Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation Questions

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
ok iv* kinda tried meditating before but im still very confused.

1) what actually is supposed to happen when i meditate? i tried before and i found myself sitting there and i would be wondering if this is whats supposed to happen or what not.

2) any time i try to meditate i keep getting thought in my head but i try not to think about them and focus on breathing but it dosent really work so well, i have no training and was wondering what im supposed to be doing

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Sunny d wrote: »
    ok im kinda tried meditating before but im still very confused.

1) what actually is supposed to happen when i meditate? i tried before and i found myself sitting there and i would be wondering if this is whats supposed to happen or what not.

2) any time i try to meditate i keep getting thought in my head but i try not to think about them and focus on breathing but it dosent really work so well, i have no training and was wondering what im supposed to be doing
    Well its difficult, I'm not sure what school you would like to follow, or anything. They have different methods and such.
    But, what I can say, is relax! :D When you concentrate on your breathing, dont think "in and out" so much as you would.....hmmm..How would I say it? Concentrate on the SOUND of your breathing, when you breathe in (through your nose) KNOW that you're breathing in. Thats it. The same goes for when you breathe out. Its really quite simple!
    Its hard to help you, because I have both the lack of knowledge, and the lack of words! :lol:

But, just dont think about it too much, and over time you'll get it!
    :p
    Here are some links, from I site that helps myself out greatly!
    http://viewonbuddhism.org/meditation_theory.html

http://viewonbuddhism.org/meditation_practice.html

I know, a lot of reading! But all of it is helpful!
    :D
    Good luck and many blessings!
  • edited April 2010
    im on that site and its telling me to try to have like an object to my meditation i think. like should i be asking myself questions?
  • edited April 2010

Welcome, again Sunny d!

When I first started meditating i too was wondering: "Hmm am I doing this right?!" I would then have to agree with SomeSay in that you should relax. Just let it be. When you sit, sit without expectations.

A good method, again as mentioned by SomeSay is to focus on the breathe. I however, would have to argue that saying "In" "Out" is an okay method to start with. Something else that is also very is easy is counting. Start at one: breath in, two: breath out three: breath in... etc. If at anypoint your mind strays from countring, start over. When thoughts arise, do not get upset or feel angry at them, simply observe them and concisely take yourself back to the breathe. Rather than stopping and wondering if you have done it properly, just stay focused on the breathe as if nothing else is there. If I cannot bring myself back to my breathe, sometimes I breathin--accept the thoughts, breathout-- let them go. This, in my opinion, is very helpful because I am letting the thoughts flow out of me in a way. One last thing: don't observe your breathe, that is don't comment "That was a long breathe... that one was short." etc. simply let your breathe be as it is.

That is all I can say though. Honestly, attention and focus will come with practice. Again, don't sit with expectations, sit and let what happens happen.

The purpose of meditating is not to neccesarilly clear your mind of EVERYTHING, as much as it is to be able to cultivate mindfulness. That is in this way, through meditation, being fully aware of a certain action: breathing, while staying focused on this and letting it be as it is rather than judging or commenting. As you meditate more, you will come to see some benefits, such as more mindfullness outside of sitting.

Kindly,
    Ashley
  • edited April 2010
    im on that site and its telling me to try to have like an object to my meditation i think. like should i be asking myself questions?

Some practices of meditation is focusing on something. If you meditate with your eyes open, perhaps you will focus on a candle, or perhaps you will focus on an idea instead: love, for instance. I would highly suggest, though take my words as you may, to start with breathing meditation.
  • edited April 2010
    No, there are different ways to meditate like I said. I've never asked myself questions..But I myself am still learning. Do what I said and then move on, meditation is not something you learn in a day...It takes practice and a long time, but it happens! Patience. :)
    So, maybe save those links for later, this was MY fault entirely. I am sorry, I shoulda just kept it simple instead of adding links in there.
    Concentrate on breathing, just be aware that when you breathe in, you're breathing in and when you breathe out you're breathing out. Someone else, would be able to better help you. lol
    I'm just confusing you more, arent I?
    MAYBE this'll help. :)
    http://www.zenguide.com/zenmedia/books/content.cfm?t=zazen_meditation_guide&chapter=06
  • edited April 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csyCrcpDs58

Watch this video! This is my favorite how to video on meditation... absolutly wonderful! It is zazen based, however, a meditation style that is common for beginners. So we are explaining it, this is a ten minute video that pretty much covers everything and completly explains it!

SomeSayInFire... chillax man :).
  • edited April 2010
    *breathes deeply*

I've never really counted my breaths, personally. So, I never really thought about it. :)
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi, Sunny D.

Is it possible to visit any Dharma center's in your area that offer beginner meditation classes? Having an experienced teacher is invaluable, especially when just starting out. Besides, there are a variety of different methods of meditation practice.

Mani
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    1 Don't think your having the wrong experience! Your mind has natural qualities that you just learning about in the meditation. Just keep watching what happens over and over. Meditation isn't about doing. It is just being. We try real hard to stop doing. It takes a lot of effort. But the effort isn't to do something.

2 I think you have a strong idea of a observer or thinker... This makes the experience have a little claustrophobic perhaps? Like some thought is happening to you and you can do nothing? Why not just let the thoughts be. Don't follow them or reject them. Just see them. Meditation is not supression of thoughts. Before you meditate think why you do it? What do you need or what is your hope? Isn't that something valuable to explore.

Meditation is about letting the threads of your confusion come to light. You don't have to figure them out. Just let them be and try to hunker down in the same room with them. Get comfortable in your skin. Touch the earth.

When you feel a little lost remember your heart. Why you meditate. Not make a big deal out of it. You don't have to levitate the x-wing fighter like Luke did. Just remember that you are not a disenterested observer.

Be present. Whatever arises sit with it.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010

You will find the answers to your questions in the book Mindfulness in Plain English.
  • edited April 2010
    thank you all, very helpful =D
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010

1) What is supposed to happen is that gradually, over time, you will learn to concentrate and control your mind. Anything else that may happen is unimportant.

2) Yes. You are doing well.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010

Doing meditation by yourself is better than nothing, but if you can maybe go to a 10 day Vipassana retreat.
    <cite>www.dhamma.org/
    Learn it well and have a solid base, then you can do it by yourself.
    </cite>
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Sunny d

This is a good starting place to check out

http://www.vipassana.com/meditation/mindfulness_in_plain_english.php
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    Hi Sunny d

This is a good starting place to check out

http://www.vipassana.com/meditation/mindfulness_in_plain_english.php
    This is the first book i read on meditation.
    I've read this book and would not recommend it.

When i read it, I interpret things in ways that were not proper.

I recommend a meditation retreat, then you can have a proper point of view by witch you can interpret books properly.

This is only my experience, others will be different.