Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

why the devil are there so many japanese buddhisms?

asf ar as i know japanese buddhism has possibly the largest number of sects... there are probably quite a different number throughout asia that i don't know about but i've only seen a big number in japan... pure land, nchiren, shingon, and zen (though zen is chán)

Comments

• RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited April 2010
    India had a lot of different Buddhist sects, and China had a number of schools that are no longer active. I believe Korea has had several different sects, some of them home grown. Being an island ruled by a central government, Japan has been a little more stable than other countries and Buddhist sects haven't had to struggle with foreign invasions or attempts by the Emperor to suppress Buddhism.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I'm not sure about the quality of the teaching in Japan.
    I'm certain it varies greatly but a friend of mine. who is japanes, told me that a Buddhist monk came to bless the house every years.

That Monk was terryfied of their little dog.
    for years, every time he came to the house, they had to lock the dog in one of the room.

Or perhaps he was just a monk who never made any progress?
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Hi patbb,

I'm confused as to what you are suggesting. Are you saying that only those who have made progress are not afraid of dogs? :confused:
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Nios wrote: »
    Hi patbb,

I'm confused as to what you are suggesting. Are you saying that only those who have made progress are not afraid of dogs? :confused:
    what? no.

but the concept of fear, being a conditionned reaction, a part of your ego, isn't very advance and the monk should have got rid of his fear fairly soon if he would have made progress...
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Ah, in that case you might be making the same mistake that most make. People see a monk or a priest and assume they are "advanced". Every one is different, everyone makes their own progress. :)

Nios
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited May 2010
    just about 200 odd years after the historical Buddha passing the Indian Nikayan earlier Buddhism has divided into 21 or more different schools , the major have their own set of abdhidarma , vinaya and selection of canon ..in the middleday of India and Central Asia Buddhism, there are much different favour of Nikayan Buddhism as well as different favour of Mahayana Buddhism,
    these Mahayana schools have their counterparts in China, Japan and Korea
    on top of that the Chinese have develops some of their unique Mahayana schools themselve, likewise in Tibet and himalaya region
    However after the conquest of the Mongol empire in the Mainland in far east ( and Mongul in India & central Asia ), the Chinese lost most of their school except pureland and Chan, while on island of Japan not harmed by the Mongol invasion retained most of the original school and also evolved to develop some of their own unique schools
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Nios wrote: »
    Ah, in that case you might be making the same mistake that most make. People see a monk or a priest and assume they are "advanced". Every one is different, everyone makes their own progress. :)

Nios
    perhaps, but it was Ajahn Chah who said that it took 6 years for Buddha to reach enlightenment.

And any serious Buddhist monks should have grasp enlightenment enough after 6 years if he practices seriously.
    Enough to be able to be by himself and teach.

I believe there is a common misconception but it is that it take forever to walk the path.
  • edited May 2010
    wow... ahhh... yeah.... that makes sense, thanks.... the mongols! curse the khans!!! and the chinese wall was built to keep them out...!!!!! war and devastation..... the flesh of buddhadharma getting torn apart by swords and arrows.... ansanna, where did you say you were from? knowing the history of buddhism is enlightening... .. i also wonder, kind of in relation to what you said pattb, is what happened to buddhism after WWII.... japan became fascistized.... but yes, each practitioner is different, weak in some places strong in others, superstitious here and wise here... we are each enlightened and deluded in different ways..... HEHEHEHE!!!!!!!! and buddhism got pushed back by the tides of abraham & brahman in the middle east.... used to live in afghanistan but no more. .
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited May 2010
    yes, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Kashmir and Ladakh, central-east Russia south of the Taiga, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, include Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region of China , were once great Mahayana centers.

after WWII, the Japanese people first time enjoy religion freedom for the common people, and it was a great awakening to the people. General MacArthur functioned as the Buddhist god Shakra Devanam Indra to liberate Buddha Dharma there.
  • edited May 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    what? no.

but the concept of fear, being a conditionned reaction, a part of your ego, isn't very advance and the monk should have got rid of his fear fairly soon if he would have made progress...
    Next time change the dog to tiger, it can better reflect progress:).
  • edited May 2010
    I'm sure that if the Buddha were able to put his teachings in writing, they still would have undergone some change. As it stands, the fighting over what constitutes his teachings began not longer after his death.

As Buddhism spread from country to country, it adapted... it evolved, like all things, to survive. If necessary, it accepted cultural modification, including rites & rituals & beliefs. The survival of the Buddha's teachings was taken up by the bhikkhus and bhikkhunis, and as such each "tradition" took on a "self" of its own.

Even today these traditions hold firm, and change is difficult; just as within our own minds. Where schisms occur, it is more likely that a new form of Buddhism, based on an existing form but with some modification, is likely to emerge.

That we will ever know what the Buddha actually taught is uncertain, but we can each through our own study and practice find the answers. It is a good idea, and one worth repeating, to study the teachings of more than one tradition.

~
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Wilfred wrote: »
    Next time change the dog to tiger, it can better reflect progress:).
    yes, the idea is that you can be fine with anything that can happen in your life.

You must be fine with, if you decide to live and work in a city, your very life can end in two hours. Being hit by a car or mugged by a crack head. or having a weird unexpected stoke.

Doesn't mean that you are not going to do anything to prevent this, just means that even if you did everything reasonable not to take extra risks, it may happen unless you choose to live in a cave surrounded by electric fences...

How else can you deal with this? Freaking out, fear, stress, anxiety about these things will not help much..

Our own life is impermanent.