Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How to demonstrate the existence of Karma

2»

Comments

• Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I used to like being different, but then a week ago I said 'I'm sick of being different'. And that wasn't something you're likely to hear me say. I do like being different, but not left out... :confused:
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Even if I am different, I'm somewhat accepted in any circle. Now, my friends from my block(I lived 16 years in the capital, Bucharest,now I live in the countr-side) still miss me , and want me to visit them more often.:D
    I remembered a gypsie proverb :" Every one is in the middle of the circle, and no one is at the end of it(border,limit)."
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Being a buddhist now, I have to answer questions about karma, rebirth, Buddha and so on. One day , I battled an atheist and I lost because I don't know how to demonstarte the existence of karma. Now, I know( say like feel it) that karma is omnipresent and omnipotent and such.
    But how can I demonstrate it's existence ? Any ideas ?
    Karma is easy to demonstrate. Prison.

But rebirth is not possible. The atheist will devour you each time.

:)
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    hello Nomad,

Why do you believe in Karma?

Perhaps because every monks talk about this? Because it is written that the Buddha talked about this?

The Buddha advised to not believe anything anyone told you, even what the Buddha himself told you.
    Perhaps if you investigate by yourself, you may find the answer to all of your questions?
    edited April 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    hello Nomad,

Why do you believe in Karma?

Perhaps because every monks talk about this? Because it is written that the Buddha talked about this?

The Buddha advised to not believe anything anyone told you, even what the Buddha himself told you.
    Perhaps if you investigate by yourself, you may find the answer to all of your questions?

I started to believe in karma after some things that really opened my eyes, and from then I started to believe in the existence of karma.
    About hearing this concept from the monks, well, in Romania there are virtually only Christian Orthodox monks, who consider Buddha, and the concept of karma something heretical.
    So, I found out about karma on my own.

As to not belive in anything that flies, trust me , I don't really believe in the existence of a personal God, and for that, my girlfriend gave me a big Ignore on the messenger list.
    edited April 2010
    Karma is easy to demonstrate. Prison.

But rebirth is not possible. The atheist will devour you each time.

:)

Prison ?? Tell me more, if you will...:D
    edited April 2010
    If someone battled my beliefs I'd just say 'each to their own'. I'm Unitarian Universalist and I have a pretty open-minded view of all belief systems. I'm not really that religious. I'm pretty close to Buddhism but I believe karma, rebirth, realms, all that, is metaphorical. I believe the bible's metaphorical too. I think everything you hear has a different meaning and should be taken with a good pinch of salt.

Love & Peace
    Jellybean
    edited April 2010
    I know that. But in my own country if I have the courage to say that I don't really believe in a God, or in other words , to say that I'm an agnostic, then people will treat me like an enemy. This is what happened when I told my girlfriend (the one I try so hard to forget) that "I'm a buddhist rapper who wants peace" . Buddhist meaning agnostic, as I tried to explain her if we have a God or no...
    edited April 2010
    Eek! I didn't know where you live was so religious! You wouldn't want to be dating somebody so close-minded anyway... Surely you can't be the only non-christian?...
    edited April 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    Eek! I didn't know where you live was so religious! You wouldn't want to be dating somebody so close-minded anyway... Surely you can't be the only non-christian?...

Well, I was born Christian, but after a conflict with atheists, I converted to Buddhism ( this is just one cause of why I converted).
    But in my country, the vast majority of Christians are close-minded and have a Dark Age's mentality regarding non-christians, like me.

And, no, I'm not the only non-christian in my country. The rest of them (especially the girls) are way too older than I am. And on top of that, my gues is that they don't look to date to a Regular Joe (like me).
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I started to believe in karma after some things that really opened my eyes,
    so this should be your answer.
    Since it isn't, since you are seeking a different answer, it mean that you are not convinced by your own findings.
    and from then I started to believe in the existence of karma.
    So perhaps instead of believing in karma like one believe in god, you might just want to stay open about the possibility of the existance of karma, and continue your investigation.
    So, I found out about karma on my own.
    You seem to have found information about karma on your own.
    Like reading books about Bhuddism, you will find much information, but until you meditate and experience these things for yourself, all of this information will remain intellectual concepts.
  • edited April 2010
    Kamma/Karma isn't difficult if you stop thinking it's different from what we already know. Kamma merely represents the conditions, either those we have no control over or those we do. Kamma therefore is "cause" when it affects things; when it is a reason for change.

Dependent Origination (Arising) is the mechanism by which Kamma affects things, thus creating the "cause and effect" as explained by our science. However we differentiate between the types of Kamma so that we can identify how *our* Kamma specifically, whether skillful or unskillful, affects ourselves and others.
    edited April 2010
    Regular Joe? Are you aware of name? :wtf: :D

Love & Peace
    Jellybean J**
    edited April 2010
    I thought regular Joe meant average person in the street...
    edited April 2010
    Don't worry, there's a small posibility of me improbably forgiving you in many, many years to come :p
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Being a buddhist now, I have to answer questions about karma, rebirth, Buddha and so on. One day , I battled an atheist and I lost because I don't know how to demonstarte the existence of karma. Now, I know( say like feel it) that karma is omnipresent and omnipotent and such.
    But how can I demonstrate it's existence ? Any ideas ?

Don't fight the logic battle. Karma is everywhere although maybe not as imagined _/\_