Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can't Stop the Music

edited September 2010 in Meditation
Pardon the Village People reference. And in my first ever post on top of it ;)

Ok, here's the thing: I can't stop music from playing in my head. I have a song stuck on repeat in my brain a lot of the time and there's nothing i can do to get it to stop. Even when i'm chanting a mantra or counting my breaths i still have the music going as though in the background.

Anyone else plagued by earworms? Any suggestions on how to get my mind to embrace silence?

Comments

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Poundmaker wrote: »
    Pardon the Village People reference. And in my first ever post on top of it ;)

Ok, here's the thing: I can't stop music from playing in my head. I have a song stuck on repeat in my brain a lot of the time and there's nothing i can do to get it to stop. Even when i'm chanting a mantra or counting my breaths i still have the music going as though in the background.

Anyone else plagued by earworms? Any suggestions on how to get my mind to embrace silence?
    perhaps if you meditate, eventually you will let go of wanting to control it and it will go away without you even notice it, or not, either way if you stop trying to control it, you will stop being annoyed by it.

Just let it be.

There is a song, just like there is a nose on your face, just like you have two arms (are you obsessing about these to?).
  • edited May 2010
    hm, nice. obvious and i should have thought of it, but i guess it doesn't always work that way.

Good advice, thanks!
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I have this problem too. It's not always the same song, but I notice that when it gets too "quiet" in my brain, I automatically start "singing" something in my head, sometimes muttering the words with my mouth.

It's so annoying and it's very hard to stop. But once you become more aware of your actions and your thoughts, you can catch yourself doing it, and stop. If it comes again, catch it, then stop again. Until you find some quiet in your head.

I think my mind becomes "anxious" when there's no thoughts to focus on, and this mental static just pops up as a way to keep it busy so it doesn't have to deal with the pain of reality more directly. That's just what happens with ME tho, I can't generalize.

Having a quiet mind is not easy from what I can see.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    These stories remind me of a buddy of mine who went to the Bose engineering center. He went into a noise cancellation room with speakers all over the place, that basically made any noise that was present absolutely still. He said that when he walked in he was startled at what it was like without noise. He didn't even hear anything in his body... it was dead silent. After a few moments in the room, he said he had the sensation of screeching and wailing... as his mind made up for the silence with phantom noise.

The engineers laughed and told him it was normal, and that it goes away with a little more experience in a room like that. He hadn't been back so couldn't give first hand experience with the projected noise shutting off with more exposure.

In meditation though, many people have had first hand experience with that going away. It does.

With warmth,

Matt
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited May 2010
    It's a common problem. Whatever it is, music or anything else, just let it be for as long as it wants to stay. Just pay attention to it without hoping it will go away or fearing that it will continue.
  • edited May 2010
    Even when i'm chanting a mantra or counting my breaths i still have the music going as though in the background.
    With metta
    This is normal for most Buddhist, only through chanting or counting breaths among others, one's would only be able to discover their music. The only reformation is still doing the chanting and counting. In the Avatamsaka or the Flower Adornment textbooks, it stated that there are 52 levels of sages having this form of music but that kind of music, is not as rough. Most of the Buddhist are below this kind of status, therefore, it is very important to practice meditation like Buddhaname recitation, Zen meditation, Buddhism textbook chanting among others :D
    edited May 2010
    I'm lucky that this "problem" doesn't bother me in meditation. While I'm sitting on the cushion, the music is gone. Pheeew.

It's hard to give it up on other times tho, cuz depending on the song, it gives me a sense of silly "joy" to mindlessly repeat the songs.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2010
    This song..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbw-kHRtmBo ....was going around my head during a retreat once. It was Hell.
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks, everyone. I'm glad i found this place so i can get answers to questions like that. no sympathetic sangha that i've found near me yet.
  • edited May 2010
    Hahah, I know exactly what you mean! I used to think I had a jukebox in my head :D

The more you try to look away from it, the more you're drawn in.

My 2 cents? Dance it out. Like no ones watching. If the fun doesn't take your mind off the it, then the embarrassment might :)
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited May 2010
    One thing that might also help, in some traditions some chants are "sung".
    often I might have Junirai going through my head.
    In Jodo Shinshu we also have hymns called "Gathas"...basically like Christian hymns but with Buddhist words. For us some of them are simply Namu Amida Butsu set to music. So this way instead of a pop song or something going on in the background, it is the dharma!:D

Otherwise I guess the advice mentioned above about not getting concerned about it anymore or less than any other type of mind wandering.

outside of meditation, I am a music teacher for a living, and often I end up with the last song I taught in the day going through my head the rest of the evening.
    I play hockey after work some nights, so there I am playing goal with Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus or similar going through my head...(last student that night is a 16 year old female vocalist)
    I don't really get distracted by it...I just think it is an odd image...a hockey goalie in his late 40's humming Hannah Montana songs! :lol:
  • edited May 2010
    i would welcome the earworm gratefully, treat it to some snacks, because they are much better than tape worms .. i like marmalde's suggestion, actually the ear worms might be presenting an interesting experiment to try in your sonic imagination... you know you can tinker with the auditory experience of an ear worm, you can start playing your own instrument or sing along inside your head or outside.... jam with the ear worm HAHA
    but it's the substratum of the mind that has an intruding record player in it, or rather we're hearing the basement of our mind play music and it's making us angry because "i have to get up at 5 in the morning tomorrow" but actually the song's not that bad and maybe you should just listen to it or know that form is emptiness and there is no ear
    but the substratum isn't playing music for no reason
    even ear worms have buddha nature
  • edited May 2010
    lol, great way of putting it, Pietro
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I've had the problem and still experience it as I have not gotten 'mastery' over it yet.

More meditation I think is the cure. After I became more aware and in the present I noticed it was like a soundtrack of my life and I was able to with meditation turn it off.
  • edited May 2010
    The way I handle it; I jump to the end of the song and let it play until the end, and when it ends, I sit and really concentrate on the feeling of my torso moving, and the breath filling my lungs.
  • edited May 2010
    When your mind is ready to embrace silence, it will. Do not try to force things. Striving will only lead to frustration. If the music playing in your head is inescapable, then don't try to escape. Embrace it. As Marmalade said, dance it out. Eventually it will dissipate. Take your time. Be happy with your efforts, as no effort is meager. Don't try to be your own hero.
    edited May 2010
    Deni wrote: »
    When your mind is ready to embrace silence, it will. Do not try to force things. Striving will only lead to frustration. If the music playing in your head is inescapable, then don't try to escape. Embrace it. As Marmalade said, dance it out. Eventually it will dissipate. Take your time. Be happy with your efforts, as no effort is meager. Don't try to be your own hero.

Very good advice. I find that it doesn't matter how much I try to stop the music in my head from playing sometimes. I just can't get it out. And then when I least expect it, POOF, it's gone.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2010
    This song..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbw-kHRtmBo ....was going around my head during a retreat once. It was Hell.
    Richard,
    I clicked on that and it was HELL! :rarr:
    Yours in the Dharma,
    Todd
    P.S. to the OP, music is always in my head, even when I meditate. The longer I have been meditating it has become less pronounced or not even there anymore. Don't pay it any attention just let it be and it will abate on its own.
  • edited May 2010
    Yes, I have these too! With time they eventually subside. I also find that if I pay attention to them then they get worse. Its strange because I have tinnitus (as a result of a lot of very loud music when a teenager) and that doesn't bother me at all! I know someone (not Buddhist) who studiously avoids all music, TV and radio because of her earworms (amongst other things).
  • edited May 2010
    I have experienced exactly the same thing.
    Solution: get rid of all music :) I deleted all my music collection without any hesitation.
    As the buddhists say, get rid of the cause of the suffering.

Everytime I listened to a new song, I kept hearing in my mind whenever I went to bed, meditated and elsewhere.
    Music is probably the easiest one of the five? pleasures the get rid off.

Concentration helps too. If you can concentrate well enough you'll be able to "grasp" the music going on inside your head and silence it. This needs training.
    music vs. concentration ; good excersise
  • edited July 2010
    The mind is a sense and like the others it can be trained. Getting angry, frustrated, losing patience and giving up are poor ways to train it.
  • edited July 2010
    Poundmaker wrote: »
    ? Any suggestions on how to get my mind to embrace silence?

Keep practising and it will happen naturally.

You'll also probably discover that eventually you are less dependent on listening to music or on needing it as a background noise ! :)

• edited August 2010
    Euler wrote: »
    Music is probably the easiest one of the five? pleasures the get rid off.

heh, maybe for some.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    lol, I created a thread a few months ago about this entitled 'mind loops'. I had lyrics repeating themselves over and over and have had this for many years. It happens in periods though, it is not something I have all of the time. I also have realised that the lyrics are often relevant to the current situation I happen to be in, quite funny actually.

There was a time where it annoyed the hell out of me, but that will just make it worse. I found tht just rolling with it is the best bet. Dance even :P
  • still_learningstill_learning Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Not sure if this will work, but works for me.

When I have a song stuck in my head, I stop everything for a second and I tell myself: I don't really want this right now. I should just stop it.

I've had to do this for a few weeks, but I was able to stop that habit.

It was the act of thinking about what I really want at the present moment that helped me. Being honest and direct with myself.

Just thought I'd toss that in.
  • edited September 2010
    Here is a Rumi poem that I think is relevant.

Where Everything is Music

Don't worry about saving these songs!

And if one of our instruments breaks, it doesn't matter.

We have fallen into the place where everything is music

The strumming and the flute notes rise into the atmosphere,

and even if the whole world's harp should burn up,

there will still be hidden instruments playing.

So the candle flickers and goes out.

We have a piece of flint, and a spark.

This singing art is sea foam.

The graceful movements come

from a pearl somewhere on the ocean floor.

Poems reach up like spindrift

and the edge of driftwood along the beach, wanting!

They derive

from a slow and powerful root

that we cannot see.

Stop the words now.

Open the window in the center of your chest,

and let the spirits fly in and out.
  • edited September 2010
    As a musician, I used to be plagued by this! It's impossible to stop it. So, what I started doing is just treating it like I would any other thought that would come up during meditation. I would do a labeling practice, and simply say to myself "I am having a thought" All I would do is simply acknowledge it as a thought. It was hard at first, but the more that I did it in this manner, it doesn't bother me anymore. And let me tell you, there is nothing worse then trying to sit in silence and having Slayer songs playing in your head...lol. Just work with it for a while, and you will find the same will happen to you too. Hope this was helpful.
  • edited September 2010
    I dunno, but I like meditating with music on. Normally jarring silence annoys me when i start meditating, I just have to have something playing. After a while I stop noticing music is playing at all and it seems to be silent.

Would you guys recommend me continuing with this habit or not?
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I wouldn't recommend it. It can serve as a form of white noise or train your mind to meditate under distracting conditions, but I think it's best to reduce the number of things that can make your mind wonder.
  • edited September 2010
    True, but it allows me to meditate next to a current or a backyard water fall without letting the sound of the pitter-patter bother me.

so basically, if it doesn't distract me I don't have to stop?
    edited September 2010
    Whatever works for you is ok. Maybe try one week without music and see if there's a difference.

What sort of music is it?
  • edited September 2010
    chill instrumentals.
    edited September 2010
    That should be fine then.