Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Metaphysics / Abhidhamma VS Life Improvement

edited July 2010 in Philosophy
Dear All,

As defined in the dictionary, ''metaphysics'' is the part of philosophy that is concerned with trying to understand and describe the nature of truth, life, and reality. So, let me ask you how the metaphysics / Abhidhamma can improve our life?

This question is actually not mine, but of a business-minded friend (MBA Graduate) of mine who asked me recently following our discussion of Buddhism and reasons to believe.

Yours in Dhamma,
Roath

Comments

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Roath wrote: »
    So, let me ask you how the metaphysics / Abhidhamma can improve our life?
    Perhaps your friend would appreciate truly never getting angry/upset/stressed out etc... true peace and happiness free of suffering of any kind?
  • edited April 2010
    Eventually close to everyone runs into the unanswerable questions of being alive and the nature of the universe. Metaphysics / Abhidhamma is a study of those questions. I am not sure it improves one's life, but if one does not pursue some answers to these questions, their life begins to suffer from avoiding or missing out on the mystery that life presents all of us. Maybe your friend has not gotten to a place yet to pursue the answers to these questions....but i would say it is just a matter of time until they do.
  • edited April 2010
    patbb : I don't really understand what you want to say.

dennis60 : I agree with your idea that my friend has UNFORTUNATELY not gotten to a place yet to pursue the answers to these LIFE LESSON-related questions... just a matter of time until he does.

Thank you all for your responses.
  • edited April 2010
    just speaking for myself, i think anything metaphysical has little or nothing to do with the cessation of suffering. i've always thought of the abhidhamma as scholarship.
    i've said it before, i believe that anything beyond the four noble truths and direct experience are flights of metaphysical fancy. i like what the buddha said in "a handful of leaves".
    http://www.buddhanet.net/4noble1.htm
  • edited April 2010
    It is my understanding of metaphysics/philosophy that has allowed me to enjoy life a bit more in samsara. I used to be more stressed, fearful, and confused when believing in unsound philosophies (like eternal damnation and god.)

• FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Roath

How about telling your businesslike friend that metaphysics allows us to logically prove the truth of the Buddha's description of the universe. Nagarjuna and Bradley show us that every other metaphysical position is logically indefensible. Their proofs should get more attention in metaphysics imho.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Florian wrote: »
    Roath

How about telling your businesslike friend that metaphysics allows us to logically prove the truth of the Buddha's description of the universe. Nagarjuna and Bradley show us that every other metaphysical position is logically indefensible. Their proofs should get more attention in metaphysics imho.
    to "prove"??
    perhaps maybe more "to see" and "experience" the thruth which will allow us to see how things really are, which allow us to be completely free from suffering.
  • edited April 2010
    In TB there are several "proofs" for emptiness which are taken to be irrefutable, e.g. diamond slivers, etc.
  • edited April 2010
    patbb, your english and what you had to say are just fine. couldn't agree with you more.

very best wishes,
    armando
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    What does your friend need? Freedom from dukkha caused by the delusion of a self? If so then there is no need to go through metaphysics / Abhidhamma imo
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited April 2010
    patbb- I agree that metaphysics is unnecessary to freedom. It may, however, be helpful for convincing a sceptic that such a thing is possible. It was in my case. Seeing and experiencing can then take over.
  • edited April 2010
    has anyone here actually plowed though the abhidhamma? it made my brain spin even with bhikkhu bodhi's guide. his intoduction was interesting, though.

here's one of the more intelligible passages: http://www.abhidhamma.com/txt_Compendium_of_matter.pdf
  • edited April 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    What does your friend need? Freedom from dukkha caused by the delusion of a self? If so then there is no need to go through metaphysics / Abhidhamma imo

But abhidhamma will be required, at least later on, to understand things like impermanence. To understand of kalapa's, that arise and pass that all things are supposedly made out of.

Those understandings are mere speculation, at least to most of us. This is where faith comes in, or rather some axiomatic understanding of how such notions might fit in the bigger picture.

They say faith is like your eyes, you can see what it MIGHT be all about, but Buddhism isn't about faith, just faith is useless. If faith are your eyes, then in Buddhism, legs would be determination to be free from suffering (to sit and gain insight). Without your eyes, you won't see where you're going, you'll go on so many paths, and without legs you might see your path, but you won't get there. Both are required, at least later on.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    jthel wrote: »
    But abhidhamma will be required...... kalapa's....

Once upon a time ...
  • edited April 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    Once upon a time ...

Eh, what's that supposed to mean? :rolleyes:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    I guess it would mean you're getting uptight about stuff that really is all very simple.
    Everything you ever need to know, learn, understand, absorb, accept and realise, is in the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold path.
    It's all in there.
    Truly.
  • edited April 2010
    armando wrote: »
    has anyone here actually plowed though the abhidhamma? it made my brain spin even with bhikkhu bodhi's guide. his intoduction was interesting, though.

here's one of the more intelligible passages: http://www.abhidhamma.com/txt_Compendium_of_matter.pdf

Thanks for the link; but you're right! This is heavy stuff! Ouch. Perhaps this is evidence of his Omniscience!

From that same sight, I found another one called Kalapas - Groups of Matter. I thought I was reading a Calculus textbook! :confused: (See page 3, 5, 6, and 8 and you'll see what I mean.)

http://www.abhidhamma.com/txt_Kalapas.pdf

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Simsapa sutta.
    Trans, this will allay a lot of your confusion.....
  • edited April 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I guess it would mean you're getting uptight about stuff that really is all very simple.

Uptight me? :lol: Far from it, friend. :)
  • edited April 2010
    Simsapa sutta.
    Trans, this will allay a lot of your confusion.....

Haha, thanks. Nice Sutta there. I have come to realize that I was wrongly separating the Four Noble Truths from his philosophy and nature of reality teachings. Instead, these teachings are an aspect of the Four Noble Truths, and more specifically the division of the Eightfold Path which is Right View.

edited April 2010
    It always all comes back to these.
    Every teaching the Buddha ever taught, comes back to these.
    As two, completely separate and unconnected ordained people told me, at different times, The four, the Eight and the Five, can be condensed into one teaching.
    Simplify, and be Mindful.
    edited April 2010
    jthel wrote: »
    Uptight me? :lol: Far from it, friend. :)

Nah, I'm sure you're right....
    What I mean is that sometimes, we get so intent on getting down to the really deep nitty-gritty, that the actual simplicity of everything seems invisible...

When something is simple, it's incredible how many people insist it really cannot be this 'simple' and actively seek complexities, because surely to goodness, it HAS to be more complicated than this, doesn't it?

nope.
  • edited April 2010
    Nah, I'm sure you're right....
    What I mean is that sometimes, we get so intent on getting down to the really deep nitty-gritty, that the actual simplicity of everything seems invisible...

When something is simple, it's incredible how many people insist it really cannot be this 'simple' and actively seek complexities, because surely to goodness, it HAS to be more complicated than this, doesn't it?

nope.

This is all true, however, for me it took learning all the complexities, engaging in philosophical discourses, deep knowledge seeking, to finally reach and realize the simplistic philosophy. Had I not gone through all that, I would have never been able to see the truth of Buddhist wisdom and would have rejected it due to ignorance.

edited April 2010
    Yes, sometimes we really do have to plough our way laboriously through the haystack, looking for the needle that all the time, was fastened securely in our lapel....

:)
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited May 2010
    My experience was the same as Transmetaphysical's. I has to simplify metaphysics in order to see that Buddhist doctrine makes metaphysical sense. Only then did this game of chess with the devil become unimportant.
  • edited May 2010
    I believe it may be useful to understand where the Abhidharma originated. It's my understanding that there were several schools of Buddhism, including the Theravada, Sarvastavada, and the Sautranika, that engaged in debates from roughly 200 BCE to 600 CE. William Waldron, in his book The Buddhist Unconscious, gives an overview of the process:

"Over time, the Buddhists transformed what was originally a straightforward and largely descriptive psychology into a highly complex, systematic, and self-conscious meta-psychology - still with the explicit aim of eliminating the afflictive, karma-creating energies that perpetuate cyclic existence."

He goes on to say "Thus, two main factors that were indispensable to the Buddhist view of samsaric continuity across multiple lifetimes - the persistence of the latent afflictions and the accumualtion of karmic potential - were not easily ascertained in an analysis which focused exclusively on present and active processes of mind. The existence of these subsisting factors, their patterns of arising, and their possible influences on all one's mental processes until attaining liberation - all these became problematic within the Abhidharmic analytic.

And they became problematic, we shall argue, because of the inherent tension between Abhidharma's ultimate aim and its immediate method; between the overriding religious aim of stopping the inertial energies of samsaric life altogether, and the means to that end - the systematic description of the momentary and present processes of mind. The unavoidable distinction between the persisting influences from the past and the active processes in the present would eventually bring about an explicit recognition of the kinds of influences that underlie and enable every action yet which remain inaccessible to analyses limited to immediate mental processes - it brought about, in short, a recognition of unconscious mind."

The book goes on to explain that the Yogacara school developed the theory of the Buddhist unconscious, a theory very close to that of Freud.

acariya
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    It always all comes back to these.
    Every teaching the Buddha ever taught, comes back to these.
    As two, completely separate and unconnected ordained people told me, at different times, The four, the Eight and the Five, can be condensed into one teaching.
    Simplify, and be Mindful.

Ok Federica... by this you mean:

-The Four Noble Truths,

-The Eightfold Path (which is actually redundant as it is the 4rth Noble Truth so thusly already mentioned :D ),

- The Five (Are you referring to the 5 Aggrigates, the 5 Precepts, the 5 hindrances... I assume you are refering to the Precepts).

and what about the Three (Three Refuges) or are they truly not as important as those you mention, as they can be practiced and experienced without the refuges?
  • edited July 2010
    Abidharma texts are classifications of "epistimology" and "ontology" this is what western metaphysics are aiming to prove, therefore Nagarjuna holds the view, as taught by Chandrakirti and Tsongkhapa

• Hi .... look please at http://www.abhidhamma.org/sitagu sayadaw.htm ... thnks Leonardo
  • I can completely recommend Chogyam Trungpa - 'Glimpses of Abhidharma'. Simple and clear and explains the relevance of the Abhidarma to practice and liberation.
    The thread is 2 years old.....
    what made you revive it, instead of just posting a new one?
    Just curious.....
  • Ah. I didn't notice the dates and didn't know I was reviving anything. Pardon me.