Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

newtechnewtech Veteran
edited May 2010 in Buddhism Basics
hello.

if karma means trends of the mind/that leades to consequences. why its the only thing that remains after the death of the body?. i mean what principle/logic says: only the tendences of the mind transmigrate, not the visual memories, or the affect to a single person, etc.

thank you!

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2010
    newtech wrote: »
    hello.

if karma means trends of the mind/that leades to consequences. why its the only thing that remains after the death of the body?. i mean what principle/logic says: only the tendences of the mind transmigrate, not the visual memories, or the affect to a single person, etc.

thank you!

The simple answer is, it doesn't; that's simply a misunderstanding of what kamma is and how it works. There's nothing that "transmigrates" in Buddhism, there are merely phenomena that condition other phenomena in the interdependent process we call life.
  • edited May 2010
    Karma/Kamma are merely the conditions that become the causes for change. If you act skillfully, you generate wholesome conditions that lead to wholesome change, whether of the societal/ecological system you are a part of, of your own body, or of your own mind. That is merely your own karma; that which comes to be of your own action.

Karma is in truth the totality of all conditionality within the universe, all one and together. That is why sometimes your karma does not come back to you within a lifetime, yet it still is a part of the totality and still has the potential for change in the future.

The totality of karma is processed by the mechanism of Dependent Origination. That is, all appropriate conditions lead to change, which becomes the plateau of new conditions for future growth. We are in Buddhism concerned with "our karma", which we take to mean our intentional/volitional actions, because it is through correct understanding of how our actions affect change that we can make the correct decisions to lead us to a goal many moves in advance.

There are always deeper meanings. Come to understand how everything fits together, not just within ourselves but for the entire universe, and you will feel the life that is all-pervasive as a characteristic of its existence.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    newtech wrote: »
    why its the only thing that remains after the death of the body?

Where has the Buddha said that something remains after the death of the physical body?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    It is a common belief that karma conditions your next life too... I have caught that whiff from my teacher in the context of having confidence in your practice at the time of death. She also believes that karma operates outside of space and time. Its a tradition and there is scripture* though I don't want to get in a pissing war to say who's scripture is 'more true'. We can bring back MatSalted if we want to get into something like that perhaps :eek:

So to answer the OPs question in order for karma to transmit between lives it would have to be 'mysterious' and operate outside of space and time.

* For example The Jewel Ornament of Liberation which is a basic Lam Rim text for practice in the kagyu lineage claims that karma conditions future lives

Edit: As far as visual memories those don't even transmigrate within your life. At least I don't have good visual memories. Maybe others do? I didn't know what you meant by 'affect to a single person', though we do form karmic connections to people. That is part of the basis of the paramitas of a bodhisattva. One wisdom paramita is to enlighten. The other 5 support the wisdom paramita but they also make teh bodhisattva more attractive to other beings so that the bodhisattva can form karmic connections with them.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    It is a common belief that karma conditions your next life too... I have caught that whiff from my teacher in the context of having confidence in your practice at the time of death.
    is this Tibetan Buddhism?

from http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books3/Bhikkhu_Buddhadasa_The_Danger_of_I.htm

your next life is the next moment, as oppose to being re-borned in the future after your death, in another physical body.

in this context,
    It is a common belief that karma conditions your next life too...
    makes alot more sense, at least when dealing with our current situations.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Patb,

Yes Tibetan Buddhism. Death is thoroughly discussed in that tradition. Its believed deaths occur between thoughts and you go through a bardo though you don't notice in which you have a chance to see the clear light of mind (buddha nature/emptiness). But this also clearly and explicitly extends to the death ie termination of the body.
    edited May 2010
    So to answer the OPs question in order for karma to transmit between lives it would have to be 'mysterious' and operate outside of space and time.

While not as familiar with Tibetan Buddhism, in Theravada the literal interpretation of rebirth is viewed as an instantaneous process whereby the last consciousness of a being at the time of death immediately conditions the arising of a new consciousness—kind of like "spooky action at a distance," where two entangled particles seemingly communicate with each other instantaneously, even over great distances.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Jason,

I'm not as studied in Tibetan tradition as you are the Therevadan! I just recall my teacher explaining that karma connections were mysterious and that they would have to go outside of space and time. That sounds interesting about how the particles communicate.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited May 2010
    thank you all
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Jason wrote: »
    While not as familiar with Tibetan Buddhism, in Theravada the literal interpretation of rebirth is viewed as an instantaneous process whereby the last consciousness of a being at the time of death immediately conditions the arising of a new consciousness—kind of like "spooky action at a distance," where two entangled particles seemingly communicate with each other instantaneously, even over great distances.

:confused:
  • edited May 2010
    Sounds like he's talking about Quantum Entanglement, though as far as science goes it's on about the same level as wormholes; at this point just a theory, and not a scientific theory at that. A normal theory. ;)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    As far as I know, in Theravada, there is no sutta which provides explanation as to how rebirth happens or what is reborn. Rebirth is merely a moral teaching
  • edited May 2010
    I think we take the selfish route when we ponder the aspects of rebirth, and fail to understand that it is everything which is reborn. All things become something else, which become something else again, ad infinitum. It's not our fault that we think that way. Who are we to argue with the totality of human history that came before, and the conditions that have brought us and Buddhism to this point?

We want to believe we are special somehow. But special to what? To whom? Apparently to ourselves, and we all know that the self of the mind is mind-made; at least if we understand the concept of Non-Self. If not to ourselves, then to some god or gods. We either judge ourselves or find judgment from a higher power. I find it all fascinating. :)

I've struggled my entire life, or at least since 13ish, to understand the hows, the whys of reality. To identify which religion, which philosophy, which science held truth. We are a myriad species of mind-boggling imagination, hopes and dreams; nightmares. It turns out that Buddhism is the closest thing we have, but it's not the perfect solution yet. Perhaps if we keep working at it, we'll restore what the Buddha must have truly taught.

I think we may find that 90% of the totality is in accord with his teachings at-the-time and with reality as it stands. I'm sure we'd all disagree, but wouldn't it be grand if we took up the task? No one individual, and no one tradition, could do it. Together... we could. Until then, all schools of Buddhism teach of the cessation of suffering; all lead to liberation, given that the conditions are right.

;)
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Stephen wrote: »
    ...Buddhism teach of the cessation of suffering; all lead to liberation...

Of course. I am not saying there is something wrong in belief in rebirth or non-belief in rebirth. An individual's belief is just that, an individual's belief. The Buddha never gave answers to questions like "what will happen after death", "what will be the beginning of the universe" etc. At least the suttas do not seem to give any information about such in detail.
  • edited May 2010
    Oh, heh, sorry; didn't mean to argue. I wasn't specifically replying to you. In fact I'm not sure if I was specifically replying to the OP. I was just throwing out there what thoughts arose of karma, its attachment to us as we conceptualize literal rebirth, and where the truth may be.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    ....as we conceptualize literal rebirth, and where the truth may be.

The essence of the Buddha's teachings are verifiable here and now. They are not conceptualizations or speculations.
  • edited May 2010
    That is why I no longer do. It's more for the benefit of the reader, who may already have such conceptions, to understand.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    :)
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Maha-cattarisaka Sutta
    And what is wrong view? 'There is nothing given, nothing offered, nothing sacrificed. There is no fruit or result of good or bad actions. There is no this world, no next world, no mother, no father, no spontaneously reborn beings; no priests or contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is wrong view.

And what is wrong view?That things occur by chance. There is no result of actions. For one born with a birth defect or struck down by illness or accident, it is a matter of being in the wrong place, wrong time or having the wrong parents. There is no one with answers. One with this view cannot escape suffering.
    "And what is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions? 'There is what is given, what is offered, what is sacrificed. There are fruits & results of good & bad actions. There is this world & the next world. There is mother & father. There are spontaneously reborn beings; there are priests & contemplatives who, faring rightly & practicing rightly, proclaim this world & the next after having directly known & realized it for themselves.' This is the right view that has effluents, sides with merit, & results in acquisitions.

Here there is a ray of hope that gives rise to faith and reduces suffering. One acquires merit or a place in heaven. There is hope in the future. This is no different from other religions. Without faith there is no 1st step.
    "And what is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path? The discernment, the faculty of discernment, the strength of discernment, analysis of qualities as a factor for Awakening, the path factor of right view of one developing the noble path whose mind is noble, whose mind is free from effluents, who is fully possessed of the noble path. This is the right view that is without effluents, transcendent, a factor of the path.

"One tries to abandon wrong view & to enter into right view: This is one's right effort. One is mindful to abandon wrong view & to enter & remain in right view: This is one's right mindfulness. Thus these three qualities — right view, right effort, & right mindfulness — run & circle around right view.

Here the transcendent right view emerges from direct meditative experience. Truth emerges that suffering results from attachment to greed, hatred and delusion [of permanence, attractiveness of things and a self]. End of suffering[nibbana] can be realized here and now.
    The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
    Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
    Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise.

I chant my praise to this Teaching,
    I bow my head to this Truth.
  • edited May 2010
    pegembara wrote: »
    All things occur by chance. There is no result of actions. For one born with a birth defect or struck down by illness or accident, it is a matter of being in the wrong place, wrong time or having the wrong parents. There is no one with answers. One with this view cannot escape suffering.
    Nothing occurs by chance, but all things by conditionality. It is of conditionality that we suffer, and also of conditionality that we either do or do not find the path. It is exactly the case where the state in which you find yourself now has come to be of all conditions that gave rise to your aggregates, and all conditions that propagated their continued bond, the sensual world you have perceived in thoughts, your ideas born of thought, and all else.

There is no thought, no action, that is not conditioned. We can choose to think that the choice is ours, that the will is ours, but there is no 'self' to make such claims. There is no doer of the deed, only the engine of Dependent Origination that drives forth the universe and all of its component parts.

There are results to actions, but no one that acts. And these results are yet further conditions. We must fully understand both Non-Self and Dependent Origination to bring into view the correct understanding of this truth. To speak of one without the other in mind, when it comes to statements of who may or may not find release from suffering, is not final Right View; only a misguided initial Right View, as the first part of the path rather than the last that it is meant to represent.

One who by conditions suffers, by conditions seeks release from suffering, by conditions finds the teachings of the Buddha and by conditions properly follows the path so that the "right" conditions for awakening occur... finds freedom. That is the way, and it is not you; you are not it. You are empty of any true identity, and are driven forth by the same guiding principle, the same base functionality, as everything else that exists. Nothing more, nothing less.

Whew. And here I haven't slept all night. Go figure.

~
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited May 2010
    There are results to actions, but no one that acts. And these results are yet further conditions. We must fully understand both Non-Self and Dependent Origination to bring into view the correct understanding of this truth. To speak of one without the other in mind, when it comes to statements of who may or may not find release from suffering, is not final Right View; only a misguided initial Right View, as the first part of the path rather than the last that it is meant to represent.

Care to elaborate?
  • edited May 2010
    Yikes, care to ask another loaded question? I'm sleepy. It's amazing I made the other post. ;) If there's a specific part you're asking about, it would be easier. If the entire paragraph leaves you mind-boggled, it's likely I've over-complicated the issue out of sleep-deprivation.

~
    edited May 2010
    Deshy wrote: »
    As far as I know, in Theravada, there is no sutta which provides explanation as to how rebirth happens or what is reborn. Rebirth is merely a moral teaching

It's true that there are no suttas that give a detailed explanation of this process, and none that suggest "something" is reborn, but there are suttas that imply such a process and provide imagery to illustrate it. In SN 44.9, for example, the Buddha uses a simile in which, it can be argued, he compares the sustenance of a flame to that of a being at the time of death to illustrate how craving plays a vital role in the renewal of beings and the production of future births. Nevertheless, the detailed workings of this process are to be found in the Abhidhamma and Pali commentaries, not the suttas.

While many people reject the Abhidhamma and commentaries as a reliable source of information regarding what the Buddha taught, I don't think the views of the Buddha and the ancient commentators such as Buddhaghosa are necessarily mutually exclusive. It's true, for example, that the Pali term "patisandhi-citta" (re-linking consciousness) — which is used to explain the process of rebirth in detail — is only found in the commentarial literature; but one can just as easily argue that such a "re-linking" consciousness is implied in places like SN 44.9, where the Buddha states that, "... when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, I designate it as craving-sustained, for craving is its sustenance at that time."

Of course, one can just as easily re-interpret such statements, or to be more precise, translations, in such a way as to support a single-life presentation of dependent co-arising and non-postmortem rebirth (i.e., keeping solely within the framework of what I'd call psychological processes), which I have no problem with personally. That's why I prefer to leave it up to the individual to decide what interpretation or model they find more useful in their approach to the study and practice of the Dhamma.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Karma is in truth the totality of all conditionality within the universe, all one and together...

The totality of karma is processed by the mechanism of Dependent Origination. That is, all appropriate conditions lead to change, which becomes the plateau of new conditions for future growth...

There are always deeper meanings. Come to understand how everything fits together, not just within ourselves but for the entire universe, and you will feel the life that is all-pervasive as a characteristic of its existence.

I can relate to this, Stephen. In Vedanta, karma primarily means the work that emanates from within, whether mental, physical, or emotional. Samskaras are the mental "rivulets" (or "scars" if negative) that in large part determine our karma, our work, if we do not apply ourselves to new life.

I write this just in case anyone else sees a lot of this talk on karma leading, in many cases, to no good end. "As you sow, so shall you reap" is the Western idea of karma, but really it goes much deeper.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    It's true that there are no suttas that give a detailed explanation of this process, and none that suggest "something" is reborn.......

suttas that imply.......

it can be argued......

Abhidhamma and commentaries......

many people reject the Abhidhamma and Pali commentaries as a reliable source of information........

the process of rebirth in detail is only found in the commentarial literature......

one can just as easily re-interpret such statements......

I have no problem with personally...

:p
    That's why I prefer to leave it up to the individual to decide

I prefer to go by what is verifiable here and now just like the Buddha would have taught it
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    "And at the moment when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, what do you designate as its sustenance then?"

"Vaccha, when a being sets this body aside and is not yet reborn in another body, I designate it as craving-sustained, for craving is its sustenance at that time."

SN 44.9
    So this "body" is not necessarily physical body. Why should it be? This body is the "ego identification". The birth of the "I". The Buddha is explaining how one such birth is sustained by the craving and the desire to be until that body breaks (the self identification is challenged causing dukkha). Just like the fire sustains due to the wind, the ego sustains due to the desire and the craving to be so and so; such and such; me and mine. This is verifiable in this lifetime. Why would the Buddha teach something that needs one to be dead to verify its truth
  • edited May 2010
    Rebirth is merely a moral teaching

This is a matter of opinion.
    Its actually the opinion that holds the onus of defense in the "rebirth debate".
    Not the other way around.
    Not that there is anything wrong with that opinion. Its valuable and produces results, but we cant definitively state one way or the other as absolute fact.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    This is a matter of opinion.

Of the Buddha :D
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    ...we cant definitively state one way or the other as absolute fact.

Of course, we can't. Most importantly it's irrelevant to Nibbana
  • edited May 2010
    Of the Buddha :D

ha, on that opinion I would disagree completely.:)
    edited May 2010
    So this "body" is not necessarily physical body. Why should it be? This body is the "ego identification". The birth of the "I". The Buddha is explaining how one such birth is sustained by the craving and the desire to be until that body breaks (the self identification is challenged causing dukkha). Just like the fire sustains due to the wind, the ego sustains due to the desire and the craving to be so and so; such and such; me and mine. This is verifiable in this lifetime. Why would the Buddha teach something that needs one to be dead to verify its truth

Yes, depending on the context, the Pali term kaya, which here is translated as "body," can refer to both the physical body (rupa-kaya) and the mental body (nama-kaya). In this case, I think that it can be reasonably interpreted both ways considering Vaccha's initial question.

My point, however, wasn't to suggest that one interpretation is the only correct way to read this sutta, it was simply to demonstrate there are suttas that provide imagery to illustrate the process of rebirth. Depending on how you want to interpret this sutta, both interpretations can be supported, and traditionally, Theravada has taken a literalist approach. I don't care which people prefer, I'm just sharing what I know.

Here's the Pali for anyone that's interested:
    Atha kho vacchagotto paribbājako yena bhagavā tenupasaṅkami; upasaṅkamitvā bhagavatā saddhiṃ sammodi. Sammodanīyaṃ kathaṃ sāraṇīyaṃ vītisāretvā ekamantaṃ nisīdi. Ekamantaṃ nisinno kho vacchagotto paribbājako bhagavantaṃ etadavoca –

‘‘Purimāni , bho gotama , divasāni purimatarāni sambahulānaṃ nānātitthiyānaṃ samaṇabrāhmaṇānaṃ paribbājakānaṃ kutūhalasālāyaṃ sannisinnānaṃ sannipatitānaṃ ayamantarākathā udapādi – ‘ayaṃ kho pūraṇo kassapo saṅghī ceva gaṇī ca gaṇācariyo ca ñāto yasassī titthakaro sādhusammato bahujanassa. Sopi sāvakaṃ abbhatītaṃ kālaṅkataṃ upapattīsu byākaroti – ‘asu amutra upapanno, asu amutra upapanno’ti. Yopissa sāvako uttamapuriso paramapuriso paramapattipatto tampi sāvakaṃ abbhatītaṃ kālaṅkataṃ upapattīsu byākaroti – ‘asu amutra upapanno, asu amutra upapanno’’’ti.

‘‘Ayampi kho makkhali gosālo…pe… ayampi kho nigaṇṭho nāṭaputto…pe… ayampi kho sañcayo [sañjayo (sī. syā. kaṃ. pī.)] belaṭṭhaputto…pe… ayampi kho pakudho [pakuddho (pī.)] kaccāno…pe… ayampi kho ajito kesakambalo saṅghī ceva gaṇī ca gaṇācariyo ca ñāto yasassī titthakaro sādhusammato bahujanassa. Sopi sāvakaṃ abbhatītaṃ kālaṅkataṃ upapattīsu byākaroti – ‘asu amutra upapanno, asu amutra upapanno’ti. Yopissa sāvako uttamapuriso paramapuriso paramapattipatto tampi sāvakaṃ abbhatītaṃ kālaṅkataṃ upapattīsu byākaroti – ‘asu amutra upapanno, asu amutra upapanno’’’ti.

‘‘Ayampi kho samaṇo gotamo saṅghī ceva gaṇī ca gaṇācariyo ca ñāto yasassī titthakaro sādhusammato bahujanassa. Sopi sāvakaṃ abbhatītaṃ kālaṅkataṃ upapattīsu byākaroti – ‘asu amutra upapanno, asu amutra upapanno’ti. Yopissa [yo ca khvassa (pī.)] sāvako uttamapuriso paramapuriso paramapattipatto tañca sāvakaṃ abbhatītaṃ kālaṅkataṃ upapattīsu na byākaroti – ‘asu amutra upapanno, asu amutra upapanno’ti. Api ca kho naṃ evaṃ byākaroti – ‘acchecchi taṇhaṃ, vivattayi saṃyojanaṃ, sammā mānābhisamayā antamakāsi dukkhassā’ti. Tassa mayhaṃ, bho gotama, ahu deva kaṅkhā, ahu vicikicchā – ‘kathaṃ nāma [kathañhi nāma (syā. kaṃ. pī. ka.) kathaṃ kathaṃ nāma (chakkaṅguttare pañcamavagge dutiyasutte)] samaṇassa gotamassa dhammo abhiññeyyo’’’ti [dhammābhiññeyyāti (pī. ka.) dhammo… aññeyyo (chakkaṅguttare)]?

‘‘Alañhi te, vaccha, kaṅkhituṃ, alaṃ vicikicchituṃ. Kaṅkhanīye ca pana te ṭhāne vicikicchā uppannā. Saupādānassa khvāhaṃ, vaccha, upapattiṃ paññāpemi no anupādānassa. Seyyathāpi , vaccha, aggi saupādāno jalati, no anupādāno; evameva khvāhaṃ, vaccha, saupādānassa upapattiṃ paññāpemi, no anupādānassā’’ti.

‘‘Yasmiṃ , bho gotama, samaye acci vātena khittā dūrampi gacchati, imassa pana bhavaṃ gotamo kiṃ upādānasmiṃ paññāpetī’’ti? ‘‘Yasmiṃ kho, vaccha, samaye acci vātena khittā dūrampi gacchati, tamahaṃ vātūpādānaṃ paññāpemi. Vāto hissa, vaccha, tasmiṃ samaye upādānaṃ hotī’’ti. ‘‘Yasmiñca pana, bho gotama, samaye imañca kāyaṃ nikkhipati, satto ca aññataraṃ kāyaṃ anupapanno hoti, imassa pana bhavaṃ gotamo kiṃ upādānasmiṃ paññāpetī’’ti? ‘‘Yasmiṃ kho, vaccha, samaye imañca kāyaṃ nikkhipati, satto ca aññataraṃ kāyaṃ anupapanno hoti, tamahaṃ taṇhūpādānaṃ vadāmi. Taṇhā hissa, vaccha, tasmiṃ samaye upādānaṃ hotī’’ti [hotīti…pe… (ka.)]. Navamaṃ.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    ha, on that opinion I would disagree completely.:)

Matter of opinion :)
  • edited May 2010
    Matter of opinion :)
    exactly.
  • edited May 2010

My point, however, wasn't to suggest that one interpretation is the only correct way to read this sutta, it was simply to demonstrate there are suttas that provide imagery to illustrate the process of rebirth. Depending on how you want to interpret this sutta, both interpretations can be supported, and traditionally, Theravada has taken a literalist approach. I don't care which people prefer, I'm just sharing what I know.

There should be a "like" button on here like they have on Buttbook.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    both interpretations can be supported

:crazy:

Are both interpretations verifiable?
    I designate the rebirth of one who has sustenance, Vaccha, and not of one without sustenance

So what do you think that exists with craving as a sustenance?
    <title>CulavedallaSutta</title><link rev="made" href="mailto:metta@world.std.com">"The craving that makes for further becoming -- accompanied by passion & delight, relishing now here & now there -- i.e., craving for sensual pleasure, craving for becoming, craving for non-becoming: This, friend Visakha, is the origination of self-identification described by the Blessed One."

Culavedalla Sutta
    edited May 2010
    I don't give a rat's ear for any of this discussion. It's not only useless, but also counterproductive.

Above all, the Lord Buddha's idea of karma was an ethical one, not a metaphysical one. Buddha eschewed metaphysical arguments.

That is a matter of which there is much proof.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Before you say that's another translation, why don't you kindly explain to me what you think remains when the physical body breaks with craving as a sustenance? I'm asking this as you see the possibility of both interpretations.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Nirvana wrote: »
    I don't give a rat's ear for any of this discussion. It's not only useless, but also counterproductive.

How did you make that judgment without giving a rat's ear? :confused:
    edited May 2010
    Before you say that's another translation, why don't you kindly explain to me what you think remains when the physical body breaks with craving as a sustenance? I'm asking this as you see the possibility of both interpretations.

In either interpretation, rebirth is the continuation of a process — nothing "remains," nothing "transmigrates," etc. — there are merely phenomena that condition other phenomena in the interdependent process we call life. The only difference I see is that one side believes this process ceases at death, regardless of whether there's still craving present in the mind, and the other doesn't.

Beyond that, I'm not interesting in getting into a debate with you about rebirth. You've obviously made up your mind about where you stand, and seeing as how I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, I see little point in going any further.
    edited May 2010

Above all, the Lord Buddha's idea of karma was an ethical one, not a metaphysical one. Buddha eschewed metaphysical arguments.

That is a matter of which there is much proof.

Sorry, Nirvy. Personally, I think it's useful up to a certain point. For example, I think it's important that people who are new to Buddhism are presented with each side. That way they can decide for themselves what's more helpful to their practice. Sometimes people simply find the teachings on rebirth useful, and it's not for me to judge whether they are right or wrong in doing so. Buddhism is flexible like that. :)
    edited May 2010
    No disagreement with that, Jason.

My issue is with the headstrong discussions.

There is no right answer. It's analagous to whether it's more correct to prefer peaches or to prefer mangoes.

They are both correct choices for the discriminating eater.

The Buddha taught harmony, not discursiveness.

In the end religions can tend to make people a bit crazy and, as a result, they lose sight of the essentials, I am afraid.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    whether it's more correct to prefer peaches or to prefer mangoes.
    MANGOES!

anyone who think "peaches" is clearly ignorant and should be regarded as lesser human beings. Not even worth arguing with.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The Buddha taught harmony, not discursiveness.

The Buddha taught suffering and the cessation of suffering.

Besides you are implying a disharmony here which is not present.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The only difference I see is that one side believes this process ceases at death, regardless of whether there's still craving present in the mind, and the other doesn't.

The only difference is there is no explanation as to how this process continues at death.
    You've obviously made up your mind about where you stand

I have not made up my mind on rebirth. I don't know what is reborn and how it is reborn. But I do know that it is not in the least relevant to the attainment of Nibbana. Also, the Buddha would not teach something in his essential teachings that would be unverifiable in this lifetime so that people just have to blindly believe in what he says.
    edited May 2010
    The only difference is there is no explanation as to how this process continues at death.

Of course there is; it's detailed in the Abhidhamma Pitaka and the Pali commentaries. The question isn't whether there's an explanation, it's whether you accept the source.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Abhidhamma Pitaka and the Pali commentaries

:)
  • edited May 2010
    Karma also means pure karma or pure mind that does not transmigrate called Suchness, Buddha nature, dharma body, World honor one among others.:eek:
    edited May 2010
    The Buddha taught suffering and the cessation of suffering.

Besides you are implying a disharmony here which is not present.

So, what's your point?

This, a response to my point above that the Lord Buddha taught his disciples not to argue pointless subjects amongst themselves?

We are all inheritors, like it or not, of the dharma of all the religions of the world, in that we have to cohabit space with people influenced by such teachings. Let us not be so narrow as to be keenly insistent on any one-ponted "essence" of any one religion.

I believe that you have to look at the life —as a whole— of the religious teacher in order better to interpret what is to be stressed.

I, for one, do not find following the Noble Eightfold Path in any way contradicting the idea of harmony. Discursiveness, on the other hand, tends towards partisanship, digressing from one thought to another.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    So, what's your point?

This, a response to my point above that the Lord Buddha taught his disciples not to argue pointless subjects amongst themselves?

We are all inheritors, like it or not, of the dharma of all the religions of the world, in that we have to cohabit space with people influenced by such teachings. Let us not be so narrow as to be keenly insistent on any one-ponted "essence" of any one religion.

I believe that you have to look at the life —as a whole— of the religious teacher in order better to interpret what is to be stressed.

I, for one, do not find following the Noble Eightfold Path in any way contradicting the idea of harmony. Discursiveness, on the other hand, tends towards partisanship, digressing from one thought to another.

:D

First you are implying a discursiveness which is not present.

Second, you are implying a disharmony which is not present. (In fact you seem to be the one shouting the most :p )

Third, the discussion which you call pointless is not pointless

Fourth, you said you wouldn't give a rat's ear but you are still here?

So, what is your point?
  • edited May 2010
    The discussion only becomes "pointless" for us when we start clinging to views.
    Often the debates splinter off into other subjects that can lead to fruitful conversation.
    That is, if we all avoid clinging to views.