Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

embracing chaos

mettafoumettafou Veteran
edited June 2010 in General Banter
well it's 5-23 at 5 o'clock. the number 5 is the number of decay, chaos, ambivalence, struggle, etc. i've had my life saved and come close to death so many times around the number 23, even graffitid in huge letters on a bridge i jumped off of. in 2012 i'll be 23
When you start looking for something you tend to find it. This wouldn't be like Simon Newcomb, the great astronomer, who wrote a mathematical proof that heavier than air flight was impossible and published it a day before the Wright brothers took off. I'm talking about people who found a pattern in nature and wrote several scientific articles and got it accepted by a large part of the scientific community before it was generally agreed that there was no such pattern, it was all just selective perception. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_enigma
so how do we relate to chaos, to the unknown, etc. in 23 of the dhammapada the elephant we hear about effort; that we need to strive diligently for our own salvation like a wild elephant. part of me wonders why not embrace the chaos? then again, if we do this in a skillful way, as the buddha would have us, there will be no more chaos. while there will be pain and remainder there will be no suffering, no nama conflating itself with rupa, no mental aggregates feeding off of eachother's delusions and only selfless process, with right view beyond the suffering and impermanence, which upon death we can abandon completely if we strive diligently on the path. :rant:

Comments

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I don't really think we need to do either to chaos. I think we experience chaos when a lot of energy or stimuli meets a space that is too small. Therefore you don't really need to embrace or repel the chaos, simply open your mind more. From there, perhaps you'll find there is plenty of room for the chaos to subside, as there are no walls for it to bounce around against... nothing to continue the vibrating forms.
  • edited June 2010
    I can see how chaos might frequently occur when one of our guiding principles is numerology.
  • edited June 2010
    mettafou wrote: »
    ...graffitid in huge letters on a bridge i jumped off of.

You might want to stop that bridge jumping thing; it sounds unhealthy. :rolleyes:
    mettafou wrote: »
    so how do we relate to chaos, to the unknown

With loving acceptance in as far as we cannot change it, and with prudent determination in as far as we can change it.

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited June 2010
    when I think of Chaos it reminds me of my Rocu that came with Chaotic instruction. I would stare dizzily at it. My friend had also gotten one. Then my son came up to live with me so I had him hook it up for me. Cause lord knows I wasn't gonna touch that with a ten foot pole. My friend Stella, the one who had also gotten one called me and asked me if I had any trouble hooking it up. So I told her "no not at all." So she said a bit suspiciously "Really? Cause I really had to struggle with that dammed thing." So I told her "Yeah there were some parts I had a little bit of trouble with."

So three days later I went over to her mothers to wait untill she got off of work to meet her. So she dragged in from work and grabbed a beer out of the fridge, popped it, and sat down and took a long pull. I grinned at her mother cause I had already told her what had happened.

So I told her "Hey, ya know what? Guy (my son) has come home to try to find a job here. She said "What? he did? When did that happen."

"Oh a couple of days ago and he hooked up my Roku."

She about choked on her next long pull of her beer. "WHY YOU LITTLE BRAT! YOU LIED TO ME. She looked at her mom who was already laughing. "SHE LIED TO ME MOM....SHE TOLD ME SHE HAD HOOKED IT UP WITH NO PROBLEMS!

But me and her mom couldnt stop laughing. I got up to go get another drink from the water pitcher and I couldn't figure out how to get the doggone lid off. Dora (her mom) told me "Oh that twists off."

I grinned at Stella and said "Ya right...I cant even open a water jug and you thought I put my Roku together."

So we were all laughing. And Stella says "I Oughta COME OVER THERE AND SMACK YOU. YOU LIED TO ME.

Maybe sometimes Chaos creates a lot of laughter. heh heh :lol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    ha ha, That's funny. :rolleyes:
    Now.
    What the hell is a rocu?

or is it Roku? :confused:
  • edited June 2010
    its a product that hooks up to your TV that is a Netflix thingy that helps you to select a movie and download it too your tv from their mass of movies. Its actually really cool. So in the evening you can run thru their movie library and pick one out and hit select on the little rocu thingy and boom it downloads to yer tv and starts playing.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I think that chaos becomes easy to deal with when we learn not to resist it and just accept it. I don't know that "embrace" would be the word I'd want to use for my relationship with chaos. I just accept it, try to not be too reactive, and try to make sure that I'm as mindful as possible with any reactions I do need to make.

And I want a Rocu so badly but don't have internet at home!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Chaos? What chaos?
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Chaos is that think I embrace. Love it!!!!!!
  • edited June 2010
    I can see how chaos might frequently occur when one of our guiding principles is numerology.

LOL...indeed indeed.
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I have to admit that chaos dominates my experience when I'm under stress. Once I'm in a situation that scares me or worries me, my mind becomes full of crazy thoughts, pulling me from one direction to the other. Just letting go of control at those times seems to help and letting my brain just do what it will, but the outcome is sometimes not pleasant.

On the outside, chaos for me is not a problem, as my life is lived in a quiet and peaceful way, away from people and other potential causes of stress and mayhem, but in my case, the chaos happens within.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Just letting go of control at those times seems to help and letting my brain just do what it will, but the outcome is sometimes not pleasant.

Very cool even though it doesn't always end up well for you. In the book I'm reading, the author (still on my Tara Brach book) relates letting go of control to what happened back in the 1950s when the US sent some fighter pilots up to altitudes they'd never flown before. Once out of the denser atmosphere, they found that the normal laws of aerodynamics no longer existed. So they did what anyone would do, tried to gain control of their aircraft. But with each correction, it would send the plane even more out of control, tumbling, and almost all of the first pilots to do so died.

Chuck Yeager accidentally found out the solution to this problem. When his aircraft started tumbling, he was knocked unconscious when he was thrown around the plane. Seven miles later, the plane reentered the denser atmosphere, Yeager woke up, and he just got the plane back on track and landed safely. He found that despite all basic training and survival instincts, sometimes the best thing to do in order to survive is to let go of control and not DO anything.

p.s. lightwithin, you randomly popped into my head during my prayers last night! Sending out lots of well wishes your way!
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    Very cool even though it doesn't always end up well for you. In the book I'm reading, the author (still on my Tara Brach book) relates letting go of control to what happened back in the 1950s when the US sent some fighter pilots up to altitudes they'd never flown before. Once out of the denser atmosphere, they found that the normal laws of aerodynamics no longer existed. So they did what anyone would do, tried to gain control of their aircraft. But with each correction, it would send the plane even more out of control, tumbling, and almost all of the first pilots to do so died.

Chuck Yeager accidentally found out the solution to this problem. When his aircraft started tumbling, he was knocked unconscious when he was thrown around the plane. Seven miles later, the plane reentered the denser atmosphere, Yeager woke up, and he just got the plane back on track and landed safely. He found that despite all basic training and survival instincts, sometimes the best thing to do in order to survive is to let go of control and not DO anything.

Interesting story. Letting go for me, means to let my mind and body do what they will and that's not easy to do. It's pretty scary, but sometimes it helps me regain some solid ground after I do it.
    p.s. lightwithin, you randomly popped into my head during my prayers last night! Sending out lots of well wishes your way!

That's very sweet of you, thank you very much. You pop into my consciousness often too when it's Monday and I see you have the internet again and you start posting after a weekend of disappearance. LoL. And also when I read your journal entries. Sending good vibes your way as well!