Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

loneliness

edited June 2010 in General Banter
So I feel like many of my friends are not as self-aware as I am -I don't know if this is fair to say- if I am able to judge that- but I guess I mean that they are more interested in material items and gaining societal status than I am. I have not yet found friends who have similar viewpoints as me.

I try to practice my compassion when my friends continue to gossip or shop for expensive items that they believe will bring them happiness- however I find myself becoming lonely. I feel so blessed that I have reached a way of thinking that has allowed me to become satisfied with who I am and my viewpoint on the world, but I also feel that it makes me lonely since I haven't found others who think this way (besides this forum).

This could all be good- I haven't been attached to any particular friendship- I really have just been working on myself. But I was wondering if anyone has any advice or has had a similar experience in having to balance non-attachment/differences from others yet using compassion with loneliness?

Thank you very much!

Comments

• edited June 2010
    It helps to focus on the similarities between people. I think that there are far more similarities, yet we tend to exaggerate the differences and that just increases loneliness.
  • edited June 2010
    In any case, I think most people feel lonely. It's pretty common to wish that we could connect to people on a less superficial level.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Loneliness does not arise if you are your own best friend. Be happy to be who you are, then if friends come, fine, if they go, also fine.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Jigrieco,

There are two different angles to this problem, and I must admit I ran into the same issue. The first is that being lonely is ok, its natural to feel a bit of solitude when you are in a much different place than the people around you. Its like being in a crowd of people who don't speak in a language that is compatible, and they are watching a game you aren't interested in. At least it was for me.

So just notice that loneliness. Well, hello there! Its just another feeling, kind of like boredom or drowsiness in meditation. Notice and keep observing. Eventually, the feeling passes and you can be much more compassionate in the moment with others. What you do is dissolve the part of "you" that is viewing itself as separate from them, and you can appreciate where they are at more fully. Does that make sense?

The other side of it is that having friends who share a similar view to your own could be wonderful to cultivate. :) To find some, ask yourself this: If you were free from any ties, and were going to go do something based 100% off what your heart wishes you'd do, where would you go? I'll bet if you head toward that answer, you'll find others who share the same focus and compassionate view as your own.

As you're cultivating more mindfulness, you're bound to be bound to old hangouts, old friends and old patterns. Be courageous enough to outgrow them... your roots will thank you.

With warmth,

Matt
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Well said, as usual Matt.
  • edited June 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    Loneliness does not arise if you are your own best friend. Be happy to be who you are, then if friends come, fine, if they go, also fine.

Very true.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Ajahn Brahm talk on loneliness
    <object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6fb4IYpKYRA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6fb4IYpKYRA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&border=1&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Hi Jigreico

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes it does feel lonely out here, especially if you live somewhere that you're the only Buddhist for miles in any direction (or so it seems). But even other Buddhists don't always get along well with each other. We're all just people after all. I'm sure I do things that would drive other dharma practitioners nuts :) But as noted above, just notice the loneliness and let that help you along the path. People come and go in our lives all the time. Try not to cling to them thinking "oh no, if I let them go I'll be even lonelier...". Just go with the flow!

Peace

Mtns
  • edited June 2010
    So I feel like many of my friends are not as self-aware as I am -I don't know if this is fair to say- if I am able to judge that- but I guess I mean that they are more interested in material items and gaining societal status than I am. I have not yet found friends who have similar viewpoints as me.

It can be tempting for people who are well-read or interested in philosophy to begin to feel isolated or above their peers. I felt that sort of tug when I began devouring books back in high school, but I thankfully kept myself pretty well grounded and down-to-earth. Hard labor and 6-day work weeks helped with that, since all my witticisms and historical knowledge went out the window when a wall needed to be painted.
    This could all be good- I haven't been attached to any particular friendship- I really have just been working on myself. But I was wondering if anyone has any advice or has had a similar experience in having to balance non-attachment/differences from others yet using compassion with loneliness?

I know the lonlieness feeling though. I've struggled with it before despite many friends. Especially after breaking up with my ex. I tend to be pretty different from most of my good friends. I avoid the drinking, the drugs, consumerism, and the fast life in general. Nothing really morally against it, but I've always been too cheap to bother with such things. :lol:

I say the more friends the merrier personally. Just enjoy your friends for the good company that they are, and forget the fact that you have differences in attitudes towards life and living. It works pretty well for me.
  • edited June 2010
    Loneliness is just one type of craving. If it comes up frequently, it's a good sign that you haven't mastered your mind and that there is work to do.

Cheers, Thomas
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited June 2010
    The famous magician whose miraculous performances you have
    thoroughly enjoyed on many an occasion, is back again in your
    town. The news of his arrival has spread far and wide, and eager
    crowds are now making for the large hall where he is due to perform
    today. You too buy a ticket and manage to enter the hall. There is
    already a scramble for seats, but you are not keen on securing one,
    for you have entered with a different purpose in mind. You have had
    a bright idea to outwit the magician -- to play a trick on him
    yourself. So you cut your way through the thronging crowds and
    stealthily creep into some concealed corner of the stage.

The magician enters the stage through the dark curtains, clad in
    his pitchy black suit. Black boxes containing his secret stock-in-
    trade are also now on the stage. The performance starts and from
    your point of vantage you watch. And as you watch with sharp eyes
    every movement of the magician, you now begin to discover, one
    after the other, the secrets behind those 'breath taking' miracles of
    your favourite magician. The hidden holes and false bottoms in his
    magic boxes, the counterfeits and secret pockets, the hidden strings
    and buttons that are pulled and pressed under the cover of the frantic
    waving of his magic-wand. Very soon you see through his bag of
    wily tricks so well, that you are able to discover his next 'surprise'
    well in advance. Since you can now anticipate his 'surprises' they no
    longer surprise you. His 'tricks' no longer deceive you. His 'magic'
    has lost its magic for you. It no longer kindles your imagination as it
    used to do in the past. The magician's 'hocus-pocus' and
    'abracadabra' and his magic-wand now suggest nothing to you -- for
    you know them now for what they are, that is : 'meaningless'. The
    whole affair has now turned out to be an empty-show, one vast hoax
    ---- a treachery.

In utter disgust, you turn away from it to take a peep at the
    audience below. And what a sight ! A sea of craned necks - eyes
    that gaze in blind admiration; mouths that gape in dumb
    appreciation; the 'Ah!'s and 'Oh!'s and whistles of speechless
    amazement.

Truly, a strange admixture of tragedy and comedy which you
    could have enjoyed instead of the magic-show, if not for the fact that
    you yourself were in that same sorry plight on many a previous
    occasion. Moved by compassion for this frenzied crowd, you almost
    frown on the magician as he chuckles with a sinister grin at every
    applause from his admirers. "How is it," you wonder, "that I have
    been deceived so long by this crook of a magician ?" You are fed up
    with all this and swear to yourself - "Never will I waste my time and
    money on such empty shows, Nev-ver."

The show ends. Crowds are now making for the exit. You too slip
    out of your hiding place unseen, and mingle with them. Once
    outside, you spot a friend of yours whom you know as a keen admirer
    of this magician. Not wishing to embarrass him with news of your
    unusual experience, you try to avoid him, but you are too late. Soon
    you find yourself listening to a vivid commentary on the magic
    performance. Your friend is now reliving those moments of the
    'bliss-of-ignorance' which he had just been enjoying. But before
    long he discovers that you are mild and reserved today, and wonders
    how you could be so, after such a marvellous show.

"Why? You were in the same hall all this time, weren't you?”
    "Yes, I was."
    "Then, were you sleeping?"
    "Oh! No."
    "You weren't watching closely, I suppose."
    "No, no, I was watching it alright, may be I was watching
    too closely."
    "You say you were watching, but you don't seem to have seen
    the show."
    "No, I saw it. In fact I saw it so well that I missed the show!”
  • edited June 2010
    You all helped me very much- even after I posted this I noticed the loneliness fading away which further proves that emotions really are changing at all times!

Thanks a lot :)