Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Buddha - a PBS Special

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Today
I did a search on PBS and did not get anything so I wanted to make sure that you are aware of a great show that I'm very much looking forward to.

The Buddha - a Film by David Grubin

Premiering April 7, 2010 at 8 p.m. (check local listings)

A Film by David Grubin

http://www.pbs.org/thebuddha/education-pilgrimage/

Comments

• edited March 2010
    I read about that in the latest issue of Shambhala Sun. It looks good and I definitely want to see it.

Since I don't have a TV, has anyone heard inklings if PBS might be steaming it online or iTunes or amazon Unbox might have it available for renting?
  • edited March 2010
    mwbworld wrote: »
    I read about that in the latest issue of Shambhala Sun. It looks good and I definitely want to see it.

Since I don't have a TV, has anyone heard inklings if PBS might be steaming it online or iTunes or amazon Unbox might have it available for renting?

Well they will have the dvd for sale so I'm sure it will become available for rental somewhere soon...
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Federica has merged the threads now....
    The Buddha, A Film by David Grubin

Premiering April 7, 2010 at 8 p.m. EST (check local listings)
    This documentary for PBS by award-winning filmmaker David Grubin and narrated by Richard Gere, tells the story of the Buddha’s life, a journey especially relevant to our own bewildering times of violent change and spiritual confusion. It features the work of some of the world’s greatest artists and sculptors, who across two millennia, have depicted the Buddha’s life in art rich in beauty and complexity. Hear insights into the ancient narrative by contemporary Buddhists, including Pulitzer Prize winning poet W.S. Merwin and His Holiness the Dalai Lama. Join the conversation and learn more about meditation, the history of Buddhism, and how to incorporate the Buddha’s teachings on compassion and mindfulness into daily life.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Ah, I knew I probably should have checked the other forums, lol! Well since yours was posted first, maybe the moderators can delete this one... or merge them somehow?

Mod.note:

Done!!
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I watched the preview video on the PBS site and it looks artistically very beautiful. I'm hoping the content matches the visuals/music in impact as I've found PBS's more recent documentaries somewhat lacking in depth. I am hopeful, though, because it includes some very good "talking heads" like W.S. Merwin and Pema Chodron.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I reckon there's a good chance they won't show it in Charlotte. I hope the rest of you can enjoy it.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Looks wonderful. Unfortunately I won't be able to watch it as it airs, don't have anything other than a PS3 hooked up to my tv. Looks like I'll be adding it to my Netflix queue.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Thanks for merging it, Federica!

I've just watched a few other videos on the site and I'm really looking forward to this. Hopefully everyone who wants to has the opportunity to see it on air or DVD.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Last night PBS ran a preview - looks good, I'm going to watch it. The show will air on Wednesday April 7 at 8:00 Eastern Time, 7:00 central on PBS.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    And some preview videos have been posted:

http://video.pbs.org/video/1418075805/
  • edited April 2010
    I'm definitely going to watch this one. Might have to tape it, too.
  • edited April 2010
    BUMP!

Just a friendly reminder to all, try not to miss it. It premieres tonight but as you know PBS repeats shows like this a few times. I'm excited about it and hope to have my wife and two teenage sons (16 & 18) watch it with me.

I don't speak much about Buddhism with them but I figure if we share the time as a family PBS will do all the talking for me.

Hope you enjoy it.

Ivan
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited April 2010
    What did everyone think?

I got to see about the first hour and then had to go pick up my brother from the train station, but what I saw of it was very good. I enjoyed how they used the story of Siddhartha to illustrate how the Buddha's message is applicable to the everyday act of living. I also liked the fact that they didn't shy away from the mythology because it is some really beautiful stuff. You don't need to believe it to benefit from the power of the story and the poetic nature of the cosmology.

Luckily, my PBS station is re-airing it tomorrow afternoon so I'll have a chance to see the whole thing.
  • edited April 2010
    Hi Glow, why don't you tape it when it airs again... I for one plan to watch it more than once.

It was beautiful. Sadly I had great plans to watch it with my wife and kids but it all fell apart, usual yelling attitudes etc... is sure is an example of being attached to anything even emotions and then being dissapointed.

Still, I skirted the "tension" in the house, even paused the show (since I had taped it) went with my wife to get gas so she could vent about or teenagers, then came back and went into our spare room to watch it by myself.

I don't want to preach, so I don't want to push them into watching. but I for one enjoyed it a lot.

It was very informative and simply beautiful. As it is, I stopped by a used bookstore and picked up a few excellent books on Buddhism earlier today with some fabulous artwork.

I like your point about mysticism etc... like the show says nobody really knows how much is true\accurate about the life of Buddha, but does it really matter? I for one have been moved about everything I have read so far, and true or not, It has changed my life.

Unlike Christianity (not to knock it but...) which mandates that you believe or else etc...

Anyway, I loved the show and recomend it to anyone who is interested or simply curious about Buddha
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Good idea Olarte. It does warrant more than one viewing. I'll give more fleshed out thoughts once I watch. Sorry to hear your plans to watch it with your family fell through. But with 16-18 year old boys, it's not surprising, lol. Teenagers will be teenagers.
  • edited April 2010
    thanks Glow, yes I know. and it was a perfect lesson in being attached to hopes and such. I simply took a deep breath, accepted the fact, and watched the program by myself. i also realized that the kids won't be interested as while it's a great program it's good only if one is curious about the life of Buddha.

If you miss taping it I'm sure it will be available for rental, as its being sold over the usual channels.

Have a wonderful day!
    ivan
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I watched it, and liked it. The first hour was pretty much taken up with the life of the Buddha, his birth, his discovery of suffering, his journey to discover the end to suffering, and his awakening. It was well done, and presented in an interesting and entertaining manner. It was accented by comments from poets, an astrophysicist, and other scholars.

The second hour focused more on the Buddha's teachings. I liked this section best. Overall, a great introduction to the Buddha and Buddhism. Didn't focus on any particular tradition or teaching to any depth. I had not slept much the night before, so was fighting sleep, and the desire to nod off. I will definitely watch this again. I understand that a DVD is available from PBS.org, so may even purchase that.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I remember when I read the novel of Siddhartha that there was a part when he visited his adult/young adult son. And a lot of interesting dialogue happened between them. This seemed like a relevant part of Siddhartha's story, but I did not see this played out on this program. It just left me wondering why they left it out.

The program left me feeling like he abandoned his wife and child for no good reason. And did he really atone? I don't think you should ever turn your back on your wife and child that want/need you there, but those are just my personal views.
  • edited April 2010
    don't forget that the Novel Siddhartha by Herman Hesse is a fictional account of the life of Buddha, and they even point that out in the audio book that I have of it. so it is not meant to depict it accurately.
    edited April 2010
    I remember when I read the novel of Siddhartha that there was a part when he visited his adult/young adult son. And a lot of interesting dialogue happened between them. This seemed like a relevant part of Siddhartha's story, but I did not see this played out on this program. It just left me wondering why they left it out.

The program left me feeling like he abandoned his wife and child for no good reason. And did he really atone? I don't think you should ever turn your back on your wife and child that want/need you there, but those are just my personal views.

True, they also made no mention that his wife and son became students (as the story goes).
  • edited April 2010
    Yes I forgot about that part. it was sad, and I too was puzzled why he left his wife and child. At that moment I was glad my wife was not watching it after all, I don't want her to start worrying that I'll go to such extremes.

After all Buddha did the hard work for us, it's up to us know to follow our own path based on his findings. No need for us to abandon family or try asceticism ;)
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hesse's Siddhartha is actually not about Siddhartha Gautama (the man who would become the Buddha) but about a new character who just happens to also be named Siddhartha. However, I think Mr. Serenity might be talking about another novel altogether, because I don't remember that part in Hesse's book. The 29-year-old Siddartha leaving his wife and son (whom he had named "fetter") is one aspect of the Buddha story that, I think, will always remain somewhat incomprehensible and strange to us Westerners. Even knowing that becoming a renunciant was more common in those days and that the wife and child would be well provided for, it still strikes us as somewhat of a betrayal or abandonment of responsibility. But I did like that they mentioned Siddhartha remembering them again after his time with the ascetics. That was quite touching.

I just watched the whole thing. The Dalai Lama's contributions I felt didn't add very much. I think there were some other possible less-well-known interviewees that could have been more insightful: Jack Kornfield, Gil Fronsdal, Thich Nhat Hanh, Jon Kabat-Zinn, etc. I did appreciate the viewpoints of the two poets in particular, W.S. Merwin and Jane Hirshfield, especially Hirshfield. She managed to articulate the teaching and the story of the Buddha's life in a wonderful way that was neither overly pedantic or overly simplistic. Her contributions were probably my favorite throughout the program. I also liked the young monk Metteyya Sakyaputta and the Columbia professor Max Moerman.

I also loved seeing echoes of the Buddha's world today in the footage of modern-day ascetics, Vedic priests and of Lumbini, Deer Park and Bodh Gaya. The animation work was incredibly beautiful. I loved the impressionistic aspect of them; the echoes of ancient Indian art as well as the symbolic representations of the Buddha's words themselves. I liked the depiction of the night of the Buddha's enlightenment with the arrival of the armies of Mara, the illustration of the sitar analogy and the fire sermon. The music was also interesting. Not quite Indian, not quite Western. It gave the whole documentary a meditative quality.
  • edited April 2010
    I watched it live and DVR'd it. I thought it was wonderful, and I will watch it again. I may even by the DVD to have. I also liked the insights by the poets and scholars a lot, will have to research some of them. :)
  • edited April 2010
    Glow your review is very good, I agree except for your dissapointment in HHDL"s contributions. I think what he said was good, and I maybe it's good as he is so enigmatic it would have detracted from the story?

Jane Hirshfield was simply beautiful with her sincerity and understanding.

I had to watch it in pieces and just finished the last part, which brought tears to my eyes.

I'm very new to Buddhism, yet It feels like home and like I've been thinking, questioning and walking in my path my whole life.

It touched me when they talked about Buddha's suffering loosing his mother as a baby etc... for you see, I lost my mother to a stroke followed by years where she did not recognize anyone until she died. This happened to me at the age of 9 just as I had emigrated to the US.

There are many more events in my life that taught me to keep a lit flame within me lit and protected from the suffering that I felt.

Sadly I, my sister (4 years older than me) suffered to the point that she took her own life back in 2007. I was very angry with her for bailing out, until recently.

Recently, I realized that I no longer needed to keep the little boy protected inside anymore, and let him now, I felt liberated and started following my spiritual path with focus and motivation and this has led me to Buddhism.

By now I have lost both of my parents, my sister, and recently my dear mother in law who was a mother to me for the last 21 years!

I now understand my sister's suffering and no longer feel any resentment only sorrow.

And with Buddha's teachings I now see that I'm not alone that we all suffer in life.

I now feel sorrow instead of anger for my sons when they do some of the things they do, or for the people I meet who are angry, and confused like I was for so long.

Anyway, This documentary was wonderful and it touched me deeply!

ivan
  • edited April 2010
    I did like the program, however am a bit disappointed in the way somethings were portrayed. For example the way Mara and his army of demons was a scary looking monster. I felt it could have given more context around the mysticism. My only issue with this is that a person new to, or just curious about Buddhism might be turned away. This would be especially true if you are someone not agreeing with some of Christianities principals of heavan and hell. The way Mara was portrayed was far to much like the devil to me rather than a metaphor of clinging and desire that I personally feel the message was intended.

I did like the program overall. I just think too many people have misconceptions about what Buddhism is and parts of this program did not help.
    edited April 2010

Thanks, Floating Abu for the link. Very Interesting.

I must say, Serenity and Olarte, that I simply cannot see the ethical problems you seem to be raising about the Buddha abandoning his wife and small child. They were left well provided for. If anything, the point of the legend (and it IS legend) is that the Lord Buddha renounced the pleasures of this world for the sake of spiritual pilgrimmage. I think the point of this aspect of the legend was that he gave up one of the chief joys in life in leaving his beautiful princess and the baby prince behind. (What a noble sacrifice!) He did not leave them destitute.

Again, you must be using the values of your own culture to judge someone from a very different culture remote in time, distance, and conceptual-linguistic bearing. Doing so can never render fair appraisal. It's a lot less appropriate than trying to account for the size of helium balloons by measuring their weight. Sorry, wrong form of measurement; best pull out a tape-measure instead.

They did show the piece in Charlotte, afterall! (Billy Graham country) Nice for those not knowing anything about Buddha or Buddha Dharma!
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Welcome, Nirvana.

Funny, was just thinking about you and Kris, and srivajaya (sic) last night. Sad that those two folk are no longer here, such a nice bunch of people, reasoned, reasonable, mature and wise.

Namaste.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Rellims wrote: »
    I did like the program, however am a bit disappointed in the way somethings were portrayed. For example the way Mara and his army of demons was a scary looking monster. I felt it could have given more context around the mysticism. My only issue with this is that a person new to, or just curious about Buddhism might be turned away. This would be especially true if you are someone not agreeing with some of Christianities principals of heavan and hell. The way Mara was portrayed was far to much like the devil to me rather than a metaphor of clinging and desire that I personally feel the message was intended.

I did like the program overall. I just think too many people have misconceptions about what Buddhism is and parts of this program did not help.
    Well, the thing is, Mara as a literal demon-god is part of Buddhism and has been for most of its history. If you look at traditional depictions of Mara, they look pretty similar to what was presented in the documentary. I actually appreciated that they did not try to water down this aspect of Buddhism in an attempt to appeal to disillusioned refugees from Judaism or Christianity. For many people who practice Buddhism all around the world, Mara is much more than a metaphor. These people actually believe in Mara as the literal embodiment of the three mental poisons.

Actually, W.S. Merwin (one of the interviewees) made the point you are making: in Buddhism, it doesn't matter if you believe these stories literally or metaphorically. Some people need to believe in literal demons and devas and others need to see them as metaphors. So long as you can use them to inform you on your path, it doesn't matter.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Olarte wrote: »
    Glow your review is very good, I agree except for your dissapointment in HHDL"s contributions. I think what he said was good, and I maybe it's good as he is so enigmatic it would have detracted from the story?

Jane Hirshfield was simply beautiful with her sincerity and understanding.

I had to watch it in pieces and just finished the last part, which brought tears to my eyes.

I'm very new to Buddhism, yet It feels like home and like I've been thinking, questioning and walking in my path my whole life.

It touched me when they talked about Buddha's suffering loosing his mother as a baby etc... for you see, I lost my mother to a stroke followed by years where she did not recognize anyone until she died. This happened to me at the age of 9 just as I had emigrated to the US.

There are many more events in my life that taught me to keep a lit flame within me lit and protected from the suffering that I felt.

Sadly I, my sister (4 years older than me) suffered to the point that she took her own life back in 2007. I was very angry with her for bailing out, until recently.

Recently, I realized that I no longer needed to keep the little boy protected inside anymore, and let him now, I felt liberated and started following my spiritual path with focus and motivation and this has led me to Buddhism.

By now I have lost both of my parents, my sister, and recently my dear mother in law who was a mother to me for the last 21 years!

I now understand my sister's suffering and no longer feel any resentment only sorrow.

And with Buddha's teachings I now see that I'm not alone that we all suffer in life.

I now feel sorrow instead of anger for my sons when they do some of the things they do, or for the people I meet who are angry, and confused like I was for so long.

Anyway, This documentary was wonderful and it touched me deeply!

ivan
    Hi Ivan, your story, filled with heartbreak and pain as it is, is a wonderful illustration of the relevance of this 2,500 year old religion. It's amazing how changing the way we think about suffering itself can be so transformative. It sounds like your sons are going through a period that is pretty much a rite of passage these days -- I myself went through it. Part of it involved engaging in destructive as opposed to constructive behaviors, but so long as you let them know your door is always open to them, I'm sure they'll turn out fine.
  • edited April 2010
    sorry Nirvana but I think you are misunderstanding or "judging" my comments in error.

I did not say it was unethical, or that I did not understand it, In fact having been married for 20 years (happily for most I must add), I can see and understand as you said leaving "one of the chief joys in life in leaving his beautiful princess and the baby prince behind. "(What a noble sacrifice!) He did not leave them destitute" was a sacrifice etc... that it was a sacrifice etc, I felt sad because I cannot imagine doing such a thing to my wife. Also because she is so supportive of my journey, I'm just glad she did not see this part, (because she IS so understanding and suppportive) as I would not want her to worry even for a Milsecond of such a thing.

It was sad yet I can see that he had to do what he had to do. We all have our journeys, and paths to follow whether we know it or not, whether we ar Buddhists or not. I have followed my own way for as long as I can remember and I'm just glad that my particular journey does not include such a though as leaving the mother of my children, my soulmate, and my best friend for the least 21 years!

all I meant is that i was a very sad moment for me to think of such a thing, being so happily married and all. talk about sacrifice! :eek:

Nirvana wrote: »
    Thanks, Floating Abu for the link. Very Interesting.

I must say, Serenity and Olarte, that I simply cannot see the ethical problems you seem to be raising about the Buddha abandoning his wife and small child. They were left well provided for. If anything, the point of the legend (and it IS legend) is that the Lord Buddha renounced the pleasures of this world for the sake of spiritual pilgrimmage. I think the point of this aspect of the legend was that he gave up one of the chief joys in life in leaving his beautiful princess and the baby prince behind. (What a noble sacrifice!) He did not leave them destitute.

Again, you must be using the values of your own culture to judge someone from a very different culture remote in time, distance, and conceptual-linguistic bearing. Doing so can never render fair appraisal. It's a lot less appropriate than trying to account for the size of helium balloons by measuring their weight. Sorry, wrong form of measurement; best pull out a tape-measure instead.

They did show the piece in Charlotte, afterall! (Billy Graham country) Nice for those not knowing anything about Buddha or Buddha Dharma!
  • edited April 2010
    I have taped the documentary but I just looked at the DVD info and see some great extras. Hopefully they are not too short.

the dvd and blu-ray will be released on April 27th and the lowest I've seen it is for 17 and 20 at deepdiscountdvd I will definitely be picking up a copy.

Here is the description of the DVD\Blu-ray. I don't think there is any extra on the Blu-ray except for higher resolution which in this case is well worth it due to the beautiful art work and photography of the film.

"The United States, primarily a Judeo-Christian nation until recently, now encompasses theological groups relatively unknown in the early days of the republic. Buddhism -- the world's fourth largest religion after Christianity, Islam and Hinduism -- has been steadily gaining adherents in America.
    THE BUDDHA, a two-hour documentary from Emmy Award winner David Grubin, relates the life of the Indian sage who famously gained enlightenment as he sat beneath a fig tree two-and-a-half millennia ago. This film tells the Buddha's story through painting and sculptures by some of the world's greatest artists and tracks his biography across the sweeping landscapes of northern India.

The testimony of contemporary Buddhists, from Pulitzer Prize-winning poet W.S. Merwin to the Dalai Lama, provide insight into the ancient narrative of the man who never claimed to be God or God's emissary, but merely a human being who, in a world of unavoidable pain and suffering, had achieved a serenity that others, too, could find.

This documentary tells the story of his life, a journey especially relevant in our own times.

Richard Gere narrates this two-hour documentary.

Directed and produced by multiple Emmy Award-winning producer David Grubin (The Jewish Americans, American Experience's: RFK, and LBJ, and Abraham and Mary Lincoln: A House Divided.

Extras include:
    Interview with David Grubin;
    Interview with His Holiness the Dalai Lama;
    Making Animation for The Buddha; and
    Buddhist Pilgrimage Sites. "
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Glow wrote: »
    Well, the thing is, Mara as a literal demon-god is part of Buddhism and has been for most of its history. If you look at traditional depictions of Mara, they look pretty similar to what was presented in the documentary. I actually appreciated that they did not try to water down this aspect of Buddhism in an attempt to appeal to disillusioned refugees from Judaism or Christianity. For many people who practice Buddhism all around the world, Mara is much more than a metaphor. These people actually believe in Mara as the literal embodiment of the three mental poisons.

It's true that in some cases, Mara is portrayed as an actual being who apparently considers himself the head of the kamavacara world. Nevertheless, looking at the texts more critically, it's evident that in most contexts Mara is used in reference to death or to the mental defilements of greed, hatred and delusion.

In regard to the story of the Buddha being assailed by the hosts of Mara under the Bodhi tree, for example, G. P. Malalasekera's entry in the Dictionary of Pali Names states:
    That this account of the Buddha's struggle with Māra is literally true, none but the most ignorant of the Buddhists believe, even at the present day. The Buddhist point of view has been well expressed by Rhys Davids (Article on Buddha in the Ency. Brit.). We are to understand by the attack of Mara's forces, that all the Buddha's
    "old temptations came back upon him with renewed force. For years he had looked at all earthly good through the medium of a philosophy which had taught him that it, without exception, carried within itself the seeds of bitterness and was altogether worthless and impermanent; but now, to his wavering faith, the sweet delights of home and love, the charms of wealth and power, began to show themselves in a different light and glow again with attractive colours. He doubted and agonized in his doubt, but as the sun set, the religious side of his nature had won the victory and seems to have come out even purified from the struggle."

There is no need to ask, as does Thomas, with apparently great suspicion (Thomas, op. cit., 230), whether we can assume that the elaborators of the Mara story were recording "a subjective experience under the form of an objective reality," and did they know or think that this was the real psychological experience which the Buddha went through? The living traditions of the Buddhist countries supply the adequate answer, without the aid of the rationalists. The epic nature of the subject gave ample scope for the elaboration so dear to the hearts of the Pali rhapsodists.

As for the earthquake after Mara's defeat, to me this represents the the fact that Buddha's enlightenment was a stupendous, earth shaking event, not that the earth actually moved. A lot of people tend to take these poetic allegories literally, but I'm not one of them. This is partially due to the nature of ancient Indian literature itself, which was full of allegory and symbolism.

I'll admit that when I first began studying the Suttas, I tended to take everything literally; but now, I've learned how to "read between the lines" as they say.
    edited April 2010

You make a good point there, Nirvy, but I still say that leaving your family in the middle of the night seems like kind of a dickish thing to do.

Having a family is a responsibility, and just because someone else is there to support your wife and child doesn't mean that it's OK to just up and leave them. Sure, his intentions were noble, and I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision for him to make, but I can understand if other people have trouble seeing this as a noble act.
    edited April 2010
    What did everyone think?

Honestly, I thought it was a bit cheesy and watered down, but I still enjoyed it for the most part.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    It's true that in some cases, Mara is portrayed as an actual being who apparently considers himself the head of the kamavacara world. Nevertheless, looking at the texts more critically, it's evident that in most contexts Mara is used in reference to death or to the mental defilements of greed, hatred and delusion.

In regard to the story of the Buddha being assailed by the hosts of Mara under the Bodhi tree, for example, G. P. Malalasekera's entry in the Dictionary of Pali Names states:
    That this account of the Buddha's struggle with Māra is literally true, none but the most ignorant of the Buddhists believe, even at the present day. The Buddhist point of view has been well expressed by Rhys Davids (Article on Buddha in the Ency. Brit.). We are to understand by the attack of Mara's forces, that all the Buddha's
    "old temptations came back upon him with renewed force. For years he had looked at all earthly good through the medium of a philosophy which had taught him that it, without exception, carried within itself the seeds of bitterness and was altogether worthless and impermanent; but now, to his wavering faith, the sweet delights of home and love, the charms of wealth and power, began to show themselves in a different light and glow again with attractive colours. He doubted and agonized in his doubt, but as the sun set, the religious side of his nature had won the victory and seems to have come out even purified from the struggle."
    There is no need to ask, as does Thomas, with apparently great suspicion (Thomas, op. cit., 230), whether we can assume that the elaborators of the Mara story were recording "a subjective experience under the form of an objective reality," and did they know or think that this was the real psychological experience which the Buddha went through? The living traditions of the Buddhist countries supply the adequate answer, without the aid of the rationalists. The epic nature of the subject gave ample scope for the elaboration so dear to the hearts of the Pali rhapsodists.
    As for the earthquake after Mara's defeat, to me this represents the the fact that Buddha's enlightenment was a stupendous, earth shaking event, not that the earth actually moved. A lot of people tend to take these poetic allegories literally, but I'm not one of them. This is partially due to the nature of ancient Indian literature itself, which was full of allegory and symbolism.

I'll admit that when I first began studying the Suttas, I tended to take everything literally; but now, I've learned how to "read between the lines" as they say.
    Thanks for that, Jason. Very interesting. I personally read the stories as allegory as well although, the way the Suttas are written has always suggested to me that perhaps people took these stories literally. I grew up in a Hindu household and the interpretation of the literature of that culture was quite literal. For example, most of the Hindus I knew literally believed that Krishna, the embodiment of God, spoke to Arjuna at Kurukshetra and thus took pilgrimage there. It's an interesting integration of the supernatural with the mundane.
    edited April 2010
    You make a good point there, Nirvy, but I still say that leaving your family in the middle of the night seems like kind of a dickish thing to do.

Now, we're not sure that's exactly what happened... for all you know there were days or weeks of discussion (unreported) that took place before he eventually decided one night to leave. That was 2500 years ago... my God, his teachings, much less his life story, weren't even written down till 500 years after his death, so how can we "judge" whether his actions were "dickish". Get a grip my man!
    edited April 2010
    Namastate, Floating Abu! Always good to see your posts.

Esteemed Olarte, I am glad you are not troubled by Buddha's leaving his family. In a different thread some months ago this subject was also broached. Anybody remember where? Anyhow, it amazes me how people keep alluding to this matter. In India there is a long tradition of men going to live in the forest after they have discharged all the duties towards their families. This is an exalted thing to do even in today's culture among people of traditional values. Now Buddha simply had the resources in place to leave his family behind while still young, healthy, and strong enough to undergo all that he had to undergo. That is simply how the whole thing was made possible. The Legend Requireth Things to Be in Place.

If one were to contrast Buddha with Karl Marx (two men who arguably were interested in "saving the world") one would find Buddha's behavior responsible and Marx's totally irresponsible. The Marx family would have starved left to the actions of Marx alone. It's a good things friends intervened with their help.

Perhaps the jury hasn't had quite enough time to come in with a verdict on how much good Marx brought into the world, but as of now it seems like his writings have brought more harm. Another Londoner of his time, Charles Dickens, through his stories did much more to better the lot of the poor around the world. Dickens humanized us where Marx deified the works of our hands, as it were.

We are simply in no position to judge the decisions of Gautama Buddha —a man so far removed in time and "shape" (culture and language) from ours— because he chose to put the dictates of his conscience above emotional and sentimental values. However, I'm not so sure that Marx and Dickens lived so long ago or were immersed in cultures so unlike ours that we should feel so incompetent to pass judgment there.

Again, I repeat, this IS a Legend. It is by no means the basis for taking a snapshot.

As Legend, the story is crafted in such a way as to make the protagonist look very heroic and noble. It may not have happened that way at all, but the shapers of the Legend crafted a story glorifying aspects that they considered positively commendable or even superhuman. They would not have included elements in the narrative if they thought those elements would create stumbling blocks.

Metta
    edited April 2010
    LesC wrote: »
    Now, we're not sure that's exactly what happened... for all you know there were days or weeks of discussion (unreported) that took place before he eventually decided one night to leave. That was 2500 years ago... my God, his teachings, much less his life story, weren't even written down till 500 years after his death, so how can we "judge" whether his actions were "dickish". Get a grip my man!

You're right, Les, sorry for having an opinion. I don't know what came over me. :rolleyes: But in my defense, at least notice that I said "seems like kind of a dickish thing to do," not that it necessarily was.
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for that, Jason. Very interesting. I personally read the stories as allegory as well although, the way the Suttas are written has always suggested to me that perhaps people took these stories literally. I grew up in a Hindu household and the interpretation of the literature of that culture was quite literal. For example, most of the Hindus I knew literally believed that Krishna, the embodiment of God, spoke to Arjuna at Kurukshetra and thus took pilgrimage there. It's an interesting integration of the supernatural with the mundane.

For good or ill, I think that's true with most religious literature. My approach to ancient literature has recently been to try and put things into context, understand the symbolism, etc. Even so, I'm not saying people in ancient Indian didn't believe in "supernatural" concepts, or that I don't for that matter, but I do think that not everything is meant to be taken literally.

In The Celestial Key to the Vedas, for example, B. G. Sidharth notes that the Mahabharata "refers to an old lady who spins a fabric with 360 black threads and 360 white threads while a white horse stands by. The old lady is of course time. The black and white threads are night and day, and the white horse is the Sun. Incidentally, the origin of this symbolism is in the Vedic hymns of the Rig Veda. (1.64)" (53).

Of course there are myths and superstitions involved in allegories such as this, but I imagine that this would make complete sense to an ancient Indian, whereas we might not make the connections right away. The point I was trying to make is that one can't simply assume every word is meant to be taken literally in Indian literature, or any other for that matter, which so heavily utilizes allegory and symbolism. It's easy to judge ancient cultures by our modern scientific standards, but I think that this is a mistake if and when we don't understand the subtleties of a particular culture because a lot can get lost in translation.

In the end, I think that there are many places in the Pali Canon where we can adopt a metaphorical interpretation of things that seem superstitious in nature. One can certainly have the view that ancient beliefs and myths are nothing but superstition, but it's just as probable that people simply didn't know how to express certain ideas or experiences in any other way. Who knows. I'm just offering one possible explanation.
    edited April 2010
    We are simply in no position to judge the decisions of Gautama Buddha —a man so far removed in time and "shape" (culture and language) from ours— because he chose to put the dictates of his conscience above emotional and sentimental values. However, I'm not so sure that Marx and Dickens lived so long ago or were immersed in cultures so unlike ours that we should feel so incompetent to pass judgment there.

I disagree. For one thing, the idea of putting conscience above "emotional and sentimental values" is something that we can still relate to today, so it's not like this is some sort of foreign concept lost to antiquity. Furthermore, we all have the ability to study ancient Indian culture, history and literature — just as we do the culture, history and literature of 19th century Eurpoe — so I fail to see this as some sort of impenetrable barrier to making value judgments. I think it's more a question of perspective than ability.

Value judgments, by their very nature, are fairly subjective and influenced by personal biases, which is why two people can find the same act to be noble and dickish. So you're right to point out that this particular story is "crafted in such a way as to make the protagonist look very heroic and noble," which most likely reflects the values of the story's author(s), who were probably renunciates themselves.

This also explains why the act seems kind of dickish to me, because my own father left my mother and I just before I was born, but that in and of itself doesn't invalidate my opinion, it simply clarifies where I'm coming from. Sure, my father's reasons probably weren't as noble as the Buddha's, but even if they were, I doubt that the unhappiness of not having a father would have been any less, which is why I said I can understand if other people have trouble seeing this as a noble act.
    edited April 2010
    Well, esteemed Jason, in this case I don't think you've come up with one of the most "thought-provoking ointment-related replies around." :) [Gosh, I love your provocative signature, though "I don't really get it."]

Leaving a child behind in a palace to be raised is not such a bad thing to do to a child. Better than staying behind as a boorish or unfriendly parent, I tend to think.

You speak of your Father leaving. Sometimes that's all a man can do, when chips are down (when that's the case). He simply cannot bear the humiliation. The woman will do anything for her children, but men can be very weak indeed. I, of course, know nothing of your Father's situation, but am a firm believer in the dictums:

To know all is to forgive all. (?)
    Nothing human is foreign to me. (Terence)

It's a far worse thing, in my opinion, to stay around and be emotionally abusive. I'm one of nine born in twelve years and my experience speaks loudly on this matter. Sometimes a higher love just says good-bye and doth not cling.

Interesting discussion.
    edited April 2010
    Leaving a child behind in a palace to be raised is not such a bad thing to do to a child. Better than staying behind as a boorish or unfriendly parent, I tend to think.

Are you implying that Buddha would have been a "boorish" or "unfriendly" parent? ;) No, I see what you're saying, but that doesn't mean it's "right" either. Remember, we're talking about value judgments here.
    You speak of your Father leaving. Sometimes that's all a man can do, when chips are down (when that's the case). He simply cannot bear the humiliation. The woman will do anything for her children, but men can be very weak indeed.

Hm, this seems like a rather poor justification for men to abandon their children to me, especially since I know at least two people who are in the opposite situation, i.e., the mother leaving the father with the burden of raising their children.
    I, of course, know nothing of your Father's situation, but am a firm believer in the dictums:

To know all is to forgive all. (?)
    Nothing human is foreign to me. (Terence)

It's a far worse thing, in my opinion, to stay around and be emotionally abusive. I'm one of nine born in twelve years and my experience speaks loudly on this matter. Sometimes a higher love just says good-bye and doth not cling.

Which, I think, just goes to prove my point. You know nothing of my father and yet you still feel competent enough to make a type of value judgment (that sometimes it's better for a father to leave), just as I never knew the Buddha yet still feel competent enough to express how I can understand if other people have trouble seeing his leaving as a noble act.

The way we see things is often influenced by our personal biases and experiences as much as knowledge of the subject itself, and when it comes to value judgments, who's to say that one person's opinion is more valid than another's?
    edited April 2010
    Remember, we're talking about value judgments here.
    We are? I thought my point was that we ought not to subscribe too heavily to our own judgments in cases such as these, Jason. Our values, of course, remain, but that does not entitle us to render verdicts on all others. We simply are not equipped for that.
    The way we see things is often influenced by our personal biases and experiences as much as knowledge of the subject itself, and when it comes to value judgments, who's to say that one person's opinion is more valid than another's?

Nobody. But it would not necessarily follow from that premiss, I think, that there's no reason to put more light on the subject so at least the context is better understood. Opinions are like earlobes in that everyone has one, but reality is quite another thing. The fact that people make choices in life is not to be lamented but embraced.

I just cannot conceive of Buddha as anything other than pure Being spreading kind and nourishing thoughts to all other beings, including his own dear wife and child. I am unable to see anything but genuine holiness (beauty) and pure intention there.
    edited April 2010
    We are?

Well, I am.
    I thought my point was that we ought not to subscribe too heavily to our own judgments in cases such as these, Jason. Our values, of course, remain, but that does not entitle us to render verdicts on all others. We simply are not equipped for that.

I understand, and I never said that we should rely heavily on our judgments, only that we have them and that they are influenced by our personal biases and experiences as much as knowledge of the subject itself, which makes it hard to say that one person's opinion is more valid than another's.
    Nobody. But it would not necessarily follow from that premiss, I think, that there's no reason to put more light on the subject so at least the context is better understood. Opinions are like earlobes in that everyone has one, but reality is quite another thing. The fact that people make choices in life is not to be lamented but embraced.

Of course, and for my part I feel that I have a reasonable amount of knowledge concerning the Buddha's life — as well as ancient Indian culture — to form an opinion on the matter, one that more or less agrees with yours. Where we disagree is that I also think that leaving your family in the middle of the night seems like kind of a dickish thing to do, which is a value judgment on my part. Sure, the Buddha might have had pure and noble intentions, but I don't think that makes the act itself particularly pure or noble. It was just something he felt he had to do.
    I just cannot conceive of Buddha as anything other than pure Being spreading kind and nourishing thoughts to all other beings, including his own dear wife and child. I am unable to see anything but genuine holiness (beauty) and pure intention there.

I can't conceive of the Buddha as anything other than a great debater, philosopher, teacher and all around human being, but that doesn't mean I think he was perfect either.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The story of Prince Siddhartha leaving his beloved wife and son is not so difficult to understand, I think. He loved them deeply, and he left them because of his deep love for them. He realized that no matter how much he loved them and tried to protect them and care for them that in time they would grow old, become sick, and die. He could not live with that. It was his love for his family and indeed for all sentient beings that was aroused when he left the palace and saw what suffering was about that drove his search to find the answer to suffering. He didn't "abandon" them; he offered them liberation, and us as well.

I always remember what Lama Norbu said to Jesse's father in Little Buddha when they were talking about the book he had given to Jesse about the life of the Buddha. He said, "It's one way of telling the truth." I think it should be taken just like that. Whether it's "true" or not is ultimately irrelevant, for what is true anyway? Samsara is all a dream. How can it be "true" or "not true"?

Palzang
    edited April 2010

Having a family is a responsibility, and just because someone else is there to support your wife and child doesn't mean that it's OK to just up and leave them. Sure, his intentions were noble, and I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision for him to make, but I can understand if other people have trouble seeing this as a noble act.

When Prince Siddhartha left the castle, he was not yet a Fully Awakened Buddha, the Cometh One of this age.

Even then, regardless -- it is hard to judge or understand another without being them - without really being them, living their lives, their experiences, their thoughts, emotions, troubles and concerns.

Who knows what runneth through his mind, what the real circumstances of his life and environment were. It can be fine that we choose to speculate, and even choose to judge, but I think it may be too much to not recognise that we are just passing our own judgement of what could be a situation and circumstance we do not truly understand - unless we too were Prince Siddartha at that time.

_/\_
    edited April 2010
    PS honestly folks enjoy the show - isn't that enough? :D
  • edited April 2010
    just finished watching it (WAS WATching 2001 a space odyssey while it recorded on air-timme)e) & WAS PRETTY inspiring, nice little sandwich of a story, made my feet shiver, shiver with delight, cause actually i was getting these itchinesses all over my feet, but i did not scratch the little pockets of itchinesses, and they felt so good just itching themselves or whatever the hell they were doing... it must have been buddha himself itching me. a grand story. i love the most of all that sid named his son fetter. jason's right, he was a bit of a dick. haHA
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Perhaps you should try some cortisone cream! :D And btw, Rahula (Buddha's son's name) does not actually mean "fetter", despite stories to the contrary. It has to do with an eclipse of the moon (probably at his birth), which was thought to be caused by the snake, Rahu.

Palzang