Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Life equals suffering?

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited May 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hello. I've been into Buddhism for a few years now and I've read my share of four noble truth. I want to talk about the first. Specifically 3 variations. Understanding the 4 noble truths is part of right view.

I have come across 3 variations of the first noble truth.

There is suffering
There is suffering in life
Life is suffering

I've been thinking of the differences. Would you interpret the latter as Life equals suffering? When I start thinking about this I don't really get it, it kinda sounds like we're all sick people or something. It seems to be one of the most popular versions I hear. What do you think is what the Buddha said in the sutras? I think though understanding the 3rd - the end of suffering makes you get the point and see the whole picture though.

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2010
    A fourth variation is "suffering is this".

:)
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Ahhhhhhh.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Pseudo-Buddhism/Dhamma-Lite: Life is not always pleasant, let's just put up with it with happy faces!

Real Buddhism (as I understand it): Life is bound up with Dukkha, let's stop getting reborn!

From the outside it can be difficult to tell who is the real deal and who is the pseudo-buddhist because the real practitioners often have big smiles on their faces.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    Hello. I've been into Buddhism for a few years now and I've read my share of four noble truth. I want to talk about the first. Specifically 3 variations. Understanding the 4 noble truths is part of right view.

I have come across 3 variations of the first noble truth.

There is suffering
    There is suffering in life
    Life is suffering

I've been thinking of the differences. Would you interpret the latter as Life equals suffering? When I start thinking about this I don't really get it, it kinda sounds like we're all sick people or something. It seems to be one of the most popular versions I hear. What do you think is what the Buddha said in the sutras? I think though understanding the 3rd - the end of suffering makes you get the point and see the whole picture though.

This seems to be a popular topic lately. You can read my answer to a similar question here.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    life in the reborn cycle is suffering.
  • edited May 2010
    To this I'd say that all life is change, the human mental condition is one of delusional attempt to cling to permanence, and that this is what is meant by dukkha. That condition which clings we call the "self", and it is not us; we are not it. On this path one understands the selfless nature of all phenomena, and then through skillful means eradicates that "self" to bring the mind into harmony with the universe.

That being too long, let's try "human suffering is born of 'self'-centered desire for permanence in an impermanent reality".
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Real Buddhism is found in the here & now, within the heart & mind. The Buddha said of it:
    Sandiṭṭhiko akāliko ehipassiko,

to be seen here & now, timeless, inviting all to come & see,

Opanayiko paccattaṃ veditabbo viññūhi:

leading inward, to be seen by the wise for themselves:

:)
  • edited May 2010
    Life is suffering.
    To keep being reborn is suffering.
    There is the suffering of suffering,the suffering of change.
    The suffering of aversion,the suffering of clinging.
    I think the important thing to keep in mind is that the Buddha taught the way to the cessation of suffering.
  • edited May 2010

Its important to understand that the Buddha gave us methods for the present lifetime in order to overcome the causes of suffering/stress/dissatisfaction. "Suffering" is simply the way we react to our experiences rather than the actual experiences in themselves.

_/\_