Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Soka Gakkai, New Youth

MX_83MX_83 Explorer
edited June 2010 in General Banter
Where are all the youth from the SGI at online? Is no one having discussions about Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism under the age of 35? What's up with that?

Comments

• RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited May 2010
    MX_83 wrote: »
    Where are all the youth from the SGI at online? Is no one having discussions about Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism under the age of 35? What's up with that?
    Hi Mx, I don't practice Nichiren Buddhism, but I've noticed the same thing. Now that E-Sangha is gone and Beliefnet's Nichiren forum is inactive, it seems like there's no Nichiren discussion online.

The only thing I can suggest is doing a Google search for "nichiren and forum" and checking any forums that come up to see if they have recent posts.

Best of luck.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited May 2010
    is it wildly different and incompatible with other forms of Buddhism?

here seems to be a nice place to discuss...
  • MX_83MX_83 Explorer
    edited May 2010
    Here's a post I just made with my take: http://newbuddhist.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110358&postcount=15

And here's some useful and relevant info from the SGI-USA website: http://www.sgi-usa.org/memberresources/resources/indiatoamerica/
  • edited June 2010
    Hello, MX_83 -

I used to be an SGI member; I've changed schools within the last decade. From what I remember, SGI-USA was recommending that members not spend much time online - they had a tendency to run into ideas and concepts which didn't sit well with how SGI was teaching at the time.

10 years later, I can't tell you what they do, except that like you I notice few younger SGI members online.
  • edited June 2010
  • RenGalskapRenGalskap Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hey Engyo, where are Nichiren Buddhists hanging out online these days?
  • edited June 2010
    RenGalskap wrote: »
    Hi Mx, I don't practice Nichiren Buddhism, but I've noticed the same thing. Now that E-Sangha is gone and Beliefnet's Nichiren forum is inactive, it seems like there's no Nichiren discussion online.

The only thing I can suggest is doing a Google search for "nichiren and forum" and checking any forums that come up to see if they have recent posts.

Best of luck.
    Nichiren Buddhism is not practicing meditation:confused:
  • edited June 2010
    Disney wrote: »
    Nichiren Buddhism is not practicing meditation:confused:
    Hi, Disney -

Some folks don't think that chanting can be a form of meditation. Others of us do think so; I personally believe that Nichiren thought so, but can't prove it right this minute.

Hi, Ren - the Nichiren community online is very quiet at the moment. From my school, people are worrying more about daily practice and less about online discussions; can't really say what's going on with the other schools.
  • edited June 2010
    :D
    Some folks don't think that chanting can be a form of meditation
    Buddha Sakyamuni achieved the unsurpassed wholesome and still chanting - the NamoBuddha :p
  • MX_83MX_83 Explorer
    edited June 2010
    Disney wrote: »
    Nichiren Buddhism is not practicing meditation

Nichiren says in his writings, called Gosho, that chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo contains the benfits all other practices. It's calming, develops concentration, insight, and brings "benefits" or "blessings" like prayer. People chant for things, about things, and just to chant because it makes one happy and improves oneself and one's life. However chanting is a powerful, outward directed practice - rather than a passive, introspective one - that causes our darkest karma to come forth so that we can challenge it directly and overcome it in this lifetime.

Engyo wrote: »
    Hello, MX_83 -

From what I remember, SGI-USA was recommending that members not spend much time online - they had a tendency to run into ideas and concepts which didn't sit well with how SGI was teaching at the time.

It's certainly easy to waste time online. It makes sense that members might be advised to avoid the web because of that, but the internet is the best way to connect over long distances. With this new "Rock the Era" movement going on, I'm surprised that I haven't seen a national or international dialogue happening online. I would expect to see people sharing experiences and ideas about how best to relate Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism to the next generation, but I don't.

No one has ever told me not to talk about the practice online, though I could understand why people might be given that guidance. If the leaders are constantly confronted by members holding ideas contrary to the way things are taught by the organization, it would certainly make things hectic.

My suspicion is that the reality of the situation is different. I suspect that there simply aren't enough youth who care much about Buddhism or who feel they understand it well enough to have a dialogue. I suspect that the power of Nichiren Buddhist practice isn't being conveyed to the "youth" (35 and below) in a way that appeals to them - or that makes sense to them.

I could be wrong, but if so, I wish I knew why.
  • edited June 2010
    SGI-USA was recommending that members not spend much time online
    I think I also have to minimise my time online :)