Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How can BUDDHISTS not be VEGETARIAN?

124»

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I agree. :-) However, the situation with some people goes like this. When they find out that their actions are supporting the creation of suffering and killing, there is a natural tendency to not want to contribute to it, which arises from compassion of course. For example: I know that if I go to the local supermarket and buy *ANYTHING*, I know that suffering and killing had to take place in order for *WHATEVER-I-BOUGHT* to be in the supermarket to begin with, because no sentient being enjoys being killed. So the intentional act of purchasing *ANYTHING* becomes equivalent and synonymous to intentional support for the killing, which, because it is intentional support for killing, is a violation of the precept of no killing and creates karma.

Also, for people who see it this way, the act of not changing their behavior becomes an intentional act because the natural compassionate response is to change it to alleviate suffering and when one does not change that behavior, that also becomes an intentional act, which violates the precepts and creates karma. Does any of that make sense? LOL :)
    And that's another view.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    And that's another view.

And there is a HUGE difference between the two because one is impractical and totally unreasonable while the other is not.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    And there is a HUGE difference between the two because one is impractical and totally unreasonable while the other is not.

:lol: This seems unbalanced.
    edited May 2010
    aMatt wrote: »

How so?
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited May 2010
    When you buy vegetables knowing that many animals are killed in the cultivation and harvesting of those vegetables does this not make you culpable for those deaths? You are, afterall, supporting an industry which results in the deaths of millions by its methods.
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Whatever walk of life you choose, things die.

All the best,
    Jellybean
    edited May 2010
    Indeed. At the moment I'm eating peanut butter toast, and I'm wondering how many beings suffered or died in order for me to enjoy this.
    edited May 2010
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    When you buy vegetables knowing that many animals are killed in the cultivation and harvesting of those vegetables does this not make you culpable for those deaths? You are, afterall, supporting an industry which results in the deaths of millions by its methods.

Of course it does. But the alternative is to starve to death, which is impractical and totally unreasonable. Nor is it consistent with "the middle way" that the Buddha spoke about. Ahimsa has been translated as "doing no harm". But, doing no harm is impossible, as you have pointed out. Therefore, the practical application of Anhimsa is minimizing harm. I think it's obvious that harvesting meat causes more harm than harvesting vegetables.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I think it's obvious that harvesting meat causes more harm than harvesting vegetables.

Is it?

I hope you're growing your own crops, to minimize the harm that comes from harvesting your veggies.
    edited May 2010
    Yes it is. A carrot does not scream when you cut it's head off. I do not grow my own crops because that would be impractical and unreasonable because of where I live and also not consistent with the middle way...
    edited May 2010
    Yes it is. A carrot does not scream when you cut it's head off.

Does a rabbit scream when it gets caught up in a harvester combine?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Yes it is. A carrot does not scream when you cut it's head off.
    What about the thousands of bugs and little animals that get poisoned to keep them out of the crops, pulverized by machinery in harvesting, ran over and splattered on windshields in transportation...?
    I do not grow my own crops because that would be impractical and unreasonable because of where I live and also not consistent with the middle way...
    :lol:

Ok, but absolutely refraining from meat no matter what the circumstances even when killing happens no matter what you eat is the "middle way."

I dare say it would be better, would cause less suffering, to go hunting or fishing for yourself, or even buy some meat from your local butcher, than buying only vegetables that grew in crops showered in pesticides and had to be transported half way across the country to get to your plate... I dunno, I'm just doing what I think's best, too. :) Don't assume it's for lack of caring and compassion, though, or that your path is "more Buddhist" than everyone else's. :)
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Valtiel wrote: »
    I dare say it would be better, would cause less suffering, to go hunting or fishing for yourself, or even buy some meat from your local butcher, than buying only vegetables that grew in crops showered in pesticides and had to be transported half way across the country to get to your plate... I dunno, I'm just doing what I think's best, too. :) Don't assume it's for lack of caring and compassion, though, or that your path is "more Buddhist" than everyone else's. :)
    how much crop do you think a cow need to grow to adult size?
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I don't know. Cows shouldn't be eating all sorts of crap anyway. So when fed properly, we'd have to take into account the lack of death by transportation and aggressive harvesting. Oh, and think of all the variables we haven't accounted for! :eek: And could the world sustain an entirely vegan human population? :eek:

Incidentally, who do you know that hunts their own cows? :wtf:

I dunno, I'm just doing what I think's best, too. Don't assume it's for lack of caring and compassion, though, or that your path is "more Buddhist" than everyone else's. Wait, why do I feel like I've said this before? Why must the veggies push, push, push?
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    How so?

I have found some humor in myself, when I find my perceptions to be different than my girlfriends. If I notice I'm thinking like a prat, I say:

"There are obviously two opinions here. There is the one which is humble, accurate, absolutely full of rich wisdom and precise clarity... and then there is yours."

We both laugh, because obviously, when I am convinced her perceptions are unreasonable it is ridiculous and unbalanced. Its rigid thinking, and blinds me.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited May 2010
    Indeed. At the moment I'm eating peanut butter toast, and I'm wondering how many beings suffered or died in order for me to enjoy this.
    With metta
    There is this aspects of affinity on vegetarianism of moderation in Buddhism for learner like most of Buddhist - the exception; prohibition; maintenance and break. For the above scenario, it is in the category of exception. Although vegetarianism is not entirely about the attainment of Buddhism, but it greatly assist on the ascending to the various levels of heavenly beings. Besides, we are also doing our part to help earth a nicer place to live in acknowledgement from Jainism, International vegetarian organisation, Buddhism, animals themselves0help help me :D among others.
    edited May 2010
    What about the thousands of bugs and little animals that get poisoned to keep them out of the crops, pulverized by machinery in harvesting, ran over and splattered on windshields in transportation...?
    Takeahnase wrote: »
    Does a rabbit scream when it gets caught up in a harvester combine?

Yes it does. However, when you take that harvested crop and feed it to a cow to make meat, you end up with rabbits screaming and cows screaming. Whereas in the first scenario you only have rabbits screaming. So when you take that crop and feed it to a cow, the amount of suffering is increased, because 2 is greater than 1 obviously.

Then one has to take into account the suffering that is created for the people that work at the slaughterhouse. The Buddha said that karma is created only when the act is intentional. The people that work at the slaughterhouse most certainly are doing the killing intentionally thereby adding to the increase of suffering in the above scenario even more. Then you have to take into account the additional crops that need to be harvested to feed animals as opposed to people the add additional screaming rabbits into that equation, which increases the suffering even further. And the suffering that is created by the detrimental effects of intensive animal agriculture on the environment still have to be added to that equation, which increases it even further. Then there is also the effects on the people who consume the food. Nobody's mother has ever died of a heart attack or stroke from eating broccoli and apples. Now hamburgers, that is another story. The act of converting crops to meat increases the amount of suffering taking place exponentially.
    Don't assume it's for lack of caring and compassion, though, or that your path is "more Buddhist" than everyone else's.:)
    I don't because it's personal choice and I don't pass judgment on it.:) But, discussing the truth of the matter is not the same as judging IMO, although some people perceive it as such unfortunately.
  • edited May 2010
    How much suffering is caused by judging others and creating conflict?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    As is almost always the case, threads on vegetarianism/non-vegetariansim descend into the realms of "I'm a far better Buddhist than you are, because...."

They end up going round and round in circles, and I think everything that could be said has now been said.

The bottom line is, we should all agree to differ.

Thanks to all those who have taken part.
This discussion has been closed.