Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

punishment

mettafoumettafou Veteran
edited May 2010 in General Banter
how do you punish yrself when you're stupid?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    i flagellate myself 13 times over the back
    then meditate and pray to the buddha
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    mettafou wrote: »
    Perhaps spending some time thinking about those we have hurt while being "stupid", then apologize and make ammend to them would be a good punishment?

(if it is you that you have hurt, then you must apologize and make amend to you. "sorry me!")
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited May 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    Perhaps spending some time thinking about those we have hurt while being "stupid", then apologize and make ammend to them would be a good punishment?

(if it is you that you have hurt, then you must apologize and make amend to you. "sorry me!")

if it is i who see i was stupid
    then i need to do nothing
    because
    when there is nothing
    i can do nothing;)
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    upekka wrote: »
    if it is i who see i was stupid
    then i need to do nothing
    because
    when there is nothing
    i can do nothing;)
    the self is an illusion, it is not you, but unless you are enlighten, you might want to still cultivate compassion and love toward your self (as false as your self may be).
  • edited May 2010
    Usually my punishment is my giant feeling of guilt and remorse. I tend to overdo it some. That's what's been so great about learning to be in the moment! Cut the storyline and just BE, and then it tends to not bother me so much. But I'm still learning how to do this!
  • mettafoumettafou Veteran
    edited May 2010
    for me this question is about dexterity and discipline. rinzai monks would sit under waterfalls and go for huge hikes, vinaya entails shame in front of group, samurai wouldn't eat the next day. basic self imposed conditioning. on one extreme is masochism on the other is indulgence... i don't think emotional cleansing of sin, etc. needs to be part of it.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    vinaya entails shame in front of group...
    this would only be punishment if that person would be conditionned to react with shame when facing the group...
    Same with the other stories.

indulging in negative emotions is not going to do you any good mettafou, this is actually not truly punishment since this is precisely what your ego seem to be craving.
    edited May 2010
    sadu. that's what i'm saying when i say
    i don't think emotional cleansing of sin, etc. needs to be part of it.
    prayer and devotion and altruistic intentions are what i was reminded of and should help more, and in different way...
    edited May 2010
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lVBYF1BAZz0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lVBYF1BAZz0&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

think when it's time to think, feel when it's time to feel, act when it's time to act. controlling those three impulses helps maintain viriya/energy...
    http://gnosticteachings.org/the-teachings-of-gnosis/resources-and-references/three-brains-and-five-centers. i think this is a useful teaching... that said i should better control the intellectual impulses and sensuous and enticing online dhamma discussion a bit more during finals.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited May 2010
    This thread is so appropriate for me today. I struggle a lot with self-love, and that probably stems back far to when I was treated as worthless, so I see myself as worthless often. My old habits have been to make a mistake, usually something self-destructive. Then I get angry with myself and feel guilt and shame, this usually leads to more self-destructive behaviors as punishment, and the cycle goes on and on. I've been trying to focus on being compassionate, along the lines of what patbb is talking about. It's easy for me to be compassionate and loving with others, but very difficult for me to show myself compassion, and even to just apologize to myself as suggested above. I'm finding it very hard to change this old behavior.

Ways that I punish myself are by eating too much, drinking too much, and allowing others to treat my body with disrespect.

Ways that I try to be good to myself are meditating, exercising, eating healthy and delicious foods, resting in nature, and spending time with positive friends.
  • edited May 2010

I judge myself.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    I don't. The criticism and appraisal from others is more than enough without burdening myself with the further need to punish myself.

Making amends - when necessary and appropriate - is different.

But "punish myself"...?
    No point.
    Absolutely no point or obligation, at all.......
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Marmalade wrote: »
    I judge myself.

Me too. I judge myself and mentally berate myself. (I know it's bad, but I can't help it). Since I started my Buddhist journey tho, I have learned to be kinder and more forgiving of myself.