Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How often do you meditate?

edited September 2005 in Sanghas
Just doing a little poll.....I meditate almost every night before bed. It all depends on how tired I am once I get my daughter to bed. Sometimes when I put her to bed, I fall asleep with her, and those are the nights that I do not meditate.

How about everyone else?

Comments

• treetop_buddhatreetop_buddha Explorer
    edited September 2005
    i try to meditate twice a day every day so about one a day!
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited September 2005
    honestly i don't ever sit down for "formal" meditation. I meditate while going to the bathroom (don't laugh!), while laying in bed before I go to sleep, while driving, and whenever I need to step back for a second and refocus.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    I used to do formal sitting meditation everyday, however, right now I do exactly what Brian is doing. I am trying to develop a mindfulness practice involving my daily life, which is quite difficult by the way!

The benefits of consistent mindfulness are countless. The very act can lead to Awakening.

:) As for mindfulness while in the bathroom, the Buddha himself mentioned that practice specifically in the Maha-satipatthana Sutta:

"Furthermore, when going forward & returning, he makes himself fully alert; when looking toward & looking away... when bending & extending his limbs... when carrying his outer cloak, his upper robe & his bowl... when eating, drinking, chewing, & savoring... when urinating & defecating... when walking, standing, sitting, falling asleep, waking up, talking, & remaining silent, he makes himself fully alert.

"In this way he remains focused internally on the body in & of itself, or focused externally... unsustained by anything in the world. This is how a monk remains focused on the body in & of itself."

~ Maha-satipatthana Sutta: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/digha/dn-22-tb0.html
  • edited September 2005
    Yogamama,
    I mditate fromally at least twice a day. An hour in the morning and an hour at night before going to bed. In The morning I have a plce in my back yard to meditate and watch the sunrise. To me this is the best time.
  • edited September 2005
    I chant and meditate once in the morning and again in the evening for 30 minutes each time, sometimes longer. It just depends. I also recite portions of the Lotus Sutra (what Nichiren Buddhists call doing gongyo) When Nichiren Buddhists chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, it is called doing daimoku.

Adiana :mullet: :type:
  • edited September 2005
    I do some sort of formal meditation maybe 3 or 4 times a week when other times I might just lay on my bed and clear my mind and examine my actions for the day.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    "When am I NOT meditating?"
    As with Brian, I find myself throughout the day, just 'being' in the moment. No matter what it is I'm doing, I just 'Do' it.....
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I am a person in need of discipline, so I have a regular timetable of meditation. In the morning, I begin with prostrations and some mantras, particularly if I have managed to get up for the sunrise (getting easier as it gets later!LOL), followed by an hour of sitting. Whenever possible, I follow this by a time of study.

As I walk each day, I use my walking time as a practice of focused awareness. This has developed from my Christian "practice of the presence of God" based on the little book by Brother Lawrence anmd the poems of George Herbert.

At night, I continue to use Saint Ignatius's method of examination of conscience to review the day. In preparation, I meditate on my body and, usually, on death. Finally, after more prostrations and mantras, I spend about 30 minutes in silence before going to bed.
    edited September 2005
    [font=Palatino, Times Roman, Times, serif]Everything can be used as an invitation to meditation. A smile, a face in the subway, the sight of a small flower growing in the crack of cement pavement, a fall of rich cloth in a shop window, the way the sun lights up flower pots on a windowsill. Be alert for any sign of beauty or grace. Offer up every joy, be awake at all moments, to “the news that is always arriving out of silence.”[/font] [font=Palatino, Times Roman, Times, serif]Slowly, you will become a master of your own bliss, a chemist of your own joy, with all sorts of remedies always at hand to elevate, cheer, illuminate, and inspire your every breath and movement.
    [/font]

[font=Palatino, Times Roman, Times, serif]
    [/font]
  • edited September 2005
    Well, I guess I meditate more often than I thought. After reading everyone else's posts, I realized that meditation isn't just sitting in a full lotus position for a certian amount if time each night. However, I don't know about meditating while going to the bathroom! I haven't done that before, but I guess it's worth a try. Again I will say...what is it with men and doing things while they go to the bathroom??? :)
  • edited September 2005
    Yogamama, I was wondering the same thing.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    ......and do we REALLY want to go down that road.....? :p
  • edited September 2005
    One formal sitting was enough for me. I don't have the words to describe it, but I don't feel the need to meditate.
    edited September 2005
    I have an excellent little book by a guy called Jim Pym titled 'you don't have to sit on the floor!' This is Buddhism from the perspective of someone who is both an ordained Zen Monk AND a practising Quaker, and shoots holes (in the nicest possible way! :) ) in all the myths surrounding practise, devotion and dedication. The title refers to the mistaken belief that you can only truly meditate by sitting cross-legged on the floor.... nice little book. Full of interesting anecdotes and well researched.
  • edited September 2005
    There are so many good books out there that I want to read right now!!! I will check that one out Fede.
    edited September 2005
    One of the wonderful Dzogchen texts is Nang-jang (Refining Apparent Phenomena) by Dudjom Lingpa. It's full title translates as Buddhahood Without Meditation: Advice for Making One's Own True Face Evident as the Great Perfection That Is The Inherent Nature. Tibetans love a snappy title!

It's not an easy study and I have only been reading it for the past 5 years or so, reaching about a third of the way through, but it is very rewarding.

A bi-lingual text is published by Padma Publishing (1994) but don't expect some sort of Western self-help, "get-Enlightenment-in-an-hour" text.
  • edited September 2005

A bi-lingual text is published by Padma Publishing (1994) but don't expect some sort of Western self-help, "get-Enlightenment-in-an-hour" text.

LOL - you mean to tell me it is going to take longer than a few hours for me to become enlightened?? Well, forget it then!!!
  • treetop_buddhatreetop_buddha Explorer
    edited September 2005
    yep i ussaly med. in da shower
  • edited September 2005
    Brian wrote:
    honestly i don't ever sit down for "formal" meditation. I meditate while going to the bathroom (don't laugh!), while laying in bed before I go to sleep, while driving, and whenever I need to step back for a second and refocus.

Sounds like you and I have the same meditation style ;) I do my best thinking (and reading) in the bathroom.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I'm going to right now!

Oh yeah... and I kind of do the formal thing. At this point, I have an attachment to set aside a time and place for it. I'm sure this will change as all things do.

-bf
  • edited September 2005
    I set aside about 20 minutes in the morning for sitting. I was getting up earlier than I had to in the mornings anyway, so it fits right into my schedule. I just cut out my morning internet time (and since I work at a computer all day, I really don't miss it.)