Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can't look anymore

RichardHRichardH Veteran
edited June 2010 in Buddhism Today
There was a time when I could look at film footage of people experiencing terrible suffering or trauma, such as archive images of executions during war. These images were powerful and had an impact, they haunted, but I could still take it in. In fact I thought it necessary to take it in, because it is the reality of our world.

This evening there was a television documentary on xenophobic violence in present day Russia that included these kind of images. I could not bare to see or hear this suffering. I coverd my ears and looked away, then quickly changed the channel.

It is strange that the exposure to violence has had the opposite effect over time than one would suppose, not a de-sensitization, but an increase in sensitization to the point of not being able to look.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    I started off like this.
    You can only imagine then, what gazing upon such horror does to me now.
    I won't even watch fictitious work of this nature.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    federica wrote: »
    I started off like this.
    You can only imagine then, what gazing upon such horror does to me now.
    I won't even watch fictitious work of this nature.
    yup,

I can't understand how all of the kids theses days can watch a 2 hours movie where all that happens is some people getting tortured for 2 hours...

I used to love watching scary movies, but those that scare you, not disgust you.
    (anyone ever watch "Ju-on the grudge" in japanese?)
    Scary is like going to a ride in the amusement park, you see these intense emotion arising inside of you, and appreciate their intensity, but you know they will pass...)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2010
    I have the same problem, especially in regard to rape scenes. I just can't watch that kind of shit anymore.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Fictionalized violence disturbs me. However, if it's footage of actual violence, I feel obligated to look.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Whenever there's anything on PBS on Hitler I immediately turn the thing off. I've had it with Hitler up to 30 feet above my head. Just cannot tolerate the thought of the man.

I do love the movies, but sometimes just have to look away. I chipped a top incisor years ago watching Godfather and Godfather II at a double feature. I told a fellow about it and he thought I was too much of a wimp. He said that he enjoyed gory movies, guts spurting out and all. Funny thing, I can't even remember the guy's name anymore. I guess some people just aren't worth the bother of remembering.

Anybody else here rejoice when they cannot even recall the name of an unfriendly person that they once had to be around?
  • shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I often refuse to watch shows with extreme brutality-- makes me deeply uncomfortable.

However, some really good movies can also have really disturbing violence. "American History X" is one example: I think the message of the movie is awesome and even that of love and forgiveness, yet it also has some of the most disturbing scenes I've *ever* seen. But that's "violence to the point" (hate to say that) since the movie is about a neo-Nazi group and partially takes place in prison-- those situations are, indeed, very violent and not showing that would be deception.
  • edited May 2010
    This thread is so remarkably prescient for me. I have opened a thread regarding getting rid of nasty images (and the distress) that I have been exposed to (not by choice!) I wish wholeheartedly that I had never watched and read so many things. The distress can be overwhelming - it then becomes useless 'pity' rather than skillful compassion according to another thread. I can deal with images relating to real abuse and terror because I take whatever action I can following them.

However the fictional stuff is just nasty and I know that my distress is a result of being highly sensitive and imaginative. A student of mine said that he deals with it by imagining the film crew and all the mundane activites going on around the set while the scene is being filmed. In his mind he pulls the camera back to see the film studio and everyone else in the area. He also imagines the actors kidding around with eachother before and after the scene. As a psychologist, I think that's a really cool technique to use.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I too, have changed. There was a time when it did not effect me, but now I find it difficult to watch. Invariably, I switch channels.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2010
    This is called "compassion": 'suffering with' in its original meaning. We can, of course, turn away but, in due course, we understand that this is why Avalokiteshvara weeps.

May I refer you to the Jewish legend of the Lamed Vav?
    Lamed Vav

by Ilil Arbel, Ph.D.
    The Lamed Vav are two letters in the Hebrew alphabet. Numerically, they represent 36. Legends tell that in this world, there always live thirty-six men who are also called Tzadikim Nistarim, or the Hidden Just Men. They are usually poor, unknown, obscure, and no one guesses that they are the ones who bear all the sorrows and sins of the world. It is for their sake that God does not destroy the world even when sin overwhelms mankind.

When one of the Lamed Vav dies, another is immediately chosen to take his place. Often, the Tzadik Nistar does not even know he is chosen for the task. As long as the Lamed Vav continue to serve humanity and God in this fashion, the world will go on. But if at some point God will not be able to find someone just and good enough to replace a dying Tzadik, the world will end immediately.

and see Schwartz-Bart's wonderful book Le dernier des justes ("The Last of the Just")

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Fran45 wrote: »
    .....A student of mine said that he deals with it by imagining the film crew and all the mundane activites going on around the set while the scene is being filmed. In his mind he pulls the camera back to see the film studio and everyone else in the area. He also imagines the actors kidding around with eachother before and after the scene. As a psychologist, I think that's a really cool technique to use.
    And I swear to you as I sit and type this, I promise, I hadn't read this comment when I replied to you in that thread....
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The last violent movie I watched all the way through was "The Red Dragon" (Hannibal Lector). I went only because a friend wanted me to go with him, and when I left the movie theater I was nauseous and my whole body ached. A few years later a girlfriend tried to get me to watch a DVD of "Independence Day" with her. After about ten minutes, she looked at my face and turned the movie off.

Also my favorite novelist is Jane Austen.

Testosterone is wasted on me. I'm just a shell of a man. ;-)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Fran45 wrote: »
    This thread is so remarkably prescient for me. I have opened a thread regarding getting rid of nasty images (and the distress) that I have been exposed to (not by choice!) I wish wholeheartedly that I had never watched and read so many things. The distress can be overwhelming - it then becomes useless 'pity' rather than skillful compassion according to another thread. I can deal with images relating to real abuse and terror because I take whatever action I can following them.

However the fictional stuff is just nasty and I know that my distress is a result of being highly sensitive and imaginative. A student of mine said that he deals with it by imagining the film crew and all the mundane activites going on around the set while the scene is being filmed. In his mind he pulls the camera back to see the film studio and everyone else in the area. He also imagines the actors kidding around with eachother before and after the scene. As a psychologist, I think that's a really cool technique to use.

The last part reminds me of Alejandro Jodorowsky's film The Holy Mountain. Probably not a movie for people who are overly sensitive to unpleasant images, though.
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited May 2010
    RenGalskap wrote: »

Also my favorite novelist is Jane Austen.

mine too

for horror movies i use the 'film crew' is in front of the scene and this is 'filmed before'

and

try to see the 'cause and effect' for the characters

enjoyment and learning can get in one go
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2010
    I've never enjoyed horror films for this reason. People think I'm oversensitive; I rather like it that way.
    edited May 2010
    sensitive men are so sexy and attractive......

(Did I say that out loud......?) :eek: :lol:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I am horrified when I see real violence, only bored when I see the cartoon violence of horror movies, which substitute graphic violence for actual storytelling. I watched a video last night about what is really going on in Afganistan with the greatly increased numbers of civilian deaths due to the vastly increased NATO (read US) army presence. It was very difficult to see the pictures of maimed and murdered children and adults, but I think it is absolutely necessary to watch that kind of thing. We can't just hide from it and hope it will go away because it won't. We need to experience the suffering of our fellow sentient beings, human or otherwise.

If you'd like to watch the video, go here. It will open your eyes.

Palzang
  • edited May 2010
    I find watching a World Vision infomercial far more difficult than a horror movie.

I know video games have been discussed to death, but it seems to fit here. I have eliminated all "M" rated games across the board. If the game carries that rating, chances are you're going to need a strong stomach to play it.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Palzang wrote: »
    It was very difficult to see the pictures of maimed and murdered children and adults, but I think it is absolutely necessary to watch that kind of thing. We can't just hide from it and hope it will go away because it won't. We need to experience the suffering of our fellow sentient beings, human or otherwise.

I agree with you here 100% Palzang... Experiencing that kind of suffering (even though not in person) strengthens ones compassion for our fellow sentient beings...[/quote]
    Palzang wrote: »
    If you'd like to watch the video, go here. It will open your eyes.

Being from Canada I was not able to view this video.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm similar, both with current events and historical ones.

Example: I am quite passionate about Holocaust education and literature. My favorite writer was in Auschwitz, actually. For me, reading about Nazi atrocities and the different ways in which people reacted to them is a fascinating window into human nature.

However, I CANNOT DEAL with the images. If a history book I'm reading contains one of those photographs, I have to put my hand over it so I can think properly. As for the whole 'Schindler's List' phenomenon, I had to read Thomas Keneally's book instead of seeing the movie. Cliche time: a picture is worth a thousand words.

I can't watch the live footage of the gulf oil spill, either. I love my friend L, but when she started posting crime scene photos of murdered transgendered people on Facebook (she's into transgender rights activism), I had to hide her from my feed. Words are a buffer; images take a straighter path to the emotional core of one's brain.

I don't know if this hypersensitivity to images is normal or healthy, but I do know that people who "can't look" are not alone.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Read the topic title on the other page and was like yeah bro know what your talking about.
  • edited June 2010
    Glow wrote: »
    Fictionalized violence disturbs me. However, if it's footage of actual violence, I feel obligated to look.
    I cringe a little at fictionalized violence but actual footage of violence is no no.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited June 2010
    One comes through the other side of this, eventually. I used to have trouble with very violent material, too, but at the moment, I'm reading
    • A novel in which one major character is a torturer, and another is an assassin
    • A history of the Arab/Zionist conflict in Palestine. Lots of atrocities on both sides. Considerably more and considerably more atrocious atrocities by the Zionists than by the Arabs so far, I would say, but I'm only up to about 1948.
    • A few books written during the warring states period in ancient China.
    The trick is to learn to rest in the experience of the pain you're witnessing.
  • edited June 2010
    federica wrote: »
    sensitive men are so sexy and attractive......

(Did I say that out loud......?) :eek: :lol:
    OH yeah. you said that aloud.
  • edited June 2010
    I just tell myself that the thing is just fiction and it's not real... Real violence is too hard to watch.