Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What to say to people who somehow think "war" is the only answer?

BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
edited July 2010 in Buddhism Today
This is slightly political, but the discussion is timeless and is only political because of our current climate (war with iraq + american presidential elections coming up soon).

One of the things you hear often is "War was the only way to {fill in the blank}..." or "this war was justified".... And the people who are saying these things really believe that.

What do you say to them? In terms that they can comprehend?

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited October 2004
    We can oversimplify it with cliche terms too... "War is never the answer" ;)

Really, the answer is "War was the only way to {fill in the blank} without taking the time or intelligence necessary to solve the problem otherwise"
  • edited October 2004
    Some groups have very strong belief systems that they are not willing to accept alternatives to. Example, Palestine:

Palestinian: God gave us this land!
    Jew: Nu-UH, God gave this land to US!

Bomb Explodes, repeat.

It is rather sad the lengths the powers that be will go to to justify their ambitions. If everyone could just be straight and say,"Hey, We are going to start a war and kill more than 100,000 innocent bystanders so that my partners stock can go up a quarter point." I think there would need not be a justification for war. I don't want to get off on a tangent here but I am just tired of the talking heads on TV lying ALL THE TIME.
  • edited April 2005
    It seems to me that people no longer want to settle in a non-violent way becuase violence is just easier to them. It would take too long or be too difficult but it would lead to a lot fewer deaths and overall show people that war can be avioded at all costs. After all, war is simply never right.
  • edited May 2005
    War is not the only answer BUT it is an answer...wrong or right. Some say "War has never solved anything". Only if you ignore the fact that the Nazi-Germans were "solved" via war and the colonists ended British tyranny via the Colonial War. Since war did in fact have a desirable outcome at least in two cases then one must consider it when weighing all options.
    Hate to burst everyone's bubble but there are times when violence is reasonable and necessary. When determined to be necessary, violence should of course be used in the most minimal amount needed to affect the desired result. The key is this: violence should be a last REASONABLE option and should be enacted without emotions such as anger or hate so that it is controlled as much as possible.
    Unfortunately, many people understand and respect one thing...physical strength. These people interpret kindness for weakness. They wait for someone to extend a hand of friendship so they can chop it off.
  • edited May 2005
    Brian wrote:
    This is slightly political, but the discussion is timeless and is only political because of our current climate (war with iraq + american presidential elections coming up soon).

One of the things you hear often is "War was the only way to {fill in the blank}..." or "this war was justified".... And the people who are saying these things really believe that.

What do you say to them? In terms that they can comprehend?

I used to get all huffed up about this issue of ignorance. Now, however, I just silently pray that the person living in true ignorance will come to no harm and that one day awareness will dawn on them.

It is people like this that remind me why I'm a Bodhisattva.

Peacefulness is invincible in that it is unmovable.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2005
    This is my very good friend "BeautifulSpringtimeFist" everyone! Welcome to the site, nice to hear from you.... how was your sunshine....? ;)
  • edited May 2005
    Hi, BeautifulSpringtimeFist!

Welcome to the site. I look forward to getting to know you.

Adiana
  • edited May 2005
    federica wrote:
    This is my very good friend "BeautifulSpringtimeFist" everyone! Welcome to the site, nice to hear from you.... how was your sunshine....? ;)

It was great for about an hour... Then the real rain came, which I also really enjoyed - a true downpour!

Thank you for your greetings everyone - I look forward to getting to know the all of you!

:bigclap:

Don't hesitate to PM me about anything!

Peace
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited May 2005
    Welcome aboard! Any friend of federica's is a friend of mine :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2005
    That's a good question. I don't know if there is anything you could say that would change the mind of a person with a strong belief in war. I thought perhaps I would look to others who have set this example already and see what they had to say. There hasn't been a more opressed and abused people in the United States than the African Americans. We all know the history. And in their struggle there were a few that saw violence as a danger instead of a solution. What would war have done in the place of nonviolent action? It may not be the same as the Nazis in German, but the blacks in America wanted to be treated as human beings instead of animals. They were murdered and kept out of "white" society by racism. It wasn't that long ago that Martin Luther King Jr. took the leadership of uniting the black community and giving them a nonviolent way to change peoples minds. It wasn't quick and it wasn't painless, but he managed to change our entire nation. He died for his peaceful ways, but he accomplished what he set out to do. Our world is definitly a better place for it. War seems viable since it is a quick action. I think people need to be more patient before they can find alternatives. People need to be willing to endure pain and forget themselves first. It easier to say "I" was wronged and take quick action to "protect" or "defend" "yourself". But thinking of others first and enduring the suffering for them is what takes courage and wisdom. In war both sides suffer and die. Even in nonviolent solutions people still die, but in the end when people's minds are changed and the conflict over, you can look back with pride and a clean conscience about your approach. It stands out as wise and compassionate example. Look at Mr. King, or Gandhi, or Jesus, just to name a few. When a soldier returns from war he has to remember all the people he killed (men, women, and children) for the rest of his life. That's a lot to carry with you.

"The nonviolent approach does not immediately change the heart of the oppressor, it first does something to the hearts and souls of those committed to it. It gives them a new self-respect; It calls up resources of strength and courage that they did not know they had."

"Never could I advocate nonviolence in this country and not advocate nonviolence for the whole world."

"Nonviolence is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time: the need for man to overcome oppression and violence. Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation for such method is love."

"As you press on for justice, be sure to move with dignity and discipline, using only the weapon of love. Let no man pull you so low as to hate him. Always avoid violence. If you succumb to the temptation of using violence in your struggle, unborn generations will be the recipients of a long and desolate night of bitterness, and your chief legacy to the future will be an endless reign of meaningless chaos."

~Martin Luther King Jr.

I don't think I could have said it any better, but then I can't compete with someone who actually lived it.
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited July 2005
    It is painful to see world leaders laying waste the hearts and lives of millions going for war in a mad scramble for power or for whatever reasons. War is inevitable if there are/were killings of sentient-being (inc. animals) for food consumption in the cycle of deaths and births. Karmic actions of killing and being killed endlessly. War is one of the consequences, not forgetting the Mad-Cow/Bird-Flu viruses.

Going vegetarian is one good way, which I am trying hard now to do. I enjoy doing it thou.

cheers, :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2005
    In my mind - I can only think of two recent wars/battles that had justification. WW2 and the "cleansing" that was taking place in Bosnia.

Still, I have a hard time with war when I think of all the people killed during these two incidents. How many mothers, fathers, sons and daughters died.

When someone says, "We had to do it. We had to get the people that attacked us!"

I just remind them that we never found any weapons of mass destruction that we were lied to about and we still don't have Osama. A lot of our children have died going over there under the lie of "weapons of mass destruction" and many Iraqi people have died over this lie.

I really have nothing other to discuss on this subject when it's brought up. I may politely listen to the other persons side of the story - but usually, remove myself from the discussion as soon as possible.

While I abhore what Saddam has done - he was doing all of those horrible things to Iraqi people when
    1) we set him up in Iraq
    2) When we used him in power during our struggle with Iran
    3) Kept him as an ally even when he was mustard gassing people in Iraq.

Why were we so ready to jump into a war when Iraq invaded Kuwait? Why did we wait so long to get involved in stopping the ethnic cleansing in Bosnia?

There are a lucky few countries that have enough oil to make the US take notice of a countries plight. Those countries that don't have goods like oil, we leave hanging for way too long.

Michael
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    There was no justification with WW2. Hitler was a madman who killed people for no reason. All we did was defend ourselves and others. War is so horrible. I can't wrap m mind around th eneed for it. :(
    edited July 2005
    There was no justification with WW2. (

I guess I'm missing your point, my friend.

Michael
    edited July 2005
    My point is ther eis no justification for war. Wars are started by people who are unwilling to listen and also because they want more and more. If people didn't start war in the first place then there would be a lot less killing.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    When people say there is a good reason for war, ask them "Who would jesus bomb?"
    (Yay I quoted a sticker! How smart of me!)
    edited July 2005
    Good one. :)

Unfortunately, "Jesus" has bombed, slain, waged war, killed, murdered, tortured and massacred more people than I think he realizes!

At least that's what has been done in his name for the last 2,000 years.

Michael
  • edited July 2005
    There was no justification with WW2. Hitler was a madman who killed people for no reason. All we did was defend ourselves and others. War is so horrible. I can't wrap m mind around th eneed for it. :(

Stalin was a madman as well. Some say he was even worse than Hitler. How though, in a peaceful and non-violent way might we stop the Holocaust, the Armenian Massacre, Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini, and countless other madmen without the use of force.

Taking on racist white America, as noble as it may be, is much different than fighting a fascist, paranoid, dictator bent on conquering the world and eradicating every Jew, homosexual, gypsy, and handicapped person on the planet. I think violence in certain circumstances is a necessity and even a duty to those strong enough to stop such oppression. People who even spoke against such atrocities as listed were usually taken away to Siberia or the death camps never to be seen or heard from again. :-/

Where would democracy, liberty, and freedom be today if the Brits, Americans, French, Poles, and countless other countries not stood against the 3rd Reich? Where would we be if the millions of civilians and militia not stood up against the overwhelming Nazis in the ruins of Stalingrad?

In conclusion, as much as I like peace and practice it, others do not. All we can do now is learn from our mistakes and never let what happened in the 20th century happen again.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I am not arguing with any points made, but individual figure heads in history are not solely to blame. Hitler, Stalin, etc are products of their time and their circumstances, their education. I am sure if they had no support, they would not have been able to do what they did. Sure they did terrible things, but they could not have been 100% evil. Nobody is. Individuals do not cause war, groups of people do. If, for example, Hitler stood alone in his ideals, the holocaust would not have happened, he needed supporters.
    edited July 2005
    Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

You make a great point, emmak. I think at first it was a nation in the throws of depression when someone finally stepped up to the table and got the economy moving again.

Think about it - trying to raise a family and you don't have a good job, not enough money to go around, can't make ends meet. Then because of a "party" coming to power - providing for your family is no longer such a struggle.
    I think a lot of people originally bought into it not having any idea where it was going.

I've seen documentaries and read stories about after the Allies went through various concentration camps - they brought people from nearby villages and made them look at the bones, bodies, furniture and lamps made from the tattooed skin of the victims, the furnaces, the shower room, etc. I saw one show where people were hurling at what they were seeing. Many of them had no idea (and maybe they didn't want to have any idea) what was going on.

That's why they also had the Nuremburg trials. There were many, many bad people that got caught up in the rise of power.

I'm still pretty sure that my dentist is Dr. Mengele. The things he does to my teeth are horrific.

Michael
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Elohim, dear brother,

You do not need to 'over-egg the cake' when presenting the wise words of MLK.

You damage your case when you say
    There hasn't been a more opressed and abused people in the United States than the African Americans
    The United States is built on a policy of genocide: the genocide of the First Americans. Whilst the enslavement of thousands of Africans is now seen as a terrible crime against humanity, the deliberate slaughter of the Nations, the daily breach of treaties made with them and the poverty still inflicted on them goes far beyond the treatment of any other community in Turtle Island.

I am never surprised, although always saddened, when our nations resort to war: it is what the 'nation state' is built on and survives by.
    edited July 2005
    You do not have to be mean Simon. You do not even live in the United States. I know full well about the Native Americans. I am part Indian as well as Finnish and French-Canadian. It is still my belief that the Africans who were brought over as slaves were treated far worse. It is not something I wish to argue about. It is my personal opinion and to debate such a thing seems a tad tastless. The point was only made to show that a group of people who were opressed and treated unfairly, not even as the same species in some cases, still found peaceful solutions to change the ways in which they were treated. They did not have to resort to war or violence.
    edited July 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I....when they say.....ahahahahahaha.......I mean what.....ahahahahahahahaha.

*Composes self*

Whew....ok.

[snip]...

And this, "The body of Buddha lies in a grave in at the bottom of the Himalayan Mountains."
    Where the f*#k did they get this idea from? It very clearly states in the Mahaparinibbana sutta that the Buddha was cremated. I also have trouble with certain contradicitions such as,

[snip]

I don't think I need to go on any further. It's nice that people like to reason why one path may be the "better" path for any number of given reasons (I have no problem with this whatsoever), but at least they could get the facts straight so they don't look like complete idiots.

Ah well, that was entertaining. :) Much appreciatied for the post.....for me to poop on! (Humourous reference to Triumph the insult-comic dog in case you don't get it. I'd take Conan over Jay or Dave anyday!)

And you say Simon was being mean for posting a well thought out statement that didn't agree with yours?

Michael
    edited July 2005
    Yes, and right afterwards I posted that my post did sound mean and I apologized for it. I was upset that the "facts" they used about Buddhism in the article were not entirely true. Debating a point is fine, but you cannot use false information to debate your point. It must be factual and true. They make themselves look foolish by using things that are blatantly untrue. It is not just a matter of opinion in this case. And I also do admit it was harsh the way I said it. You will not get an argument from me here. I said I was sorry and I didn't intend it to be that way.

Hahaha, I guess I'm the bad guy this time. The stereotypical "evil, close-minded American". But to be fair it is not like the United States is the ONLY country founded on wars, geneocides, and crimes against indigenous peoples.
    edited July 2005
    Elohim,

I don't think you're the bad guy this time or any time. I sometimes get on my damn soap-box (not saying that you were - just me) and say things a little too emphatic.

As for the US being the only country... I have to disagree with you my friend. Many, many countries over the course of humanity on earth have done this. You can start just with Egypt and the spreading of Rome - all the structures built under slave labor, the salt mines, the quarries, all the countries taken over, all the deaths all the wars - many, many countries have done this.

I'm not saying that it was okay that the US did the things they did, the slavery, the lies and deceit to the indigenous peoples of this country and then relagating them to the worst land in the country (because we couldn't farm it or raise cattle), etc. When you read that some of our fine soldiers in this country used to have saddles made out of the breasts of native american women or tabacco pouches made out of the scrotums of native american men - America has done many atrocities to Americans.

Unfortunatley, if we were to give America back to the Native Americans, and all of us went back to Europe - Australians had to give back Australia to the Aboriginees, and then the English had to return that area to the Picts and Gaels, and then the Gaels had to give back Brittany and the Norse had to give back what little they kept (odd ... that the Norse went so many places and pillages so many peoples but eventually ended up being absorbed into the peoples the took over...) where would it all end?

I think we have to find peace with where things are at. Otherwise, we'll start more wars like other countries that have been warring over the West Bank for decades...

Michael
    edited July 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    Hahaha, I guess I'm the bad guy this time. The stereotypical "evil, close-minded American". But to be fair it is not like the United States is the ONLY country founded on wars, geneocides, and crimes against indigenous peoples.

Elohim....

Never mind my ranting... I thought I read "is like the United States is the ONLY..."

I mis-read you. Sorry about that. My hookd on foniks aint' working so gude.

Michael
    edited July 2005
    Quite alright. I was on my soap-box as well. I got some defilements lurking around in here too. I must admit that I have some prejudices against Christians in general for personal reasons. I get auto-defensive when there is anything that seems to be saying,"Christians are right, Jesus is the only way, Buddha said some good stuff but...he's wrong and so are you."

I have nothing against Jesus himself. I really like some of his teachings from the New Testament. I also really like the gnostic Nag Hammadi texts. Jesus in my view was an extraordinary individual. I respect him as I do the Buddha and all the other great teachers that have arisen since the dawn of time. I of course have certain doubts as to him being the only way to Truth, or the only son of God as opposed to all of mankind. I feel that his teachings have been misunderstood by the modern world.

This defensiveness against Christianity is a personal problem I have obviously. I do my best to have an open view, but sometimes my habitual close-mindedness sets in. I went from hating anything to do with Jesus, to reading his teachings and seeing the wisdom in them. It seems I still get heated over this topic though. In the other forum I was defending Christianity while here it seems like I'm attacking it. I'm falling between the two extremes.

Some days the Middle Way is a lot harder for me to walk than others. Must be one of those days.
    edited July 2005
    I agree with you completely.

I have no problem with Jesus or Christianity really. I just have problems with everything that has been done in the name of Christianity by people. I'm still coming to grips with it.

Michael
  • edited July 2005
    I must admit that I have some prejudices against Christians in general for personal reasons.
    Elohim, you are not alone. I find myself reacting the same way - it's not easy.
    edited July 2005
    You are quite right, Elohim, I was being mean and making a cheap point.

I am well aware that many USians and Canadians feel the deep guilt of the Ndn holocaust.

Please accepot my genuine apologies.
  • edited July 2005
    Being a half breed Native American, I have come to realize that there were atrocities on both sides. That seems to be the nature of Mankind.

As for the Slavery of the African American. They were not the only ones taken from their homelands and put into Captivity for the entertainment or livilyhood of another race. It still is happening today.
    edited July 2005
    May I remind us all that "ethnic cleansing" is a reality, still, in our world.

As our brother, Palzang, and my refugee friends will testify, it is the policy of the government of the PRC in respect of Tibet.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Simon, again, pardon my ignorance, what is the PRC? Can you elaborate for a dummy like me. :)
    edited July 2005
    Sorry. Peoples' Republic of China.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Is that as in the Tibetans being kicked out of their own country and made refugees? Am I off track?
    edited July 2005
    I am feeling tension here. Let's all relax and not turn into esangha. Please..for me. :bowdown:
    edited July 2005
    I am feeling tension here. Let's all relax and not turn into esangha. Please..for me. :bowdown:

No.....I don't need to relax... YOU NEED TO RELAX, buddy!!!!

:lol:

Michael
    edited July 2005
    Wow I was wrong. That didn't sound tense at all. I know. I'll be right over to help you get that stick. :type:
    edited July 2005
    emmak wrote:
    Is that as in the Tibetans being kicked out of their own country and made refugees? Am I off track?

If only that were all! The Peoples' Army invaded Tibet in order, allegedly, to suppress the feudal system and bring (Marxist) democracy with elected leadership.

The native peoples of Tibet have been systematically tortured, imprisoned and murdered. The monasteries have been destroyed, treasures looted, libraries burned, monks and nuns subjected to appalling abuse. The eco-system of Tibet is both unique and fragile but the PRC have used the country as a dumping-ground for nuclear waste and have looted the natural resources.

Thousands of Chinese are being transplanted into Tibet as the native populations are decimated. H. H. the Panchen Lama has been a political prisoner since he was six - he is now 16. It is a criminal offence to possess a picture of the Dalai Lama.

And this has been going on for over 50 years!

We can be most thankful that, despite the cowardice and self-interest of the great powers, Pandit Nehru took the brave step of giving sanctuary to the Dalai Lama in 1959. Hundreds of Tibetans have made the dangerous (and illegal) trek across the Himalayas to safety, including the Karmapa Lama in 2001, risking life and limb.

Unfortunately, Tibet does not rank high on the agenda of the West, which prefers to kowtow to China - a much more profitable market.

For more information:
    http://www.freetibet.org/
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited August 2005
    It sucks big time when my country has compulsory National Service upon 18 years old... If I really have to fight a war, I will attempt to capture than kill. If I really have to kill, I will hope that fellow I shoot only faints. If I have to make him die, I will do it with 5% of my good karma to him.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I was watching 'Apocalypse Now' last night. Hollywood certainly has glorified war. I could not handle that, no offense to soldiers etc, but I could not live with myself. War is so sad, but society is worse for the glorification of it. :(
  • edited August 2005
    One of the reasons I became interested in Buddhism is that it's the only (as far as I know) system that has never started a war. As far as justification goes: 'Evil triumphs when good men do nothing'. If we are not prepared to undertake war in any circumstances then people like Hitler can walk all over everyone else unchallenged. However, war for terriotory, profit, revenge or religious/racial supremacy can never be justified. War is hell and there are never any winners - only losers. As Buddhists we must be prepared, however reluctantly, to take a stand against evil and back that up if necessary but only after every other option has been tried unsuccessfully. Just my two cents.
    edited August 2005
    Windwalker, Dharma friend,

I fear that it is a myth that Buddhist nations are peaceable. Tibet has a long and bloody history of imperialism, and Nepal is ruled by murderous autocrats.
  • edited August 2005
    thebatman wrote:
    Some say "War has never solved anything". Only if you ignore the fact that the Nazi-Germans were "solved" via war and the colonists ended British tyranny via the Colonial War. Since war did in fact have a desirable outcome at least in two cases then one must consider it when weighing all options.
    Unfortunately, many people understand and respect one thing...physical strength. These people interpret kindness for weakness. They wait for someone to extend a hand of friendship so they can chop it off.

Love the batman icon, but I have to sort of disagree.

War doesn't solve racism. And when you study history in a bit more depth, you will find that many Americans supported some of the nasty aspects of the Nazis, and, in fact, the U.S.A. continued involuntary human experimentation that resulted in death through the 1970's. But we glorious Americans opted to use black people as lab rats instead of the jews. What did WWII really "solve"? We FAILED to attack the beliefs. National Socialism is still alive and kicking, racism is still alive and kicking, ditto xenophobia, colonialism, et al.

The pen is mightier than the sword :)

You can beat some folks over the head here and there, but if the ugly ideas remain, you have done nothing but prolong the agony.

How many times, and in how many different ways do we have to say "love your neighbor as yourself", then get a clue that when looked at from above, everyone is a neighbor.

Batman always tried rehab for the Joker -- he wanted to change the guys mind. In what percentage of conflicts did Batman kill the opponent? Big dif between temporary physical restraint and killing the person. Learn from your icon.
    edited August 2005
    Batman never killed. That is his big thing.
  • edited September 2005
    We used to fight wars in the name of God.
    We've grown up, now we fight them in the name of peace.
    edited September 2005
    twobitbob wrote:
    We used to fight wars in the name of God.
    We've grown up, now we fight them in the name of peace.

Wow... that is an excellent phrase.

Can I use it?

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2005
    emmak wrote:
    I was watching 'Apocalypse Now' last night. Hollywood certainly has glorified war. I could not handle that, no offense to soldiers etc, but I could not live with myself. War is so sad, but society is worse for the glorification of it. :(

Sorry, Emmak, but I don't see how you could get that Apocalypse Now glorifies war! It's an anti-war movie, one of the best ever made. Did you watch the same film I did?

Palzang
    edited September 2005
    We still fight wars in the name of god. Look at what the Taliban is doing.
    edited September 2005
    Palzang wrote:
    Sorry, Emmak, but I don't see how you could get that Apocalypse Now glorifies war! It's an anti-war movie, one of the best ever made. Did you watch the same film I did?

Palzang

Although I do agree with you about the aim of the film, and about its extraordinary quality, Palzang, I think I can see Emmak's point too.

The film does, of course, villify war but, at the same time, it portrays its horror, just as Remarque does in All Quiet On The Western Front. There is an argument that could suggest that such representation is also a covert glorification. The horror of war in Picasso's Guernica is all the more telling because it goes beyond any attempt at realism. There is something voyeuristic in the 'special effects': like watching a rape in a film against violence against women.