Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sokkai Gakka International

edited July 2010 in Buddhism Today
Man, I hate this cult. I went to a few of their discussion meetings to see if I could find out what their strange Japanese chants were all about. All I found was alot of seriously delluded people, many of them drug users, who thought this chant would bring them happiness and success.

I have no doubt in my mind this is merely and money grabbing cult (donations are encouraged and fees for classes are a must), and watching videos of "Preisdent" Ikeda made me sick. He mocked his students (cult followers) and seemed quite happy to be figure head, almost worshiped and basked in glory. I don't know why anyone would put up with it.

When I was there I asked practitioners of this bizzare cult what they actually knew about Budhism, and they new nothing, they didn't even know what Theravada meant. The chants went on for nearly an hour and it was abysmal.

I don't think this Cult has anything to do with Buddhism, its simply a cult that has organised itself very well. It sickens me it has anything to do with Buddhism.

Have any of you guys had anything to do with this shambolic, rubbish,nonsence that is SGI? Would be interesting to hear.

And yes, if your SGI I don't make any apologies for my stance, as its true.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    "If you hate resent or deplore something or someone, you hold it as trapped in your heart as if you loved it with all your might".

Hatred never ceases through Hatred......

Learn to be wary, protect yourself, and guard against that which doesn't not bear truth for you.
    but 'hating' it?

Nooooo......
    Not worth it.
  • edited April 2010
    Hi,

I can't help but hate a lie thats set up to make money.

Thanks
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Stream wrote: »
    Hi,

I can't help but hate a lie thats set up to make money.

Thanks

This is saying "I am willing to hand over my happiness and serenity whenever I think about or interact with these people". This does nothing good for you.
  • edited April 2010
    OK then, hate aside, this clearly is a bad cult.
  • edited April 2010
    I think Federica and aMatt are saying... Let it go.

I found there was a group in my area a few weeks ago and it smelled fishy to me... Just didn't feel right.
  • edited April 2010
    When people are using Buddhism to lure people into Cult like organisations thats more than fishy, its a crime. I won't have it and I can't let thats go.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    There have been people who speak of happiness through experiencing this SGI. I wonder what you are so afraid of in that building? It would be one thing to simply love all of those involved with SGI from the leaders to the lay community, quite another to become so entranced by your own fears.
  • edited April 2010
    Its got nothing to do with my own fears. I'm not afraid of happiness, I'm afraid of cults that brainwash people and dellude them into a false happiness. I seriously don't understand where your coming from, your trying to be deep but your quite inaccurate.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Its got nothing to do with my own fears. I'm not afraid of happiness, I'm afraid of cults that brainwash people and dellude them into a false happiness. I seriously don't understand where your coming from, your trying to be deep but your quite inaccurate.

I'm not trying to be deep, I'm trying to be direct. I was simply pointing out that those bolded areas in your words might be useful to look upon.
  • edited April 2010
    The fear of Cults is not a misplaced fear. I don't want to be assimilated, brainwashed or misinformed.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    The fear of Cults is not a misplaced fear. I don't want to be assimilated, brainwashed or misinformed.

Do you think you could?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Oh yes, certainly.
    Constant exposure to a certain train of thought, skilfully and subtly administered, can move mountains.....
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Oh yes, certainly.
    Constant exposure to a certain train of thought, skilfully and subtly administered, can move mountains.....

I mean him. Not the general "you". For instance, Fede, would you consider yourself apt to be "assimilated, brainwashed or misinformed"?
    edited April 2010
    Certainly.
    I cannot believe that every single person ever exposed to the influences of a misguided, despotic, sadistic, sexually depraved maniac were all moronic idiots.

I was a devout Roman Catholic for 40 years or so.
    need I say more? :D
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Lol, someone seems spunky. Which maniac were you talking about? The Pope?
  • edited April 2010
    I can see through SGI. Alot of people can't. People think its true Buddhism when it actually has very little to do with it. Its that which I take offence to. If I was brought up in SGI I would be brainwashed, no doubt. Fortunatly I wasn't, but SGI does alot of "youth work", claiming the importance of youth.

I don't know why you stick up for SGI Matt, but I never will.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    their points was (i guess) that you can want to do something about it, thats not the problem.

But fear and hatred are unnecessary and unskillful as they cloud your own judgment, create suffering in yourself and possibly others etc...

You can want to do something about any issue that is important for you with an open mind and a smile on your face.

Do yourself good and let go (not necessarely of the cause but of these unskillful emotions).

:)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I can see through SGI. Alot of people can't. People think its true Buddhism when it actually has very little to do with it. Its that which I take offence to. If I was brought up in SGI I would be brainwashed, no doubt. Fortunatly I wasn't, but SGI does alot of "youth work", claiming the importance of youth.

I don't know why you stick up for SGI Matt, but I never will.

I stick up for them because they are part of my family, and while all of their practices may not be healthy, condemnation for anything is a subject of our own ignorance, rather than accurate and true observation of reality.

Injust action and aggressive activism against it are both rooted in samsara.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited April 2010
    Part of your family? I'm sorry I don't understand, you have family members in SGI?

There is a lengthy peice on them in a Rick Ross forum, which I found a link to on another thread in this forum, are they ignorant too? I think not.

SGI is a money grabbing cult and I'll have none of it Matt.

Peace,

Stream
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I hear you Stream, and your adamance is understandable. I do have family members in SGI, though I don't know any of them personally. Just because one does not have full and righteous behavior does not justify turning our hearts cold toward them. From my view that is.

Good luck,

Matt
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    SGI is a money grabbing cult and I'll have none of it Matt.
    http://c0170351.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/14021_5476_l.jpg
    they seem to be "money grabbing", in as much as they grabbed enough to build some of the most astonishing buildings in the entire world..

Will you nurture anger and hatred toward every one of the organized religions as well?

What about every other sects and cults?

you will end up being very busy hating...
  • edited April 2010
    Nope, I have been involved in several organisations in Christianity, Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism and I don't have time to name them all. However some of them are called Cults and I didn't think they were all bad. SGI however is an aweful Cult, its not a nice Cult, but truely terrible. Its the only "Cult" I have had involvment with that I can say I truely hate with every inch within me, and for good reason. Look on the rick ross forum for SGI.

Peace Patt.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    and for good reason
    There are no good reason for hate.

On top of what i said previously,
    patbb wrote:
    fear and hatred are unnecessary and unskillful as the only possible result of these are to cloud your own judgment, create suffering in yourself and possibly others etc...

You can want to do something about any issue that is important for you with an open mind and a smile on your face.

Let's say you want to do something to stop this cult from hurting peoples.

All you can do in your life is to do your best.

You cannot do your best if you have hate inside.
    Your best can only come if your mind is not clouded with hate and fear.

So the more important a cause is to you, the more you want to make sure that you do not nurture hatred as it would prevent you from doing your best, on top of creating much suffering.
  • edited April 2010
    minus the hate and some unskillful thinking stream is not far off the mark. they are a manipulative organization that takes advantage of a certain demographic. there's nothing wrong in observing that. helping someone become aware of their grifting would be a positive action.
  • edited April 2010
    I...think all this animosity is completely misguided. I don't blame you whatsoever, Stream, are you kidding?? How could anyone? I think he *Stream* was solely asking for more information about the said 'cult'. Oftentimes, even from my own experience, I have noticed that I get angry with anything i don't understand, or it's causes are not clear to me. On the surface, and maybe all the way through, Stream's accusations could be accurate. I think it would be more productive to actually talk about the group and gain knowledge collectively than to judge how one is thinking about it. . . Because by changing the sources, the perspective could be changed, also...
    *namaste*
  • edited April 2010
    Annndd, i just moved to Denver, CO..and I noticed one of those SGI buildings near where I work. I was interested for sure, and every class was really expensive. On their behalf, if they really had pure intentions, why not spread the word for free...?? :\ Anything like that kind of rubs me the wrong way.
  • edited April 2010
    Nobody was protecting SGI... The point they were making was the "hate" is not very Buddha-like. I think. ;)
  • edited April 2010
    SGI and all other buddhist streams are stemmed and evolved from the speech of Buddha. The interpretation is very subjective and it seems that when the philosophy of Buddhism was passed from India to other Asian countries, it was blended heavily with the local traditions which make Buddhism to evolve or change or distort. It's a highly human-dependent process. It also proves that religion is only part of the civilization. Like human, we desire to live. and so do I. Same for SGI, they desire to live too. They desire to have a sense of existence and it turns out to be money and great buildings to make it happen (for gathering and propaganda). During the time I am in Singapore, there have been more than 2 cases of misuse of the donations by the local religious groups and these groups are the gigantic ones (including one from Buddhism) which have a lot of followers. Nowadays, all these religious groups are highly commercialized. They sell spirituality and peace packaged in a way you may not feel very commercialized at first, you pay the one that can satisfy your needs. After you buy and feel dissatisfied with it, the only way is to quit and complain about it. If you feel satisfied, you will stick with it and recommend your friends and parents to buy it. However, no one knows that all the happiness and peace are built-in and you just refuse to take them out. Instead, we keep tapping into those negative power like anger, greedy, hate, jeolousy, etc. Maybe people ask how to retrieve our long lost happiness and peace. I also have a little of it but it is for you to find. That's why it is called life. Buddha tried it and he got it. He showed us the way but how many of us really followed closely what he told us. Almost none, nowadays, I guess. Because what he said may have been misinterpretated... Finally, self-enlightment and self-search may be more important.
  • edited April 2010
    With so many branches from religion and philosophy, organized or otherwise, it's bound to be the victim of the easier (negative) culprits of human nature, like greed, hatred, anger, etc....these lead to taking advantage of the system. Any true spiritual organization will not DEMAND money for spreading the word. The meaning is deeper than money for those looking to a true path.(Of course there is the necessary money for the simple practicalities of 'rent' and retreat needs..) For other people, it's an easy money-making scheme to abuse. It's sad, but the ego has very manipulative methods. ENlightenment does not come from a disc or a a book or a DIY DVD...It comes from the heart and the experience of it. It's...literally...priceless.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited July 2010
    oi, this is old and i hate to bring something up from the dead like this... but man, nobody had anything nice to say about the SGI? i had to oblige...

Nichiren buddhism was my introduction to buddhism, and for this, i am grateful. i practiced this form of buddhism for nearly 3 years, the middle year being with the SGI. the city i lived in was a huge college town so most of our members were foreign from all different countries, so i was able to learn about the differences in the SGI in other countries as well. i never encountered any fees of any sort. we had no community center so we met in older members homes where they would prepare meals for us. they really were like a family away from home, available at all times for advice for problems we encountered. we had two types of meetings weekly. study meetings and daimoku meetings where we would simply chant for an hour or so. the suggestion is to do gongyo(a practice that involves chanting and reciting parts of the lotus sutra) twice daily as well as chanting as often as possible for as long as possible.

i think it is important to stress that while daisaku ikeda may be the SGI leader, they are a lay organization being run by the individual members. this means that people can have vastly different experiences depending on where they go. i also think that, unfortunately, you get what you want out of the SGI. some members were really inspiring, great people who truly lived and taught the dharma... some seemed to think that the chant, "nam myoho renge kyo" was just a magic spell to attain all of their desires.

the SGI is based upon the teachings of Nichiren Daishonin, a 13th century monk who studied all sutras he could get his hands on. what is called "the gosho"(The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin) is a combination of letters he wrote to his followers. to my knowledge, he left behind no writings other than these.

the reason i have left the SGI is that while it interested me for a while, i seemed to want more than they could give me. they only suggest reading the gosho, the lotus sutra, and writings by daisaku ikeda. we did a lot of study on all of these, but never learned the basic precepts. it was kinda weird. i determined that while i held a lot of respect for Nichiren, i would rather follow him by example and learn about all of buddhism... not simply what he taught.

so, say what you will about the SGI, but i do know that like everything else, it's neither all good... nor all bad. rather than putting all of your energy into hating them and writing them off as a cult, i suggest seeing them as actual people worthy of respect. perhaps invite them to a meeting at your house to teach them some of the other foundations of buddhism. this is what i wished for while i was affiliated with the SGI.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited July 2010
    I know some people who speak highly of them :)
    If your interested in Nichiren Buddhism then its worth an investigation.