Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Five Stages of Death

johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
edited May 2010 in General Banter
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XCoaBN6iOu0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XCoaBN6iOu0&hl=en_US&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Comments

• edited May 2010
    really there are five stages?
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    lol!!

thank you for the laugh!!
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Perhaps for most but a Buddhist who has already accepted death before they are at its door may only need experience one stage, the fifth and final... acceptance... but it would be hard to say without having been there...

I choked on some sausage once a few years back... I remember fighting to live, to breathe... there was a point where I realized I might die... it was at about the point I had lost the energy to stop fighting... I did not experience denial, the situation was clear... my airway was blocked, i couldn't clear it... i was going to die... I did not get angry... anger never even occurred to me actually... I did not bargain, as I do not believe there is a being out there to bargain with... I did not experience a moment of depression... death was at hand... what could denial, anger, or depression (or bargaining for those who believe it might help) do to change the situation... I simply fought to clear my airway then, when unable to do so and I became weak I layed on the floor, the words "I am going to die" sounded softly in my head and I accepted it... It was because I came to acceptance at the moment I was certain death was the only outcome that my throat loosened and instantly the sausage was able to come loose and my airway was cleared... If I had continued to fight and struggle and not accept my death I most likely would be dead right now...

Now don't get me wrong... i did fight hard to clear my throat before I came to the awareness that Death was near... I tried to give myself the Heimlich maneuver, I thrust myself against a chair, against the counter... nothing worked... My 3 year old watching and scared ans screaming, my wife, 9 months pregnant frantic as her arms barely reached around her own stomach and surely couldn't reach around mine... All the blood vessles in my eyes had ruptured as I fought to breath... But at the point where i realized fighting was no longer an option i succumbed to acceptance...

So I do know that the five stages mentioned in the YouTube flick are not a truth set in stone... At least not in situations where the possibility of death comes quickly... it might be different if I was diagnosed with a terminal illness and had more time, but I would hope that I would have the fortitude to accept my situation from the get go...