Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism in ONE SENTENCE.

edited November 2010 in Philosophy
I know there is the 'Buddha's teaching in 5 words' thread, but I feel like that is too strict of a limitation. However, I also want a simple and concise explanation. So who thinks they can summarize the aim of Buddhism in just one sentence? GIVE IT A TRY!

I saw someone else say-

"Suffering can be overcome and that true happiness and contentment are possible lf we let go of our craving and learn to live each day one at a time (not dwelling in the past or the imagined future) then we can become happy and free."

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    The Buddha's already done it:
    "I come to teach the origin of suffering and the cessation of suffering."

I think it would be quite hard to top that one!:D
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited April 2010
    "If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice." Oh wait that was Jim Croce. LOL

"come with me if you want to stop suffering." I like that one.
  • edited April 2010
    "Realize that change/impermanence is the only universal constant, and work toward eradication of the delusion of Self and all that supports it."
  • edited April 2010
    The Path of Selflessness,in which one progressively eradicates "self"-ishness in every situations of every moment
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited April 2010
    SHIT HAPPENS!
  • edited April 2010
    siddharta wrote: »
    The Path of Selflessness,in which one progressively eradicates "self"-ishness in every situations of every moment

Very apt indeed, because buddhism stands unique in the the world's religions with the "anatta" doctrine. :)
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited April 2010
    "Do good, avoid evil and purify your mind."
  • edited April 2010
    Buddha Nature is; and you as an ego self are not.

Neither is,
    S9 ; ^ (
  • edited April 2010
    Calm mind, calm speech, calm action, and sublime wisdom will set you free.
  • edited April 2010
    Let me try :

"Noble Eightfold Paths is the Buddha-recommended remedy for Four Noble Truths."

Such short sentence, I'm sure, takes us more than the whole life this life to study and fully understand natural laws before we're able to experience the state of Nibanna.

It also took Prince Siddhartha Gautama presumably millions of reincarnated lives before he's able enough to decipher the subject being discussed.
  • edited April 2010
    A man found the ultimate truth, you can too .
  • edited April 2010
    A better way to put it? Emptiness and Codependent Arising are two sides of the same coin, transcendental Buddha-nature.
  • edited April 2010
    Kurra,

I like your sentence, because it introduces something beyond the coin toss of finitude.

; ^ )

Here is another you might enjoy:

Gautama “Woke Up” to his Buddha Nature, which is outside of this dreaming ‘ego’ mind, and so can you.”

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited April 2010
    non-violence
  • edited April 2010
    Walk a path that is free of heavy burdens,so when you reach the end your not as tired.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    There is a section in the Majjhima Nikaya where someone approached the Buddha and asked him whether he could summarize his teachings in, one phrase and, if he could, what it would be. The Buddha replied that he could: "Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya". "Sabbe dhamma" means "all things", "nalam" means "should not be", "abhinivesaya" means "to be clung to".

Nothing whatsoever should be clung to

BUDDHADASA BHIKKHU
  • edited April 2010
    Why cling to a dream world, or a dream self, when it only causes suffering?

Why cling to suffering?

Boy, that's the million dollar question. ; ^ )
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2010
    "Its not about having an experience, but knowing whatever experience is present."
  • edited April 2010
    In seeing clearly what is totally impermanent, you will come to see "DIRECTLY" what is not constantly coming and going.
  • edited April 2010
    "You don't exist, the world doesn't exist, nothing exists, and form is ever changing."

• edited April 2010
    The world exists as a dream, (1) supported by what, (2) fueled by what, (3) allowed by what, and (4) where exactly does it takes place?

If there is absolutely no Reality outside of this dream self, which is a big nothing, why all of the concern?

Awareness (Pure Consciousness) is not merely an epiphenomenona, as the Materialists would have us believe.

Faith in a Material Universe, or simply an unsupported Material Process is a huge assumption.

Warm Regards,
    S9
  • edited April 2010
    If you believe something, just because a bunch of other people believe it (a lineage), or because some charismatic guy says it is so, and you do not look directly for yourself, than you are just going along for the ride.

Friendly Regards,
    S9
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The crickets outside are chirping!
  • mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The crickets outside are chirping!
    what's that?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited May 2010
    mettafou wrote: »
    what's that?

Its Buddhism in one sentence! But not anymore because now its daytime and the crickets have stopped chirping.:lol:
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Mahayana Buddhism: "Be kind to your mother(s)"

Theravada Buddhism: "Dukkha sucks, let's be done with it!"
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »
    Its Buddhism in one sentence! But not anymore because now its daytime and the crickets have stopped chirping.:lol:

There are crickets chirping somewhere... :)
  • edited May 2010
    hi Seeker 242,

I'm not this human mind that is chirping like a cricket. ; ^ )

warm regards,
    S9
  • edited May 2010
    One's intrinsic serenity of love
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The Buddha is Life itself
  • edited May 2010
    "Know that you are only a part of the stream of change flowing forth throughout the universe, and conditioned by the karmically-charged engine of Dependent Origination."

Okay, so it's a tad long...
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Work hard to increase the truth, happiness and peace in all things and reduce the delusion, aversion and greed in one's illusionary self.
  • edited June 2010
    "Let go."

Or as you might a hear from the matrix.

"Free your mind, Neo."

:PWNED:
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Buddhism in one word:

Whatever.
  • edited June 2010
    "Words of guidance leading to direct experience of the reality beyond them."

"Ways to see the world, and not to conceive the world."

"To be everything and to be nothing."

There's my three cents. :)

Namaste
  • thug4lyfethug4lyfe Explorer
    edited June 2010
    We can only liberate ourselves by finding our inner buddha nature.
  • edited June 2010
    thug4lyfe wrote: »
    We can only liberate ourselves by finding our inner buddha nature.

What is the nature of this inner buddha nature?
    Why do so many people have trouble "finding" it?
    What about our "selves" do we seek to liberate?
  • edited November 2010
    'Where did I leave my keys?'
  • edited November 2010
    'Meditation brings forth a kind of happiness which excels all others.'
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited November 2010
    It happens,again and again and again.................................:eek:
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited November 2010
    "Hahahahahaha! look! a bird!"
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited November 2010
    The fact that all systems are empty, interconected, imperminent and inevitably negative, coupled with the universal interdependence of all causes and effects, conditions all experience such that its' inevitable negativity can only be removed by striving to understand clearly how reality conditions experience and acting in accordance with this understanding in all aspects of life.
  • edited November 2010
    " "
  • edited November 2010
    Everything that your mind may tell you, no matter how great it may seem, is simply one more part of this dream world.

Dis-identify with this mind, and all of her trappings,

And:

WAKE UP!

Peace and Love,
    S9
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Pay attention!
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I heard one monk some it up as this:

"Practice mindfulness"
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Didn't the Buddha sum it up himself saying?:

"Nothing is to be clung to as I, me or myself?"

or something close
  • sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    edited November 2010
    That is not IT either.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Thread's rebirth leads to bodhicitta (enlightened activity increase) through contemplating.
  • edited November 2010
    Let me share with you, a tiny insight that came to mind while reading Nagarjuna this fine A.M.

“What the Buddha coined as being “Awake” is not so much to be understood, or rather captured in words, but rather to be “apprehended.”

Peace and Love,
    S9/Leslie