Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A question or two regarding Buddhism

edited May 2010 in Faith & Religion
I hope bringing this up does not offend anyone, I truly do not mean it to.

Thích Quảng Đức is the most famous of the monks who killed themselves in protest in the 60 in Vietnam.

My question is how does one sit without moving, or uttering a word when burning alive. It must have been and is the most pain full way in which to kill yourself so how did he/they achieve this?

Also I read they prepared for "Ritual suicide" What exactly is this in Buddhism? is there a certain procedure you must go though? And why burning?

Do Buddhists condone suicide?

Thanks!

Comments

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    in Buddhism, you learn to observe what happen to your body and your mind without reacting to it. Simply observing this.

This is why, if you practice meditation, you can learn to stop getting angry, stressed out, depressed etc... so eventually, your true nature come to the surface and you are at peace all the time, even in the most extreme situations.
  • NiosNios Veteran
    edited May 2010
    The act of Thich Quang Duc is not something that Buddhism teaches, encourages nor condones.
    He set fire to himself to get the attention of the whole world, to illustrate the lengths at which his people would go to for peace. It worked.

Nios.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited May 2010
    mikaakim wrote: »
    I hope bringing this up does not offend anyone, I truly do not mean it to.

Thích Quảng Đức is the most famous of the monks who killed themselves in protest in the 60 in Vietnam.

My question is how does one sit without moving, or uttering a word when burning alive. It must have been and is the most pain full way in which to kill yourself so how did he/they achieve this?

Also I read they prepared for "Ritual suicide" What exactly is this in Buddhism? is there a certain procedure you must go though? And why burning?

Do Buddhists condone suicide?

Thanks!

Buddhist do not condone suicide. Anyway we just keep our karma and get born again so what is the point. You will just get back to the same situation again.

Besides Monks are generally not allowed to meddle in politics.

That being said sitting like that is a impressing act.

I am a student of martial arts and you learn to deal with pain. Once after kumite I lay in bed three days in fever pissing blood. Had to lift my legs with my hands out of bed. Could not walk for a week.

After a while of hard pracice instead of automatically reacting to painful encounters a sign pops up in your head when hurt.

It says "How should I react now?". You get a choice. You see through the illusion of pain.

But I am not saying I could repeat what that Bikkhu did. In fact I am sure I could not. That is why I am impressed.

/Victor
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I recall Thich Quang Duc set fire to himself because the Vietnamese govt was being controlled by Catholics and were persecuting Buddhism, particularly his sect.

I recall his burning was not related to the Vietnam War but I am happy to be corrected.

Apart from that, certainly Buddhism does not condone such actions.

If Thich Quang Duc was an advanced meditator and had the power to endure being burned alive, this does not necessarily mean his action was wise or enlightened in any way.

Many advanced meditators suffer from 'God delusions'.

The Buddha did not praise sacrificing one's life for causes nor did he promote self-torture as a means of liberation.

The Buddha taught to love & protect all forms of life, which includes one's own.

Kind regards

:)
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I recall his burning was not related to the Vietnam War but I am happy to be corrected.
    That's what I remember from reading, and I just did a Wikipedia search to confirm it. Search for "Buddhist crisis".