Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Quotations I have found -

Comments

• From Confucius -

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

When you see a good man, try to emulate his example, and when you see a bad man, search yourself for his faults.

It is not the failure of others to appreciate your abilities that should trouble you, but rather your failure to appreciate theirs.

Only the wisest and the stupidest of men never change.

By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience,which is the bitterest.

Love thy neighbor as thyself:
    Do not do to others what thou wouldst not wish be done to thyself:
    Forgive injuries.
    Forgive thy enemy,
    be reconciled to him, give him assistance, invoke God in his behalf.

First there must be order and harmony within your own mind.
    Then this order will spread to your family, then to the community, and finally to your entire kingdom.
    Only then can you have peace and harmony.

Have a good one!

:)

• edited January 2011
    I believe that at every level of society the key to a happier world is the growth of compassion. We do not need to become religious, nor do we need to believe in an ideology. All that is necessary is for each of us to develop our good human qualities.

~ The 14th Dalai Lama

For more ... try pluggin the followin into Google -

wisdom commons compassion

Peace ~ Love ~ Happiness

• "Be more humble than a blade of grass, more tolerant than a tree, always offering respect to others and never expecting anything in return" ~chaitanya Manaprabhu

"Tolerance implies a respect for another person, not because he is wrong or even because he is right, but because he is human." ~ John Cogley

I collect quotes- so happy to see so many good ones here :)

Namaste.
  • These are my favorite quotes:

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream"
    Vincent Van Gogh

“People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk either on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child -- our own two eyes. All is a miracle.”
    Thich Nhat Hanh

“I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels.”
    Pearl S. Buck

“The sun, with all those plants revolving around it and dependent upon it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do.”
    Galileo

"Like the bee gathering honey from the different flowers, the wise person accepts the essence of the different scriptures and sees only the good in all religions."
    Gandhi
  • Thanks Paisley

Here's a feww of my favourites -

"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and say the opposite."
    ~ Sam Levenson

"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
    ~ C. G. Jung

"My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right."
    ~ Ashleigh Brilliant

Have a good one!

• edited January 2011
    "The remarkable thing is that we really love our neighbor as ourselves: we do unto others as we do unto ourselves. We hate others when we hate ourselves. We are tolerant toward others when we tolerate ourselves. We forgive others when we forgive ourselves."

~ Eric Hoffer

For more quotes like that, plug the followin into Google -

Quote land forgiveness

Cheers
  • edited January 2011
    The most important thing is not to get trapped in what I see everywhere in the West, a "shopping mentality": shopping around from master to master, teaching to teaching, without any continuity or real, sustained dedication to any one discipline. Nearly all the great spiritual masters of all traditions agree that the essential thing is to master one way, one path to the truth, by following one tradition with all your heart and mind to the end of the spiritual journey, while remaining open and respectful towards the insights of all others.

The modern faddish idea that we can always keep all our options open and so never need commit ourselves to anything is one of the greatest and most dangerous delusions of our culture, and one of the ego's most effective ways of sabotaging our spiritual search.

Sogyal Rinpoche

Have a good one!

• "If we really want to love, we must learn how to forgive."

Mother Theresa

Cheers

• From The Dalai Lama's Little Book of Wisdom -

When I see beings of unpleasant character
    Oppressed by strong negativity and suffering,
    May I hold them dear - for they are rare to find -
    As if I have discovered a jewel treasure!

This verse refers to the special case of relating to people who are socially marginalised, perhaps because of their behaviour, their appearance, their destitution, or on account of some illness. Whoever practices bodhichitta must take special care of these people, as if, on meeting them, you have found a real treasure. Instead of feeling repulsed, a true practitioner of these altruistic principles should engage and take on the challenge of relating. In fact, the way we interact with people of this kind could give a great impetus to our spiritual practice.

Have a good one!

• My favourite Buddhist quote of all times. So powerful and relly capturing the essence of Buddhism:

"Hundreds of stupid flies gather On a piece of rotten meat, Enjoying, they think, a delicious feast. This image fits with the song Of the myriads of foolish living beings Who seek happiness in superficial pleasures; In countless ways they try, Yet I have never seen them satisfied."
  • Continuing the theme ...

It's usually people's negative reactions to their own suffering that drives them to act in harmful ways. Often it is difficult people who are suffering the most intensely and who are most in need of compassion.

That comes from "The Lost Art of Compassion" by Lorne Ladner - I highly recommend it :)

Cheers
  • Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them - every day begin the task anew.

~ Saint Francis de Sales

• "To be aware of a single shortcoming in oneself is more useful than to be aware of a thousand in someone else."

~ Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama

Have a good one!

• Cant sit quietly in your room alone? Source of all your troubles.
    Pascal.
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks Hermit!

Here's one from a book I've been enjoying -

To travel at the speed of love, you must be willing to give life your all. This includes having a positive, grateful attitude and a willingness to be a good sport. It means taking the high road and forgiving, overlooking, ignoring, laughing at and fully embracing all that comes your way - especially the crazy people - as part of the journey of being alive.

From "Traveling at the speed of love" by Sonia Choquette.

I highly recommend it if you ever see it in a book shop

• Cultivating an aspiration to help other sentient beings becomes a cause for wanting to achieve Buddhahood for the sake of all sentient beings. These are the two levels of the awakening mind of bodhichitta.

Such a mind cannot be cultivated in a mere few months or years, but this does not mean it cannot be cultivated at all. If you continue your practice to cultivate bodhichitta, a time will come when you will be successful. For example, in the initial stage you may not even understand the meaning of the word bodhichitta. You might wonder how you could ever cultivate such a mind. But through repeated practice and familiarity, you will gradually come closer to such a mind.

It is the nature of conditioned things that they change depending on causes and conditions. So it is important to recall the advantages and benefits of such a mind and cultivate a strong determination to achieve it. Make ardent prayers. Whether you sleep, walk, or sit, you should think: "How good it would be if I could cultivate such a mind." Try to cultivate bodhichitta even on an aspirational level. If you spend your days in such repeated and persistent practice, you can definitely develop it. Make the determination to cultivate it even if it will take many aeons. As Shantideva prays in his Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life:

As long as space endures
    And as long as sentient beings remain,
    May I too abide
    To dispel the sufferings of all sentient beings.

~ The Dalai Lama

For LOADS more like this plug the followin into Google -

snowlionpub dlquote

• “Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”

~ Anonymous

Cheers

• If you think you are going to be happier when you get that dream job, dream house or dream family. You will be disappointed.
    You will be just as unhappy as you are now.
    Epictetus.
  • Thanks hermit!

You might also like 2 plug myths happiness into Google - tosses up a few ...

The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, not to worry about the future, nor to anticipate troubles, but to live the present moment wisely and earnestly.

~ Buddha

Have a good one!

• All you have, all you will ever have is now.
    Jim Carrey.
    Here's one from a very funny wise guy.
  • “It is impossible to live a pleasant life without living wisely and well and justly. And it is impossible to live wisely and well and justly without living a pleasant life.” - Epicurus ;)
  • Buddha say those who speaks too much are blamed.

Buddha say those who speaks too little are blamed.

Buddha say those who remain silent are blamed.
  • Thanks Hermit & Epicurus!

"A human being is a part of a whole, called by us 'universe', a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

~ Albert Einstein

Cheers
  • Geoff, care to explain your obssession errr, I mean interest in quotes?
  • Hi Hermit!

My interest in quotes ... I have always been an avid reader. The subject of the reading material has sure changed over the years! Used 2 be a very angry cynical atheist - so things have changed a little!

Here's some quotes fromn a book I am enjoying 4 the third or fourth time - highly recommend it ... and this time it's ACTUALLY a Buddhist teacher!

Love the Tolle excerpts - have a couple of his books.

Actually, a lunatic is far less crazy than a sane person who harms us, for that so-called sane person has the potential to realize that in acting aggressively he is sowing the seeds of his own confusion and dissatisfaction. His present aggression is strengthening future more-intense habits of aggression. He is creating his own soap opera. This kind of life is painful and lonely. The one who harms us is under the influence of patterns that could continue to produce suffering forever.

--------------------------------------------

Anxiety, heartbreak and tenderness mark the in-between state. It's the kind of place we usually want to avoid. The challenge is to stay in the middle rather than buy into struggle and complaint. The challenge is to let it soften us rather than make us more rigid and afraid. Becoming intimate with the queasy feeling of being in the middle of nowhere only makes our hearts more tender. When we are brave enough to stay in the middle, compassion arises spontaneously. By not knowing, not hoping to know, and not acting like we know what's happening, we begin to access our inner strength.

-------------------------------------------

It might feel like stretching into make-believe to say, 'May this person who is driving me crazy enjoy happiness and be free from suffering.' Probably what we genuinely feel is anger. This practice is like a workout that stretches the heart beyond its current capabilities. we can expect to encounter resistance. We discover that we have our limits: we can stay open to some people but we remain closed to others. We see both our clarity and our confusion. We are learning first-hand what everyone who has ever set out on this path has learned: We are all a paradoxical bundle of rich potential that consists of both neurosis and wisdom.

From "The Places that Scare You by Pema Chodron

Namaste

• edited March 2011
    BTW, here are a couple more from Mr Tolle -

To end the misery that has afflicted the human condition for thousands of years, you have to start with yourself and take responsibility for your inner state at any given moment.

If you are not spending all of your waking life in discontent, worry, anxiety, depression, despair or consumed by other negative states; if you are able to enjoy simple things like listening to the sound of rain or the wind; if you can see the beauty of clouds moving across the sky or be alone at times without feeling lonely or needing the mental stimulus of entertainment; if you find yourself treating a complete stranger with heartfelt kindness without wanting anything from him or her ... it means that a space has opened up, no matter how briefly, in the otherwise incessant stream of thinking that is the human mind. When this happens, there is a sense of well-being, of alive peace even though it may be subtle. The intensity will vary from a perhaps barely noticeable background sense of contentment to what the ancient sages of India called ananda - the bliss of Being. Because you have been conditioned to pay attention only to form, you are probably not aware of it except indirectly. For example, there is a common element in the ability to see beauty, to appreciate simple things, to enjoy your own company or to relate to other people with loving kindness. This common element is a sense of contentment, peace and aliveness that is the invisible background without which these experiences would not be possible.

Cheers

• "Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe."
    — Frank Zappa

"The largest living land mammal is the absent mind."
    - Captain Beefheart

My one regret in life is that I am not someone else.
    - Woody Allen

My friend said to me, "I think the weather's trippy." I said, "No, man, it's not the weather that's trippy, perhaps it is the way that we perceive it that is indeed trippy." Then I thought, "Man, I should have just said, 'Yeah.'"
    - Mitch Hedberg

The "what should be" never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no "what should be," there is only what is.
    - Lenny Bruce

• Thanks Geoff. Here's a funny one.

If you have money, dont buy a new car. Get a new face & body.
    When you are attractive, the new car will be waiting for you.
    Joan Rivers.
  • Nature does not hurry yet it accomplishes everything.
    Laozi
  • Thanks Iron Rabbit & Hermit

Here's one I just found at a ghreat little Buddhist site -

"Tell me what you need and I'll tell you how to get along without it."

~ Anonymous

If you wanna visit the site plug the followin into Google -

viewonbuddhism attachment

Here's a bonus just because I'm in a funny mood -

"My opinions may have changed but not the fact that I am right."

~ Ashleigh Brilliant

• edited March 2011
    Hours later and I am just about 2 pop off 4 some sleep ...

When you're chewing on life's gristle
    Don't grumble, give a whistle
    And this'll help things turn out for the best ...
    And ... always look on the bright side of life ...
    Always look on the light side of life.

~ Monty Python's Life of Brian

For many other funny quotes try this:

allgreatquotes funny quotes

They also have some of Mr Tolle

Have a good one!

• Mornin all!

Hope you're all well & happy

If God dropped acid, would he see people?

I have an existential map. It has 'You are here' written all over it.

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

~ Steven Wright

Cheers

• Looks like it's me again. How about one from the Dalai Lama -

"Every major religion has similar ideas of love, the same goal of benefiting through spiritual practice, and the same effect of making its followers into better human beings. All religions teach moral precepts for perfecting the functions of the mind, body, and speech. All teach us not to lie or steal or take others' lives, and so on. The common goal of all moral precepts laid down by the great teachers of humanity is unselfishness. Those teachers wanted to lead their followers away from the paths of negative deeds caused by ignorance and to introduce them to paths of goodness. All religions can learn from one another; their ultimate goal is to produce better human beings who will be more tolerant, more compassionate, and less selfish."

Plug the following into Google 2 see a lovely page about the Dalai Lama -

thinkersdalailama livinglifefully

Have a good one!
  • "Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.”

~ Buddha

"There is a Law that man should love his neighbor as himself. In a few hundred years it should be as natural to mankind as breathing or the upright gait; but if he does not learn it he must perish."

~ Alfred Adler

"Can one have love? If we could, love would need to be a thing, a substance that one can have, own, possess. The truth is, there is no such thing as "love." "Love" is an abstraction, perhaps a goddess or an alien being, although nobody has ever seen this goddess. In reality, there exists only the act of loving. To love is a productive activity. It implies caring for, knowing, responding, affirming, enjoying: the person, the tree, the painting, the idea. It means bringing to life, increasing his/her/its aliveness. It is a process, self-renewing and self increasing."

~ Erich Fromm

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then there will be true peace."

~ Sri Chin Moi Gosh

"You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful."
    ~ Marie Curie

To see more, plug this into Google -

Quote land love

Or ...

better world love quotes

Or even this -

quotationspage random

Enjoy!!
  • "May you become as the waves of one sea, stars of the same heaven, fruits adorning the same tree, roses of one garden in order that through you the oneness of humanity may establish its temple in the world of mankind, for you are the ones who are called to uplift the cause of unity among the nations of the earth."

~ Abdu’l-Baha

"Where is thought? It can never be seen or even apprehended. It is like a magical illusion, for with imagination it colors the world. Searching for thought, unable to see it, a person looks for its origin. And it seems to be that where there is an object thought arises. Thought does not arise without an object. Can thought look at thought? No. Just as the blade of a sword cannot cut itself, or a fingertip touch itself, so thought cannot see thought."
    ~ Sikshasamuccaya

"Try to be reasonable in the way you grow, and don't ever think it is too late. It is never too late. Even if you are going to die tomorrow, keep yourself straight and clear and be a happy human being today. If you keep your situation happy day by day, you will eventually reach the greatest happiness of enlightenment."

~ Lama Thubten Yeshe, The Bliss of Inner Fire

"We are not compelled to meditate by some outside agent, by other people, or by God. Rather, just as we are responsible for our own suffering, so are we solely responsible for our own cure. We have created the situation in which we find ourselves, and it is up to us to create the circumstances for our release."

~ Lama Yeshe again

"Whenever you hear that someone else has been successful, rejoice. Always practice rejoicing for others--whether your friend or your enemy. If you cannot practice rejoicing, no matter how long you live, you will not be happy."

~ Lama Zopa Rinpoche, Transforming Problems Into Happiness

"Money won't buy happiness, but it will pay the salaries of a large research staff to study the problem."

~ Bill Vaughan

Have a good one!

• "What you judge you will one day become."

~ Neale Donald Walsch

"The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven."

~ John Milton

"We don't always know what makes us happy. We know, instead, what we think SHOULD. We are baffled and confused when our attempts at happiness fail...We are mute when it comes to naming accurately our own preferences, delights, gifts, talents. The voice of our original self is often muffled, overwhelmed, even strangled, by the voices of other people's expectations. The tongue of the original self is the language of the heart."

~ Julie Cameron

"The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts."

~ Marcus Aurelius Antoninus, Roman ruler and philosopher

"Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad."

~ Norm Papernick

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

~ H. Jackson Browne

"Happiness is like a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you."

~ Nathaniel Hawthorne

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."

~ Abraham Lincoln

You might also care 2 plug happiness myths into Google & see what turns up :)

"Things are not as they seem nor are they otherwise."

~ Zen proverb

• 'A war is worth fighting until you lose a son, an arm or a leg.'
    Hermitwin.

Pl note that hermitwin has the copyright for this phrase.
    The same copyright that Paris Hilton has for 'Cool' &
    Donald trump has for 'you're fired'.
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited March 2011
    It doesn't work that way. You can't copyright a phrase, but you can trademark it. When you want to copyright something, you don't need to register it, however trademarks must be registered.

Edit: My mistake, trademarks don't need to be registered either. No judge would consider that a valid trademark though.
  • Thanks Hermit & Shiftplusone

Here's a few more from a favourite site -

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking."

~ Arthur McBride Bloch

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia."

~ Charles Schulz

"Eagles may soar in the clouds, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines."

~ John Benfield

"An expert is a man who tells you a simple thing in a confused way in such a fashion as to make you think the confusion is your own fault."

~ William Castle

"Man was predestined to have free will."

~ Hal Lee Luyah

For more humorous quotes try this -

quotegarden humorous

Have a good one!

• Where do you find all of these? Lots of great ones in here.
  • Hi Shift Plus One!

Glad you enjoyed the quotes.

I find them usually using google. If I see a good quote I plug the key words into Google and then see what sites that leads me 2.

Don't know what I used to do before the Internet! :)

I also have a few books of quotations - one called The 1001 Smartest Things ever said and another is the Pocket oxford Book of quotations.

Anyway, glad 2 be of service.

Here's some more I just found -

A Zen master said to a monk, “You must see the universe in your cup.” The monk looked into his cup, but didn’t see the universe, so he threw the cup away. The Zen master said, “Oh, poor cup. We think the cup is too small to hold the universe. Intellectually, we can’t see how it could fit. But wherever we go, the whole universe always appears--in a cup, a window, in a smile, in a word.”

For more - try this:

spiritual transformation quotes

That leads us 2 the trans4mind site -

"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly."

~ Buddha

"Life is an opportunity, benefit from it.
    Life is beauty, admire it.
    Life is bliss, taste it.
    Life is a dream, realize it.
    Life is a challenge, meet it.
    Life is a duty, complete it.
    Life is a game, play it.
    Life is a promise, fulfill it.
    Life is sorrow, overcome it.
    Life is a song, sing it.
    Life is a struggle, accept it. Life is a tragedy, confront it.
    Life is an adventure, dare it.
    Life is luck, make it.
    Life is too precious, do not destroy it.
    Life is life, fight for it."

~ Mother Teresa

"We can have peace if we let go of wanting to change the past and wanting to control the future."

~ Lester Levinson

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."

~ Carl Jung

"Carefully watch your THOUGHTS, for they become your WORDS. Manage and watch your WORDS, for they will become your ACTIONS. Consider and judge your ACTIONS, for they have become your HABITS. Acknowledge and watch your HABITS, for they shall become your VALUES. Understand and embrace your VALUES, for they become YOUR DESTINY."

~ Mahatma Gandhi

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow."

~ Melody Beattie

Have a good one!

• edited March 2011
    Oh yes ... almost forgot a part of the answer 2 that question -

If I do find a good quotes site I look at their categories such as love, happiness, compassion, life, gratitude, funny, religion etc.

If you wanted 2 peruse a HUGE site try plugging this into Google -

Quote land love

THEN ... click on the Topics Icon - can take a while to load or maybe that's just me on this old PC!

Cheers

• On second thoughts and seeing as how this IS a Buddhist forum, I guess the best quotes site I have found comes from plugging this into Google -

viewonbuddhism mindfulness

Enjoy!

• thanks
  • You're most welcome!

It's amazin how much wisdom is "out there" :)

Found these 2 on a page of funny proverbs -

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed.

Cheers
  • "Mental events should be allowed to disperse like clouds."

~ Worth pluggin into Google - could even lead you 2 The 1001 Smartest things ever said :)

Cheers
  • Two people have been living in you all your life. One is the ego, garrulous, demanding, hysterical, calculating; the other is the hidden spiritual being, whose still voice of wisdom you have only rarely heard or attended to. As you listen more and more to the teachings, contemplate them, and integrate them into your life, your inner voice, your innate wisdom of discernment, what we call in Buddhism "discriminating awareness," is awakened and strengthened, and you begin to distinguish between its guidance and the various clamorous and enthralling voices of ego. The memory of your real nature, with all its splendor and confidence, begins to return to you.

You will find, in fact, that you have uncovered in yourself your own wise guide, and as the voice of your wise guide, or discriminating awareness, grows stronger and clearer, you will start to distinguish between its truth and the various deceptions of the ego, and you will be able to listen to it with discernment and confidence.

~ Sogyal Rinpoche - also worth pluggin into Google :)
  • As we follow the teachings and as we practice, we will inevitably discover certain truths about ourselves that stand out prominently: There are places where we always get stuck; there are habitual patterns and strategies that are the legacy of negative karma, which we continuously repeat and reinforce; there are particular ways of seeing things—those tired old explanations of ourselves and the world around us—that are quite mistaken yet which we hold onto as authentic, and so distort our whole view of reality.

When we persevere on the spiritual path, and examine ourselves honestly, it begins to dawn on us more and more that our perceptions are nothing more than a web of illusions. Simply to acknowledge our confusion, even though we cannot accept it completely, can bring some light of understanding and spark off in us a new process, a process of healing.

~ Comes from a page titled Pitfalls on the Spiritual Path

Have a good one!

• “Love has no other desire but to fulfill itself. To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night. To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving.”

~ Kahlil Gibran

For more of his writing, try this -

katsandogz gibran

Cheers
  • "By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."

~ Socrates

"Data is not information, information is not knowledge, knowledge is not understanding, understanding is not wisdom."

~ Clifford Stoll

"Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace."

~ Albert Schweitzer

For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe.

~ Larry Eisenberg

One powerful way to evoke compassion is to think of others as exactly the same as you. "After all," the Dalai Lama explains, "all human beings are the same-made of human flesh, bones, and blood. We all want happiness and want to avoid suffering. Further, we have an equal right to be happy. In other words, it is important to realize our sameness as human beings."

Have a good one!