Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism in ONE SENTENCE.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    The sleeper must awaken!
  • edited November 2010
    "Fear is the mind killer"

EDIT:
    silmaril wrote: »
    The sleeper must awaken!

lol, or that.
  • edited November 2010
    that depends on the school of buddhism you are referring to. One school would sum it up as being

"all things are impermanent and empty of inherent existence." (that's a quote from the Simpsons actually but it mimics most people's views of Buddhism.

Another school of Buddhism would sum up Buddhism by saying

"whatever form, feelings, perception, experience, and consciousness there is, these he sees to be as suffering, as impermanent, as empty, so he turns his mind/will away from these and gathers his citta within the realm of immortality, that which is most excellent."

Or,

"The tathagatta is without the mark of all things, he dwells upwards within the signless inflexured mind/will, there within, Ananda, dwell with the light as your soul, with the soul as refuge, with none other as refuge."

The first quote fits into the Anatta forms of Buddhism, whereas the second and third quote fit more into what some consider to be original buddhism and what I consider to be most similar to other philosophies concerning the absolute such as Boethius and Plotinus.
  • edited November 2010
    I took this out of a friend’s recent essay, and am posting it here because it explains (very well) what Buddhism is all about, IMO.

“Of what use is a concept, however “True,” unless we can directly touch, and know it, experientially?”

Peace and Love,
    S9/Leslie
  • edited November 2010
    " " i like it. :D

mine: "the truth will set you free, live, love and Be NOW, and i don't care."
  • Wow - I really liked this thread thanks for creating it tim45174. I find pithy phrases really help me to think clearly particularly when I re-express them in my own words.

I think Federica has got it spot on. If I were to rephrase it in my own words I'd say: "The aim of buddhism is to end the suffering created by an untamed (unenlightened) mind".

If I was allowed a 2nd sentence I'd say "The methods of that taming (training) are Buddhist teachings in Ethics, Meditation and Wisdom.

How about starting a new thread, something along the lines of "the Method of Buddhism in 1 sentence", personally I'd be really interested to see what everyone came up with.

Cheers

Sam
    The Buddha's already done it:
    "I come to teach the origin of suffering and the cessation of suffering."

I think it would be quite hard to top that one!:D
  • Who are you?
  • Who me?
    Nobody really just a London based wannabe Buddhist who wants to get his practice together and who is trying to get it clear in his mind what type of life and way of being the Buddha was advocating as the path. Meditation is the obvious aspect but I have read that the foundation is Ethics and all else is built on that.

Thanks for the friendly welcome by the way.

Sam
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Who are you?
    For someone who's only been here 5 minutes that's a pretty "in your face" question...
    Are you thinking Samp is someone (else) in particular?

Welcome Samp. I hope you find something useful - and friendly - here. :)
  • "Who are you?" That isn't directed at anyone. It how I sum up Buddhism in one sentence.

Sorry if I offended.

Much love.
  • "Who are you?" That isn't directed at anyone. It how I sum up Buddhism in one sentence.
    LOL

:)
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited February 2011
    I mean "LOL", that is how I sum up Buddhism in one sentence.
  • All questions lead back to this one question. Who are you?
    It's a beautiful question!
  • Thanks Federica - I'm sure I will find something friendly and useful.

I'm glad folks have got a sense of humour around here!

Sam
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Wasn't laughing about your sentence taiyaki, just laughing about the misunderstanding.
  • edited February 2011
    Buddhism in one sentence? Oh! Okay! No problem. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

"My" Lama said to me, "Beeeeeee HAPPYYYYY! Noooooooooo negative thinking!!"
  • "I am not what arises" that should be sufficient :)
  • Death comes without warning.
  • That which is subject to arising is subject to cessation.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Roxette summed it up pretty well: "Listen to your heart, there's nothing else you can do" :)
  • Gone, gone, gone without remnant and crossed to the other side.
  • live and let live (ahimsa), live and let die (anything that produces suffering)

• There are a lot of sentences in this thread.

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    "Words of guidance leading to direct experience of the reality beyond them."

"Ways to see the world, and not to conceive the world."

"To be everything and to be nothing."

There's my three cents. :)

Namaste
    Those were wonderful, Javelin. :)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Just because you are indispensable to the universe does not mean the universe needs your help.
  • edited February 2011
    "On with the show, this is it!"
    Bugs Bunny
  • Be.
  • Forms is emptiness and emptiness is forms, forms and emptiness are equilibrium :thumbsup:
  • Forms is emptiness and emptiness is forms, forms and emptiness are equilibrium :thumbsup:
    that's more taoist than buddhist...
  • Four sentences from the dhammapada: "Learn to do good. Cease to do evil. Tame the mind. This is the whole of the dharma."
  • The weight of a turtle hair broom is three kilos.
  • eat crap and die (just kidding)
  • Everything is exactly as it seems, nothing more or less.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Loving kindness to EVERYTHING.
  • I Googled it. Below is what I found in a few minutes.

I like the first one. :D

--------------

When I drink tea, I know I am drinking a cloud.

Buddhism is a set of teachings and practices whose aim is the utter elimination of suffering and attainment of complete happiness, achieved through deep insight into the true nature of reality.

Buddhism is the art of being kind and letting go.

Practice non-clinging.

Seeing things as they really are.

I'd say to him/her that it can't be expressed in one sentence, and then ask if she or he really wants to know.

Buddhism is traditionally conceived as a path of liberation attained through insight into the ultimate nature of reality.

Buddhism is the method to awaken oneself as taught by the One who has been awakened.

Dealing with every situation appropriately.

Buddha said, "I teach one thing and one only: suffering and the end of suffering."

Buddhism is where we're going.

All that is subject to arising is subject to cessation.

Stop doing harm, learn to be kind, purify your mind - that is the Buddha's teaching.

• skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited February 2011
    The crickets outside are chirping!
    This is my favorite so far.

Mine is pretty lame but let me try:
    Decrease your suffering by decreasing you craving by practicing skillful view, intention, action, speech, livelihood, effort, concentration and mindfulness.
  • How to end suffering without pills.
  • "All dhammas are mind. Mind correctly seen is Nirvana, misperceived is samsara" <-- or something like that
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    "Life is exactly as fleeting and selfless as it seems, and Buddhism is the mind's path to seeing reality without imposing views upon it."

That's all. Advanced? Nah.
  • it's all very funny.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Stand everywhere and nowhere; believe everything and nothing; attach to nothing; love everything.

It sucks. Oh well. :p
  • Buddhism in one sentence: "This is the cessation of suffering."
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Crack open that beer and smell the flowers.
  • Lol, these are fun and I enjoyed reading them. I think I own a book with little Buddhist quotes. Newbuddhist.com should print a book, and put some of these in it. It could be titled Buddhism in a Sentence: according to a bunch of internet addicts.
  • You are caught in an eternal spin cycle of suffering , so detach from your self and your cravings, be virtuous, have meditation, and use your wisdom to free yourself from this predicament.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Practice mindfulness, experience wisdom, cultivate compassion.
  • There's nothing to do in Nebraska on a rainy day but it stays dry so no one ever gets the chance.
  • “When it comes, don’t try to avoid it; when it goes, don’t run after it.” ~ Ta-mei.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    The entire teaching of Buddhism can be summed up in this way:

Nothing is worth holding on to.

If you let go of everything,
    Objects
    Concepts
    Teachers
    Buddha
    Self
    Senses
    Memories
    Life
    Death
    Freedom
    Let go and all suffering will cease. The world will appear in its pristine self-existing nature, and you will experience the freedom of the Buddha.

- From the book: "Living Dharma: Teachings of Twelve Buddhist Monks", pg.31