Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where to passing thoughts come from and why do they arise ?

zidanguszidangus Veteran
edited May 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I'm just wondering if there are any detailed explanations for the origin of a passing thought. I often get passing thoughts which seem completely irrational, as I presume everyone does at some time or other, and I just wonder where did that thought come from ?

Comments

• GlowGlow Veteran
    edited May 2010
    It's normal. It's what the brain is designed to do. See the default network.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    zidangus wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if there are any detailed explanations for the origin of a passing thought. I often get passing thoughts which seem completely irrational, as I presume everyone does at some time or other, and I just wonder where did that thought come from ?
    same place as every other thoughts.

the fascinatingly complex wiring of your brain.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The symbolic content of the thought may have any number of origins, psychological etc. but the thought itself, the simple sensory phenomena, is just a blip.
    edited May 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    same place as every other thoughts.

the fascinatingly complex wiring of your brain.

Not other than that for sure, but not "just" that. Is the experience of a thought just the "interior" of neural activity? or is neural activity just the "exterior" of thought experience? Cant say. Two sides, one coin.
  • edited May 2010
    where did that thought come from ?
    satan
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I have been reading Tibetan book of living and dying by Sogyal Rinpoche and it mentions that "Dzogchen meditation is subtly powerful in dealing with the
    arisings of the mind, and has a unique perspective on them.
    All the risings are seen in their true nature, not as separate
    from Rigpa, and not as antagonistic to it, but actually as none
    other—and this is very important—than its "self-radiance," the
    manifestation of its very energy"
    and I think this gives a good explanation from a Buddhist point of view.
  • edited May 2010
    are those thoughts just more thoughts?

<dl><dd>"It is We Who created you and gave you shape; then We bade the angels prostrate to Adam, and they prostrate; not so Iblis (Lucifer); He refused to be of those who prostrate."</dd><dd>(Allah) said: "What prevented thee from prostrating when I commanded thee?" He said: "I am better than he: Thou didst create me from fire, and him from clay." <dl><dd>Qur'an 7:11-12</dd></dl> </dd></dl>
    edited May 2010
    zidangus wrote: »
    I have been reading Tibetan book of living and dying by Sogyal Rinpoche and it mentions that "Dzogchen meditation is subtly powerful in dealing with the
    arisings of the mind, and has a unique perspective on them.
    All the risings are seen in their true nature, not as separate
    from Rigpa, and not as antagonistic to it, but actually as none
    other—and this is very important—than its "self-radiance," the
    manifestation of its very energy"
    and I think this gives a good explanation from a Buddhist point of view.

Pietro is just being puckish. The important thing is to recognize that thoughts are not external entities visiting your mind, but the activity of your own body and mind. You see things, hear things, you have a history. All this goes into the mix. It is just your own normal body and mind.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    But also remember that thoughts are not 'lordly voices of judgement' that must be obeyed. Including that thought that you must have a rootbeer right now with barbecue potato chips. Well sometimes thoughts are bargained with hehe...