Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Signs of Stream Entry

mettafoumettafou Veteran
edited June 2010 in Philosophy
How can you tell if you have been a stream enterer in a past life? In general?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2010
    mettafou wrote: »

Check if your feet are wet?
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited April 2010

Check if your feet are wet?

crying.gif
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Threads have become very entertaining lately
    :lol:
  • mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited April 2010
    41367930_6019954f5c.jpg

now will you answer? :viking:
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010
    :screwy:
    edited April 2010
    that is an exhibit in singapore of buddhist hell. if you don't enter the stream, then you might go there for incalculable aeons.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I think you are already there by merely contemplating past lives and fears of a "Buddhist hell" :p
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Fear and agitation = Buddhist hell
    edited April 2010
    the goal of theravada is nibbana. a stream enterer will not be reborn within seven lives. how do we know this isn't already one of those lives?
    edited April 2010
    for the record there are suttas devoted to descriptions of hell, and descriptions of heaven... they are as real as this world.
    edited April 2010
    for the record there are suttas devoted to descriptions of hell, and descriptions of heaven... they are as real as this world.

...........not unless you can give me a map reference or spacial co-ordinates.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited April 2010

...........not unless you can give me a map reference or spacial co-ordinates.

Apparently it's in Singapore. And you grow man-boobs. AHH THE HORROR. :eek2:
    edited April 2010
    hehe. mind precedes everything. look up transcendental dependent origination.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Yes, mind precedes everything, including ontological conclusions like the existence or otherwise of hell. You might contemplate which aspects of mind preceded your conclusions.
  • edited April 2010

23] “Bhikkhus, knowing and seeing in this way, would you run back to the past thus: ‘Were we in the past? Were we not in the past? What were we in the past? How were we in the past? Having been what, what did we become in the past?'?”

- “No venerable sir.” -

“Knowing and seeing in this way, would you run forward to the future thus: ‘Shall we be in the future? Shall we not be in the future? What shall we be in the future? How shall we be in the future? Having been what, what shall become in the future?'?”

- “No, venerable sir.” -

“Knowing and seeing in this way, would you now be inwardly perplexed about the present thus: ‘Am I? Am I not? What am I? How am I? Where has this being come from? Where will it go?'?”

-“No, venerable sir.”

24] “Bhikkhus, knowing and seeing in this way, would you speak thus: ‘The Teacher is respected by us. We speak as we do out of respect for the Teacher'?”

-“No, venerable sir.” -

“Knowing and seeing in this way, would you speak thus: ‘The Recluse says this, and we speak thus at the bidding of the Recluse'?”

- “No, venerable sir.” -

“Knowing and seeing in this way, would you acknowledge another teacher?”

- “No, venerable sir.” -

“Knowing and seeing in this way, would you return to the observances, tumultuous debates, and auspicious signs of ordinary recluses and brahmins, taking them as the core [of the holy life]?”

- “No, venerable sir.” -

“Do you speak only of what you have known, seen, and understood for yourselves?” - “Yes, venerable sir.”

25] “Good, bhikkhus. So you have been guided by me with this Dhamma, which is visible here and now, immediately effective, inviting inspection, onward leading, to be experienced by the wise for themselves. For it was with reference to this that it has been said: ‘Bhikkhus, this Dhamma is visible here and now, immediately effective, inviting inspection, onward leading, to be experienced by the wise for themselves.'

MN 38 http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books9/Bhikkhu_Bodhi_Mahatanhasankhaya_Sutta.htm

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Dazzle wrote: »
    “Knowing and seeing in this way, would you return to the observances, tumultuous debates, and auspicious signs of ordinary recluses and brahmins, taking them as the core [of the holy life]?”

- “No, venerable sir.” -
    Liars!
    edited April 2010
    thank you for your replies. to what extant can a stream enterer fall from sila in this life? in successive rebirths? i never said this was a good question. other lokas can be known in this life. hence the buddha was a "knower of worlds"... hence the claims of living arahats like maha boowa.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    the goal of theravada is nibbana. a stream enterer will not be reborn within seven lives. how do we know this isn't already one of those lives?
    the scripture you are quoting does not include the word "lives" in the Pali.

The standard Pali that is (inaccurately) translated as "lives" is nivāsaṃ.

the scripture is called the "breakthrough". the stream enterer must breakthrough "seven more times at most".

this is what the sutta states

in other words, there are seven more fetters to break

:)
    Nakhasikha Sutta,

Neva [neither] satimaṃ [1/100] kalaṃ upeti na sahassimaṃ [1/1000] kalaṃ upeti na satasahassimaṃ [1/100,000] kalaṃ upeti purimaṃ dukkhakkhandhaṃ parikkhīṇaṃ pariyādiṇṇaṃ upanidhāya yadidaṃ sattakkhattuṃparamatā.

Neva (indecl.) [na+eva] see na2. -- nevasaññā -- nâsañña (being) neither perception nor non -- perception, only in cpd. ˚āyatana & in nevasaññī -- nâsaññin: see saññā.

Kalā [Vedic kalā *squel, to Lat scalpo, Gr. ska/llw, Ohg scolla, scilling, scala. The Dhtp. (no 613) expls kala by "sankhyāne."] 1. a small fraction of a whole

Upeti [upa + i] to go to (with acc.), come to, approach, undergo, attain

Purima (adj.) [compar. -- superl. formation fr. *pura, cp. Sk. purima] preceding, former, earlier, before (opp. pacchima)

dukkhakkhandhaŋ vyapānudi Th 2, 162. -- (b) lobha˚ dosa˚ moha˚ the three ingredients or integrations of greed, suffering and bewilderment, lit. "the big bulk or mass of greed"

Parikkhīṇa [pp. of parikkhīyati] exhausted, wasted, decayed, extinct

Upanidhāya (indecl.) [ger. of upa + nidahati of dhā] comparing in comparison, as prep. w. acc. "compared with"

Yadi (indecl.) [adv. formation, orig. loc., fr. ya˚; cp. Vedic yadi] 1. as conjunction: if;
    yadi evaŋ if so, in that case, let it be that, alright, now then

yadidaṃ = that is, “i.e.”

Sattakkhattuŋ (adv.) [cp. tikkhattuŋ etc.] seven times

Paramatā (f.) [fr. parama, Vedic paramatā highest posi- tion] the highest quantity, measure on the outside, minimum or maximum
    edited April 2010
    they are as real as words in a book

if you are interested in stream entry then this is how you must view things, namely, according to their reality

to enter stream entry, words must be seen as words, a book as a book, the body as body, feelings as feelings, perceptions as perceptions, mental fabrications as mental fabrications and consciousness as consciousness

all things are seen as mind objects, merely elements (dhatu)

a stream enterer breaks the 2nd fetter of unverified superstition

currently, stream entry is not possible for your mind

best wishes

edited April 2010
    in the suttas, there is no stories of stream enters being reborn back to the human realm

a stream enterer is enlightened but tendency to defilement has not been uprooted

if your mind was that of stream entry, you would not be asking these questions

:crazy:
    edited April 2010
    what i said comes from the suttas.
    sotapanna [sotaapanna]:
    Stream winner. A person who has abandoned the first three of the fetters that bind the mind to the cycle of rebirth (see samyojana) and has thus entered the "stream" flowing inexorably to nibbana, ensuring that one will be reborn at most only seven more times, and only into human or higher realms.
    whether i really believe in hell lokas is irrelevant.
    edited April 2010
    that is an exhibit in singapore of buddhist hell. if you don't enter the stream, then you might go there for incalculable aeons.
    i once knew a buddhist art gallery where under a stage there were paintings of hell

only children could see those picture with ease

the normal pictures on the walls were for adults

edited April 2010
    one will be reborn at most only seven more times, and only into human or higher realms.
    i have already quoted the sutta for you

it does not say "lives" in it

please read again

just because the translator includes lives it does not mean the Pali states "lives"

edited April 2010
    then you better stop posting on this website site friend and start practising because your mind is millions of miles away from stream entry at this time

give up your preaching and start practising

if you are prepared to listen rather than talk, I can instruct your mind on stream entry

:eek:
    edited April 2010
    hehe. mind precedes everything. look up transcendental dependent origination.
    for stream enterers, right view precedes everything

look up MN 117

edited April 2010
    it was a joke bro...
    edited April 2010
    hehe
    unbelievable :eek:

you are laughing & joking although you are destined for hell :rarr:

the suttas say:
    The Blessed One took up a little bit of soil in his fingernail and addressed the bhikkhus thus:

"What do you think bhikkhus, which is more, this little bit of soil in my fingernail or the great earth?"
    <O:p
    "Venerable Sir, the great earth is more. The little bit of soil that the Blessed One has taken up in his fingernail is trifling. Compared to the great earth, the little bit of soil that the Blessed One has taken up in his fingernail is not calculable, does not bear comparison, does not amount even to a fraction."
    "So too bhikkhus, those beings are few who, when they pass away as human beings, are reborn amongst human beings. But those beings are more numerous who, when they pass away as human beings, are reborn in hell."
    "For what reason?"
    "Because, bhikkhus, they have not seen the Four Noble Truths."
    "Therefore bhikkhus, an effort should be made to understand: 'This is suffering, this is the origin of suffering, this is the quenching of suffering and this is the way leading to the quencing of suffering'. "

SN 56.102

i recommend you read the Devaduta Sutta, pronto.

God-speed friend.

:om:
    edited April 2010
    i'm destined for hell?
    edited April 2010
    i'm destined for hell?
    According to the sutta above yes,certainly, without doubt.

Here the Buddha states even morality cannot save you.

Basically, it is the 4NTs or nothing.

Abandon all 'self-view' now, immediately.

Regard all things, mental, physical & nibbana, as merely elements of nature, empty of self.

then your mind will be saved and enter the stream 'Zen style'...in a flash

edited April 2010
    the sign of stream entry is no craving, no delight, no clinging, no regarding anything as 'positive' or 'negative'

edited April 2010
    consider: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/notself.html
    whether or not i've experienced what your talking about, it is silly to state i'm doomed to hell. even those who have not passed through experience of nibbana can practice the divine abidings and achieve "higher" rebirth. do you agree the product of stream entry is perfect morality? can someone who has entered the stream fall ethically? can a stream enterer masturbate? drink? insult someone?
    edited April 2010
    the sign of stream entry is no craving, no delight, no clinging, no regarding anything as 'positive' or 'negative'
    this is the sign of 4th stage of nibbana.
    edited April 2010
    warning: private question, seeking advice...
    maybe there is no skillful or practical reason to identify oneself as a stream enterer. only to know what to repeat one more time (3rd time something beyond they say). so to discern mind as mind and mind and matter as matter and break through with a satori-esque discernment^. is this really related or on the right track?

can some "was that stream entry?" arise after, and from that point of identification produce a gradually decline from such discernment? i.e. subtle identification out of stupidity, a gradual decline from insight, and into delusion because of identification, doubt, etc. and no ultimate or significant shift in behavior or consciousness...

so what, repeat?

what then stops one form screwing himself or herself, intellectually, physically, emotionally; through affectation, repetition, and gradual becoming?

another repetition of the process you described?

i shifted my perspectives and practices to a jhana based model of stream entry. to what extent is the view that stream entry must arise from advanced jhanas valid? i still don't know what qualifies as jhana anymore, or if it must precede such discernment anyway...
  • edited April 2010

Could you use some spacing/paragraphs please mettafou ? I find it very difficult to read dense blocks of text as in the previous post.

Thanks.

• edited April 2010
    Thanks for spacing out the text, mettafou.

here i stopped. (more or less after masturbating and then doubting the purpose of such discernment)...

:confused:

edited April 2010
    yea i deleted that... hahah that's pretty funny. because i could still break my vows i thought it didn't matter at all but maybe i was on the right track with that sort of process. an emphasis on samadhi and establishing a stronger identity to attracted me because it could help with substituting vices, and keeping precepts which is central to description of stream entry. before that i practiced more or less within the goenka context which coincides with datu's ideas in some sense.
    edited April 2010
    Do not try to become anything.
    Do not make yourself into anything.
    Do not be a meditator.
    Do not become enlightened.
    When you sit, let it be.
    What you walk, let it be.
    Grasp at nothing.
    Resist nothing.
    Ajhan Chah
    edited April 2010
    this is the sign of 4th stage of nibbana.
    it is the requirements of stream entry

nibbana comes from vipassana and not from letting go

one must have a 'small nibbana' to reach a big nibbana

buddha described right concentration has having relinquishment as it sole object

there is beginners relinquishment and final reliquishment

it is all relinquishment, just different in profundity & subtlety

edited April 2010
    Do not try to become anything.
    Do not make yourself into anything.
    Do not be a meditator.
    Do not become enlightened.
    When you sit, let it be.
    What you walk, let it be.
    Grasp at nothing.
    Resist nothing.
    Ajhan Chah

that is what i advised

this is not nibbana

just the start

:smilec:
    edited April 2010
    it is silly to state i'm doomed to hell.
    i was joking with the sutta

forget it

it is not important
    do you agree the product of stream entry is perfect morality?
    no, but when one is moral it will be perfect

due to meditation, S.E will have very strong natural hiri ottappa due to insight of abandoning postiveness & negativeness

but a stream enterer still has ignorance about certain things
    can someone who has entered the stream fall ethically? can a stream enterer masturbate? drink? insult someone?
    possibly (but it would not be somethhing habitual...probably a one-off for whatever reason)

:smilec:
    edited April 2010
    maybe there is no skillful or practical reason to identify oneself as a stream enterer.
    stream entry is ceasing to identify oneself
    only to know what to repeat one more time (3rd time something beyond they say). so to discern mind as mind and mind and matter as matter and break through with a satori-esque discernment^. is this really related or on the right track?
    yes...sounds fine
    can some "was that stream entry?" arise after, and from that point of identification produce a gradually decline from such discernment? a gradual decline from insight, and into delusion because of identification, doubt, etc. and no ultimate or significant shift in behavior or consciousness...
    not really, if practise is maintained (unless attacked by external Mara and cannot defeat external Mara)
    i.e. subtle identification out of stupidity,
    certainly...a S.E is not an arahant
    i shifted my perspectives and practices to a jhana based model of stream entry. to what extent is the view that stream entry must arise from advanced jhanas valid? i still don't know what qualifies as jhana anymore, or if it must precede such discernment anyway...
    real jhana happens after stream entry

there is opportunity for a alot of insight before jhana

just start letting go

no positive, no negative, no craving, no seeking out a meditation object, no grasping at insight & progress

just let go & keep letting go

the mind naturally will find the meditation object

any kind of striving (craving) or looking for a meditation object cannot fulfil stream entry

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited April 2010
    i once knew a buddhist art gallery where under a stage there were paintings of hell

HAHAHA this is so true. I have seen a few myself in Buddhist temples as well
    edited April 2010

It's not really surprising that some of my normally well-informed friends describe some forms of Buddhism as "mediaeval". Those schools that go in for this sort of iconography really do resemble the old 'Dooms' in churches. This is a detail from the Coventry Doom.
    edited April 2010
    what is an "external mara?" how is it different than an internal mara?
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    This might be of some help

I had no idea there are two Maras btw ;)
  • edited May 2010
    Hi guys,

Thought I'd weigh in here and tell you how you can get stream entry. Become aware of the Stages of Insight. I used the practice of Mahasi's noting. I previously did many years of the Goenka method but I found that with the inclusion of noting all phenomenon as they arose within the mind and body, that I was able to objectify it all, including the sensations/images that made up the illusion of Self, of "I". Become aware of how the sum of these sensations and mental images "blip" in and out very rapidly over any other bare sensate experience creating the illusion of "I" am observing this, these are "my" sensations.

Start objectifying the "I".....ask yourself what is it? Where is it? What is it doing? See how those sensations and images are just the three characteristics...there is no duality....there is only object. When you start objectifying the "I" and seeing it for what it is...just a dance, a flow of sensations and mental images, so anicca, so anatta, so dukkha.......You cannot get rid of the sensations of "I"...but they can be seen for what they are....just sensations like all the rest on the body....subject will become object....All this will become easier to do once you get to the Equanimity of Formations stage, The 11th stage in the Progress of insight. To get there, all you need to do is continue meditating long enough but correctly.

Remember to become aware with bare awareness or through noting of ALL the subtle states that prop up the "I".... anticipation, boredom, spacing out, space, intention, fascination etc...EVERYTHING must be seen as just the three characteristics. Objectify it all! There really is no "I" there. The job is to see it for what it really is. Just a sum of mental images and sensations.

Keep meditating, using whatever technique to see everything arise and pass away.....get up to Equanimity of formations...don't crave it...craving holds you back....note the craving...include it in the meditation...note everything....you might get up to high equanimity but fall back down into the re-observation stage...get back up and fall down again....This is part of how you get stream entry. U Ba Khin gave the analogy that you need to swing on the rope to get to the other side of the bank of the river. But you have to swing back and forth, each time getting some more height...until you can just let go to reach the other side. Keep swinging! Keep practicing but remember to be aware of the totality of the experience. Note it or just bare awareness of it....eventually you will get to the point where it becomes automatic and then out of the blue...you might experience a very brief moment where the mind turns off and then turns back on...you wont remember what it was as consciousness ceases to function in that brief moment. Then you will get a bliss wave some seconds after, and you'll ask yourself what was that?...if you were aware of something happening. Anyway, there is more to say, but I'll leave it at that.

Keep Swinging on the rope!!!!!
  • edited May 2010
    stream entry is ceasing to identify oneself

The truth that there is no self, that the "I" is an illusion is seen in it's totality...but you ain't no arahat yet, the illusion of "I" is still in tact to a degree....it still is "read" as an "I"...but one knows that it is an illusion.The "I" is still sticky in a sense. As you progress through the stages of enlightenment, it becomes less and less sticky eventually not sticking at all at the stage of arahat. One can still identify with the self at stream entry level, as the illusion is still intact...that is why one can still react negatively even as a stream enterer. They are still caught in the stickiness of "I"...but one knows that it is not real, and this allows one not to crave and have as much aversion as before as "letting go" of things becomes much easier.

Hope this helps!
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    nibs wrote: »
    Note it or just bare awareness of it....eventually you will get to the point where it becomes automatic and then out of the blue...you might experience a very brief moment where the mind turns off and then turns back on...

Did you get this information from some book or is this your own experience pls? I'm curious since AB gives a similar explanation but I always wondered if he is explaining some absorption kind of meditation in his book
  • edited May 2010
    My own experience. Stream entry is possible for anyone who works at it. I am of the belief that over the centuries it has become something that people think of as too lofty and for some distant future life to attain. Not true! You just have to work correctly!
    This is the second sasana after all. More and more people should be and in my opinion ARE getting it done!
  • edited May 2010
    nibs wrote: »
    The truth that there is no self, that the "I" is an illusion is seen in it's totality...but you ain't no arahat yet, the illusion of "I" is still in tact to a degree....it still is "read" as an "I"...but one knows that it is an illusion.The "I" is still sticky in a sense. As you progress through the stages of enlightenment, it becomes less and less sticky eventually not sticking at all at the stage of arahat. One can still identify with the self at stream entry level, as the illusion is still intact...that is why one can still react negatively even as a stream enterer. They are still caught in the stickiness of "I"...but one knows that it is not real, and this allows one not to crave and have as much aversion as before as "letting go" of things becomes much easier.

Hope this helps!
    This is more or less exactly how I would put it. The Sotapanna knows in which direction to go, but has far yet to travel. They are on the path of seeing, but the path of transformation takes them through the final three stages of awakening. As to the original poster's question as to whether you can know if you've attained this in a past life... this is an impossible question to answer. You would first have to "know" that you had past lives, or will have future ones, otherwise it is mere speculation. The only thing that is important is the "now", because this time that you have is self-evident and should not be taken for granted.

Forget all distractions of the has-been or will-be, concentrate on the now and focus on practicing the path rightly, including meditation. Otherwise you're missing the present, failing to make progress in the present, and for all you know... it is all you have.

In the end, the answer to this question is a moot point. You must attain each level of awakening in a single lifetime, one after another. They are a successive and systematic abandonment of the fetters that blind us to reality and bind us to the Non-Self. It's not as if you attain stream-entry in a past life and in this life you're going to skip to once-returner. ;)