Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

another tattoo

patbbpatbb Veteran
edited June 2010 in General Banter
hello,

i would like to get a buddhist tattoo

I was thinking about putting a tiny sitting Bussha on the side of my index finger, or a symbol that would mean something (like the wheel thingy...)

so either on the side of my index finger, where i can see constantly, or a little bigger one on the inside of one of my wrist.

the point would be to have something to look at, that would remind me to breath and be mindful everytime i see it... (I know i don't neeeed to, but i thought why not?)

anyhow if you have any suggestion of meaningful symbols or words written in the original Buddha language (I know nothing of them), please send them my way :)

thank you lovely meditation practitioners!!

Comments

• edited June 2010
    http://picasaweb.google.nl/116194078...70596713922834

Hi, this is my tattoo. It's from a calligraphy by the Vietnamese Zenmaster Thich Nhat Hanh.

This is it, now, this moment is where your life and where your happiness can be found. And this is the body you have to cherish and look after. A reminder I look at every day...

Pieter
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Keep in mind that something that's right in front of your face 24/7 is likely to become overlooked. I thought about a tattoo in a conspicuous place like that as well, but have decided against it for that reason. If it's something you don't see every time you have your eyes open, it might possibly achieve its objective more. I plan on a dharma wheel on my shoulder, so I will typically only see it when my shirt is off and I look in a mirror.

Mtns
  • edited June 2010
    there are some great tattoo's shown in the tattoo thread... go over there.
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I would recommend you think long and hard before you get a tattoo on your wrist, hand, or fingers. Don't just think about your current position, but your future position, or potential positions. A good friend of mine, who was also my artist, used to call tattoos on the wrist out (or hands, fingers, ect.) "job breakers." You don't have the opportunity to not show them. Every time you put your hand out to shake and greet someone, there's the tattoo. You might be alright with it, but clients, bosses, girlfriend's parents might not be. It would be advised that you not close doors before you have the chance to open them.

But if you think about it and you are sure, go for it
    patbb wrote: »
    anyhow if you have any suggestion of meaningful symbols or words written in the original Buddha language (I know nothing of them), please send them my way :)

I would also recommend you think about what you are getting. Make sure you know what it means. I've met people with chinese characters tattooed on them, and they all say "it means courage" (or something else) and I respond "no, the artist told you it means courage. I can't read chinese, neither can you. Who knows what it means."
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    thank you for the wise advices!

I'm an artist so my appearance is not very important job wise.

this tattoo is suppose to be very small, so i could always hide it by borrowing some makeup from my wife :)

but thanks for the concerns!

btw I still haven't found "sati" in the Pali language letters. Anyone can help please?