Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

carnivore and vegetarian, no difference?

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I know there is a topic just below me, I didnt want to intrude on there current discussion. (though if it is apropriate feel free to merge it)

I was curious though. I understand the point of vegetarianism and why people prefer it, I am wondering why people chose to be vegetarian and if it is for the right reason.

Killing is wrong, and if we could avoid it great, everyone would be a lot happier, but it is a part of life on this word and we are still quite far away from manufacturing food that doesnt kill life.

My worry is, how do people see animals different from plants and why is plant life treated differently from animal life?

Both are alive, both need food, water. Both concive, though in different ways. Both eventually die. Both on the most basic of levels are exactly the same, both animals and plans are made up of living cells.

So why do we see animals in such higher light than plants?

I find it hard to seperate the two, understandably people find it easier to relate to animals, the are a similar kind of life to ourselfs, I do to, but even if animals are more conseous, have a brain, can made dicisions on some levels I cant help but go back to the though that all life no mater its intelegance if it is plant life or animal life should be treated the same.

Obviously there are other things to think about, the treatment of animals is a big reason not to eat meat, especially if you cant find out about there treatment before you consider eating any meat. Plants and vegetables are a lot easier on this regard, organic products are more than likely to come from a good source.

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    My worry is, how do people see animals different from plants and why is plant life treated differently from animal life?

What's the difference between you and a plant? And what does intelligence have to do with the ability to conceive pain?
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Why stop at plants? When it boils down to it, everything is just atoms.

If we can differentiate objects at all, and i think we can, then there is an appreciable difference between the potential suffering of animals and plants.
  • edited April 2010
    What's the difference between you and a plant?
    Essentially, none. I may be more aware of things than a plant but then every type of life has things it can do that others cant.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The central nervous system is a pretty big doozy when you're pulling a spine out of a live animal vs uprooting a carrot. For starters :)

It gets even more complex when you look at the relationship animals have with their environments. For instance, factory chickens are so angry that they have to have their beaks cut almost completely off so they don't peck each other to death. That anger (according to Thich Nhat Hahn) is connected to the consumer... we are what we eat.

I'm not a veggie or animal advocate for the record, simply giving a seed of what differentiates the two.

Happy hunting,

Matt
  • edited April 2010
    Plants do not have a nervous system. Pain/suffering is a product of the mind. Plants do not suffer as animals suffer. Sure, they are "alive," but that's not really the point.

Animals have a desire to live a comfortable life. When this desire is not met, they suffer. Plants do not desire anything.

And as a side note, many plants are spread through the droppings of animals. In this case, being eaten actually makes the plant thrive.
  • edited April 2010
    Daozen wrote: »
    Why stop at plants? When it boils down to it, everything is just atoms.

If we can differentiate objects at all, and i think we can, then there is an appreciable difference between the potential suffering of animals and plants.
    There is a difference between there suffering, it is really easy to make an animal suffer more than a plant, but should that be a reason to not eat meat?

But I could actually agree with you. Why should we stop at plants, take Earth. Not nessiserally a living organism by the usual definition. It doesnt suffer in the usual pain equals suffering sort of way so we take advantage of our planet by tearing down forests miing and drilling into its core to take out metals and oil. But The Earth its self is very delicate. The entire solar system provides a delicate structure for life to live. If we dont think about what we take from the Earth eventually it wont support us and everything will die.

So you could be right, we should treat everything with equality, even a rock. Afterall if the Earth and everything around us supports our existance does it not deserve our respect in every way?
  • edited April 2010
    We do need to be more careful about our treatment of the earth (global warming, depletion of resources, contamination of ecosystems, etc.). But as you said, the earth sustains us. This is ultimately a concern about our own survival, not the survival of the earth itself. The earth will be fine, but we may make it uninhabitable for human and/or other life. If we wipe most species off this planet (including ourselves), the planet itself will be just fine and after a long time (millions of years, aka a blink of an eye) new life will evolve.

Eden, would you suggest that we all starve ourselves to death? I know that there are some who consider death-by-starvation the ultimate selflessness, but I am not so sure. If we respect the earth because it sustains our life and because of this respect we commit a slow painful suicide, the earth then no longer supports our life...and then does it no longer deserve our respect? Do you see what I'm getting at?
  • edited April 2010
    Eden wrote: »
    There is a difference between there suffering, it is really easy to make an animal suffer more than a plant, but should that be a reason to not eat meat?
    what about putting human beings out of their misery? if we eat meat to perpetuate ourselves, couldn't we also euthanize people who are burdensome to the good of the whole? this may be an hyperbole, but you know i'm just trying to follow where it's going.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Mmm Eden Burger.