Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What's wrong with polygamy?

13»

Comments

• edited July 2010
    hmm.... yeah. ok. no problem.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    When I was married I had enough problems with one set of in laws.Don't know if I could've coped with any more telling me how I should live my life.
  • hjym2_hjym2_ New
    edited October 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    Was there ANY chance that marriage could be what it was supposed to be? Actually, there WAS. There IS. I've known some of these couples, as best friends, as family ... and whether they've been together over 60 years or only over 30, they all hold this in common: the love is still there, they are each other's best friends, they have common interests, but they also have individual interests (which the other helps facilitate). Couples like this DO exist (they are all legally married, by the way). But it takes two very emotionally mature, very aware, very trusting individuals who are willing to put the other's well-being on par with their own.

Hey,

Are you talking about my relationship ?;)
    I have been with my boyfriend for 6 years, not married though. But he is exactly what you said: my bestfriend. Sometimes we may have sex, but for example now we haven't had for months and still we are completely happy about our relationship. So it's not based on sex, neither on romantic things.
    Just friendship.
    We just live together because we like it better than being alone. It's nicer to do "projects" together, have someone to have discussions with etc...

I think this takes just two persons who has similar interests and deep friendship and trust on each others. Who just enjoy being together. And strong sex drive may be hard issue, since those things often cause problems...
  • yildunyildun Explorer
    edited October 2010
    I would hate to spend the rest of my life with any woman stupid
    enough to want t marry me :
  • Love-N-PeaceLove-N-Peace Veteran
    edited October 2010
    LOL
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I've got nothing against it. Not my cup of tea though. One girlfriend is expensive enough!

Exactly!
    edited October 2010
    Depends who you ask?
    It really does depend on each individual...
    edited October 2010
    nanadhaja wrote: »
    When I was married I had enough problems with one set of in laws.Don't know if I could've coped with any more telling me how I should live my life.

Right!:)
  • edited December 2010
    hjym2_ wrote: »
    Hey,

Are you talking about my relationship ?;)
    I have been with my boyfriend for 6 years, not married though. But he is exactly what you said: my bestfriend. Sometimes we may have sex, but for example now we haven't had for months and still we are completely happy about our relationship. So it's not based on sex, neither on romantic things.
    Just friendship.
    We just live together because we like it better than being alone. It's nicer to do "projects" together, have someone to have discussions with etc...

I think this takes just two persons who has similar interests and deep friendship and trust on each others. Who just enjoy being together. And strong sex drive may be hard issue, since those things often cause problems...

Sounds like what in the States these days they call "friends with benefits"!:lol: But who's knocking it, if it works? It also sounds like that "unconditional love" thing that people on other threads have been puzzling over. You guys have pulled it off--congrats! :) No mean feat--you're lucky to have each other.
  • edited December 2010
    Its just too damm expensive for the men !

All those women wanting new shoes and outfits every five minutes...Sheesh
  • edited December 2010
    Its just too damm expensive for the men !

Not if it's the women who have multiple spouses. 3 incomes, or 3 farmhands or 3 handymen keeping the house ship-shape. Think of all the shoes etc. a women could buy on 3 guys' incomes! You're looking at it the wrong way, Dr. Donna. ;)
  • edited December 2010
    Not if it's the women who have multiple spouses. 3 incomes, or 3 farmhands or 3 handymen keeping the house ship-shape. Think of all the shoes etc. a women could buy on 3 guys' incomes! You're looking at it the wrong way, Dr. Donna. ;)

Then the men would be very tired...(Searches for little blue pill)
  • edited December 2010
    I'm guessing that would be a very happy tired :)
    edited December 2010

Ye sexists, grr :rant: :p
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    *hee hee* This is a fun thread. And we have Luv to thank for it. (Are you sure you're just 12 or 13 years old? You have some awfully interesting ideas for a 12/13-yr. old. )

quote=Simonthepilgrim;101769]It strikes me that polygamy and monogamy, in fact marriage in general, have seemed to arise where the control and ownership of property is involved./quote]

This is exactly why Tibetans are polyandrous. Property is inherited through the male line, and becomes fragmented after generations. 2 or 3 brothers marry the same wife in order to keep their farmland whole. According to news reports, in Ladakh (extreme west of the Tibetan cultural area), now that the standard of living is rising and some men are able to get wage jobs, they are opting to use their money to buy land and have a wife all to themselves.

As someone said earlier, it can be exhausting for one man to keep several wives satisfied. It works the opposite way for women; women tend to get energized from "frequent activity". Polygyny doesn't make sense in view of biological reality (sorry, gents). Polyandry does.

Hey, don't take it out on me; Luv started this. :rolleyes:
    edited December 2010
    No, I just pretend to 13, I'm really a lonely 43 yo sat in his London attic, tapping away :p

And I'm Luv, they can't blame it on me! :D
    Out of interest, what is it called in a polygamous relation containing just men or just women?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    You're hilarious, Luv. I suspect you should probably skip a grade in school; you're wasting your time in what in the States is called "junior high school". You need to trade in your "Miss" for someone more advanced and in touch with reality. If I may venture an opinion. (Hopefully this doesn't count as "wrong speech"... :P )

Interesting question. I don't think that situation has a name. I've never heard of it happening in any traditional culture around the world, and it seems to be anthropologists who come up with these labels. I don't think the anthros were prepared for a 13-yr. old's imagination!
    edited December 2010
    Well Miss only teaches us for under 50 minutes a week. The teacher we have most would be our English teacher, and she's really nice.
    edited December 2010
    I don't see, whatever I previously said, (:D) How anybody could be in love with more than one person...
    edited December 2010
    ...could be sort of fun though...
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    LoveNPeace wrote: »
    I don't see, whatever I previously said, (:D) How anybody could be in love with more than one person...

This is a good question. I sometimes wonder if people aren't deluding themselves, thinking that it's true love with more than one person. I wonder if underneath, it's more like emotional neediness, or power or ego trips. But think of a mother and her children; generally they love all their children equally. So maybe that's possible in adult relationships as well.

Your Eng. teacher is nice, but do you feel sufficiently challenged in school? Do you find the work a bit easy, or boring? Just wondering.
    edited December 2010
    I'm in top set for everything, and I say the work is good. I'm not swishing through it, but I'm not falling behind :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Great. Carry on, then. :)