Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ants . . .

kennykenny Explorer
edited May 2010 in General Banter
Any suggestions for getting rid of ants without killing them? They apparently thought my room was a great place to move their colony. There is no food anywhere so they are not after that. They are just walking around carrying their larva around. . . . There is a bit of exposed insulation in the corner of my room in the ceiling where I haven’t replaced the actual ceiling panel and they seem to be nesting in there but, they keep dropping larva down and so there is a massive trail of them running back and forth picking it all back up.
<o></o>
They are coming in under the siding outside (must be a hole under there. . . ) I tried smoking them back out of the house with some incense I had laying around but, they just moved over a bit and the trail is still here. I’m at a loss. They don’t really become a bother till at night when my tv is the only light and all the flying ones swarm my tv (40 or so of them). And also the rest of the family is not terribly fond of them . . .
<o></o>
Any suggestions would be wonderful. I just took my precepts officially a few days ago and really don’t wish to break them as well as I don’t want to kill the ants in general.

Comments

• johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Flying Ants?!? Holy macadamia nuts!!! I don't think we have those in Canada... None that I've seen or heard of anyways...

Where's MD?

I did some google searching for you and found:

A product called Orange Guard is a nontoxic organic ant repellent that is harmless to humans and other animals and will drive ants away from areas where they are not wanted. However, when applied directly to ants, the active ingredient d-Limonene (orange peel extract) destroys the waxy coating of the insects’ respiratory systems, causing the ants to suffocate, so just don't spray the ants with the repellent. Simply spray the repellent around your home—the citrus fragrance of d-Limonene will repel the ants without killing them.

There are also many natural repellents that you can place around your home to prevent ants from coming in. If ants are coming in the cracks of doors and windows, put a cinnamon stick, coffee grinds, chili pepper, paprika, or dried peppermint leaves near the openings. You can also squeeze the juice of a lemon at the entry spot and leave the peel there. Planting mint around the foundation of the house will also keep ants away.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Johnathan seems to know what to do...

Ants are fascinating animals to watch... I always thought they had the perfect idealistic communist society.

Just be happy they are not cockroaches ;)
    johnathan wrote: »
    Flying Ants?!? Holy macadamia nuts!!! I don't think we have those in Canada... None that I've seen or heard of anyways.
    of course we have flying ants in Canada ;)

I think it's the "princes", only once a year they will fly around until the queen chose one.

Or is it when there is a new queen only?
  • kennykenny Explorer
    edited May 2010
    Thanks very much for some suggestions =). At least it gives me some new things to try. And as far as flying ants go, most people never see them, I'm not sure their exact job within the colony but they are normally close to the queen it seems. Like i said they actually moved in so they are all over the place lol.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2010
    that orange product sounds good. maybe you will go down the rabbit hole like alice and meet the princes and queen of ants? Of with his head! :D
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    Flying Ants?!? Holy macadamia nuts!!!

:lol: