Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is the Dalai Lama a God?

edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Is the Dalai Lama a God? Is it true that some Buddhists think he is a God on Earth? :confused:

Comments

• edited April 2010
    printable5.jpg
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited April 2010
    BuddhaOdin wrote: »
    Is the Dalai Lama a God?

No.

Is it true that some Buddhists think he is a God on Earth? :confused:
    It's possible.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    6qfatl.jpg1zpgodu.jpg
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Is the Dalai Lama a God?
    Garoto was a god. Guinga is a god. The DL can't even play the guitar, much less perform a decent samba. ;-)
  • skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Is the Dalai Lama a God? Is it true that some Buddhists think he is a God on Earth? :confused:
    He is believed to be an emanation of the Buddha of Compassion, Avalokiteshvara, aka Chenresig.

He certainly has qualities of compassion in evidence.

Buddha is not god.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited April 2010
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    Garoto was a god. Guinga is a god. The DL can't even play the guitar, much less perform a decent samba. ;-)

You mean Garoto the Brasilian musician? If so, then I agree, he was a god! I've never met anyone else who's ever heard of him!

:)

Mtns

PS: He says he's just a simple Buddhist monk (HHDL, not Garoto).
  • edited April 2010
    Is the Dalai Lama a God?
    Dali Lama wrote: »
    lol!

But, I don't think hes a god, but I bet somebody does.
  • edited April 2010
    sky dancer wrote: »
    He is believed to be an emanation of the Buddha of Compassion, Avalokiteshvara, aka Chenresig.

He certainly has qualities of compassion in evidence.

Buddha is not god.
    This is the perfect answer.
  • edited April 2010
    DL6.jpg
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    2nldyty.jpg
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    You mean Garoto the Brasilian musician? If so, then I agree, he was a god! I've never met anyone else who's ever heard of him!
    I discovered choro, more or less accidentally, and I've been hooked on Brazilian music ever since.

How do you know about Garoto?
    Mountains wrote: »
    PS: He says he's just a simple Buddhist monk (HHDL, not Garoto).
    Yeah, he's probably not good for much more than beating the zabumba on Sao Joao Day. ;-)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Barbara Walters asked him this. He pointed to his glasses. I don't think he explained it but what I understood is why would he need glasses if he was god. He has also referred to some of his physical ailments to show people that he doesn't have 'healing powers' as they may think of it. I think it is difficult when someone writes him a letter in the hopes that he can cure them and then he says all he can do is suffer with them.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2010

Are you a god? Use the same answer for your question.

Palzang
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2010
    "allow the little children"
  • edited April 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    Are you a god? Use the same answer for your question.

Palzang

I think it would be disrespecful to compare myself to His Holiness.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    IMO - He is neither a God nor is he an "emanation of [any] Buddha". But I think he is a remarkable monk with a great deal of wisdom and compassion. It would be good if there were more people like him in the world.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited April 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    It would be good if there were more people like him in the world.

Amen, brother Guy. Amen!

:)

Mtns
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I think it would be disrespectful to compare myself to His Holiness.
    Why would that be disrespectful?

If you compare yourself, you see where you are different.

My guess is we are very much alike, just a few key things are different.
  • edited April 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    Why would that be disrespectful?

If you compare yourself, you see where you are different.

My guess is we are very much alike, just a few key things are different.

Maybe small differences can seem like big differences, did the Buddah write about individual differences or human nature?

I do think the Dalai Lama is a very extraordinary man in compassion, wisdom etc.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    I think it would be disrespecful to compare myself to His Holiness.

Given that His Holiness the Dalai Lama has always referred to himself as a 'simple Monk' and that he has repeatedly said you should always treat all other human beings, regardless of whom they might be, as no greater or lesser than yourself - I think he'd be embarrassed if you didn't. He would much rather be treated as an equal, as your brother - than anything else.
    I saw him at the Royal Albert hall a year ago, and he made a point of telling everybody present that he was not to be considered special....

"I am just like you - and you are just like me!" he laughed. "Perhaps not with robes, perhaps not with very short hair like mine - perhaps not with glasses - although I see many many people here with glasses...I see you thanks to my glasses!" And he laughed again....
    "We are all the same. Human beings. Not different."

So take it from the Horse's mouth. You can compare yourself with absolutely no disrespect whatsoever..... ;)
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The dalai lama is an extraordinary man and is very striking, genuine and kind. Some have a respect for him that may be considered worship, as if he is a god, some might even worship him as a god. What is most striking to me, is that he seems to manage this degree of fame and worship much better than most could. When I look at the Pope or other famous Chrisitian church leaders you don't get the same feeling of humility.

Regardless of HHDL's status, he is still a man, and is subject to death, old age and the making of decisions (sometimes good ones, sometimes less so), I bet especially during his youth he had a learning curve. I look to him as I do any spiritual teacher, with respect and an open mind to heed his direction.

I don't compare myself to anyone regardless of what title or degree of enlightenment they have. I simply listen and learn from these wise men.
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I like what Fed said better than I did.
  • edited April 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Given that His Holiness the Dalai Lama has always referred to himself as a 'simple Monk' and that he has repeatedly said you should always treat all other human beings, regardless of whom they might be, as no greater or lesser than yourself - I think he'd be embarrassed if you didn't. He would much rather be treated as an equal, as your brother - than anything else.
    I saw him at the Royal Albert hall a year ago, and he made a point of telling everybody present that he was not to be considered special....

"I am just like you - and you are just like me!" he laughed. "Perhaps not with robes, perhaps not with very short hair like mine - perhaps not with glasses - although I see many many people here with glasses...I see you thanks to my glasses!" And he laughed again....
    "We are all the same. Human beings. Not different."

So take it from the Horse's mouth. You can compare yourself with absolutely no disrespect whatsoever..... ;)

Did the Buddah teach treating all human beings equal who ever they may be? I have seen Buddhists talk of treating all animals equal or even all life equal.

Buddhists often honour Buddha by buiding statues of him etc, treating him in a way that he is more important than other humans.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Did the Buddah teach treating all human beings equal who ever they may be? I have seen Buddhists talk of treating all animals equal or even all life equal.

Buddhists often honour Buddha by buiding statues of him etc, treating him in a way that he is more important than other humans.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RggiVQ6F0fk

I remember going to a Tibetan Buddhist temple when i just began to have interest in Buddhism and the teacher there made a big deal of how we were so lucky to have this giant statue of Buddha, how they had to have many rituals for it and how it was the only one in North America.

This turned me off so much i never went back there ;)
  • edited April 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RggiVQ6F0fk

I remember going to a Tibetan Buddhist temple when i just began to have interest in Buddhism and the teacher there made a big deal of how we were so lucky to have this giant statue of Buddha, how they had to have many rituals for it and how it was the only one in North America.

This turned me off so much i never went back there ;)

But is such behaviour in agreement with the Buddhas teachings? It seems like they are treating him like he is a God.
  • edited October 2010
    No. He's no God.

But I think people worship him overly.