Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditating at work...

nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
edited June 2010 in Meditation
I've tried meditating at work in between calls with modest success to reduce stress. However, one co-worker caught me at this and I simply explained that I was resting my eyes. Does anyone have any thoughts about the effectiveness of meditating in a noisy environment, as well as any explanations that might keep proselytizers away?

Comments

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    nakazcid wrote: »
    as well as any explanations that might keep proselytizers away?
    I'm meditating.

:)

do you feel shame when you think about saying that you are meditating to your coworkers?
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I think that even trying and having modest success in a noisy environment is AWESOME! If you don't feel comfortable telling your coworker that you're meditating, just tell her that you're practicing a new technique for stress relief. Not even a lie!
  • edited June 2010
    I've tried meditating at work in between calls with modest success to reduce stress. However, one co-worker caught me at this and I simply explained that I was resting my eyes. Does anyone have any thoughts about the effectiveness of meditating in a noisy environment, as well as any explanations that might keep proselytizers away?
    My advice would be next time a co-worker catches you meditating and asks what you are doing say, "I'm meditating".
    You cant meditate if you are anxious about the very act of meditating.
    Also, your meditation will be more effective in busy environments if you develop some acumen with meditation in a calm environment.
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    edited June 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    I'm meditating.

:)

do you feel shame when you think about saying that you are meditating to your coworkers?
    Well, there are a few reasons I don't want to get into a discussion about religion at work. Firstly, I work in the Bible Belt of the USA, where any religion but Christianity is frowned upon. So I'm admittedly afraid of attracting any stigma or discrimination associated with being non-Christian. I also don't want to get into a discussion about why I'm not a Christian, which could lead to unpleasant words. In addition, I'm a little worried about having to fend off conversion attempts. I'm also reluctant to be pegged as a non-conformist at work, which could have consequences.

I may be trying to avoid the consequences of not practicing the majority religion. I could simply state that I'm meditating since that's not necessarily a religious activity. However, it could prompt questions in that direction. *
  • JetsFan366JetsFan366 Explorer
    edited June 2010
    Hi Nakazcid -

that's a tough situation, but I agree with shenpen nangwa. I think you should say you're meditating. There is a Christian tradition of meditation (though it's not all that well known), so I don't see why anyone would have a problem with it (not that they should have a problem with other religions anyway...). Also, you are making a lot of assumptions about how your coworkers will act. These may be well founded. That being said, I find that often times I imagine the worst about how people will react to certain things and when I actually go through with them, am pleasantly surprised.

Maybe you could say 'I'm praying'. Which is kindof true. Not sure about that tho- Anyone else have any thoughts?

all the best-
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2010
    nakazcid,

Jesus was an avid meditator.

I think dealing with your fears is something you could cultivate. You could ask yourself some tough questions! For instance: If the people around you would hate you if they knew the real you, why do you accept being surrounded by people who isolate you?

However, for the time being, if the place you are in is important enough to stay, you could just easily tell them you're calming yourself down, following a meditation technique you've learned etc. There is no need to be secular, if that will make others uncomfortable. There is honor in speaking truly, but there is even more honor in speaking skillfully as well.

With warmth,

Matt
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Meditation is not a religious activity. It's probably one of the most purely non-denominational things you can do. :)

Tried meditating in the loo? :D
  • edited June 2010
    Well, there are a few reasons I don't want to get into a discussion about religion at work. Firstly, I work in the Bible Belt of the USA, where any religion but Christianity is frowned upon. So I'm admittedly afraid of attracting any stigma or discrimination associated with being non-Christian. I also don't want to get into a discussion about why I'm not a Christian, which could lead to unpleasant words. In addition, I'm a little worried about having to fend off conversion attempts. I'm also reluctant to be pegged as a non-conformist at work, which could have consequences.

I may be trying to avoid the consequences of not practicing the majority religion. I could simply state that I'm meditating since that's not necessarily a religious activity. However, it could prompt questions in that direction. *
    Dont meditate at work then.
    Until you are comfortable with what you are doing and stop worrying about other peoples hang-ups you arent going to be relaxed enough for it to be effective anyway.
    Lincoln's post holds a lot of truth. You shouldnt be ashamed of taking care of your mind and overall well being through the non-denominational practice of meditation.
  • edited June 2010
    There is always a restroom break. :D

After all, it's named right for that "rest-Room" :rolleyes:

even if it's for just a short 5-10 min break.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I also don't want to get into a discussion about why I'm not a Christian, which could lead to unpleasant words.

This is why I usually use "Christian" (in quotes) to describe this type of person. If they truly practiced what Jesus taught, you wouldn't be worried about this in the first place. Perhaps that's judgmental of me, but in this case I gotta call 'em like I see 'em. I live in the bible belt as well, but I have "Friends of Tibet" license plates and have never been afraid to tell anyone I'm Buddhist (as much as I am) if the question is asked of me. I've never had anyone do anything more than give a quizzical stare, since, in my experience, most "Christians" have not the first clue what Buddhism is. I got more negative feedback when I had a "Darwin" fish on my car, and more on the stickers advocating health care reform. Boy, that really gets their ire up! :)

Mtns
  • edited June 2010
    I work in the Bible Belt of the USA, where any religion but Christianity is frowned upon. So I'm admittedly afraid of attracting any stigma or discrimination associated with being non-Christian.

Gee, is it that bad?

In this case, you might answer: "Oh, I was just conversing with the devil about the next coming of the Antichrist. -- Have you seen my idols?"

OK, seriously, you can always refer to Teresa of Avila and her prayer of quiet. Meditation was once a respected practice in Christianity.

Cheers, Thomas
  • edited June 2010
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    I think that even trying and having modest success in a noisy environment is AWESOME! If you don't feel comfortable telling your coworker that you're meditating, just tell her that you're practicing a new technique for stress relief. Not even a lie!

I agree with this. Personally I have no idea how you're able to meditate at all in a noisy office environment, I know I couldn't! Though when I use to work in an office, I found that meditating at home regularly would help reduce stress in the office somewhat (as, of course, it does on all aspects of life).
    twaitsfan wrote: »
    Also, you are making a lot of assumptions about how your coworkers will act. These may be well founded. That being said, I find that often times I imagine the worst about how people will react to certain things and when I actually go through with them, am pleasantly surprised.

I think this is a very good point, I've certainly had some experiences like this myself.

It's a difficult situation and I guess at the end of the day you know your coworkers better than we do, so it's a judgement you'll have to make yourself. I think personally if I wasn't comfortable with the possibility of being asked what I'm doing and having to come up with an explanation, I'd simply not meditate at all at work.
    edited June 2010
    Thanks for all the replies. It appears that I may be letting my fears get the better of me. I will continue trying to meditate at work, and if pressed for an explanation, explain that I am meditating for stress relief and try to avoid getting into a religious discussion.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Just tell them you are relaxing for a bit and this particular thing you are doing works really good. And then teach them how to do it too. Pretty soon you could have everyone in your office meditating without them even knowing that they are meditating!:lol:
  • WonderingSeekerWonderingSeeker Explorer
    edited June 2010
    You could always say you are resting your eyes. That way you are not introducing the word "meditation" if you think it will cause you & them distress because of the religious connotations but it is accurate. :)
  • edited June 2010
    I thought that when at work the idea is to work unless you are on a break. Not working when you are employed to do so is classed as a type of taking what is not yours. Buddhist teaching is that if you are employed, then you do your job.

So I assume that you are meditating in your break, in which case you've had lots of advice to which I can't add anything.

Metta
  • JetsFan366JetsFan366 Explorer
    edited June 2010
    "I thought that when at work the idea is to work unless you are on a break"

That is a pretty smarmy response. There are many jobs that you have moments of downtime when you're waiting for something you need. Yes, there is probably something you probably could be doing, but if it's the case as it is with the TC, then she is waiting for another call. Technically she is working. They are paying her to field any call that comes in. That in-between time can be a time when the mind really wanders.
    edited June 2010
    Fran45 wrote: »
    I thought that when at work the idea is to work unless you are on a break. Not working when you are employed to do so is classed as a type of taking what is not yours. Buddhist teaching is that if you are employed, then you do your job.

So I assume that you are meditating in your break, in which case you've had lots of advice to which I can't add anything.

Metta
    Fran45-

My work involves responding to calls from employees when they call in with problems. In between calls, I have nothing to do. Most of my co-workers "surf the web" in the intervals between calls. I suppose if I asked my manager, he would prefer that I take courses (difficult given the episodic nature of the work) or brush up on my technical skills in between calls - some of which I do. But one could also argue that meditation enhances my customer service skills by making me more responsive to employee needs and less stressed out.
  • edited June 2010
    I apologise if my post was 'smarmy' or offensive in anyway. It wasn't meant to be, and I understand completely now that I've read your last post!

Metta
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    If your performance at the job is not affected by it, I'd say there's no harm in meditating at work, but if you find you'll be constantly interrupted by either phone calls or co-workers, I'd just stick to applying mindfulness to whatever you are doing, instead of an official sitting session.

I can totally understand your wish to not get into any conversations about religion. I have to avoid that like the plague with my family, even when I'm constantly being bombarded by their religious pushing.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I try to practice walking meditation at work. My problem is I get so involved with work I forget
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2010

Perhaps stating the obvious, but meditation isn't really about relaxation, so it might be better to think about activities that will help you relax?

P
    edited June 2010
    If your performance at the job is not affected by it, I'd say there's no harm in meditating at work, but if you find you'll be constantly interrupted by either phone calls or co-workers, I'd just stick to applying mindfulness to whatever you are doing, instead of an official sitting session.

Actually, I find that it enhances my performance. Aside from relaxation, it makes one more mindful and compassionate, and perhaps a bit more flexible and creative in my solutions. I do need to explore it more. Interruptions can occur at anywhere between 3 minute and 15 minute intervals, the latter of which can still be fairly effective. It's something I need to play with more...