Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Loss?

IrrisIrris Explorer
edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I read somewhere that it's good as a Buddhist to let yourself grieve over losing someone. But are there any actions that are recommended to help respect the dead and move on? Not a ritual, but I guess something like it?
My dog that I've had since I was a kid had to be put down today. She was 15 years old. Just curious, as someone interested in delving deeper into Buddhism, what would the Buddha do?
I feel a bit silly for posting this.. I'm just having a hard time finding anything about this subject. Thanks!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    That's because it's part of Life.
    You might find certain rituals practised by certain traditions, but I think to be completely honest, as with all things transitory, you love it in your heart, but let it go.
    Any ritual you'd like to perform for yourself I'm sure would be fine.
    It's a personal thing, after all....

:)
  • edited April 2010
    Sorry for you loss... I recently had to put my dog down and know it can be painful. Especially when that pet is more of a family member.

Just greive in whatever manner your comfortable with. Everyone grieves in different ways. I don't think there is a right or wrong way.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your friend Irris. People will say "that must be like losing a member of your family" - no such thing. It *is* losing a member of your family. It's hard to let go of a friend as dear as our dogs and cats are to us. But death is part of life. I only half-jokingly tell my patients that nobody has gotten out of here alive yet! Grieving is good and healthy and perfectly normal. There have been volumes of books written on it and its stages (Google "stages of grief" if you're not familiar). But in the end, it's always very personal. My understanding of Buddhism, limited though it is, has really helped me change my perspective on death and dying a lot.

Again, I'm very sorry for your loss, and I wish you the best.

Peace

Mtns
  • Quiet_witnessQuiet_witness Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The Buddha explained that his dharma (teachings) is the middle path. I interpret that to mean that you don't take any polar extreme but accept life with it pains and joys as they are, pains and joys. Our lives are full of loss and when some see that they decide not to invest emotion into anything (for example, because puppies die one might not ever get a puppy to avoid the inevitable lose of the puppy), a very nihilistic approach, others have an excess of pleasure (in this case it could be an excess of puppies so the loss of one is of little notice), this too leads to a life that lacks joy and hapiness. What the middle path, for me, suggests going along with this example, is to get a puppy, love it, spend time with it, and realize that your time with it is temprorary and it will one day die. Loss is inevitable but suffering from it is not. When I take this approach to life I have found great joy and happiness, even though I am sad at times.
  • edited April 2010
    For what it's worth... I went to the Humane Society and adopted an 8 month old puppy a week later. I felt very weird about it, but it helped me alot.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I talked to my teacher about dealing with the death of my father, and he suggested I respect the large impact the experience of 'father' and the experience of 'dying father' by giving myself space. I did this by quieting the chaos in my environment, simply letting emotions flow and letting those around me know of my pain/requesting their support of it.

Grief is a process, and you can't really skip steps. The deeper the connection with that which you lose, the bigger the impact of the process. The actual process is different for everyone, depending on how we relate to our world.

Take care and I am so sorry for your loss...

Matt
  • IrrisIrris Explorer
    edited April 2010
    Thank you everyone for the support. In response to the suggestions of getting a new puppy, I do have one :) I rescued a Chi from a puppy mill a couple months ago, in response to losing my childhood cat of old age. I also have a 2yr old Aussie that was also a rescue. I grew up on a horse ranch so I'm very familiar with the loss of animals (horses, dogs, cats, and even cows)... all life goes on. Regardless of whatever sad thing happened, you still have mouths to feed and more furry friends to play with.
    I was mostly wondering if there were any "Buddhist" forms of ceremony...
    Usually we just bury the animal, exchange fond memories, cry a little, and move on. Sometimes we give a card to whomever the pet was most attached to.
    I think the most ceremonial pet burials we've had were these:
    -When my 3year old Jack Russel Terrier got hit by a car several years ago, we buried her by the river (we live on) and I made a circle of stones over the place.
    -When a calico cat died, we planted a red/brown leafed tree over the place, whose foliage resembles her fur colors.
    -When a bird died, which my mother was really attached to, she actually put him in a bon fire, so that when he burned he would go up into the sky and "fly" again.

We're country folk, I guess our ideas of proper burials tend to be very nature-related :)

In related happy/sad life-goes-on news, a couple of our new calves are orphans this year. The mothers both died within a couple days of each other - we think the owner of the farm sprayed pesticides on the grass like an idiot - so we have a couple of very cute little black babies to look after. They play in the barn like dogs!
  • edited April 2010
    Irris wrote: »
    I also have a 2yr old Aussie that was also a rescue.

That nice saving Australians. :eek:
  • IrrisIrris Explorer
    edited April 2010
    Australian Shepherd :P
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Irris,
    I read somewhere that it's good as a Buddhist to let yourself grieve over losing someone.

I don't know where you heard that, but I consider myself a Buddhist and I don't buy it. Grief comes from attachment. It is possible to love and care for others without being attached to them.
    But are there any actions that are recommended to help respect the dead and move on? Not a ritual, but I guess something like it?

IMO, The best way you can respect the dead is by being as happy when they are gone as you were when they were here. Would they want you to be unhappy?
    My dog that I've had since I was a kid had to be put down today. She was 15 years old. Just curious, as someone interested in delving deeper into Buddhism, what would the Buddha do?

Interesting you say that, my dog who was one of my best friends for a long time died two weeks ago and I can honestly say I didn't grieve. As for what the Buddha would do, I suspect he would not grieve either.
    I feel a bit silly for posting this.. I'm just having a hard time finding anything about this subject. Thanks!

No need to feel silly, ask anything you want, this is a great place to learn.

With Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Mountains,
    Mountains wrote: »
    Grieving is good and healthy and perfectly normal.

I would have to disagree. I dare say that it is only considered "normal" because it is the socially conditioned and accepted response, most people don't know any better.

This is why people say things like "I'm sorry to hear...", their intentions are good, but they don't realise that saying things like this tends to make the person feel like they SHOULD be upset and then get even more upset.

With Metta,

Guy
  • IrrisIrris Explorer
    edited April 2010
    I watched that PBS thing about Buddha's life the other day. It talked about how Buddha heard news of his home village being attacked and many of his friends/family dying.. and he grieved. The point of the anecdote seemed to be that even he was sometimes sad, and accepting that feeling was part of life, or something along those lines. Maybe I am mis-remembering? Anyone else see this?

Edited to Add: When an old animal (or person) dies after living a long happy life, I admittedly don't feel very sad. I see it as a release from suffering, since the very old animals (and people) in my life who died were in a lot of pain prior to death.
    On the other hand, when an animal (or person) dies young, due to accidents, I find it very hard to just accept and move on as if everything is fine/normal.
  • edited April 2010
    I watched that PBS thing about Buddha's life the other day. It talked about how Buddha heard news of his home village being attacked and many of his friends/family dying.. and he grieved. The point of the anecdote seemed to be that even he was sometimes sad, and accepting that feeling was part of life, or something along those lines. Maybe I am mis-remembering? Anyone else see this?

Yeah, I remember seeing this. But following that statement (if I remember correctly), they said that it showed that Buddha, too, was a human and that he failed as well.

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    It talked about how Buddha heard news of his home village being attacked and many of his friends/family dying.. and he grieved.

This is the first I have heard of this. It seems quite uncharacteristic from what I have read in the Pali Canon. I would be interested if someone could cite the original source.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I remember seeing this. But following that statement (if I remember correctly), they said that it showed that Buddha, too, was a human and that he failed as well.

Yes, there were quite a few cringe-worthy details in that PBS show. I couldn't watch it all, my equanimity is not strong enough.
  • edited April 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    This is the first I have heard of this. It seems quite uncharacteristic from what I have read in the Pali Canon. I would be interested if someone could cite the original source.

Yeah, I kind of felt that way too. He reached supreme Enlightenment, and that seems like something a fully awakened one wouldn't do. (Nor do I think he "failed" as I noted in my previous post.)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Does grief really appear to be so distant from nature?
  • edited April 2010
    Yes, there were quite a few cringe-worthy details in that PBS show. I couldn't watch it all, my equanimity is not strong enough.

Yeah, but there were very few cringe-worthy moments. The rare Dalai Lama appearances in it were great of course!
  • edited April 2010
    aMatt wrote: »

Well, grief is part of dukkha and Buddha was fully liberated from dukkha.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Irris,
    When an old animal (or person) dies after living a long happy life, I admittedly don't feel very sad. I see it as a release from suffering, since the very old animals (and people) in my life who died were in a lot of pain prior to death.
    On the other hand, when an animal (or person) dies young, due to accidents, I find it very hard to just accept and move on as if everything is fine/normal.

This, I believe, is due to the gap between how we think the world SHOULD be and how it actually is. Drop the expectations and there's no problem.

If we look at the leaves which have fallen from a tree, many of them are old, brown, yellow, decaying. Some of the leaves which have falled are still bright green, full of life. Also, some of the leaves still clinging to the tree are very old and dried out.

In the same way, many of the dead bodies in cemetaries are old bodies. A few of them are middle aged or young. Some people still clinging to life are very old and dried out.

Having been born, we are subject to the possibility of death at any time in any number of possible ways. This is the way it is. The difference between seeing things as they really are and seeing things as we want it to be is the degree to which we create suffering for ourselves.

With Metta,

Guy
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010

No.
    'Nature' grieves.
    We just hold onto the baggage....
    That's contrary to nature.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Here is an excellent article about death for anyone who is interested:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/gunaratna/wheel102.html
  • IrrisIrris Explorer
    edited April 2010
    I like the analogy with the leaves. It is beautiful and simple, and of course it would be nice if that's really how it felt. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) we have personalities and stories much more amazing and complex than that of a leaf...
    I sure hope that isn't eligible for another "that's just unnecessary attachment" reminder :/

Guy - thanks for the link, I'll read it :)
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I sure hope that isn't eligible for another "that's just unnecessary attachment" reminder :/

Nononono...it's not, I promise, I wouldn't want anyone to think that I am attached to talking about attachment.
  • IrrisIrris Explorer
    edited April 2010
    hahaha
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    grief is part of dukkha

I am not convinced. I see this:

Grieving big for small things: dukkha
    Grieving small for small things: tathata
    Grieving small for big things: dukkha
    Grieving big for big things: tathata

Accept what is in front of you, not transform it or pretend it is something it is not? It seems only the attempting to transform the big to the small or the small to the big that accumulations happen.

With warmth,

Matt
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Accept what is in front of you, not transform it or pretend it is something it is not?
    don't amplify it, which i think is the most common behavior.

ex:
    We feel stressed a bit because the financial situation is uncertain, so we react to this by spending the next 2 hours thinking about how terrible the situation might get, thinking about why does this happen to me, thinking about how sad it is that our life is so unlucky, feeling guilty about what we or someone else didn't do to prevent this situation...

2 hours of this and we went from a small stress to not being able to sleep.

We pick up this habit of reacting in this fashion to our feelings and it become a conditioning and we get an anxiety disorder (or depression etc...).

conditioning =we do it often enough, our brain help us with this task and make it easier for us to do.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Matt,
    I am not convinced. I see this:

Grieving big for small things: dukkha
    Grieving small for small things: tathata
    Grieving small for big things: dukkha
    Grieving big for big things: tathata

Here I go again...This is not what the Buddha taught!
    "Suffering, as a noble truth, is this: Birth is suffering, aging is suffering, sickness is suffering, death is suffering, sorrow and lamentation, pain, grief and despair are suffering; association with the loathed is suffering, dissociation from the loved is suffering, not to get what one wants is suffering — in short, suffering is the five categories of clinging objects.
    "Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta: Setting Rolling the Wheel of Truth" (SN 56.11), translated from the Pali by Ñanamoli Thera. Access to Insight, June 7, 2009, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn56/sn56.011.nymo.html

There's no such thing as grief which is dukkha and grief which isn't dukkha. Grief is dukkha. Period.

With Metta,

Guy
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I know its been awhile but I can try to research this in my sangha. I know they do a number of practices at deaths. I will ask someone in my sangha and write back. :)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    There's no such thing as grief which is dukkha and grief which isn't dukkha. Grief is dukkha. Period.

Again, it appears you cling to words as a safety net. I bet Buddha did not say "grief" one time in his life. 'Periods' have a way of limiting our ability to see truth when confronted by it!

It might be easier if you look at pain... because in that same verse it says that pain is suffering, but it is not! Pain is a body sensation that makes us alert. I remember my teacher distinguishing this by asking me "If the Buddha stepped on a thorn, would he experience pain?" The answer is of course, but it might not look the same, as there wouldn't be a causal attribution made toward it, nor a bounding of mental fixations etc. (he wouldn't be mad at the thorn for instance)

This is why I look at grief in this way. Grief/despair might very well be suffering, but grief/healing is a body experience and not intrinsically tied to confusion.

Careful you don't get so caught in the finger that you miss the moon.

With warmth,

Matt
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I mean this to both Trans and Guy, I just grabbed Trans' posting. And I'm not having a go at either of you, merely wish to point out something in regards to what you both have said ....

The Buddha was a man, an enlightened man, but a man nonetheless. We need to remember that, lest we assign qualities to him that are not befitting of a man. I don't think it's "beneath" the Buddha to grieve or experience other human emotions. After all, during insight meditation isn't the aim to watch emotions arise, experience and observe them and let them go?

Respectfully,
    Raven
    Yeah, I kind of felt that way too. He reached supreme Enlightenment, and that seems like something a fully awakened one wouldn't do. (Nor do I think he "failed" as I noted in my previous post.)
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Matt,
    Again, it appears you cling to words as a safety net. I bet Buddha did not say "grief" one time in his life. 'Periods' have a way of limiting our ability to see truth when confronted by it!

As I have mentioned elsewhere, words are all we have to go by when it comes to finding out what are the actual teachings of the Buddha. Without the words of the Buddha as the foundation to our practice, there is no Buddhist practice.

Granted, we can never be sure that one particular Sutta is accurately representing what the Buddha taught. The various redactors over 2500 years may have added or taken away details and so on. We can counteract this effect by cross-referencing many different texts and check for the common ground between them. Those obscure details that are only mentioned once or twice we can put to one side. Then, it is most likely we will be getting a more accurate depiction of what the Buddha actually did teach. But without any basis in the Suttas then where are we supposed to start?

I am not a scholar, far from it, I am a practitioner first and foremost. However, an important part of the practice is to correct our wrong views. I think an intelligent and wise way to do this is by incorporating time for study as PART OF our practice (since unfortunately we cannot go to the Buddha and ask him questions like in the good old days). This is not mistaking the finger for the moon, this is the (work-in-progress) of trying to see if the finger is pointing in the right direction and seeing if that finger (probably) belongs to the Buddha.
    Grief/despair might very well be suffering, but grief/healing is a body experience and not intrinsically tied to confusion.

I disagree. Grief (as I understand it) is primarily an emotional phenomena, not physical. It may have secondary physiological effects (lethargy, loss of appetite, weeping, etc), but in itself it is not physical.
    Careful you don't get so caught in the finger that you miss the moon.

Thank you, I will be careful.

With Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Raven,
    The Buddha was a man, an enlightened man, but a man nonetheless. We need to remember that, lest we assign qualities to him that are not befitting of a man. I don't think it's "beneath" the Buddha to grieve or experience other human emotions.

At the risk of being branded a fundamentalist, I will let the Suttas do the talking... :D
    Then Dona, following the Blessed One's footprints, saw him sitting at the root of the tree: confident, inspiring confidence, his senses calmed, his mind calmed, having attained the utmost control & tranquility, tamed, guarded, his senses restrained, a naga.1 On seeing him, he went to him and said, "Master, are you a deva?"2 "No, brahman, I am not a deva."
    "Are you a gandhabba?"
    "No..."
    "... a yakkha?"
    "No..."
    "... a human being?"
    "No, brahman, I am not a human being."

"Dona Sutta: With Dona" (AN 4.36), translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. Access to Insight, June 7, 2009, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.036.than.html

As far as I understand, the Buddha is only capable of four pure emotions: Metta (Kindness), Karuna (Compassion), Mudita (Joy for other's good fortune) and Uppekha (Equanimity). Grief is an emotion which is based on delusion, which the Buddha has abandoned totally and irreversibly.

After all, during insight meditation isn't the aim to watch emotions arise, experience and observe them and let them go?

As far as I know, "Insight Meditation" is a modern invention and not what the Buddha taught. I am prepared to be proven wrong on this point though if you can find a reference to it in the Suttas.

With Metta,

Guy
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I don't suggest that you bypass the suttas, it is clear how much resonance you feel with them! I suggest, is that in looking at them, perhaps you're making concrete which need not be? As you watch the quoted sutta unfold, are those concrete periods really what you get from them? We hear different things! Do you happen to be an engineer?

I hear a direct pointing at natural phenomena. For instance, pain is said to be suffering, but I have already covered that, to crickets. Sorrow is said to be suffering, actually "sorrow and lamenting" if we go by comma separated pairings. Do you hear confusion arise, in the absence of correct viewing of nature, as one laments about their sorrow in a way that uproots them from their equanimity?

I suppose if you consider sorrow, grief and pain to be impossible in the same space as equanimity, this subtly would be unavailable. This isn't about being scholarly, as I am not either! This is about looking at the rising of the phenomena without attachment to it.

As a last question, do you consider Buddha as not a human being? I see that sutta, and again, if that is your drawn conclusion I can see why we have such a time sharing views on things. As I read that, I smile and feel what he was saying, and also consider him a human being. To me, he's saying that the concepts are not applicable, because from his side he is empty. Much like a chair is not actually anything conceptual from its own side, yet, smiling, I consider it perhaps a maya-chair because as a maya-chair, I can relate the non-conceptual experience of it to others.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited April 2010
    As a last question, do you consider Buddha as not a human being? I see that sutta, and again, if that is your drawn conclusion I can see why we have such a time sharing views on things. As I read that, I smile and feel what he was saying, and also consider him a human being.

With warmth,

Matt

There is no self, so he is not a human being. Of course, he has the same status as any of us as he is not a god. If he is a god, he is a god in the same sense that we all are. So in short, yes, he is a human being (paradoxically). lol.

The difference between Buddha and us, is that he had attained supreme Enlightenment, the omniscience of Nirvana, in this lifetime and revealed it (I don't like that word because I don't feel it's revelation, but rather sharing knowledge that one has already attained) unto Samsara.
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Guy,

I am quite happy for you to use the Suttas :) As I have stated on previous threads, I am still quite new, so I'm happy to have any misinterpretation on my behalf pointed out and corrected.

I was not aware the Buddha stated he was not human. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Respectfully,
    Raven
    Hi Raven,

At the risk of being branded a fundamentalist, I will let the Suttas do the talking... :D

"Dona Sutta: With Dona" (AN 4.36), translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. Access to Insight, June 7, 2009, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.036.than.html

As far as I understand, the Buddha is only capable of four pure emotions: Metta (Kindness), Karuna (Compassion), Mudita (Joy for other's good fortune) and Uppekha (Equanimity). Grief is an emotion which is based on delusion, which the Buddha has abandoned totally and irreversibly.

As far as I know, "Insight Meditation" is a modern invention and not what the Buddha taught. I am prepared to be proven wrong on this point though if you can find a reference to it in the Suttas.

With Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Matt,
    Sorrow is said to be suffering, actually "sorrow and lamenting" if we go by comma separated pairings. Do you hear confusion arise, in the absence of correct viewing of nature, as one laments about their sorrow in a way that uproots them from their equanimity?

If you could be so kind as to provide a source in the Suttas for this view I would be very grateful. Otherwise, I see no need to make such an elaborate speculation over two simple words.
    As a last question, do you consider Buddha as not a human being?

No, I consider that the unenlightened Prince Siddhartha was a human being. My understanding is that the Buddha was not a human being.
    As I read that, I smile and feel what he was saying, and also consider him a human being.

How do you draw this conclusion when the Sutta states the exact opposite?

With Metta,

Guy
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi Raven,
    I was not aware the Buddha stated he was not human. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

You're welcome.

I notice you live in Sydney, there are some really good Dhamma teachers there.

Bhante Sujato stays at Santi Forest Monastery, he has an exceptional knowledge of the Pali Suttas. I would highly recommend getting in contact with him if you are interested in studying the Suttas.

Also there is Ajahn Khemavaro who stays at Wat Buddha Dhamma which is just outside of Sydney. These forest-dwelling monks are hard to get to (they don't tend to hang out in the city!) but the effort of going and visiting them is well worth it.

With Metta,

Guy
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Otherwise, I see no need to make such an elaborate speculation over two simple words.

I do it because the words point at what is actually a non-conceptual happening in the external that is different than any single or dual word depiction can accurately capture. Its not speculation, its depiction. Collapsing the non-conceptual into concepts is an imperfect mechanism.
    No, I consider that the unenlightened Prince Siddhartha was a human being. My understanding is that the Buddha was not a human being.
    How do you draw this conclusion when the Sutta states the exact opposite?

I explained this in the next few sentences. All forms, from every rock to every person is made up of the same non-conceptual 'stuff' as the buddha. "To me, he's saying that the concepts are not applicable, because from his side he is empty." However, this is the true nature of all phenomena, no? Transitory? Non-conceptual?

Buddha said that we should come to see the truths though deep looking and discernment... not the blind interpreting of words.

With warmth,
    Matt
  • IrrisIrris Explorer
    edited April 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    I know its been awhile but I can try to research this in my sangha. I know they do a number of practices at deaths. I will ask someone in my sangha and write back. :)
    Thank you!! I really appreciate it :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Irris someone in my sangha suggested I could find something in a book written by my lama about death and dying. It mentions pets in particular in the book. I actually bought the book and read part and I just need to see where I have laid it somewhere. So I'm working on it. :o
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited April 2010

Many animals grieve their dead. Elephants do it, the higher primates do it. I think it's perfectly natural. Whether it's "Buddhist" or not I can't say, but I do think it's a natural instinct to grieve over the loss of someone (some being) that you hold dear. Perhaps that's attachment, but I guess I'm not spiritual enough to not grieve at least a little. I understand death as a natural part of life (as I believe animals do better than most humans), but that doesn't mean I don't miss the interaction with those who have gone before me. I'd love to have more time to spend with my grandfather and with my favorite dogs. I guess I'll just have to wait until next time around :)

Mtns
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    "From the Buddhist perspective, animals are as much persons as human beings, so everything in this book abut humans and death applies equally to animals. Animals go through the same process of dissolution, Clear Light, intermediate state, and rebirth; as Natsok Rangdrol says, the Clear Light 'appears even to the tiniest insect'. We can also benefit a dying or dead animal by practising for them in the same way I have described. Similarly, most of what I say in the next chapter about relieving suffering, ending life, and disposing of the body applies equally to animals. Lastly, as many pet owners have discovered, bereavement at the death of an animal is no different from bereavement at the death of a dear friend.

It is important to think of the animal as not just an animal, but as a being with Buddha Nature who has become temporarily lodged in an animal body. Once it has died, it is unknown what its next birth will be. There is no reason to suppose it will not be reborn as a god, a king, or a great Bodhisattva. From the Buddhist perspective of karma even a great meditator can temporarily be trapped in an animal body before progressing on their path to Awakening. It is even possible for a great Bodhisattva to take birth as an animal (or any other kind of being) for the benefit of others."

"In this chapter I talk briefly about bereavement and related issues. The reader will need to look at books that deal specifically with bereavement some of which I recommend in the suggested reading section, for a more thorough treatment of this important subject.

INtenese bereavement is about as close as we can possibly get to experienceing death and groundlessness outside of death itself. It can thrust us into a frightening no man's land similar to the intermediate state between death and rebirth. We can find ourselves suspended between past and future, suddenly cut off from all our associations with the deceased, having to die to our old way of life, and feeling we have lost our sense of identity.

If it's true that this is like dying, then the experience of bereavement can be a terrible but an amazing gift, a wake-up experience, a Dharma practice. Many people have noticed this deeply spiritual dimension to bereavement.

There are of course various levels of bereavement, depending on one's degree of attachment and closeness to the dead person and how much he or she was integral to one's sense of wellbeing and feeling loved. But any bereavement can be an important Dharma practice, because at the very least it brings us face to face with our own mortality. That in itself is a shock and can be hard to handle especially if it is something we have never really related to before.

The Shock of Death

A big part of the suffering of grief either before or after a dear one's death is brought on by shock. In Tibetan culture this condition is described in terms of the life-force (tsolung in Tibetan). It is said that the life forece or subtle energy of the body which usually functions and moves in the heart, is severely blocked owing to shock. I think the custom of beating one's breast familiar from many cultures clearly reflects a similar understanindg of the need to get the life force moving again. While it is blocked (as also happens in depression) one's whole will to live drops away, everything appears colorless and meaningless. Even to perform the simplest of functions involves a tremendous effort. There is very little point in trying to talk about the meaning of life to someone in this condition. There is no energy or inspiration in one's thinking and in fact it is important not to think too much at a time like that.

Anything that gets the life force moving such as physical exercise walking massage or just pottering about are good for someone in this condition in fact anything that keeps one moving, but doesn't take too much thinking energy. Light hearted but sensitive company is a tremendous help. This is where pets, family, friends, and especially the support of fellow practitioners and spiritually like minded people can play an important role.

It is good to set yourself a routine that keeps you moving without getting frantically involved in lots of things. There is often a lot to do when someone dies, and it is likely to be a very busy time. This can take one's mind off things for awhile, which provides some much needed movement, but when all the business dies down, one should not be surprised to find that it can take a very long time for the life force to recover. It often happens that everyone is very attentive around the funeral for the first month of so after death of a loved one. About three months after that when death has become more real the bereaved seem to need more help and it is often just at the time that most friends and family have withdrawn.

It is very helpful if one can somehow feel the heart connection that one has with the deceased person and learn to trust that. It reaffirms the value of a person and our connections at a time when we are very opn to the true essence of what that means. Doing things for the deceased at that time helps reinforce the sense of connectedness. Meditation, offerings, pranidhanas, mantras, tonglesn, feasts, and dedicating the power of our practice (punya) for the deceased, as well as talking to them, can help the person doing these things as much as it helps the deceased. The more faith one has in all these practices the better, but even simply being open to the posssibility that there is meaning n them helps the heart. It helps one feel there is a truth and dignity inherent in a long standing spiritual tradition that feels supportive and inspires confidence. This can be true even if one is not sure one can go along with all the implied beliefs. The reassurance this gives the bereaved helps counter the overwhelming feeling of meaninglessness that is likely to descend on them. It provides some sense of groundedness without which it is very hard to recover.

I believe the whole process of recovering the life force can take several years but it does recover and during that time it tends to chop and change. Sometimes it seems to have picked up energy and sometimes the energy drops again apparently for no reason. Knowing this is likely helps us to face it with courage. It is very important to turn towards and acknowledge what is happening and to let it be, without complicating things by thinking should be able to do better."
  • IrrisIrris Explorer
    edited April 2010
    Interesting, thank you Jeffrey!