Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Path to Stream Entry

GuyCGuyC Veteran
edited June 2010 in Philosophy
Hi Friends,

How can we determine whether or not we are on the path to Stream-Entry? Is it possible for anyone to accurately say so, other than a Buddha?

With Metta,

Guy

Comments

• RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited June 2010
    A teacher representing a tradition that is demonstrably virtuous can set us on the right path.

Others may disagree. :)
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    But why is it that some people in the Buddha's time would listen to a discourse (or several) then go off and practice and achieve results while others would not?
    edited June 2010
    Probably the same reason as today. Some of us are deeply immersed in our melodrama and confusion, some of us less so, and some not so much. Maybe like today some people had open hearts and deep faith, while some are plagued with doubt?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I think you're probably right.
  • edited June 2010
    If you devote your time and effort to fully understanding and practicing all that is part of the 'Noble Eightfold Path', then you're on the path. That's why it's called the path. :)

Namaste
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Thanks Javelin and Richard for your input.

I think there is a reasonable chance I am on the path even though at times it seems like I am crawling along like a snail. But even if I'm not on the path, I am still trying my best (even if my best doesn't meet some idealized expectations of myself that may be lurking around in the back of my mind) to understand the Dhamma (and refine my understanding) and to follow the Noble Eightfold Path - So I don't think I can ask more of myself than that.

The strange thing is that I have faith in the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha and I even have faith in my ability to walk the Path, but sometimes I wonder if I am making use of that ability as best as I could be.

Perhaps just recognizing doubt as doubt is sufficient to not get caught up in it. Or maybe I actually do need to kick my practice up a notch. What do you think?
  • edited June 2010
    There's only one GuyC that can answer that, and no one else.

Namaste
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Thanks Javelin, you're right.

I just realized I contradicted myself:
    But even if I'm not on the path, I am still trying my best (even if my best doesn't meet some idealized expectations of myself that may be lurking around in the back of my mind) to understand the Dhamma (and refine my understanding) and to follow the Noble Eightfold Path - So I don't think I can ask more of myself than that.
    And
    I even have faith in my ability to walk the Path, but sometimes I wonder if I am making use of that ability as best as I could be.
    But both of these seem true at different times. Sometimes I think I am trying my best and other times I doubt my progress. Perhaps the problem is measuring my progress in the first place as Matt pointed out in another thread. But then if I don't measure how will I know if I am headed in the right direction or not. Or maybe I need to measure on a larger time scale (year to year). It can be very confusing at times being a putthujjana. :D

Fortunately I am going on another meditation retreat (which I am really looking forward to) tomorrow so I am just going to throw all the doubting away (at least for a little while) and just do the practice....But then maybe if....:lol:

There are passages in the Suttas like this which stick in my mind and make me think that maybe ordaining is the best way for me:
    "A householder or householder's son, hearing the Dhamma, gains conviction in the Tathagata and reflects: 'Household life is confining, a dusty path. The life gone forth is like the open air. It is not easy living at home to practice the holy life totally perfect, totally pure, like a polished shell. What if I were to shave off my hair and beard, put on the ochre robes, and go forth from the household life into homelessness?'
    "Samaññaphala Sutta: The Fruits of the Contemplative Life"(DN 2), translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. Access to Insight, June 8, 2010, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.02.0.than.html

The only way to know for sure is by giving it a go. But there are a few things I need to sort out as a lay person until then, so until such time I guess I need to just try my best within the confines of a household environment, remembering that "it is not easy living at home to practice the holy life".

My hat goes off to those of you who are well established in their practice while living as a lay person.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I figured, follow the teaching of a teacher who have been very successful at guiding his own students.

This is why I follow Ajahn Chah's teaching.
    this is also why i don't follow Mahayana, zen, random monks etc.. teachings.
    Althought i like to listen to the Dalai Lama, but this is more of a philosophical, lifestyle interest.
    edited June 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    I figured, follow the teaching of a teacher who have been very successful at guiding his own students..
    Good call
    This is why I follow Ajahn Chah's teaching..
    good call
    this is also why i don't follow Mahayana, zen, ..
    Bad call. if you think that there are not equally good teachers and students. Putting Mahayana on par with...
    random monks etc....
    .... is ridiculous.

You know Chah only from books and have never attended our Thai Forest Sangha in Toronto Pat. You do not have a teacher in Ajahn Chah's lineage. Going to Sunim's Zendo at College and Spadina now and then doesn't constitute being a student of Zen either. Sorry, but your statement was really insulting and bogus.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    You know Chah only from books and have never attended our Thai Forest Sangha in Toronto Pat. You do not have a teacher in Ajahn Chah's lineage. Going to Sunim's Zendo at College and Spadina now and then doesn't constitute being a student of Zen either. Sorry, but your statement was really insulting and bogus.
    lol

it was only my opinion.

stating why i do what i do.

Not implying or saying that others are right or wrong to do what they do.

If you keep on taking words and opinions personally, you will keep on getting insulted ;)
    edited June 2010
    It was Kojip (my precept name) the Zen guy who was insulted.

Richard, the Lay Thai Forest guy, was just inappropriately possessive.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    I figured, follow the teaching of a teacher who have been very successful at guiding his own students.

This is why I follow Ajahn Chah's teaching.

I have read a few of Ajahn Chah's books and they are very interesting and potentially useful...but...I think that we need to be careful when learning Dhamma just from books alone since certain teachings are given in certain contexts to certain individuals often for very specific reasons.

I feel extremely fortunate to live in Western Australia where Ajahn Brahm (who as you probably know was a student of Ajahn Chah's) resides so I can go to him (when he's not too busy) and ask him questions about my practice. He has a real knack for teaching Dhamma and has already helped me a great deal, particularly in inspiring me to practice.

But even better than books and teachers, as Javelin has mentioned, is overcoming doubts by ourselves. As much as I appreciate the guidance and support of fellow Buddhists, there is only so much they can do, the rest is up to me.

I better get ready for my meditation retreat now. After 10 days of meditation I should at least be a stream-enterer, if not a once-returner, so I will come back here and teach you how to do it too. :lol:
  • edited June 2010
    GuyC wrote: »
    I have read a few of Ajahn Chah's books and they are very interesting and potentially useful...but...I think that we need to be careful when learning Dhamma just from books alone since certain teachings are given in certain contexts to certain individuals often for very specific reasons.
    I think this is at the very heart of our confusion and our problems concerning 'which' Dhamma/Dharma. The Buddha's method of teaching was different depending upon the individual, their premise (why they were asking, or where they were coming from mentally), and their ability to understand as judged by the Buddha.

It's important to do your own research (hopefully of more than one tradition), observe life, and meditate. :)

Namaste
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2010
    It was Kojip (my precept name) the Zen guy who was insulted.

Richard, the Lay Thai Forest guy, was just inappropriately possessive.
    LOL!!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2010

I feel extremely fortunate to live in Western Australia where Ajahn Brahm (who as you probably know was a student of Ajahn Chah's) resides so I can go to him (when he's not too busy) and ask him questions about my practice. He has a real knack for teaching Dhamma and has already helped me a great deal, particularly in inspiring me to practice.

But even better than books and teachers, as Javelin has mentioned, is overcoming doubts by ourselves. As much as I appreciate the guidance and support of fellow Buddhists, there is only so much they can do, the rest is up to me.

I better get ready for my meditation retreat now. After 10 days of meditation I should at least be a stream-enterer, if not a once-returner, so I will come back here and teach you how to do it too. :lol:
    Lol!! Can't wait!

It's so wonderful that you can go to Ajahn Brahm to discuss your journey. We're so incredibly fortunate to have the teachers and resources we have in the world today. It was only 30 some years ago that it was still difficult to find Buddhist teachings written in English in the West and look at everything we have today. Amazing. Just amazing.

I hope you have a great retreat, Guy.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Brigid wrote: »
    It's so wonderful that you can go to Ajahn Brahm to discuss your journey. We're so incredibly fortunate to have the teachers and resources we have in the world today. It was only 30 some years ago that it was still difficult to find Buddhist teachings written in English in the West and look at everything we have today. Amazing. Just amazing.
    Agreed :)
    I hope you have a great retreat, Guy.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    but...I think that we need to be careful when learning Dhamma just from books alone since certain teachings are given in certain contexts to certain individuals often for very specific reasons.
    i guess that was addressed to me;

I agree that it would be wise to get a good grasp on Buddhism and having a qualified teacher to ask questions to before practicing alone.

Books can very often be interpreted the wrong way, and a wrong interpretation about a fundamental notion can mean years of crucial misunderstanding leading to a waste of time and no progress.

But personally, i never claimed to learn the Dhamma only from books.
    Richard H did so, for un-Buddha like reasons :p
    edited June 2010
    But personally, i never claimed to learn the Dhamma only from books.
    Richard H did so, for un-Buddha like reasons :p
    I believe I said you know Ajahn Chah (his lineage) through books, because we live in the same town, the Thai Forest Sangha both Lay and Ordained is small, and you do not seem to have ever participated. Sorry if that is presumptuous.
    Proclaiming yourself a follower of Ajahn Chah and denegrating Mahayana Buddhism in the same breath is something no one in the Sangha does.

Maybe I got you all wrong. If so sorry.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Proclaiming yourself a follower of Ajahn Chah
    I never did this.
    denigrating Mahayana Buddhism in the same breath
    never did this either
    is something no one in the Sangha does.
    Perhaps those in the Sangha (or at least one of them) should busy themselves working on themselves, until they developed enough equanimity not to offend themselves chatting in online discussion forums, and feel compelled to defend the honor of the groups or organizations they attached themselves to... ;)
    edited June 2010
    Ok Pat. Thank you.