Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

buying a gong

patbbpatbb Veteran
edited April 2010 in General Banter
Hello,

I would like to buy 2 gongs.

One medium or big,

One Vipassana gong
(I notice they always use the same gong for the retreats everywhere)

Anybody have suggestions on where to buy?

I would like the Vipassana gong to be authentic, meaning same material, same tone...

Also I'm under the impression that the tone of the gongs are adjusted to get a precise note, anyone have some info that i could consider?

What about material, anything i should be looking for? anything i should stay away from?

This is just for fun, it's not very important but somewhy i would like to get proper gongs so I will appreciate any help.

Thank you very much and have a great evening!

Comments

• edited April 2010
    also consider crafting your own from discarded metal or other gong-suitable material! should be a good project! but if you're looking for a PRECISE tone then SCRATCH that
  • edited April 2010
    I'd say buy from an reputed source cause there are many fakes all over the place.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I'd say buy from an reputed source cause there are many fakes all over the place.
    but who is a reputable source?

I know i can get some pretty cheap stuff from china town...

But i don't know what could be a "reputable" source.

I dunno any thai Buddhist stores or anything.