to be avoided.

I think it's the result of centuries of assimilating religions. The pre-Roman deities quickly Romanised, then became Saints. The few people at the top may have argued about religion, and even killed for it, but the ordinary Brit, with one sacred place in the town or village, lived through the changes and adapted. After all, a village feast is still a feast whether in honour of the goddess Sulis, another Sulis called Minerva, Saint Sophia or the school fund!

Perhaps the problem for the US, as has been said, is the intensity of the experience. Our enthusiasm has been worn smooth, by and large. Yours is still all highs and lows. I just hope that we shall have the time to watch some tempering of all this exaggeration.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2005
    This very struggle is one of the core reasons I decided to start this site :)
  • edited September 2005

We just don't like to make a fuss!

And an English person, on the whole, sees religion as a personal matter, and, as with all personal matters, instinctively to be avoided.

I need to move to your country!! :)
  • edited September 2005
    you said it man.......... :mullet:
  • edited September 2005
    twobitbob wrote:

Yes. But it's not like Buddhism is specifically criticized here. All in all, I think a lot of people here look positively on Asian Buddhists - perhaps too much. I don't say that because I have anything against Asian Buddhists, but I realize that even "positive" stereotypes can be damaging. For instance, on Answerbag.com someone asked about the pros and cons of Buddhism and someone answered by going on about how Buddhists are calmer and live longer because they don't consume so many free radicals!

As for us Buddhists of European ancestry, the general stereotype is that we are all just hippie nut-jobs going through a phase. Granted, it's better than "tool of Satan" (though some even think that).

In both cases, there's a lot of ignorance about Buddhism, but on the other hand few seem to know enough to object. We're seen as harmless.

Of course, if you're an atheist like I am you're a threat to society itself, the spawn of Satan, and completely unpatriotic.

As far as Christian family members are concerned, among the stronger believers it is believed that it is their duty to ensure that get the unbelievers among them to repent and go to heaven. Some of it comes from a sadness at the idea that they might not see their loved ones in heavens, for others it is a reflection on their own influence. My mother's wondering where she went wrong because she thinks I'm a non-church-going Protestant.
    edited September 2005
    Thus have I heard:

A young novice was brought to Mother Superior after only 6 months in the convent, asking to leave and go back into the world.

"And what do you intend to do in the world," asked the venerable Abbess.

"I want to be a prostitute," announced the novice.

Mother Superior faints away and, on being brought round, asks the girl to repeat what she said. On hearting the word "prostitute", the elderly nun crossed herself and gave thanks:
    "Thanks be to God and His Blessed Mother," she whispered. "I thought you said Protestant."