Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dishonest people erk me..

edited September 2005 in General Banter
Well guys, There is a really good possiblity that I am not longer going to be a banker. I was on Drive thru Friday, and it was pretty busy. A guy came through and had a check to cash. Well this guy comes through every Friday to cash his payroll check. When I looked at the check I could swear up and down that it said $750.00
Turns out...the check was for $75.00. The guys (boss) handwriting was pretty sloppy, so I cashed the check and gave the guy $750.00. :banghead:

Well, of coarse the guy did not return the money, and when asked about it, he said he never got it. So here I am, over $600.00 dollars short and owing the bank money for a mistake that I made...and someones dishonesty.

I'm up a creek ladies and gentlemen, because I just got a house and am living on my own and now I may not have a job. Look for another you say, I'm sure any other place will hire a person who was fired for shortage of money. *sigh* :grumble:

Any suggestions on how to deal... :-/ :doh:

Comments

• MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited September 2005
    This was a mistake - you are an honest person. Don't forget that.

You entering a period of change, which is often accompanied by pain. But it's also an opportunity to learn about attachment.

Watch yourself and how you react. If the situation in inevitable, then ride it out with grace and good humour. You will land on your feet.

• edited September 2005
    Trust me the price you paid for being honest is far better than what the result would have been if you'd kept it all under your hat...
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Anita,

Sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel any better that happened to me once. When I realized that I had more than I should I returned to the bank and gave back the extra. I also did this at a Rally's well before I became a Buddhist mind you. Perhaps he will have a sudden stroke of kindness and return the money.

If not then I wish you luck in searching for a new job if they decide to let you go. :(

Jason
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Anita, sister on the path,

The bank won't lose a cent, will they! It is such a small mistake. When, many years ago, I had to do an inspection at a branch of the bank where I was working (not for long, thank the Powers), a cashier had given £20 notes in place of £10 for much the same amount. She was thoroughly reprimanded but we knew that she was less likely to do it again than if we sacked her and got someone new. The experience certainly focused here attention.

I hope that your employers are as sensible.

If they are not, then, perhaps, this could be the opportunity you've been waiting for.

BTW, I was sacked from the bank the day after I signed the lease on a new flat! But that's another story.

All my best wishes for whatever outcome ensues.
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited September 2005
    sorry to hear that anita,
    could the bank just cut it from your monthly salary?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    I'm sure the bank will take your previous record into account... if they don't, I'm sure there is some Union or body that will be prepared to listen to your case. To fire an employee takes more than a simple mistake... you either have to have verbal & written warnings, due to a series of occurences, or the misdemeanour has to be both blatant and unambiguous... in other words, they have to be absolutely certain you were really intending to defraud the bank.... these places are insured for this kind of thing... given the amount banks make daily on the interest and charges paid by clients, I hardly think 600 dollars is going to shake them to the foundations... the Chief Executive of your bank probably pays that out for one fine cuban cigar with his cognac....!!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Last edited by *BeautifulSpringtimeFist* : Yesterday at 06:35 PM. Reason: grammar - and I teach english!

Shouldn't the word 'English' have a capital letter....? *LMAO - !!*
  • edited September 2005
    Giving you any advice is somwhat difficult, partly due to the fact that I don't know how long you have been employed for. I suspect that the employment laws in the US are not much different to those of the UK, therefore if you have been employed for 1 year or more, then you have certain rights. It is only usually possible to fire someone who is guilty of gross misconduct ie theft, act of violence, racial abuse etc...you have been guilty of nothing more than making a mistake!

I would hope that if you acknowledge to your supervisor your error and make the offer of paying back the money over a period of time...not too quick...you need to pay your bills, then I believe that they will accept this proposal, indeed they may even refuse your offer of paying the money back....( don't hold your breath ) anyway good luck and my thoughts are with you, chin up and smile :thumbsup:
  • edited September 2005
    Well, they decided to put me on probation, and just count it against me. I will not have to pay it back, yay!
    I
    l'll keep my job, and I won't get a raise at the end of the year.
    I'm thinking I'm going else where anyway. Because obviously banking is not for me!
    Thanks for comments guys! ^_^
  • edited September 2005
    Oh my friend, I wish we did have such rights. Here is a summary of the rights of someone employed in the US:

We (the employer) can fire you at any time, for any reason or no reason. And you (the employee) may quit any time you want.

A little unballanced in favor of the employers, wouldn't you say?